Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game ready?

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Soki123 said:
    For you maybe, for me , worst game in a long while.

Ah you say the same thing about every game .....it's getting boring
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Bad.dog said:
    Soki123 said:
    For you maybe, for me , worst game in a long while.

Ah you say the same thing about every game .....it's getting boring

Nah, only lousy games, and this is one of them.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Honestly, get a friend or trial key, and give it a shot. It's different, and it's beautiful, and there's a lot to do especially if you like crafting. But, it's not a typical MMO when it comes to end-game. There really isn't one, unless you're into PVP and node wars.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I finally tried this game yesterday with a trial key.  It's definitely not your typical MMO.  Yes, there's quests, but they seem insignificant to the game as a whole (although i think they give you contribution points).

It looks ready to me, but i haven't even hit lvl 20 yet, so don't take my word as gospel if anyone hasn't tried it yet.  I've barely come across any bugs, and only a few crashes while messing with the settings.

I'm not feeling the combat though.  I don't really like combo-based combat in my mmos.  I'm glad i tried it out with a trial key first.  Easing new players into the game has been overwhelming to say the least.  
  • jonesing22jonesing22 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    BDO has a story that no one pays attention to. It has quests that everyone ignores because they are not a part of the game, unless you log in to specifically do quests or suddenly decide you need more contribution points. Any upgrade to your character, aside from leveling up, is pure RNG based. I've played 3 characters to level 56, I liked the berserker the most. It felt like a great game at first - killing enemies to level was great. Eventually I got tired of grinding, so I did gathering and I got tired of that after hitting Artisan level and for a while I switched between gathering or grinding for whatever items. Everything else is done while AFK. So then I was excited about nodewars. Turns out it's not really something that is very exciting. It's actually just three hours during the night guilds can fight for territory, which means nothing except for a fat paycheck. So then you have all this money in game, what do you do with it? Buy gear upgrades, I guess....the upgrade grind is only entertaining while getting upgrades. The problem I have is that there is no group content. You can go through the game without ever partying up, it's actually advantageous that way so you earn more skill points and exp is faster, and you keep the loot. The key to continue playing this game is an unhealthy desire to catch that carrot attached to the stick you are holding. All that said, the pvp can be exciting and I did get my money's worth of entertainment.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited August 2016
      Its simply a cash grab and you cant even argue the fact, its literally what the game was built around. It always felt like it would have been a great game if there was some passion behind the development but you can just feel that..there isnt.
  • NAERNAER Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited August 2016
    The games okay I suppose if you like insane amounts of grind and RNG and lackbuster PvP were it's all gear based and skill is meaningless, also you can't even really call it an "MMO" considering almost all the game has to offer you have to do solo and playing with friends actually does more harm then good.
    But if your looking for a way to kill some time and your okay with playing an mmo with damn near 0 social interaction then go for it.
  • Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    edited August 2016
    Best mmorpg since shadowbane / vanguard / age of conan  . When I play a wizard I can feel the power he has through the best control interface I've used in an mmorg.

The game is deep,  and massive. It is up to the player on what they do, which means the player needs to be pro-active instead of having their hand held.

If your goal is to go pew pew max level super fast, this is not the game for you. :)
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aori said:

That being said the quests, which you really don't have to do, are not very grindy compared to many MMOs.  Depends on the quest, and some numbers can get quite high, but generally the number required to complete the quest is relatively low.
    To be perfectly honest, you will have to do quests if you want contribution points.
    Or cook, I got about 70 CPs from cooking beer.. lots of beer.
    Cooking and alchemy by-products that you can turn in also give tons of CP, yep. :)
    Once you've got enough energy and materials to cook/brew up a huge batch it's probably faster, and a lot easier to get CP that way. Especially since you can just do it all in one location instead of running all over for quests.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited August 2016
    DMKano said:
    Does anything about his post make you think he'd want to roll on servers that encourage p2w ganking?

I mean, I guess that's what you're into, but why advise him to roll there?

