Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Games Mag shows off Star Citizen procedural planet

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited July 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    You're talking about something completely different?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Second, also no. I had around the same longevity of play-sessions on 0.8 as 2.0, due different reasons ofc.
    Then you either didn't play 2.0 at launch or your memory is fleeting or maybe you were the only person on the planet who's 2.0 client wasn't crashing every so often.
    I mean it's not like streamers even had crash counters, counting CTDs per play session.

..Cake..

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If they are playing or planning to release Star Marines in some form, it pretty much tells me that they couldn't get it working before, and tried to save face by claiming it was 'rolled into the final game', or whatever malarkey they came up with. 
    I think you're probably 100% correct !

I suspect that the first attempts at every single part of SC were most likely "failures". Several iterations later, after much refactoring of CryEngine (requiring the hiring of a whole team of relevant experts), the various parts are coming together slowly it seems.

I'm sure they've lied on plenty of occasions in the past. All development teams do, unless they're doing something trivial. It's very bad form to make your "difficulties" public knowledge, because the public are likely to go ballistic. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If they are playing or planning to release Star Marines in some form, it pretty much tells me that they couldn't get it working before, and tried to save face by claiming it was 'rolled into the final game', or whatever malarkey they came up with. 
    I think you're probably 100% correct !

I suspect that the first attempts at every single part of SC were most likely "failures". Several iterations later, after much refactoring of CryEngine (requiring the hiring of a whole team of relevant experts), the various parts are coming together slowly it seems.

I'm sure they've lied on plenty of occasions in the past. All development teams do, unless they're doing something trivial. It's very bad form to make your "difficulties" public knowledge, because the public are likely to go ballistic. 
    See how broken this game has been advertised and pushed?  Star Marine doesn't even exist.  It doesn't even exist but somehow people still talking about it and it bring in a lot of money.  You log into the game right now and you see Star Marine.  Its part of the game like flying ships and walking around.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    IDK if you're joking or trolling or something. I'm still waiting to any sources about your claims as you quoted time ago my post claiming that this game is going to release with 1 solar system...

I guess some people ain't happy about SM not being cancelled as they campaigned for. :lol:
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Oh... who was campaigning for SM to be cancelled?
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    vorpal28 said:
    Oh... who was campaigning for SM to be cancelled?
    Since CR ever said that what SM was supposed to add into SC, is already on the game. There was people around saying that SM is on the game, so no more module! Even some articles on media had headlines "Star Marine has been cancelled".

In fact, after CR said what people usually use around here about "SM is already in-game lol", he clearly said after that they wanted to finish and flesh out the FPS elements on the PU and then release SM.

And that's exactly what we saw since that was said on the beginning of this year, the FPS elements being added and improved upon every update SC had and now after all this time of refactoring code finally opening a release window for the module.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    why does elite have to do everything first

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    People are still talking about star marine as if it was a pre-pu module like the arena commander module? That's not Star Citizen, star citizen is the Player Universe, not some mini-game inside of it that will be enabled once the items are ready.. People need to relax bout the whole thing.
    MaxBacon said:
    IDK if you're joking or trolling or something. I'm still waiting to any sources about your claims as you quoted time ago my post claiming that this game is going to release with 1 solar system...

I guess some people ain't happy about SM not being cancelled as they campaigned for. :lol:
    Star Marine was the hype started by Chris to get money from players.  In a nutshell this is what Star Marine is.  The ability to shoot a gun.  All that hype and all that talking and that is all it is.  So technically Star Marine has been a part of the game since the day you could get out of the ship and pick up a gun.  So every time they use the phrase they are saying the fps portion of the game that you already have.

edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    Star Marine was the hype started by Chris to get money from players.  In a nutshell this is what Star Marine is.  The ability to shoot a gun.  All that hype and all that talking and that is all it is.  So technically Star Marine has been a part of the game since the day you could get out of the ship and pick up a gun.  So every time they use the phrase they are saying the fps portion of the game that you already have.

Uh? No... Star Marine is the arena commander equal of the FPS side of gameplay of Star Citizen, Star Citizen is the universe release.

Is the gameplay mechanic Star Marine was to introduce to the game in the actual game? Yes.

Is Star Marine already in-game? No, by no means it is.

Also... you can easily see on the development studio reports that they do not talk about Star Marine when they talk about development ongoing on the FPS part of the game, unless the update is about Star Marine.
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:

Uh? No... Star Marine is the arena commander equal of the FPS side of gameplay of Star Citizen, Star Citizen is the universe release.

Is the gameplay mechanic Star Marine was to introduce to the game in the actual game? Yes.

Is Star Marine already in-game? No, by no means it is.

