Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My friend's feedback of ESO (this is not my actual experience, but my friends)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

So, me and my friend were deciding between GW2 or ESO or FFXIV. FFXIV is too raid focused for us, and we LOVE PvP. So it was really GW2 or ESO. So, my friend tried ESO on his cousin's computer (his cousin is subbed to ESO but hasn't played in a while), and he did really enjoy it...up to a certain part. He went through the assassin quest line up to a certain quest called "A lesson in silence". Its a solo only instance. His character auto scales with the quest/zone. He said I'd really really enjoy the exploration, and being a "real" assassin was a ton of fun compared to any other MMO he played.

However, he went into the instance for that quest and there is a boss at the end. But, any time he agroed one mob, the entire room agroed at the end. And he said it be impossible for any solo player to do that. He said once he glitched it so the boss didn't agro somehow (he never was able to do that again), so he was able to kill the other NPCs one at a time. But the boss killed him, and he just got owned over and over. He said he died over 70 times before giving up, no strategy was working and he couldn't even assassinate the boss in an assassin quest line. Plus he said any time he killed any NPC, they'd respawn within seconds. Which made him rage I guess.

Not only that, but he said he hadn't been able to find any armor, and he said guilds being the Auction house showed a HUGE problem. He doesn't craft armor/weapons (his least favorite crafts), but he was in 4 trade guilds, not one had armor for his level. And the single one that did wasn't even a full set, AND wanted a TON of gold for each piece (12000 gold for 4 pieces, for not even that high end armor).

He said if it was possible to co-op that quest, the trade guild thing he didn't like at all. And that quest would still be very hard when the entire room agroes and always respawning in seconds. It need a full group, but when he asked in chat, they said it was a solo only quest. And the entire time, he wasn't able to get any armor at all. Everything came from quests (that didn't even supply him with the armor he needed) or drops and he only wanted medium armor. And only drops he was getting was light/heavy or magic staves and a single medium helmet.

He seemed really annoyed that one quest ruined the game for him, because he said he was about ready to to get me to buy ESO alongside with him. But he said all that quest ended up being was not even a quest assassins could do.

Though my friend said ESO seemed better for exploration than GW2 has been (a lot more hidden stuff, and you can loot everything supposedly, even bags/crates etc). 

One thing he said also (I've heard it from others too), is that ESO seems to have a lot better community than most MMOs he has played. It was a lot friendlier, even when he asked questions that old time players would have probably answered a lot before. But everyone treated him really friendly in ESO. It just came down to that one quest, and he said it ruined the game for him. He said since the game allows anyone to revive as soon as they die, and come back to the same place, he said he loved that mechanic and made things better. Otherwise he'd have quit way before all his deaths, with that mission. He said he just didn't understand how that could be an assassin quest, he said it felt more like a companion quest from Skyrim. And the mobs spawning in seconds really made him rage. He'd kill one or two, and then run off a short distance, come back a couple/few seconds later and they'd be back again. He had no way to single out the boss at all. And most of the time the entire room agroed on him as soon as he attacked one. Maybe it was a group quest (again chat told him otherwise though), but he said it wouldn't be one that could be done with even two people. 

And that is the thing, me and him mostly group just us two. Or if one isn't on, we do PUGs. So having a game where you need large groups to do stuff, became an issue. 

It sounds like ESO isn't made for co-op or even solo, but larger groups from what he told me from that brotherhood quest. He wasn't sure if the mobs just spawned from "portals" as backup or something, but any time he'd kill one of them, another one would appear within 4 seconds of the same NPC he just killed, and he had no way to complete that quest at all. Chat told him it was a solo quest, but he said it felt like it was vastly made for a large group of well equipped, highend players. He felt the quest level should have had a minimum limit like most MMOs have, but the game autoscaled him to what the quest level was.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    My aunt said this review is tl;dr.
  • ZArmiZZArmiZ Member UncommonPosts: 27
    ESO its a really good game in many aspects .. but the combat its that really lacks 

Full tower PC

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is good illustration of the balance problems to come when they make all zones max level with One Tamriel and bolster low level characters up to the zone level... for all zones everywhere. Low level players with less than half of a full ability toolkit on top of being inexperienced with the game will just plain struggle with some routine solo quests.

