Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Best RPG of All Time In Your Opinion?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    For me it was Morrowind. There was a greater sense of discovery and mystery to the world.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I can't really pick one so I'll break it up

Vintage Favorite: Quest for Glory

Hipster Favorite: Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis

Modern Favorite: Dark Souls
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Ultima Underworld. Lost a lot of hours as a kid in that dungeon. It's the one I've had most fun in.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Morrowind. For its time, there was nothing like it.  For the younglings who haven't played it. Here is a great guide to get it up and running with improved visuals, sounds, bug fixes, and gameplay enhancements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Morrowind is my all time best.
    The old King Quest games got me into rpgs and holds a special spot too.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Mine has to be Ogre Battle.  Is strategy RPGs considered in this thread? :)
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Chrono Trigger
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Diablo 2 for me although it's far more action than RPG
  • AberiusAberius Member UncommonPosts: 37
    As a kid, Final Fantasy IV (back when it was FF2 in the States circa 1992) absolutely blew my mind as to what a video game (let alone an RPG) could be.  The first Mass Effect also had a huge impact on me, as it was my first "modern" Western RPG and first Bioware game.  Everquest, nuff said.  And for tabletop, going to 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons from AD&D was crazy.

But for my all-time best if I had to pick one today... honestly... I might just say Vanilla+TBC World of Warcraft.  ._.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Neverwinter Nights because it introduced me to persistent worlds, something I still wish was around -- whole communities based on a single world and story with everyone in character. Of course this was based on the server I chose but it was grand and it eventually led me to MMOs.

Diablo -- my gateway drug that brought me to online gaming in the first place.

The Mass Effect series up to the Conduit in London. Commander Shepard changed me, and the way I play games, forever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited July 2016
    Struggling to choose, there have been so many fantastic RPGs over the years. My most fond memories are from

Phantasy Star Online
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Xenoblade Chronicles X

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited July 2016
    Only because no one has named it yet I guess I will throw Final Fantasy VI into the hat.

You can suplex a train...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    My first was Temple of Apshai and well, you always remember your first, awkward though it might have been.

But so many blew me away when I first played them, I just can't pick one... 

Ultima (later called 1) coded in Basic with a tiny bit of Motorola 6502 machine code thrown in and using modified character graphics
    Dungeon Master - played the crap out of this one in the winter of '87 often with my then 3-yr old son sitting on my lap
    Ultima Underworld - FPS meets RPG for the first time
    Elder Scrolls Arena - took what Ultima Underworld brought to the table and made a world out of it.
    Baldur's Gate - best implementation of tabletop D&D at the time... maybe ever.
    Diablo - my first ARPG
    Asheron's Call - my first MMO
    DAoC - roleplaying in the Guinevere server
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DelphosDelphos Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited July 2016
    To me the best rpg of all times is Chrono Trigger without any trace of doubt, but i would do an honorable mention for EverQuest and also for D&D, World of Darkness (Vampire The Masquerade specially) and GURPS (PnP all 3).
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    "Go for the eyes, Boo!!"

Joined - July 2004

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Suikoden 2
  • somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited July 2016
    Fallout 3 or Fable
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Morrowind. Theme music still gives me chills.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    SBFord said:
    Neverwinter Nights because it introduced me to persistent worlds, something I still wish was around -- whole communities based on a single world and story with everyone in character. Of course this was based on the server I chose but it was grand and it eventually led me to MMOs.

Diablo -- my gateway drug that brought me to online gaming in the first place.

The Mass Effect series up to the Conduit in London. Commander Shepard changed me, and the way I play games, forever.
    Hard to argue with this list!

NWN I spent so much damn time playing. Loved loved loved that game and expansions.

Diablo 3 was really my first Diablo game (I know, heretic!) but I put a LOT of hours into it, best ARPG.

Mass Effect series sans ending was the greatest game trilogy of all time, IMO.

Favorite current RPG though is Dark Souls 3. Perfect combination of story/lore, world building, character development, combat, etc.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    These are my favourite top 5 

1. Final fantasy 7 - greatest game ever made but thats just my opinion :D
    2. Zelda Ocarina of time - Best in the franchise imo
    3. Witcher 1 and 2  ( didnt like 3 ) dunno why lol
    4.Fable 1&2 ( used to play with my daughter when she was like 5 ) was awesome 
    5.Final fantasy 10 - my 2nd favourite final fantasy game

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Old game would be Morrowind
    Newest game The Witcher 3
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited July 2016
    Dungeons and Dragons, PnP.

I should have red the first page prior to replying. But I stand by my answer!

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.