Also... you can easily see on the development studio reports that they do not talk about Star Marine when they talk about development ongoing on the FPS part of the game, unless the update is about Star Marine.
    Well about a year ago Chris himself said you already have Star Marine.  So maybe you should do a little research.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Roberts spent six or nine months pushing 'Star Marine', continually claiming it would be out in two weeks.   Then it somehow 'disappeared' into final game.  Whenever that eventually happens.  Perhaps someone finally told them that releasing something titled 'Star Marine' was likely to get them sued.  Regardless, they couldn't get it out, despite having the base engine of the game being optimized for shooters.  Sigh.

Just another example of the incompetence of vision from Chris Roberts.  Elements of the top management of SC are pretty pathetic.  The rank and file are doubtless working as hard as they can, but they've got a boat anchor around their necks.  A gilded one.

No telling whether this new procedural generation of planets thing is really legit, is a sham,  or whether it too will continually be 'two weeks away'.  If it can't be checked by the public (ie, on the test server presently), I don't trust their words.  And there's ample evidence to hold that position.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    Well about a year ago Chris himself said you already have Star Marine.  So maybe you should do a little research.
    Maybe you should stop troll-baiting me with claims like that that are meant for the sake of flame wars that have nothing of serious about them.

It's a matter of having some reading skills and learn to read full quotes and not parts of them:

“By the time we got it to the level we said, ‘Okay you guys can play this.’ Well we already had all the other things combined with the large world and the 64-bit coordinates and the zone system so that was it. So there you are, we will have Gold Horizon, we will have Star Marine, but that will come online once all the basic FPS features are out in and live in the mini PU.”

And that's exactly what it is happening.

Roberts spent six or nine months pushing 'Star Marine', continually claiming it would be out in two weeks.   Then it somehow 'disappeared' into final game.  Whenever that eventually happens.  Perhaps someone finally told them that releasing something titled 'Star Marine' was likely to get them sued.  Regardless, they couldn't get it out, despite having the base engine of the game being optimized for shooters.  Sigh.

Just another example of the incompetence of vision from Chris Roberts.  Elements of the top management of SC are pretty pathetic.  The rank and file are doubtless working as hard as they can, but they've got a boat anchor around their necks.  A gilded one.

No telling whether this new procedural generation of planets thing is really legit, is a sham,  or whether it too will continually be 'two weeks away'.  If it can't be checked by the public (ie, on the test server presently), I don't trust their words.  And there's ample evidence to hold that position.

They are saying star marine is just the ability to shoot a gun.  It does make a little sense because they originally wanted to put out modules then combine them in the persistant universe.  The problem is they combined everything before making any modules.  So they are going to release some kind of arena shooter and call it star marine.  Meanwhile sq42 is basucally star marine.
    filmoret said:
    So they are going to release some kind of arena shooter and call it star marine.
    You MUST be joking.

Star Marine is EXACTLY one arena shooter game! The only part unique to it that isn't part of the Universe release is the match-based FPS matches.

Seriously i have to give you one "LOL" for that :+1:
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    So they are going to release some kind of arena shooter and call it star marine.
    You MUST be joking.

Star Marine is EXACTLY one arena shooter game! The only part unique to it that isn't part of the Universe release is the match-based FPS matches.

Seriously i have to give you one "LOL" for that :+1:
    Yet somehow when people ask about Star marine it is Chris who doesn't like the question because he believes it has already been delivered.  The purpose of the module was to make a game that can do everything.  Maybe you can better explain why Chris was disturbed about the question.

http://screenrant.com/star-citizen-marine-update-2016/

He starts talking about Star Marine at 18:39.
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    Yet somehow when people ask about Star marine it is Chris who doesn't like the question because he believes it has already been delivered.  The purpose of the module was to make a game that can do everything.  Maybe you can better explain why Chris was disturbed about the question.

http://screenrant.com/star-citizen-marine-update-2016/

He starts talking about Star Marine at 18:39.
    That just proves my point. The quote i placed on my post is EXACTLY his words on this video.

That i will quote again:
    “By the time we got it to the level we said, ‘Okay you guys can play this.’ Well we already had all the other things combined with the large world and the 64-bit coordinates and the zone system so that was it. So there you are, we will have Gold Horizon, we will have Star Marine, but that will come online once all the basic FPS features are out in and live in the mini PU.”

As said: what Star Marine was meant to add to the game, the FPS element was already present on the mini-PU, not Star Marine was already in the game. And on the very same video he confirms the same thing on the quote: "we will have Gold Horizon, we will have Star Marine, but that will come online once all the basic FPS features are out in and live in the mini PU."....

If the point of linking me that video is to prove that Star Marine is already on the game as you just defended posts ago, then you are just doing a good job at proving yourself wrong.
    Well if you are happy with calling Star Marine an arena shooter then go ahead.  This article gives a fuller explanation and how insanely upset the community was over this issue.  WE also have the words of Ben which explains that Star Marine is simply the ability to pick up a gun and shoot.  

