Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Magic / Not High Fantasy

Zer0KZer0K Member UncommonPosts: 68
Basically, one of the big things that's buzz killin' it for me regarding this game is the virtual lack of magic / high fantasy element.
And I'm definitely not alone in this.

Sure, the game looks great, and not saying it will be bad..  Except it's unfortunate that it couldn't incorporate magic into the game
in some meaningful way.

Yes, I understand magic is meant to be really obscure.  That just means it won't be playing any meaningful role in our character's development.

You won't be able to even train in the VERY BASICS of magic with your character.  You won't really be able to choose a path to develop your character to be a magic user.

I think the game has a lot of potential and has great ideas in many other areas.  I'm just really sad it couldn't be more fantasy.  As, it's coming off more as a feudal era SIM game.

Comments

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    edited June 2016
    It's not a feudal era sim. It's a world where, depending on who you talk to, gods, ancients, titans, and powerful beings once roamed the physical plane. It's a world with multiple religions vying for power, each believing their interpretation of creation, cosmology, magic, and divinity are correct.

It's filled with wonders and things from past civilizations. It's a world with the potential for Magic and Talents and dramatic story arcs. It's a world with souls, reincarnation, soul mates, and trips between the worlds.

That said, no, it's not high fantasy. There isn't a precise term for it, but we'll go with mid-fantasy for the sake of giving it a name. Ultimately, it is what it is, and what it will become. Because if Elyria is anything, it's dynamic and prone to change.

Post edited by JeromyWalsh on
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    It reminds me a lot of Sword Art Online in that regard, sadly (and I hate to make that comparison to ANY game, because SAO is complete garbage [go watch Log Horizon for a true MMORPG anime]).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I remember reading some players will have magic abilities and that some can become vampires.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    It's coming, just not at launch. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Honestly, as someone who loves low fantasy, this is one of the more appealing factors for me.  It's not like there's an unbearable dearth of high fantasy games for people to play.

Even the one game that should be low fantasy by all accounts, Age of Conan, has more magic shoved in it than than a thanksgiving turkey.

Personally, what I'd really love to see is magic that isn't the lightening spewing, fireball tossing stuff, but more along the lines of buffs, debuffs, matter manipulation and minor enchants.  Sort of a control element of the game rather than direct damage.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I remember reading some players will have magic abilities and that some can become vampires.
    Correct. I'm looking forward to both being in the game. 

Of course i'd love to try either, but i'd be just as satisfied pvping with a bow as a good old normie.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Zer0K said:
    Basically, one of the big things that's buzz killin' it for me regarding this game is the virtual lack of magic / high fantasy element.
    And I'm definitely not alone in this.

Agree.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    It's not a feudal era sim. It's a world where, depending on who you talk to, gods, ancients, titans, and powerful beings once roamed the physical plane. It's a world with multiple religions vying for power, each believing their interpretation of creation, cosmology, magic, and divinity are correct.

It's filled with wonders and things from past civilizations. It's a world with the potential for Magic and Talents and dramatic story arcs. It's a world with souls, reincarnation, soul mates, and trips between the worlds.

That said, no, it's not high fantasy. There isn't a precise term for it, but we'll go with mid-fantasy for the sake of giving it a name. Ultimately, it is what it is, and what it will become. Because if Elyria is anything, it's dynamic and prone to change.

You know what it isn't.
    Yet don't know what it is.

Great nonanswer.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    edited June 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    Honestly, as someone who loves low fantasy, this is one of the more appealing factors for me.  It's not like there's an unbearable dearth of high fantasy games for people to play.

Even the one game that should be low fantasy by all accounts, Age of Conan, has more magic shoved in it than than a thanksgiving turkey.

Personally, what I'd really love to see is magic that isn't the lightening spewing, fireball tossing stuff, but more along the lines of buffs, debuffs, matter manipulation and minor enchants.  Sort of a control element of the game rather than direct damage.
    As far as Conan being low fantasy without magic..... did you read the books or watch the movies? There was magic in the story and it wasn't just a background mention.

Now on the to the topic. 

For me I do have a slight hesitation if there will be no magic in the game. I feel there is only so much you can do with character builds/classes without it, but I do love the vision of the game and will wait to see a working copy to see how it feels in gameplay.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311

You know what it isn't.

Great nonanswer.
    You're gonna need a napkin for all that haterade spilling out of your cup. He said mid-fantasy. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    I also prefer games with magic. On the other hand, I do not think all games need to be like that. It is all about the full package and how the features play together.
    Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Vucar said:

You know what it isn't.

Great nonanswer.
    You're gonna need a napkin for all that haterade spilling out of your cup. He said mid-fantasy. 
    This really made me chuckle. Its a bit tedious that such a hater of the game and soulbound studios keeps coming back and annoying people with comments like this.

Yes the games not high fantasy
    Yes the game is not low fantasy

The game is a mix of both and hence Jeromy used the phrase mid fantasy. Quite fitting if you ask me

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    NobleNerd said:
    H0urg1ass said:

As far as Conan being low fantasy without magic..... did you read the books or watch the movies? There was magic in the story and it wasn't just a background mention.

Now on the to the topic. 

For me I do have a slight hesitation if there will be no magic in the game. I feel there is only so much you can do with character builds/classes without it, but I do love the vision of the game and will wait to see a working copy to see how it feels in gameplay.
    Agreed,  Conan stories (especially in the books) are filled with sorcery, necromancy etc.. There are even tales of an island of reptilian-men in the lore.  It's low fantasy, fantasy is key in that label... Stygians, Hykarnians, and a number of other races practice different arts of sorcery throughout the series. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Well they could have gone the way of say...LOTRO...where in a world with only a handful of Wizards (was it 5 or 7?) where magic was very rare and not really the fireball type stuff....they HAD to create  classes like the Runekeeper and Loremaster just to satisfy the types of people that do not give a shit about what the game is about, just that it is a game. 