That's just Kano's ever-present desire to stick it to Daum talking again. Because they removed the xp loss on death that he adored so much. =P

There are players who like the new systems, there are those who don't - there's a large split in the community.

The old system created contested PvE grind spots  - where PvP happened in the contested areas. 

Solo players were boned because they'd be WTFPWND in about 3 sec flat from a group of players.

so you needed to bring a group willing to PvP to hunt the best XP areas.

This entire style of open world PvP was removed by one super stupid change that only caters to solo players.

Any solo unguilded player can go farm anywhere in 100% safety and ignore PvP entirely even if he gets killed repeatedly by other players - he loses nothing - especially if he has tears.

I am in the camp that believes this was the worst change yet - it certainly led to some folks leaving the game for good.

There's still plenty of fighting at sausans.
    A player that uses tears doesn't lose "nothing", he's throwing away money. Not to mention... against a player that uses tears this patch doesn't matter anyway. They always got protection against XP loss from dying. ;)

So dying means either; you waste time by having to respawn and having to run back. Or you waste RL money on a cash shop item, with the risk of biting the dirt again shortly afterwards.

Just because you can't grief them by making them lose hours of work doesn't mean there are no consequences. In both cases you're also screwed out of earning XP, for which you presumably went there in the first place.

Also: good riddance to those who left for good. Let them go play Darkfall or something else that caters to their kind. :pleased:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Aori said:

That being said the quests, which you really don't have to do, are not very grindy compared to many MMOs.  Depends on the quest, and some numbers can get quite high, but generally the number required to complete the quest is relatively low.
    To be perfectly honest, you will have to do quests if you want contribution points.
    Or cook, I got about 70 CPs from cooking beer.. lots of beer.
    WTH I didn't know that.
    Rasiem said:
      Its simply a cash grab and you cant even argue the fact, its literally what the game was built around. It always felt like it would have been a great game if there was some passion behind the development but you can just feel that..there isnt.
    I can easily argue that "fact".  When I think cash grab, I think grab as much money and run.  For example, after a couple months in BnS, they released the most p2w RNG boxes in the history of MMOs.

People still playing the game (there aren't many) argue that the game is not p2w, but p2progressfaster, and that you can complete all the content with gear that is relatively easy to get.  Problem is you'll never get a group if your gear is level 425 and everyone requires 600 for fast runs.

So what happened is NcSoft grabbed what cash they could with the rng boxes, sacrificing the population of the game.  That's a cash grab.

BDO doesn't have p2w elements or cash shop sales in the marketplace in our version.  They could have implemented those and made lots of money really fast, but it would kill the game like any cash grab does.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Rasiem said:

NAER said:
    The games okay I suppose if you like insane amounts of grind and RNG and lackbuster PvP were it's all gear based and skill is meaningless, also you can't even really call it an "MMO" considering almost all the game has to offer you have to do solo and playing with friends actually does more harm then good.
    But if your looking for a way to kill some time and your okay with playing an mmo with damn near 0 social interaction then go for it.
    But, it's not a typical MMO when it comes to end-game. There really isn't one, unless you're into PVP and node wars.
    Recore said:
    I play off and on but for me I am really just waiting for some dungeons and more focus on group play. 
    Definitely a candidate for "Best MMO today"

lolz. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    i have yet to fight any creatures, i have lvled from 3-50 via trade routs and afk fishing XD.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    I do a mixture of farming, trading,fishing and quests to get CP. I also kill things for the quests and I just opened the abandoned iron mine in Mediah the one near Altinova I intend to start crafting Grunil for my characters. I am only level 32.

For my part I am relatively engrossed enough in the world to be happy playing it. I think this game is very much a personal preference. I just happen to enjoy so many aspects of it that playing it is a lot of fun. It is really very, very immersive for me but I think another person might find it dull and uninspired.