“The important thing that I want to point out here is that Star Marine isn’t an aside in any way… it’s an essential part of Star Citizen, something the rest of the game must have.” ~ Ben Lesnick, July 8th, 2015

http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/what-happened-to-star-marine

Just wanted to also point out that here Ben says clearly that Star Marine is nothing more then the fps part of Star Citizen.  Which we already have to a large degree.  So when you board a ship they are calling it Star Marine and when you engage in fps planetary combat they are also calling that Star Marine.

"Star Marine is the blood and sinew of the game, the connective tissue that plugs planetside into boarding into space combat and so on"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/271173/some-thoughts-on-concerns/p1
    edited July 2016
    btw in the topic of PG, on today's ATV they showcased their WIP Atmospheric Flight that obviously related as it will happen on the Planets:

(3m15s)

filmoret said:
    Well if you are happy with calling Star Marine an arena shooter then go ahead.  This article gives a fuller explanation and how insanely upset the community was over this issue.  

The community was upset about Star Marine being an arena FPS shooter?
    What exactly was the "community" expecting once they clicked the "Star Marine" button on the Electronic Access Menu? One Farming Simulator?! --'

Let me check... Star Marine... a FPS shooter module where we can have match-based FPS matches. I don't get it, Star Marine WAS and still IS meant to be that....
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    filmoret said:
     So when you board a ship they are calling it Star Marine and when you engage in fps planetary combat they are also calling that Star Marine.
    This is currently incorrect. 

By the time this was put this way, Star Marine was still put as the module that was going to introduce the FPS component to the game, hear by all FPS related stuff started from it, the same way the Space Sim stuff started from Arena Commander.

That was no longer the case with the FPS being implemented on the universe release first.
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
     So when you board a ship they are calling it Star Marine and when you engage in fps planetary combat they are also calling that Star Marine.
    This is currently incorrect. 

By the time this was put this way, Star Marine was still put as the module that was going to introduce the FPS component to the game, hear by all FPS related stuff started from it, the same way the Space Sim stuff started from Arena Commander.

That was no longer the case with the FPS being implemented on the universe release first.
    So we should believe you instead of something posted right there on CIG's website?
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:
    So we should believe you instead of something posted right there on CIG's website?
    lol, there's nothing to believe but the facts.

And the fact is: Star Marine was meant to introduce the FPS element to the game by the time that was put like that, that didn't happen hear by they do NOT refer to any FPS development as Star Marine today. Arena Commander also introduced the Space Sim aspect to the game and we are not calling the Universe release AC.

What brings me to this question: What exactly were are you expecting to play once you click "Star Marine" on the game's main menu? Because far i see your posts it's certainly not a FPS arena shooter game...
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    lol, there's nothing to believe but the facts.

And the fact is: Star Marine was meant to introduce the FPS element to the game by the time that was put like that, that didn't happen hear by they do NOT refer to any FPS development as Star Marine today. Arena Commander also introduced the Space Sim aspect to the game and we are not calling the Universe release AC.

What brings me to this question: What exactly were are you expecting to play once you click "Star Marine" on the game's main menu? Because far i see your posts it's certainly not a FPS arena shooter game...
    From the way Ben is describing it.  The arena shooter is just one element of the Star Marine module.  When you board a ship that is Star Marine,  When you have planetary combat that is also Star marine.  He sais it right there on their website.  He is showing that Star Marine is the FPS features of the game.  There is no other way to interpret that.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/271173/some-thoughts-on-concerns/p1

"But I digress! The important thing that I want to point out here is that Star Marine isn’t an aside in any way… it’s an essential part of Star Citizen, something the rest of the game must have. We aren’t making a giant first person shooter, but we’re making a game that needs that technology in order to work. Star Marine is the blood and sinew of the game, the connective tissue that plugs planetside into boarding into space combat and so on. One of the least sexy but most important aspects of game development is building the behind-the-screens modules that make up the finished form. For everything you see, there’s dozens of pieces working together: audio systems, streaming managers, graphics renderers, physics layers and so on. Star Marine is that on a macro level… it gets plugged into Star Citizen to build the whole we’ve dreamed of."
    edited July 2016
    filmoret said:

From the way Ben is describing it.  The arena shooter is just one element of the Star Marine module.  When you board a ship that is Star Marine,  

That is still the same point i made, this was put when Star Marine was meant to introduce the FPS aspect to the game, hear by it would be expanded from it. On today's reality this is not the case. The same way MULTI-CREW was meant to be introduced on an Arena Commander update, yet all of this moved to the Persistent Universe Development. Why? Because there is no more modular development since last year.

Today: Persistent Universe > Modules, at the time of that statement it was still Modules > Merge into PU. THIS MEANS: Things like boarding are not part of Star Marine development as things like Multi-Crew are not part of Arena Commander development. Today, both of them are PERSISTENT UNIVERSE development.

Also i'm still waiting for your reply on my question, as i shall quote: What exactly are you expecting to play once you click "Star Marine" on the game's main menu? Because far i see your posts it's certainly not a FPS arena shooter game...