I did that quest on my CP 200+ (essentially max level +) stamina sorc with my AOE DPS + passive self-heal off my damage done soloing load-out and it was a cakewalk.

Bolstering a low level character to do solo content in high level zones has its issues. Most experienced players will tell you to wait to do Orsinium and the Thieves or DB quests and zones until you're at least level 40+ and have a comfortable solo build that can handle mini bosses + adds easily.

But that's not the way the game is advertised. ZOS is interested in selling the concept of "go anywhere anytime" and holding new players back until they're actually ready for it would go against that concept.

Now imagine when ALL zones are max level this fall and low-level players get bolstered up. New players won't even have the opportunity to go level up and get their skills sorted out in easier zones -- it'll be this way everywhere: you'll be puttering along doing just fine with random mob packs in the open world... and then you'll run into a solo-only instance that will own you repeatedly... fun?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    wait till you have gained a few levels and return, he'll have better equipment and more skills, scaled levels dosnt mean scaled everything on your character

Godz of War I call Thee

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited July 2016
    Great feedback, say thanks to your friend
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited July 2016
    Iselin said:

Bolstering a low level character to do solo content in high level zones has its issues. Most experienced players will tell you to wait to do Orsinium and the Thieves or DB quests and zones until you're at least level 40+ and have a comfortable solo build that can handle mini bosses + adds easily.

Now imagine when ALL zones are max level this fall and low-level players get bolstered up. New players won't even have the opportunity to go level up and get their skills sorted out in easier zones -- it'll be this way everywhere: you'll be puttering along doing just fine with random mob packs in the open world... and then you'll run into a solo-only instance that will own you repeatedly... fun?

I went to Orsinium on my tank DK in her mid / late 20s and felt it was really easy. I dont think bolstering is going to be to big of an issue for low level characters.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    This is good illustration of the balance problems to come when they make all zones max level with One Tamriel and bolster low level characters up to the zone level... for all zones everywhere. Low level players with less than half of a full ability toolkit on top of being inexperienced with the game will just plain struggle with some routine solo quests.

I did that quest on my CP 200+ (essentially max level +) stamina sorc with my AOE DPS + passive self-heal off my damage done soloing load-out and it was a cakewalk.

But that's not the way the game is advertised. ZOS is interested in selling the concept of "go anywhere anytime" and holding new players back until they're actually ready for it would go against that concept.

Its weird that lots of pve players take issue with any normalization of stats in pvp, but then its suddenly fine to essentially "normalize" the entire pve side of the game. Where is the sense of progression if you can do any content at any time?
    SlyLoK said:
    Iselin said:

I went to Orsinium on my tank DK in her mid / late 20s and felt it was really easy. I dont think bolstering is going to be to big of an issue for low level characters.
    I can go to Orsinium with a level 20 or even lower and do just fine too even without assigning any CPs (which I tend to leave till later because I want to see how my build works as a true lowbee) but then I've been playing for two years so I know all the tips and what ability mixes to use for CC, gap closers, self heals, efficient DPS, and which passives to emphasize so I'll have plenty of resources.

Now picture a brand new player just learning the game going there before level 15 with only 5 skills and one ultimate. And that is precisely what many will do, just like the guy in the OP's example, just because they want to do the Thieves guild or DB stuff first.

There is nothing within the game itself that discourages you from doing that. Quite the opposite. You'll run into the NPCs who will invite you to go to Orsinium, start the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines at level 6 or 7 (level 3 or 4 if you skip the starter islands) in the first town for your area.

There is nothing in the NPC dialogue or elsewhere in the game that tells you you're better off waiting a bit.

I'm not saying that I or any other experienced players will have problems when One Tamriel goes live, but the new players attracted by the "go anywhere you want" promotional stuff sure as hell will. And the problem is magnified in the solo-only instances that several quest lines have. 

Bolstering works in PVP and you can indeed go there as soon as it unlocks at level 10 mostly because Cyrodiil is group-focused and you can hide in a crowd while you figure things out. You can also do that in open world PVE by going with one or two others but there is no way to be carried through the solo instances and they're needed to progress in many quest lines.