I totally disagree about the money grab which is simply nonsense. Just trying to condemn a game with the most likely criticism to cause people to turn away and not reflective of the truth. Costumes are not money grabs at all. I have enough pearl cash without any purchases but by simply playing for two complete outfits. I just cannot decide what to buy since my husband who picks all the slutty ones is no help at all. Men ....really...
    Chamber of Chains
    edited August 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Rasiem said:

NAER said:
    But, it's not a typical MMO when it comes to end-game. There really isn't one, unless you're into PVP and node wars.
    Recore said:
    I play off and on but for me I am really just waiting for some dungeons and more focus on group play. 
    Definitely a candidate for "Best MMO today"

lolz. :p
    Yeah, better off playing Eve with all the dungeons that game has.  :p :p

DmKano said: "I am in the camp that believes this was the worst change yet - it certainly led to some folks leaving the game for good."

It's true it pissed off a lot of people and caused some to quit.  But what's better, catering to people that require a game to be a zerging bully-fest, or making changes that promote longevity by allowing new people to level up and not get pushed around by zerg guilds?

Make no mistake, you can still get pushed out of spots.  I got 3 man ganked just yesterday.  I killed a couple of them but left, because it's not worth the time to fight 3 guys over a spot in a game with like 10 channels to grind on.

Difference is because of the change, fun pvp happened.  I was able to die a few times and come back.  I actually won the last fight, killing 2 of them and causing the third to run away.

That would not have happened before the change because I would've lost 2% xp and wouldn't have fought a third time (or a second time for that matter).

Bottom line: people upset about the change are the same kind of people that love Archeage (no surprise).  They need to be carried by a zerg to feel good about themselves.  That's not a game I want to play and you can just look at the failure of Archeage to see that it's not good game design if you want a game to be successful long-term.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    Rasiem said:
    As opposed to all of those other games that hope to lose money?

A quick cash grab that the developers don't particularly care about other than for a paycheck wouldn't go so far off the beaten path as Black Desert has.
    Does the game have a wiki or database site or something else that is reasonably complete?  I've found several wikis that barely have anything there.
    Quizzical said:
    Does the game have a wiki or database site or something else that is reasonably complete?  I've found several wikis that barely have anything there.
    http://bddatabase.net/us/
    I've found everything I needed on there, ranging from knowledge gathering to crafting ingredients.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Duel wield credit cards is all you need now!!!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    The game is beyond garbage, but it s ready to take your money, if that's what you mean?
    After today's announcement of implementing p2w, I would wait to see if they actually do it.  I wouldn't advise buying the game if they do.  Most everyone that's passionate about the game is going to quit if they do.  I can't imagine the community being any good afterwards, not to mention the game will be, well, p2w.  Which sucks.

I guess the game will still be playable casually or just for the side-systems like trading and whatnot, but even then, your accomplishments will feel less meaningful.

Like for example, this full-time trader who is quitting:

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/106786-i-am-1-ranked-in-farmingwealthtradingand-why-i-am-leaving/

Sad sad day for BDO.
  • BreadbackBreadback Member UncommonPosts: 8
    After today's announcement of implementing p2w, I would wait to see if they actually do it.  I wouldn't advise buying the game if they do.  Most everyone that's passionate about the game is going to quit if they do.  I can't imagine the community being any good afterwards, not to mention the game will be, well, p2w.  Which sucks.

I guess the game will still be playable casually or just for the side-systems like trading and whatnot, but even then, your accomplishments will feel less meaningful.

Like for example, this full-time trader who is quitting:

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/106786-i-am-1-ranked-in-farmingwealthtradingand-why-i-am-leaving/

Sad sad day for BDO.
    And...topic's been hidden by the CMs. That's a good sign, if ever there was one!
    Now I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to play the game the way I want.  On the web site, it looks like there's a $30 "Traveler's Package" and a $50 "Explorer's Package".  I assume that you have to buy one of those to get access to the game, as the "Buy to Play" component of a game that now also has a subscription and an item mall.  Is that accurate?

