Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can MMOGs develop Leadership Skills? Please participate in a Phd Study on Effective Team Leadership!

smysirlakismysirlaki Member UncommonPosts: 13

Hello all!

I am PhD student at the School of Information & Communication Technology,  University of Piraeus, Greece and I am looking for participants in my PhD study!

The link to the questionnaire is: http://goo.gl/forms/U3rliIpU67Kk0aXI2

The main hypothesis of this study is that in MMOGs and MMORPGs, the players develop important everyday life skills such as flexibility, conflict resolution, negotiation, collaboration and leadership and that a leader's emotionally intelligence is an important skill for leading a successful team in the game.

The results will provide scientific data that contribute to the limited research in the field and highlight the importance of emotional intelligence in achieving the cohesion and effectiveness of a virtual team. 

Your participation in this research is voluntary and anonymously and will involve completing an online questionnaire that should about 15 minutes to complete.

Thank you so much for reading this and hopefully taking part! 

Your time and help is greatly appreciated!  =) 

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Will performing certain tasks help develop the ability to perform those tasks?

Why do we need a survey for that?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Just shows how worthless academic titles are....
    Gdemami said:
    Let me guess: you're a drop-out? ;)
    edited July 2016
    DKLond said:
    Let me guess: you're a drop-out? ;)
    Nope. I am just not after titles...
    Doesn't mean they're all worthless. That said, I tend to find them extremely overrated - but that's quite another matter.
  • smysirlakismysirlaki Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Hi all and thanks for reading my post.
    One part of this study aims to see if these skills that are acquired in the game can be transferred to real life and career settings.
    Moreover, we have limited research data about how a good leader takes the visionary role to inspire the members of a group. So, this research also tries to analyze the relationship between a group leader’s emotional intelligence and effective leadership in MMOGs.

I really hope you can help!

Thanks again! 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    MMOs just make us all fat and lazy.  but hay, it's better than TV......Put that in your study :)
    DKLond said:
    Doesn't mean they're all worthless. That said, I tend to find them extremely overrated - but that's quite another matter.
    It is not another matter, it is the same thing.

Demand for titles -> oversupply of titles -> titles are worthless.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    No, it's either there or it isn't.
  • MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    edited July 2016
    Bro... I understand you want to get dat PhD done. But have you ever heard of a term goes as "escapism"? Look it up, it might help you get a glimpse of gamer psychology before you do a research about it. Additionally i failed  to spot any relevance between the aspects you've mentioned and the MMOgamer. Im thinking your sentence and cannot see it. What is the concept of "flexibility" or "negotiation" or "conflict resolution" for you?Are you talking about sexual flexibility? Trade agreement negotiations? Conflict between..?I wonder how many non-gamers do the things you've mentioned in real life. Are you mistaking us gamers with presidential candidates or CEOs? Even the guild leaders dont give a single sht about real life issues if not all.They usually spend more hours then any members in their nest and just relax while its not the guild prime time. Because you know...its gaming.And when they go out they look into mirror and remember they have not shaved for days let alone resolving conflicts or negotiate with any human being.You need better understanding of gaming community thats what it is.

beLIEve

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I tried to complete it but quit at the part where it asked me to describe my guild leader; I am the leader of my guild, so it was impossible to properly answer the questions.
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:
    It is not another matter, it is the same thing.

Demand for titles -> oversupply of titles -> titles are worthless.
    You still struggle with basic logic I see :)
    DKLond said:
    You still struggle with basic logic I see :)
    Says the guy struggling with basic logic...
    Hi @4507 and thanks for taking the time to complete my questionnaire.
    You can answer the questions as if you were answering as a member (a little self-judgment =) ).
    e.g. My leader:

EI1. Has a good sense of why he/she has certain feelings most of the time.

I your case..I have a good sense of why I have  certain feelings most of the time.

Please make sure you have check the box B4. Are you currently a member of any guild? 

so I can then sort the guild leaders.

Thanks again!! (I would appreciate it if you could complete your answers!)

edited July 2016
    Hi all and thanks for reading my post.
    One part of this study aims to see if these skills that are acquired in the game can be transferred to real life and career settings.
    Moreover, we have limited research data about how a good leader takes the visionary role to inspire the members of a group. So, this research also tries to analyze the relationship between a group leader’s emotional intelligence and effective leadership in MMOGs.

I really hope you can help!

Thanks again! 

Why would being a good leader not translate to being a good leader?

Help me out here, I'm struggling to understand why we'd need a survey for this.

Are you aware that real people are performing real tasks - even when they're playing a computer game?

Raid leaders, for instance, are actually real people communicating with other real people. So, when they resolve conflicts - those are real people resolving conflicts.

You're genuinely doing a study on whether real conflict resolution is real conflict resolution?

Because, if so, I think that's a waste of time. Unless, of course, you just need a piece of paper with some title on it.
    Hi @DKLond!
    I also believe that players are performing real tasks and acquire real skills, such as leadership that seems to be an emerging phenomenon in these games . 
    That is why I chose this field of research in the first place!
    There is also scientific evidence that MMOGs provide a similar context to teams that operate mostly or completely virtually, such as virtual workplace settings.
    Thus, MMOGs is a case study that can help us better understand the analysis of effective virtual team leadership.
    Hi @DKLond!
    I also believe that players are performing real tasks and acquire real skills, such as leadership that seems to be an emerging phenomenon in these games . 
    There is also scientific evidence that MMOGs provide a similar context to teams that operate mostly or completely virtually, such as virtual workplace settings.
    Thus, MMOGs is a case study that can help us better understand the analysis of effective virtual team leadership.
    So, you're trying to confirm what you already know - in an effort to make it "more true"?

Cool. Whatever floats your boat.