It's actually ironic that the bolstering situation where you have the best chance to do fine at a low level, Cyrodiil, is the only one that locks you out until level 10. The others are available at level 3.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    That was the biggest complaint from skyrim players.  They want the freedom to go anywhere and feel like a badass.  Honestly I don't think its good for the game but time will tell.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited July 2016
    1. That quest is bugged and mobs are supposed to come in waves, not the entire room aggroing at once. Wait for a fix, I'm sure it will be fine once patched. If you do it the first time it will work fine, but if you die during your first attempt it then becomes bugged. Leave the instance and restart the entire quest and they should again come at you in waves, just don't die. ;)

2. You should be able to find enough armor to level with via drops as well as quest rewards. However if you really want a crafted set, just farm your mats - or buy some mats - and ask a guildmate to craft it for you. They will usually craft it for free as long as you provide mats. You can also ask in any zone chat channel for a crafter, or you can buy items off of any guild store in the game.

3. ESO is definitely made for solo or co-op gameplay. I've leveled my characters solo the entire way. What this honestly comes down to is your friend seriously raging hard at one bugged quest he didn't bother to research and calling an entire game bad because of that one quest. I think he needs to learn some relaxation techniques.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Honest it's less about lvls in this game, and more about set bonus / mundus stone / skill points. That said I looked up the quest the OP was talking about, and unless something drastically changed about that quest; it looked like he was just trying to do it wrong. A simple google search yields a number of different solutions for completing the quest on a variety of builds, including even a way in which someone managed to group w/ other people for the boss.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    If he needs heavy armor, tell him to send the mats in-game to @GladDog I can make any 8 trait armor, sword, or greatsword.  I can also make any 8 trait shield, bow, or healing stave.  Around the end of the month I'll be able to make 9 trait armor and shields.

Mats are ingots (about 12-16 per piece), style (1) and traits (1).  If he wants blue or purple armor, I'll need the correct tempers, 3 blues for each piece and 4 purples for each piece.

If his level is less than 40 I have plenty of ingots, but I need the Dwarven and Ebon ingots (needed for level 40 to 50 gear) I have for alts.

I am sure that if he is looking for other armor types he can find a crafter in his guild that can make it.
    -------------------

The game is very solo friendly if you want to go that route.  Even the bosses are solvable, although it sounds like the one your friend is fighting is bugged.  There is not much main line content that cannot be done with a duo.

Yeah, the auction house system sucks.  The best place to go is Elden Root, there are 7 vendors there, and most of the bigger trading guilds control those auctioneers.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Torval said:
    I took a level 13 nightblade to Orsinium and got my butt handed to me. I could do okay in a couple of fights, but time to kill was slow and respawn and adds were abundant. It was just more than I could handle on that character.
    Yeah, Nightblades, especially the Stamina ones are the slowest PVE starters of all the classes at self healing and damage mitigation, not to mention their severe lack of AOE until much later on to deal with packs. Quite the opposite in PVP though where they do better than others at lower levels.

Sorcerers and Templars are the easiest by far for solo PVE early on and DKs start off with a lot of damage mitigation so they can handle tough situations although their time to kill is pretty bad especially if you start them off as a tank with sword and board.

NBs and DKs can compensate a bit by starting with a 2HD since the first ability is an AOE that procs a bubble that increases in potency the more mobs you hit. But still, that same 2HD trick works much better with Templars and Sorcs.

Solo PVE in ESO is all about handling packs of mobs. I test my builds by solo clearing public dungeons where the number of linked mobs can get up to 8 or 10 - if you can handle that, you know you're on the right track.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    So, me and my friend bought ESO anyway after reading this thread. He likes it a lot more than GW2, he said he wasn't having much fun with it compared to ESO. That is is personal opinion of course. However, I am finding ESO a lot more fun as well.  And the community is awesome.

The exploration (my favorite thing to do in games) feels a lot better and its fun being able to loot everything. I've found skill shards in pretty hidden places, and random loot you'd never find by NOT exploring.

My friend liked the nightblade, but he felt it was more like an ordinary class. The 2.5 second stealth time he said isn't enough to do much stealthing, so he and I ended up both being Sorcerers. Maybe the time increases later, dunno. And both of us want to play the Sorcerer like an Assassin/Brotherhood style sorcerer, so we'll both effectively be the same class. Except I'm using dual one handed, and he is bow/two handed I hope that isn't a problem later though, since we're both playing similar characters but different weapons lol.