On this site, I see stuff about US dollars, Daum cash, and Pearls:

http://bdo-fashion.com/pearl-shop-prices/

What's that about?  If it said $30 for 3200 Pearls, and then ignore Daum cash, it would make sense.  But what's the intermediate Daum cash for?

It looks like character slots are $6 each.  Multiply by five slots (five free slots, ten characters total) and that comes to $30, with a possible need to add more in the future if more classes are added.  The value pack is $15/month, with one or two months included with the initial purchase.  I'm trying to determine whether buying anything else beyond that is necessary.

Are costumes per character, as opposed to shared by all characters?  $22 for a costume is steep, but it looks like the stats are minor enough that I can ignore them.  If a game feels excessively grindy to me, a 10% experience bonus isn't going to fix it.

I also see stuff about stable expansion, worker lodging expansion, and storage slot expansion.  Is that particularly necessary?  I have the impression that you get quite a few slots for free (or rather, bought purely with in-game money).  Is that accurate?

Also, I see that there are a bunch of inventory expansion quests in the game.  Is that enough to make the inventory expansion in the item mall pretty unnecessary?  Also, is the inventory expansion stuff in the item mall on a per character basis or does it increase expansion for all characters on the account?

Having a pet to automatically loot for you sounds pretty important.  Or maybe that's just coming from Elsword, where if you don't have a pet that can fetch, it takes as long to pick up loot as it does to kill mobs.  Is one pet plenty, or does the loot pickup rate make it too slow?  And are pets sharable by all characters on an account?

I read somewhere that the horse flute is not shared by characters on an account.  If that's so, $15/character is awfully steep, so I'll have to do without.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    Quizzical said:
    Now I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to play the game the way I want.  On the web site, it looks like there's a $30 "Traveler's Package" and a $50 "Explorer's Package".  I assume that you have to buy one of those to get access to the game, as the "Buy to Play" component of a game that now also has a subscription and an item mall.  Is that accurate?

On this site, I see stuff about US dollars, Daum cash, and Pearls:

http://bdo-fashion.com/pearl-shop-prices/

What's that about?  If it said $30 for 3200 Pearls, and then ignore Daum cash, it would make sense.  But what's the intermediate Daum cash for?

It looks like character slots are $6 each.  Multiply by five slots (five free slots, ten characters total) and that comes to $30, with a possible need to add more in the future if more classes are added.  The value pack is $15/month, with one or two months included with the initial purchase.  I'm trying to determine whether buying anything else beyond that is necessary.

You get 6 slots to start that should be enough to try some classes

Are costumes per character, as opposed to shared by all characters?  $22 for a costume is steep, but it looks like the stats are minor enough that I can ignore them.  If a game feels excessively grindy to me, a 10% experience bonus isn't going to fix it.

You get pearl cash rewards and it can add up to quite a bit and you can buy costumes with that.

I also see stuff about stable expansion, worker lodging expansion, and storage slot expansion.  Is that particularly necessary?  I have the impression that you get quite a few slots for free (or rather, bought purely with in-game money).  Is that accurate?

Those items you can earn in game by accumulating contribution points and purchasing those expansions with that.

Also, I see that there are a bunch of inventory expansion quests in the game.  Is that enough to make the inventory expansion in the item mall pretty unnecessary?  Also, is the inventory expansion stuff in the item mall on a per character basis or does it increase expansion for all characters on the account?

There are quests to increase inventory slots I make do with those.

Having a pet to automatically loot for you sounds pretty important.  Or maybe that's just coming from Elsword, where if you don't have a pet that can fetch, it takes as long to pick up loot as it does to kill mobs.  Is one pet plenty, or does the loot pickup rate make it too slow?  And are pets sharable by all characters on an account?
    Might need a pet as loot disappear if not picked up.

I read somewhere that the horse flute is not shared by characters on an account.  If that's so, $15/character is awfully steep, so I'll have to do without.

I think it is shared.
    Tried to answer some stuff am relatively new to game so hopefully others might help.