Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we someday be asking for a Vanilla Pantheon server?

2»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    We spend our lives chasing our first high. Its how we are wired. Be it the feeling we got the first time we had sex. The first time we figured out a boss in the first MMO we played and felt like a champ. So yes, for someone this will their first high and compare every game after this to Pantheon. So yes one day they will ask for what they can no longer find. 
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited July 2016
    Dullahan said:
    Same programmers or not, as long as they stick to their intended to design post launch, a vanilla server as we know them wouldn't be necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if people asked for progression servers down the line though. A new server can be nice, especially if there is heavy mudflation.
    Mudflation isn't just in the economy, it's everywhere. So wiping a server and restarting doesn't mean everything is cheery. You still have expansions/content and mechanics which're wrapped up in it. It's spaghetti and a major headache to unwrap. You pretty much have to live with it and do the best you can and also invest in a new MMO. With enough effort it might be possible to keep an old MMO strong for many years, but ultimately I believe it's wise to plan a new MMO early.

Wurm Online did something similar with its Wurm Unlimited venture. Instead of making Wurm Online 2, they made a stand alone Wurm Online software package which can be offline and you can run your own server too.

So essentially what's going on is simple. It's just like a elderly person. If you wnat a 20-something it's easier to just call on a couple 30-something to make a baby. Sure, you could try to make the 80-something 60 years younger, but you're making the whole thing a damn bit more difficult than it should be. Wisdom is in knowing what you can economically change and what you can't and knowing the difference.

This doesn't stop emulators from trying to recreate vanilla servers and keep them pure. Economy doesn't always matter. But if you're a business, you can't be throwing money at something which won't pay fast and easy. But fortunately, this also means there's lots of choice out there, since not everything has a profit motive.

EDIT: I realize some of you younger ones--maybe in your 20's still--might have a more optimistic viewpoint than myself. But I think after about 10 years you'll find yourself agreeing with me. Right now you don't. It's a song.

I think this is the song, maybe:

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I really think this subject is much too soon.  Lets see it in a more finished form, and decide if this is the right fit for any of us.  Then we can pine for vanilla when things change.

When the game releases, I would not expect much to change for a loooooong time.  They have to pay back investors, and pay themselves, and the entire team is going to be doing nothing but squashing bugs for months.  With a small team and the rush to get money flowing in, there will, without a doubt, be lots of ants, termites, and rhinoceros beetles to deal with.

I don't expect an expansion of any type for a good while, maybe years.  If they have an 'expansion' at all in the first year, it will be a patch whose purpose is getting the game to where they planned to release it in the first place.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!