Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is making all zones immediately playable good for mmo's?

2»

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    It's good for ESO as it is based upon PC games that are more open. 

Any system for any game only has to answer one question: Is it good for that game?

The issues that keep me from playing ESO again has nothing to do with more open zones. It should have launched with this concept along with others that came later but that holds true to most mmos. It still doesn't fix the problem that playing the game for me is like a single player game on god mode. I have no interest in returning to such an arcade version of an mmorpg.

You stay sassy!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited August 2016
    Some of the best fun for me has been taking a low level character into a high level zone.  But it has to be for a reason.  In ESO it was the Vampire quest.  In GW2 it was to catch some rare pet.  It's thrilling knowing that one wrong move can get you one-shotted by a mob or set you a great distance back because you didn't mark a port.  It's also a nice change from regular leveling.
    I totally agree with you. I remember when WOW first came out traveling half way across the world from Stormwind to somewhere on the Horde side at a very low level just to tame a pet (at least that is what I vaguely recall). I think it was Elder Scrolls Oblivion where I first encountered everything scaling to my level and it took away all excitement from the leveling process. I ended up installing a mod that was highly rated to put that leveling danger back in the game. Skyrim did a little better job at it as not everything scaled to your level...but I was still completely overpowered by level  15-20 and didn't die more than once for the rest of my couple of hundred hours. Witcher 3 handles everything pretty good. Hopefully they still are able to maintain some sense of danger. It's bad enough that they still haven't addressed the static gates and made them more interesting and meaningful. Otherwise, I always thought this was a great game. I never had any issues with leveling or being confined to an area since they were so big anyway. 

There Is Always Hope!

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    The biggest plus of scaling is that it allows you to play with friends no matter what level they are. In my opinion that more than outweighs diminishment of the sense of progression.

Modern MMOs need more things that make them social, not less.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• Darkonflare15Darkonflare15 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    From the info from Gamescom, it seems that Zos is rebalancing the zones so that world bosses will truly be world bosses again. So all zones can have worth instead just the dlc zones. They want to give players a reason to go back to older zones.

By making it so that you do not have worry about overleveling and missing content because there is no reward in it. Now there going to be specific sets dedicated to each zone that drops at your level. So older players have reasons to go back older areas. So they can use the new sets since scales to them.

I think the whole point of One Tamriel is to make one big world where players can experience the game by exploring since progression is going to base off of skill points, skills, actually knowlege of game mechanics and champion points. While leveling still gets you attribute points and access to stronger just like every other mmo. Things like skill point can be found from exploring zones and doing dungeons and quest content. I actually look forward to new rebalancing of older areas to see if there is going to be some challenge to some of the older group bosses. 
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Even though I'm not crazy about the game, I like how H1Z1 does it. There are hard creatures like bears, less difficult like wolves and other creatures that have many variants, like zombies. They randomly spawn in the world so there are no hard or easy areas. You also don't always know which are hard and which are easy. And then there are those times when you get trapped in a building with a bear, a few wolves, and a dozen zombies...

That situational gameplay is what makes it fun for me. None of this, "Oh look, a level 20 bear. Im level 25. Let's kill it!" or "Oh look, a level 40 bear. I'm level 10. Run away!" BORING!!!

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    This imo is precisely a large part of what made the older mmorpgs fun, being able to go anywhere but at your own risk.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    HoiPoloi said:
    The biggest plus of scaling is that it allows you to play with friends no matter what level they are. In my opinion that more than outweighs diminishment of the sense of progression.

I know I haven't played as many mmorpgs as many of you have, but imo before scaling became a thing, people/friends played together because they either needed to or wanted to... then games started penalizing players for it because it was easier than coding the game to prevent abuses.
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I hate games with scaling content. It destroys the sense of character progression. And character progression is the reason I enjoy RPGs.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    HoiPoloi said:

Those days are over. Look around you. In the elevator. In the line at the store. In the bars. On the street corner. Faces shoved in devices. Consuming information from anonymous sources. No one WANTS to be social anymore. 

That's not a problem with MMOs. That's a problem with PEOPLE. 

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    I think will be fine , more hope less whine !