I'm often surprised that people spend so much time establishing the perfectly obvious. But I guess when it's written down - it helps certain people recognise the inevitable truth of it.

But you know what they say about confirmation bias and what not, right? ;) Such studies should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I'm just messing with you, by the way.
    DKLond said:
    I'm often surprised that people spend so much time establishing the perfectly obvious. But I guess when it's written down - it helps certain people recognise the inevitable truth of it.
    What is obvious to many is not to others! That is why we need scientific proofs and real data... =)
    Anyway, I hope you will participate in my study! 
    Thanks!
    smysirlaki said:
    What is obvious to many is not to others! That is why we need scientific proofs and real data... =)
    Thanks!
    Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science...

Really sad.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've been a guild leader for 4-5 years and I'm a mid-level manager in real life. 

The only skills I'd say that have been transferable have been the social ones. You don't become a guild leader (and stay guild leader) without already having leadership skills. I've seen many people try to run guilds without real leadership skills but they almost all fail within a few months. 

But, the way I behaved as a guild leader is vastly different to how I behave as a real life manager. 

The difference is motivation (for me). 

In MMOs, I ended up being a raid leader and then guild leader because there were things I wanted to achieve in game (completing raids as a guild, or moving guild to new mmo) that the existing leadership team couldn't achieve, so I displaced them, took over and instituted new policies that allowed the guild (and therefore me) to achieve my personal objectives. My leadership essentially stemmed from selfishness, but appeared differently to others because my selfish needs required other people. 

Now, as a result, I ended up with a mid-sized guild full of like-minded people (raiders and pvpers) so we all became friends, and I also supported the casuals, ran social events, helped train them up etc. On the surface, those activities appear to be for the benefit of others, but in reality I was doing them to make the guild itself a better place for me (because I like diversity, and also helping create a steady flow of new members to replace raid members). 

In real life, my motivations are not personal. I couldn't give a shit about the company I work for or the team that works under me. I work because I have to, but I am not in control of what I want to achieve from my job. Therefore I spend my time training and empowering my team so that I have to do as little work as possible. The work we do is on behalf of clients, not ourselves, so there is no investment on my part and I have never (in my life) achieved a sense of job satisfaction. 
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Gdemami said:
    So you believe running a guild doesn't require and reward the same leadership skills that exist in any other human organization?

Or are you able to understand that humans are humans are humans, and interacting with them in a game is largely the same as interacting with them anywhere else?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Gdemami said:
    smysirlaki said:
    Thanks!
    Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science...

Really sad.
    Gosh if only they'd said "and real data" in that sentence to allow for a second category of knowledge that wasn't a proof. Oh wait, they did that!

Maybe you should back off on the harassing attacks of this poster until you have something valid to criticize?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

edited July 2016
    Axehilt said:
    Gosh if only they'd said "and real data" in that sentence to allow for a second category of knowledge that wasn't a proof. Oh wait, they did that!

Maybe you should back off on the harassing attacks of this poster until you have something valid to criticize?
    It is entirely legitimate to criticize nonsense as "scientific proof".

Science does not generate proofs. Period.

You do not understand that, that is expected, but it is utterly ridiculous to hear it from someone aspiring for academic career(PHD title).

So yeah, that goes back to my claim about academic titles being worthless. Proof(pun intended) right there.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    DKLond said:
    Hi @DKLond!
    So, you're trying to confirm what you already know - in an effort to make it "more true"?

Cool. Whatever floats your boat.

But you know what they say about confirmation bias and what not, right? ;) Such studies should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I'm just messing with you, by the way.

Well that's the point of evidence based research. You don't only conduct research on things people don't believe to be true, you also do the research on obvious claims to verify that they actually are true.

It's like the standing desk fad from a few years ago, standing is better than sitting for your health! And this was shared as fact until they actually studied standing desks and found that you have reduced cognitive function as the day wears on and your body gets tired of standing, then they pointed out that standing in place puts greater stress on joints and points of impact such as your heels. So it ended up being a less efficient way of working and a pretty poor way to improve health. Now the suggestion is to get up from your desk and walk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that just because one thing acts a certain way in one context doesn't mean it also works in another context. Like Michael Jordan being a great athlete didn't make him a great baseball player despite already having most of the necessary skills/abilities/physicality/attitude.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    To be honest, OP, I found that in most games it was my professional work skills that helped make me a better MMORPG player.  There's very little, if anything, that a game has ever passed onto me that I use in every day life.

For instance, I was the only player in my second EVE online corporation back in 2006 who had any military experience at all.  When it came to leading fleets, a lot of the corporation members were letting everyone and their mother give input and critique their decisions.  This made military operations nearly unbearable for me.

When I took over as the Fleet Commander for the first time, I laid down some ground rules and I started structuring our fleets rather than just letting everyone do what they wanted.  For instance, if someone was reporting on enemy activity then they had to report over voice comms in this format:

Break break. (This means everyone shut up and listen up.)
    State player name.  (Never say "I", there's 50 of us on comms and not everyone knows your voice.)
    How many. (Just approximate if there's too many to count)
    What. (What are they flying predominantly and note any important ships like a Damnation or two loki's with them)
    Where. (Are the on a gate, on a station undock, in line with scanners towards a moon with a forcefield...)
    Action. (If you can see them, what do they appear to be doing?  Moving away from the gate at a high rate of speed in Moa's?)

So rather than just lassez faire information being fed to me, I get something like this:

"Break Break!  This is Rendar, there are about 50 Moa's with five rapiers and half a dozen logi on the Shintaht gate in H6.  They are 50km off of the gate and moving towards the sun with MWD's.  They are locking me so I'm jumping."

Essentially I came in and highly streamlined communcations in our corporation exactly the way that information is passed on military radio networks.