We'll be different by choosing different skill paths though, I doubt that will be the same.

The pet sorcerer's get is pretty cool, and has helped a lot since we both have a pet. We take enemies down pretty fast.

For brotherhood quests, we'll wait until a lot later to do that stuff. Plus he noticed his brotherhood items he got (like blade of sithis) doesn't scale with levels, so it be MUCH better to do that later when the levels mean more than they do early on. Dunno if you can buy brotherhood items or not, if so, maybe it doesn't matter as much. 

And finally, for the game itself. Even my friend has actually both been enjoying exploration a lot. He doesn't even like exploring nearly as much as me in most games. He didn't even like exploring that much in Skyrim or Fallout NV. But he has been going around stealing things and having a ton of fun being a thief, and finding random stuff out in the world.

ESO is a much better MMO (personally) than GW2 was for us. GW2 didn't seem to offer that great exploration compared to ESO (everything is marked on the map), and ESO has epic quest chains and what not. We finished up the first starter island quests, and it was epic.

Btw, Ebonheart Pact :proud:

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

My friend liked the nightblade, but he felt it was more like an ordinary class. The 2.5 second stealth time he said isn't enough to do much stealthing, so he and I ended up both being Sorcerers. Maybe the time increases later, dunno. And both of us want to play the Sorcerer like an Assassin/Brotherhood style sorcerer, so we'll both effectively be the same class. Except I'm using dual one handed, and he is bow/two handed I hope that isn't a problem later though, since we're both playing similar characters but different weapons lol.

We'll be different by choosing different skill paths though, I doubt that will be the same.

Stealth time increases dramatically when you level gets a bit higher.

The great thing about ESO is you can play however you want.  Dual wielding Sorcerer is fine.  Bow and arrow sorcerer is fine.  Just keep in mind that your chosen weapons use lots of stamina, and the sorc powers use lots of magicka, so keep your attack chains balanced.

And Aldmeri Dominion rulez!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Xarko said:
    My aunt said this review is tl;dr.

I hope this starts a mmorpg.com trend of people starting thread with  someone else said ____________.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    nevermind

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited July 2016
    I will say this about crafting.  Its really easy to do in this game and I definitely suggest that you do it.  It isn't the easiest game to get items because of how the trade stores are setup.  And lower level armor and weapons aren't usually for sale either.  Just have to find someone who is willing to craft the items for a fair price.  Its possible and frustrating because you might have to wait an hour or so.  Which is why its much better and easier just to craft everything yourself.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Qoute "Not only that, but he said he hadn't been able to find any armor, and he said guilds being the Auction house showed a HUGE problem. He doesn't craft armor/weapons (his least favorite crafts), but he was in 4 trade guilds, not one had armor for his level. And the single one that did wasn't even a full set, AND wanted a TON of gold for each piece (12000 gold for 4 pieces, for not even that high end armor)."

Sounds like he picked some shitty guild and did not bother checking other guild traders. I am a crafter and sell all levels of armor starting out at level 30 for about 1150 each pc at level 30 upto cp 160 for 20k each. always blue. He should be joining 4 trade guilds and 1 pve guild.
    ESOs level scaling system is very good in zones such as Wrothgar.  However, lower level players have a harder time there than higher levels.  

Why?  Higher levels are using blue and purple armor, have plenty of skill points invested, and have lots of skills buffed by Champion points.  They also are quite familiar with getting the most out of their abilities.  Lower levels are using white and green gear (maybe one or two blues), have a lot less skill points and abilities, and are less familiar with those abilities.  Also, if they don't have a level capped character in their stable, they don't have any buffs from champion points.  

So their level may be scaled to match the zone, but they don't have the same advantages as a long time player.

I think this is how it should be.  Yes, lower level players can get in the tougher zones, but it is going to be a lot tougher for them.  They are better off staying in level appropriate zones and working their way up.  But many players are impatient and if they want the struggle, they can go anywhere they want.  It is their choice how they go.

