Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it really that good and worth the money?

furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
Hey folks,

so for the past eternity I've been torn between every MMO ever. I try play this, then I switch to other, then to another, then to ANOTHER and it sometimes really makes me depressed. I think I'm an addict chasing for the high I had when playing pre-F2P RIFT. Damn, that was a PERFECT game for me. Too bad Trion didn't use any lubricants... And so I played GW2, ESO, Wildstar, Archeage, *insert popular mmorpg here*. Only GW2 managed to grip me. I currently have maxed characters, many skins, nice amount of content done... but it just became so MEH. I mean... Yeah it's a good game, but I can't feel it anymore. Other games do the same, like ESO. I fire it up. Think "wow, this is pointless", and exit.

But FFIXV... Even if i absolutely hate the loading screens and instanced zones, and some of the annoying kill-talk-WALK-talk-kill quests, it does feel like there's a glimmer of hope in that game. What do I love about it? The old-school feel.

But I've been getting the same MEH feeling recently. I'm currently lv29 LNC, 25CNJ and can't remember the level of Culinarian. But it's about 10.

The Question:

Is FFXIV the game that's worth the money? I don't mind paying sub fees as long as I'm getting high. The leveling in FFXIV is giving me cancer at times. Is it like that at end game? I do love the dungeons tho, are they a prominent part of the end game? How similar is FFXIV to RIFT, may I ask veterans? Does moving around in FFXIV become more "free" in later levels and content?

Do appreciate any answers, really. All the best!

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    edited July 2016
    -Is FFXIV the game that's worth the money?

imho , yeah , is the only mmorpg i stay subbed

-I don't mind paying sub fees as long as I'm getting high. The leveling in FFXIV is giving me cancer at times. Is it like that at end game?

well at endgame u have some "grinds" , that arent worth working now since expansion has only 2 patchs left and the next 1 is the only one that will up the gear lvls , but endgame is mostly all about dungeons / raids and and tribe daily quests (that are varied enough so u dont get the same over and over) if u are interested , there is pvp too but i dont like it.

-I do love the dungeons tho, are they a prominent part of the end game?

yeah , and the game will force u to do all them (good thing as new player u are put first on the queues!) , it has tons of dungeons , and at engame u have more , plus rais (alex gordias , midas , Void ark , Weeping city) , Trials (Ravana, Knights of the round , Niddogh, ect) Diadem (that will get a overhaul in 3.4) , Deep dungeon (new content) ... 3.4 will bring the final raid wing , and another Trial ....plus Main story quests and more!

-How similar is FFXIV to RIFT, may I ask veterans?

no similar at all...outside trinity mmorpg , i find the gameplay better in FFXIV ( i always hated the macro everything to 1 key that rift does)

-Does moving around in FFXIV become more "free" in later levels and content?

free? u mean gil ? u can use favored crystal that cost less , 1 crystal for return that is free ...and u will gain enough gil so teleporting is like pocket change ...400-500 gil are nothing at max lvl like 50 copper in other games

u will get ground mounts , and in HW zones u can fly

-Do appreciate any answers, really. All the best!

yw

/wave to scorpe-x that will probably bash the game as the worst thing even made
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Hey. Thanks for answering!

By "free" I didn't mean financially. Some of the zones are full of invisible walls and such. By free I mean the freedom of moving, the open world-edness (nice word I made up there)
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Hey. Thanks for answering!

By "free" I didn't mean financially. Some of the zones are full of invisible walls and such. By free I mean the freedom of moving, the open world-edness (nice word I made up there)
    No, they are a bit bigger in the expansion areas, but still expect lots of invis walls and zones. The game was built to play on the ps3 (way too late in its life sadly) so it has to adhear to the restrictions of that system and likely down the line like FFXI it may be held back because of it.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    edited July 2016
    ahhh i see , well HW zones dont have invisible wall outside the borders of the map and are way bigger (like x3 the size aprox) ...FFXIV 2.0 zones are remade zones of the FFXIV 1.0 , look good but were limited ^^U

btw SE has said that in 4.0 they will probably drop Ps3 support (we will know when they announce the expansion in october )

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    That sound like you're having MMORPG burn out, with the phase like "wow, this is pointless". Usually when I hit that point and find the game not fun anymore, I stop playing for a while until I have the need again. Well, that's me...

I would suggest you stick with one main class you enjoy the most and go through the story quests in FFXIV. Forget about level grinding. It build up into the most gripping story like how Final Fantasy series are good at. With the dungeon, the game will force you to run them all through the story anyway, so...

What I like about RIFT the most was it wardrobe cosmetic system, where you can put anything on at any point in time. In FFXIV, you will have to put more work at getting the look you want through glamour system. Skill wise, it's rather similar with rotation spam.

The end game is rather grindy, I'm afraid. You pretty much have to repeat and grind for everything you want to build up. The map are still zone in like Guild Wars 2, but look on the good side, it's still more free than that Final Fantasy XIII. Gotta love that Fat Chocobo flying mount!

