Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: $11 Monthly Fee Is Introduced to Mainland China Server

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
Blizzard and their Chinese partner NetEase announced World of Warcraft in mainland China server will introduce in monthly subscription fee starting August 4, 2016. The price is RMB 75 ($11 USD) /month, or RMB 198 ($30 USD)/season, or RMB 360 ($54 USD)/year.

At the same time, it's announced that Chinese players can transfer one of their characters to a different account for free.

http://2p.com/44117483_1/World-of-Warcraft-11-Monthly-Fee-Business-Model-Is-Coming-to-Mainland-China-by-JoeLW.htm

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well it seems blizzard managed to get the Chinese government to agree to a monthly fee. I wonder how the playerbase will take it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Purutzil said:
    Well it seems blizzard managed to get the Chinese government to agree to a monthly fee. I wonder how the playerbase will take it.
    About as well as the last time Blizzard raised the hourly rate most likely, paying a sub will probably end up being cheaper for most though, so who knows.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Purutzil said:
    Was it free before? I thought it was pay for hours, like you pay x amount for x amount of in game time. Maybe it will end up getting more people since I think it's cheaper for the hardcore playerbase.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Purutzil said:
    Was it free before? I thought it was pay for hours, like you pay x amount for x amount of in game time. Maybe it will end up getting more people since I think it's cheaper for the hardcore playerbase.
    I thought it was free, though I might be mistaken, its been a long time since I really heart about WoW China. I do know they had features like free transfers allowed and didn't charge for them before which this is putting a price on.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Purutzil said:
    Purutzil said:
    I thought it was free, though I might be mistaken, its been a long time since I really heart about WoW China. I do know they had features like free transfers allowed and didn't charge for them before which this is putting a price on.
    It's not free. They're paying for the hours they play not for the month that's all.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Pricing structure looks like they are aiming for people to buy the yearly pass on the back of Legion e.g. if you are going to buy Legion and anticipate playing for 10 weeks - so 3 months - why not pay a little more and get the yearly.

That will be the hope of course.

Not sure how the "one free transfer" ties in.