Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you take your time, read quest, learn the lore, or click thru so you can kill stuff?

k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
edited July 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Personally I enjoy questing and reading.  But I do understand some people just want to fight stuff and play MMORPG based games like they were shooters or FPS games.  I think it comes down to what kind of game you would play if it were single player game.  Would you be playing a game like Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, or other RPG's?  Or would you be playing games like Halo, Farcry, etc...the more action FPS based?  Yeah a lot of people play both, myself included, but I do tend to enjoy RPG's the most.  Every has a favorite genre over all others and I think it shows a lot in other game they play.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    As a general rule, yes.  Exceptions are things like repeatable quests and at least some of the bring me 10 pigs feet type of quests.  Daily quests would fall under repeatable.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I'm a clicker for sure. My wife likes to read the quests, she's all in for the story.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'll usually read the quest text for a quest once, but tend not to re-read it every time I do the same quest again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I read and look at everything.....my friends hate to group with me..

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I read and re-read on alts.  I don't re-read if I literally just did the quest(repeatable quests or leveling an alt in at the same time as my mine).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Depends on how much time I have to spend.  Some quests are really well done and I actually enjoy repeating them on alts.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    edited July 2016
    I love to read books. I will read lore on web sites that interest me. But i never read quests other than to see what,where, when, and how.

In games i play...reading stuff in a game is not what i am there for.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    It depends on the game. Some games have absolutely lousy quests so I don't read those. Games that have well developed lore/worlds deserve more attention to the quests.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    It really does depend on the game.  What's the theme?  How is it presented?
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Depends on the game more than anything. SWTOR and to a lesser extent ESO I went through all of the quest dialogue because it was pretty much all interesting and made you feel like you were part of a story. In games like WoW or Rift though I couldn't care at all. You were just wondering around doing chores for random nobodies in exchange for powerful magical artifacts handed down from their ancestors who ruled the universe in the age before.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    • Aion, I think I followed the story up until a point.
    • TERA, I read everything then I realized it was badly translated, butchered... and trash.
    • Guild Wars 2 I read everything.
    • The Secret World I read and followed every single thing... ever.
    • The story in Archeage was hot trash. You sit around and read too much in that game early and no 16x16 land for you.
    • Final Fantasy XIV I followed the main story line at first but i found it to be super childish. Couldn't bother.
    • Blade & Soul story, I kept up with it because there's nothing else to do in that game not because it's good..
    • ESO I followed main quest line and some side quest stuff.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    If it is a new game I tend to read the quests. Sometimes there are important tips you can learn. Generally when I start to get the hang of a game I stop reading everything. Except if it is an important special quest I read it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm a completionist. I read it all. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Depends. If it's a pvp game and I'm in a place where I can get ganked, you can bet I'm not reading any stupid lore. That's poor design, in my opinion, but I've seen it. Also, if you're in a group situation with random people, also don't read the lore even if I want to. I hated that about some games since people are always in a hurry to get their shinies or whatever.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    d_20 said:
    Depends. If it's a pvp game and I'm in a place where I can get ganked, you can bet I'm not reading any stupid lore. That's poor design, in my opinion, but I've seen it. Also, if you're in a group situation with random people, also don't read the lore even if I want to. I hated that about some games since people are always in a hurry to get their shinies or whatever.
    I've seen and hated both of those, yes.

Lore is completely and utterly wasted on most group content, since people just want to rush through it. SWTOR eventually wised up to this and added solo/story mode for the lore intensive Flashpoints for a reason.

Lore in PvP territory is even more annoying, as are those quest givers that have hostile mobs constantly spawning within aggro range. Some designers really didn't think things through there. >.<

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Only if i find the setting interesting, i read every single quest in wow up until cata when i quit, In BDO i read a few before realising it's just meaningless poorly translated drivel.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    If the quest text is interesting, then yes. If not, then no and I might just stop playing the game altogether.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If I know it's a quest to collect 25 naked mole rat spleens, then I usually don't care why the quest giver wants them.  

If it's part of a compelling narrative, then I'll read it all so that I understand why I'm embarking on the next part of the path.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    It really depends on the game.  WoW's quest text was quite well done in most cases, and digging into all of the quests and books really opened up the world.  Stalvan in Duskwood comes to mind.  LOTRO is another I founds pretty good.  EQ2 though, I just couldn't really get in to and ended up skipping reading most quests past the important bits, or just looking it up online.  Tons of lore to read through.  I just found it poorly presented.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    If it's just filler I'm clicking. Long time since you had to read to solve the quest.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Theres only been a couple of games where I HAD to read the actual quest...99% of MMOs you can do the quests without ever reading any of it.
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Reading quest text?

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I love reading quests that are well written.  If they are an endless chain like WOW where you have to get a quest to wipe your own ass, then the quality isn't there and it all just becomes a constant droning. 
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I we didn't have minimaps, mapmarkers or even miraculous pointers in the 3D world etc everyone would have to read. There's a sickness in the heart of the MMORPG genre and it's the people who don't want to role-play.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.