The lack of magic is one of the factors that I find appealing and one that I am sure fits in with the lore of the game. 

Give me a game with little to no magic rather then a game that sells its soul (looking at you LOTRO) to keep the mindless dregs happy.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Magic or not, as long as you feel like you've had a good adventure at the end of the day is all that really matters.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Without magic, how are they planning to incorporate healing into an otherwise low fantasy setting?  Natural healing?  Medicines (potions, powders and salves)?  Hospitalization?  Some healing skills?  Otherwise the magic restriction in the game will have a huge exception: divine magic.  Now, will there be clerics running around healing, or will they need to lug people to churches, conservatories, nunneries and other religious institutions for healing.  I am interested in how they choose to implement healing.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    dont know if alrady said in the posts above but 
    high fantasy doesent stand for magic orcs n stuff its about how deep goes the lore does it have relegion and how well made is it,
    got for example is high fantasy, conan might be somthing like low fantasy
    edited June 2016
    jigo86 said:
    dont know if alrady said in the posts above but 
    high fantasy doesent stand for magic orcs n stuff its about how deep goes the lore does it have relegion and how well made is it,
    got for example is high fantasy, conan might be somthing like low fantasy
    No that is not true, high fantasy means creating alternative or new worlds, low fantasy is set in our primary world, look it up.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Distopia said:
    NobleNerd said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Now on the to the topic. 

Agreed,  Conan stories (especially in the books) are filled with sorcery, necromancy etc.. There are even tales of an island of reptilian-men in the lore.  It's low fantasy, fantasy is key in that label... Stygians, Hykarnians, and a number of other races practice different arts of sorcery throughout the series. 

I don't agree at all.  I read a different Conan story pretty much once a week, three volumes of his collected works sit on the table by my Jacuzzi tub and are a favorite for relaxation reading.  I know many of them by heart and REH is one of my all time favorite authors.  Magic is very rare in the world, but Conan does encounter it often enough because he is the hero.  The protagonist, of course, is the one confronting all of the evil baddies and most of those evil baddies are in league with dark sorcery.

Magic is a very good adversarial plot device to pit against Conan since there's no man alive who can best him in physical combat.  He destroys everything on the battlefield when it's just armor and swords, therefore REH uses foul witchcraft and evil sorcery to give Conan a challenge.  Otherwise, the world is generally unacquainted with magic.

It would be like basing your impression of the US military off of Tom Clancy Novels.  Sure, some of what he writes... in fact a shocking amount does happen very infrequently, but it's by no means the norm.
  • jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    seems like the german wiki and the english is very diffrent from each other lol i just checked it
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    I am really digging that they took a few steps down from typical mage/wizard fireball and ice magic and elemental summoning.

High fantasy is so prevalent in MMOs that this is a refreshing change.

Now if they added no magical healing to the mix!  Doc, I got a splinter what can you do?  Sorry, it's infected and you're going to die.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

H0urg1ass said:
    Distopia said:
    NobleNerd said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Now on the to the topic. 

I don't agree at all.  I read a different Conan story pretty much once a week, three volumes of his collected works sit on the table by my Jacuzzi tub and are a favorite for relaxation reading.  I know many of them by heart and REH is one of my all time favorite authors.  Magic is very rare in the world, but Conan does encounter it often enough because he is the hero.  The protagonist, of course, is the one confronting all of the evil baddies and most of those evil baddies are in league with dark sorcery.

Magic is a very good adversarial plot device to pit against Conan since there's no man alive who can best him in physical combat.  He destroys everything on the battlefield when it's just armor and swords, therefore REH uses foul witchcraft and evil sorcery to give Conan a challenge.  Otherwise, the world is generally unacquainted with magic.

It would be like basing your impression of the US military off of Tom Clancy Novels.  Sure, some of what he writes... in fact a shocking amount does happen very infrequently, but it's by no means the norm.
    That is all that is at my toilet :) (Conan Novels).. So I disagree with your disagreement :P.

It certainly isn't very rare, as just about every settlement he comes upon knows of magic use, or magic users. 

jigo86 said:
    seems like the german wiki and the english is very diffrent from each other lol i just checked it
    Interesting, although I'd add doing more research just about everything I'm seeing declares the differences as I stated them. Except for one article that's talking about how there is no true definition, as some would call things like LOTR epic fantasy rather than high fantasy. It really doesn't matter in the end..

edited June 2016
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    jigo86 said:
    Interesting, although I'd add doing more research just about everything I'm seeing declares the differences as I stated them. Except for one article that's talking about how there is no true definition, as some would call things like LOTR epic fantasy rather than high fantasy. It really doesn't matter in the end..
    Tolkien's world and writing had some rather cool subtleties. He implies that Middle-earth is a long forgotten epoch in our own world. Magic was abundant, but fading over time as ages passed. He implies it in a vague way that our minds and imagination want to connect the two, but reality denies. It makes for an intriguing tension between reality and suspension of disbelief.
    I didn't realize that about Tolkien, I was never much of a fan of LOTR. Which is probably why ( although middle earth should be a clue :)).. I know that's essentially Howard's take on Hyboria more or less as well. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

You know what it isn't.

Great nonanswer.
    I'm more or less looking at every time he says "it's" I'm thinking he should be saying "We hope someday it will / won't be"...........