Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everytime i download a Nvida driver update i lose space on my ssd

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
My 120 gb ssd is filling up fast and every month or so when i download a new nvida driver update i lose 2-3 gb of space, Can anyone tell me how i delete old drivers, where exactly do i find these and whats safe to delete??
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2016
    Maybe use a driver cleaner tool to completely remove all your driver files, then re-install the latest drivers?

That seems like it should work to remove any older, unnecessary files in theory.

EDIT- http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Maybe use a driver cleaner tool to completely remove all your driver files, then re-install the latest drivers?

That seems like it should work to remove any older, unnecessary files in theory.

im really not comfortable doing that, anything a little easier
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Usually they unpack to a folder called C:\nVidia, and that's safe to delete.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Go into the control panel and programs and features or add/remove programs.  Under the list of programs on your computer you should see anywhere from 4-6 Nvidia programs.  Uninstall all of them except for Geforce Experience, make sure you uninstall the one labeled 'graphics driver' last.  Then restart your computer.

Once your computer has rebooted, then open up the Geforce experience panel and go to the drivers tab. It should show that you need to download a driver.  Go ahead and do this and choose the custom installation checkbox when you see it in the menus.  Always use custom installation from now on.  Down at the bottom of the installation window there will be another checkbox that says "perform clean installation".  Always choose clean installation of new graphics drivers.  It can help fix a lot of common driver issues.

Also, if you're using Nvidia cards and you're not using Geforce experience, then you're wrong!  It's a great little tool that lets you know when you need to update and helps the update process go a lot faster.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    I assume you use the built in Windows cleaner? There will be other temporary stuff as well filling up your drive if you don't clean it.

I have never had a problem using CCleaner though over many years.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I once had a ton of space disappearing from Windows feeling the need to make backups of lots of random things so that changes could be rolled back if necessary.  The fix was to cap the space it was allowed to use for those backups at around 5% of drive space.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I use CCleaner regularly.  I've never had a problem with that program.  I also use Speccy from the same company to pull up the specs on my computer whenever I forget something like the make and speed of my RAM.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Do you have System Restore turned on?  That could explain some of the disk usage.  Check your System Restore settings.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited July 2016
    thunderC said:
    My 120 gb ssd is filling up fast and every month or so when i download a new nvida driver update i lose 2-3 gb of space, Can anyone tell me how i delete old drivers, where exactly do i find these and whats safe to delete??
    The new drivers are first unpacked in a folder in the root directory of your drive named "NVIDIA" (e.g C:/NVIDIA, yes with capital letters) before being installed. Make sure you delete said folder after installation as it consumes about 800 MB.

Then go to /program files/NVIDIA corporation and delete the "installer2" folder as well. This one consumes about 500 MB.

Finally, check your system restore settings and make sure it does not create a restore point after each display driver update.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Thx so much guys i cleared up about 6 GB!
    • Aloha Mr Hand !