Does it worth the subscription money? Just Hildibrand's quests alone are totally worth it for a chuckle experience, and the main storyline are great to go through as well, and the dress up your character. This game has the most expansive variety choices of clothes out of all fantasy MMORPG I have played. New hairstyle constantly being patched in as well with the updates. But then the grind, though... that would depend on the mood and the wallet if the game is worth the subscription fee once you have done all the good story contents already.

The new deep dungeon Palace of the Dead was kinda fun as well if you like random generate rogue-like dungeon spelunking.

At the moment, the game has the Free Login Campaign for those that already have the account, to login and play for 120 hours until the 30 August, so might as well join in and play through the story contents. If you like what you see through those 120 hours, then you can subscribes for further playtime, once you get bored of it just cancel the subscription and come back to it later when new contents that interests you are added.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    XIV is fun for a while, but at max level you basically do the same thing over and over again, which is grind for new tomes in the newest (far too easy) two or three boring dungeons. If you are searching for a lot of freedom, this is not the game for you. Every Warrior or Bard is basically the same, there is no choice or variety between players. And while the game world can be pretty, it's still small, heavily zoned, static and empty.  The last is especially true for the 3.0 zones.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited July 2016
    Hey folks,

so for the past eternity I've been torn between every MMO ever. I try play this, then I switch to other, then to another, then to ANOTHER and it sometimes really makes me depressed. I think I'm an addict chasing for the high I had when playing pre-F2P RIFT. Damn, that was a PERFECT game for me. Too bad Trion didn't use any lubricants... And so I played GW2, ESO, Wildstar, Archeage, *insert popular mmorpg here*. Only GW2 managed to grip me. I currently have maxed characters, many skins, nice amount of content done... but it just became so MEH. I mean... Yeah it's a good game, but I can't feel it anymore. Other games do the same, like ESO. I fire it up. Think "wow, this is pointless", and exit.

But FFIXV... Even if i absolutely hate the loading screens and instanced zones, and some of the annoying kill-talk-WALK-talk-kill quests, it does feel like there's a glimmer of hope in that game. What do I love about it? The old-school feel.

But I've been getting the same MEH feeling recently. I'm currently lv29 LNC, 25CNJ and can't remember the level of Culinarian. But it's about 10.

The Question:

Is FFXIV the game that's worth the money? I don't mind paying sub fees as long as I'm getting high. The leveling in FFXIV is giving me cancer at times. Is it like that at end game? I do love the dungeons tho, are they a prominent part of the end game? How similar is FFXIV to RIFT, may I ask veterans? Does moving around in FFXIV become more "free" in later levels and content?

Do appreciate any answers, really. All the best!
    This is like asking a muslim is the koran is a decent book.  Most people here are going to say yes, just as they will in any dedicated forum.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    yea .. worth it .. you need to get to 30 and get your Job , Game starts to open up at 30 and becomes much more interesting as you begin to flesh out your class
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Hello,im in same position as furion 1025- was looking for game after i quit GW2, cant find any(tried TESO-boring)i was thinking to sub this game(for like month already),but it will  be my first sub game so i did some research and i found out that this game has shop o.O 
    So
    1.You have to buy the game
    2.pay Sub
    3.buy addon
    and if you want something else(clothes, mount ,dye etc) you have to pay more,im confused,is this true?
    (login to your mog station then "optional items" tab)
    Well the reason I asked is because I wanted to know the opinion of veterans players. Kind of like if anyone asked me about RIFT I'd say stay away from it, because it's as P2havefun as it gets.

The movement restrictions and zoning keeps the meh feeling. And some of the quests are freaking boring. But the classes and armor styles and crafting seems a lot of fun.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The game is fine, not great. What ruined it for me was the endless non stop spam and inability to shut off ANY chat channel or block ANYONE. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Bananable said:
    Hello,im in same position as furion 1025- was looking for game after i quit GW2, cant find any(tried TESO-boring)i was thinking to sub this game(for like month already),but it will  be my first sub game so i did some research and i found out that this game has shop o.O 
    So
    2.pay Sub
    3.buy addon
    and if you want something else(clothes, mount ,dye etc) you have to pay more,im confused,is this true?
    You have to buy the box.
    Pay the subscription.
    Buy addons.
    There is a cash shop, it sells inventory expansions, mounts, pets, outfits, dyes and level boosters and even being considered.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    You failed to explain that the inventory provided in game is vastly adequate . Mostly everything is available in game and I played the game without ever using the shop and it is only required  the extra retainers only if you are doing every single craft in the game. 

Game is fun for awhile take a gander.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited July 2016
    The game is definitely worth the money, although I am not the biggest fan of their endgame. The leveling kept me around for quite a while, but I always burn out so quickly if I try to focus on endgame only. Until the next expansion, I'll pretty much just log in for a few days every 3 months or so after they update to check out the update and see the story additions and run any new dungeons and stuff. Mileage will vary, but I'd say definitely pick it up if you want a quality MMO, just maybe not worry too much about rushing to the end, because it's the worst part of the game imo.