That quest line that was mentioned, the Dark Brotherhood, is a cake walk for my tank.  But he is very. very tough, and I know how to get the most out of all of my abilities.  He is equipped in purples and yellows, and uses yellow weapons.  That content is aimed at characters like mine, so a scaled up level 11 is going to have a much tougher time.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Iselin said:

I can go to Orsinium with a level 20 or even lower and do just fine too even without assigning any CPs (which I tend to leave till later because I want to see how my build works as a true lowbee) but then I've been playing for two years so I know all the tips and what ability mixes to use for CC, gap closers, self heals, efficient DPS, and which passives to emphasize so I'll have plenty of resources.

Now picture a brand new player just learning the game going there before level 15 with only 5 skills and one ultimate. And that is precisely what many will do, just like the guy in the OP's example, just because they want to do the Thieves guild or DB stuff first.

There is nothing within the game itself that discourages you from doing that. Quite the opposite. You'll run into the NPCs who will invite you to go to Orsinium, start the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines at level 6 or 7 (level 3 or 4 if you skip the starter islands) in the first town for your area.

There is nothing in the NPC dialogue or elsewhere in the game that tells you you're better off waiting a bit.

I'm not saying that I or any other experienced players will have problems when One Tamriel goes live, but the new players attracted by the "go anywhere you want" promotional stuff sure as hell will. And the problem is magnified in the solo-only instances that several quest lines have. 

Bolstering works in PVP and you can indeed go there as soon as it unlocks at level 10 mostly because Cyrodiil is group-focused and you can hide in a crowd while you figure things out. You can also do that in open world PVE by going with one or two others but there is no way to be carried through the solo instances and they're needed to progress in many quest lines.

It's actually ironic that the bolstering situation where you have the best chance to do fine at a low level, Cyrodiil, is the only one that locks you out until level 10. The others are available at level 3.
    I didnt have an optimal build at the time and I still dont ( I dont pay attention to the " IT " builds ) and found no area difficult at that time. Of course it may be because I was a tank + the extra skill points between 1 and whatever 20s level I was.

Though I will recommend to anyone that is bolstered to eat the highest level food you can to make it a bit easier if they are indeed having a tough time of it. I prefer the Mana , Health , Stam total increase over regen for normal PvE.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    will it be that much more of a struggle than it was for those of us that were struggling at launch to kill certain quest mobs that seemed impossible at the time?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    filmoret said:
    I will say this about crafting.  Its really easy to do in this game and I definitely suggest that you do it.  It isn't the easiest game to get items because of how the trade stores are setup.  And lower level armor and weapons aren't usually for sale either.  Just have to find someone who is willing to craft the items for a fair price.  Its possible and frustrating because you might have to wait an hour or so.  Which is why its much better and easier just to craft everything yourself.
    this is great advice to anyone starting out. the crafting is easy in this game but what i really like is the fact that as a crafter you can be totally self sufficient in this game, which as a crafter that is the goal IMO

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Its weird that lots of pve players take issue with any normalization of stats in pvp, but then its suddenly fine to essentially "normalize" the entire pve side of the game. Where is the sense of progression if you can do any content at any time?
    My thoughts exactly. This goes against everything an MMO is supposed to be. Which just reaffirms my initial perspective.....ESO is NOT an MMO. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    Puzzled by:

"He said if it was possible to co-op that quest"

If it was a "solo quest" I suspect that your friend was in what is known as a "public dungeon". If so - and your friend was initially alone - then that would explain why he/she felt it was "impossible to solo". Public dungeons are designed for co-op play.

As for armour it does drop, you get some for quests and can find it in chests and even bags and crates etc. And if you asked someone would probably make you "basic stuff" and you could - maybe - get a low level enchantment as well.

As to why there is "no" low level gear on the AH? It is how ESO crafting works. In a nutshell (example) you need iron to make a basic iron sword; quicksilver to make a quicksilver sword. Typical crafting. Making a "better quality" iron sword however needs the same additional items as those needed to make a "better quality" quicksilver sword. The additional items are "less common" hence no low level "better quality" items. Add in that a major source of those additional crafting items is via deconstructing "better quality"  items - of any level - and you start to appreciate why they tend not to be sold. 

The drops are out there however.

Edit: deconstructing items is also done to gain craft skill as well.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on