Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon is spying on us.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
You won't believe this.  I hardly believed it myself.  So I decided to order something from Amazon and it has been well over 10 years since my last order.  After changing my password I went to update my shipping address because I have moved 4 times since that last order.  Amazon autofilled my current shipping address.  Then I went to update my Credit Card information because it has probably been about 4 cards ago.  Amazon autofilled my new CC information.  And they knew my wife's cellphone number.  My work doesn't even have my wife's cellphone number.  WOW just WOW.  I guess someone has trusted Amazon with all your credit card information living information and phone numbers.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Or it could be your auto-complete on your web browser.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    LOL you are right.  Man I always used IE and switched to Google Chrome about 7 months ago.  I never realized they saved my CC information and just about everything I typed.  Definitely going to change that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Depends on your encryption level if its OK or not. Some OSes are coming out with digital wallets to store your CC information with a similar level of encryption online stores use.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    filmoret said:
    You won't believe this.  I hardly believed it myself.  So I decided to order something from Amazon and it has been well over 10 years since my last order.  After changing my password I went to update my shipping address because I have moved 4 times since that last order.  Amazon autofilled my current shipping address.  Then I went to update my Credit Card information because it has probably been about 4 cards ago.  Amazon autofilled my new CC information.  And they knew my wife's cellphone number.  My work doesn't even have my wife's cellphone number.  WOW just WOW.  I guess someone has trusted Amazon with all your credit card information living information and phone numbers.

You think that is bad, look behind you...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    It's good-form for web-developers to use autocomplete="off" for credit card fields.

Unfortunately chrome ignores it now ---> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15738259/disabling-chrome-autofill
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, as Cleffy said it isn't Amazon, more like sloppy settings in your browser :wink:  which is much worse, because not only Amazon was (in past tense, if you already changed it) able to see all those data, but every other website you've visited... of course only if they were interested in it, luckily polite and decent sites won't sniff up everything you have, and use autocomplete=off as said above.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I work in web development myself, so I know firsthand all the sneaky things sites and browsers can do. 

I basically just work on the assumption that every site I visit wants to get as much information as possible from me so they can market to me and sell my information on to other places. Nothing is safe, no level of encryption will ever be enough, and once on the internet, nothing can ever be deleted. 

From living with that assumption, you just have to alter your online behaviour and accept that some information will be at risk. Amazon and Ebay are simply too convenient to not use, so I accept that they're going to have my information and likely sell it on and misuse it, so I just make sure I give them the bare minimum. 

Same goes for browsers. Microsoft are the most trustworthy (in terms of fucking with your data) but their browsers are the least technically sound. Google are the devil, they make their entire living off stealing your data so dont trust them. Mozilla aren't too bad, but lack the budget to be truely safe. Just make sure you don't install any 3rd party addons or themes on any browser, regularly review your security settings and regularly delete saved usernames and passwords.