That being said, there's so much content for a new player if you feel like unlocking it all, that you probably wouldn't get bored for quite a while if you like the gameplay and story and stuff.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited August 2016
    For me its the only game after wow that has that wow feeling from time to time , and  yes it can be dull with question and stuff but overal i realy like the game alot and only game after wow i played longer than 6 months . With wow feeling i mean little things like music , thunder  , rain and overal feeling of the game.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Bananable said:
    So
    2.pay Sub
    3.buy addon
    No you can get all that stuff in game.
    Really?Thx for reply  :pleased:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Haha, Nanamo sure is kinky :)

Hey everyone, thanks for replies! Now that I got my first chocobo and did the grand company quest, it's become way more interesting. Can't wait to undertake job quests. Currently at lv30!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hey folks, do you still get pushed into doing the exact same dungeons over and over and over on an almost daily basis when at max level?  That killed it for me.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Hey folks, do you still get pushed into doing the exact same dungeons over and over and over on an almost daily basis when at max level?  That killed it for me.
    You still do for faster tome capping.  That hasn't changed.

I myself don't play FFXIV that way.  I'm never worried about capping.  I just log in and find stuff I enjoy doing and just do that.  If I get tomes it's a plus.  I don't see a point in capping out so fast to a point you get burnt out.

I dabble into something different every time I log in.  One day I just queue up for extreme battles because I find them fun.  Some more fun than others of course.  When you find that group that keeps on trying even though they keep on wiping, it's so satisfying.  I love doing the 24 mans.  They're not hard per se but definitely requires team work of some sort.  It's always fun seeing a whole alliance wipe because people weren't paying attention and working together.

I love their crafting and gathering, probably one of the best I've played but it's definitely a grind for gear.

Point is, I just take it slow and never worry about trying to get to the highest I LvL as fast as possible.  I find the game much more enjoyable playing that way.  Never feel that I have to have anything because this game allows you to do most content without the best gear.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I myself don't play FFXIV that way.  I'm never worried about capping.  I just log in and find stuff I enjoy doing and just do that.  If I get tomes it's a plus.  I don't see a point in capping out so fast to a point you get burnt out.

I dabble into something different every time I log in.  One day I just queue up for extreme battles because I find them fun.  Some more fun than others of course.  When you find that group that keeps on trying even though they keep on wiping, it's so satisfying.  I love doing the 24 mans.  They're not hard per se but definitely requires team work of some sort.  It's always fun seeing a whole alliance wipe because people weren't paying attention and working together.

I love their crafting and gathering, probably one of the best I've played but it's definitely a grind for gear.

Point is, I just take it slow and never worry about trying to get to the highest I LvL as fast as possible.  I find the game much more enjoyable playing that way.  Never feel that I have to have anything because this game allows you to do most content without the best gear.

What is tome capping?  I don't remember that from when I played.

Is it possible to have a fulfilling experience primarily being a gatherer?

What is tome capping?  I don't remember that from when I played.

Is it possible to have a fulfilling experience primarily being a gatherer?
    My apologies, tome = tomestones.  The currency for armors and weapons.

It's possible but you probably have to mix in crafting.  It's grindy and tedious for most.  I don't mind it, as long as I make progress I'm a happy camper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    FFXIV is one of the better MMOs out right now. It'd probably be my go to MMO for when I get the mmo "itch". Unfortunately that not saying much anymore. It still falls into the many traps that MMOs fallen into lately. Mostly easy mind numbing guided gameplay for leveling, farming, and even end-game unless youre doing the most recent raids. Then there is the shameless double dipping with exclusive "cosmetics" and bank space... not to mention their lame excuses for holding out on them. Last but not least... probably the worst handled gold spam of any P2P mmo in recent history.

Kayo83 said:
    FFXIV is one of the better MMOs out right now. It'd probably be my go to MMO for when I get the mmo "itch". Unfortunately that not saying much anymore. It still falls into the many traps that MMOs fallen into lately. Mostly easy mind numbing guided gameplay for leveling, farming, and even end-game unless youre doing the most recent raids. Then there is the shameless double dipping with exclusive "cosmetics" and bank space... not to mention their lame excuses for holding out on them. Last but not least... probably the worst handled gold spam of any P2P mmo in recent history.

All true except I still feel like the game has many challenges.  The problem is over gearing which happens in all MMOs, even the old MMOs, once you get stronger gear everything becomes mind numbing easy.  I was never able to beat a lot of content when they were fresh, it's more after they nerfed them and I had much better gear, which was easy to get.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with double dipping.  That's the standard these days.  We may not agree with it but the market dictates this and that's where the market has gone.  I can't find a single MMORPG that is just a straight up fee anymore.  They have all kinds of creative ways of selling their games, items, etc.

I've never had problems with gold spammers in any game.  Is this game plagued with it more than most.  I totally agree, they definitely need to do something about the tells.  I think they are working on something to alleviate that but I don't think anyone can ever get rid of RMT completely unless people stop buying currency.