Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E-sports are not the future for gaming.

Comments

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cymdai said:
    People watch sports for the same reason people watch e-sports; they can't play them. T....
    that is not accurate actually. In fact I watched a documentry that touched on the whole 'watching others do things' and its a natural part of life. It has nothing to do with not being able to do it. Its also why we watch movies
    Not saying it's the only reason, but it is one of them. Observation is definitely a learning tool and an entertainment option.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Cymdai said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cymdai said:
    People watch sports for the same reason people watch e-sports; they can't play them. T....
    that is not accurate actually. In fact I watched a documentry that touched on the whole 'watching others do things' and its a natural part of life. It has nothing to do with not being able to do it. Its also why we watch movies
    Not saying it's the only reason, but it is one of them. Observation is definitely a learning tool and an entertainment option.
    I have a family member who is religious about watching sports. he also plays

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:

But he is not playing at the level of the pros he watches, right?
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

pros watch sports

and most gamers do not have pro level twitch skills

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kopogero said:
    Anyone here who seeks and enjoys playing 100% skill/action type games like MOBA's, FPS's, RTS's, racers or even WOW arena where gear is almost equal these type of games are not the future for gaming.

I've been playing competitive games like these for far longer than most here and I've dominated some of the most popular at the highest level one can. The younger, newer generation has yet to realize that vets like me are already realizing and that's the cost of being 100% on alert and focused for prolong periods leads to high level of stress, blood pressure, tremor in hands, heart related issues and far more other negative health issues. If you want to live long you'll just see how negatively they impact your health in the long run.

This is exactly why I focus more on balanced games where the "win" is divided with 50% tactical/gear/item and 50% action based. This also allows me to relax far more in the process, play longer and still feel like I'm "winning" as long as I do the right actions. This is another reason why MMO's which are all about core progression on your character allow you to separate yourself over the long run against individuals who have simply no knowledge on the world and allow me to play in a "relaxed" environment. You also don't have to be on alert non-stop, you can do other activities.

Bottom line, these newer and younger players in the gaming market will have yet to wake up and realize that their health, their lives worth far more than bragging rights vs some online players on the internet. I've also found out many of the players who play these type of games do it because they have yet to accomplish and feel that feeling on being the best, on top, so they have this complex to do whatever it takes to get there.
    Ok, you start with a nice bold statement, you take a stance. Sadly it is just an opinion in no way backed up by fact. You try to tout yourself as some authority as you were (at one time) the pinnacle, or near enough that you have 'life experience' at this sort of thing. Ok.  Well as usual I already had an opinion on this topic, but as my feelings and I think don't hold much water, I decided to go do some fact finding.

Here is a good one to reference. No where does it talk about heart issue's, stress, blood pressure, or hand tremors.

The migraines are one I deal with. Not so much from games, more so from being blown up several times, among other things, but they are definitely expounded by the games. However, you did not mention that.

As far as E-sports not being the future here or here and then  also that should get your head out of the sand.

As to the medical side of things, you have no idea what you are on about there either.

TL/DR: Nope, you are wrong. Again.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

pros watch sports

Yes, of course pro watches sports .. that is part of their "research". But the point is watching & playing are two distinct activities, and both are popular. Some people engage in one, some in both, and certainly only very few (like the pros) can play & watch at the same level. 
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

pros watch sports

Yes, of course pro watches sports .. that is part of their "research". But the point is watching & playing are two distinct activities, and both are popular. Some people engage in one, some in both, and certainly only very few (like the pros) can play & watch at the same level. 
    your over complicating this.

I am saying some people like to watch sports and some people like to watch people play video games and some people like to do both.

SEANMCAD said:

your over complicating this.

I am saying some people like to watch sports and some people like to watch people play video games and some people like to do both.

and i am saying you are right in a complicated manner :)
    edited July 2016
    fodell54 said:
    danwest58 said:
    @Kopogero

I somewhat agree with you.  Playing games endlessly causes major health problems.  At 34 I had carpal tunnel release surgery for my wrist, I also gained 100 lbs over the years of playing WOW 20+ hours a week.  Now you can say well I am an IT guy and also was on the computer for work and for my classes online.  Thats true however the stress of trying to compete at a high end put more stress on my body than playing floor and roller hockey nearly 10 times a week.  The problem with Esports is you have to do repetitive actions over and over for hundreds of hours and it will lead to worse health problems than I have/had.

People say there is no medical proof.  But look at brain injuries from sports, people still say there is no proof but if you look at it objectively with some  medical information you can say yea there is a problem.  Take carpal tunnel for example people who type all day at work are highly likely to get it from being on the computer.  You can easily come to a conclusion that playing an Esport for more hours than a person works will cause carpal tunnel.  

Here is the problem with Esports.  How many people who play them that will get carpal tunnel will get paid for playing like they will get paid for being an accounting which will get carpal tunnel?   less than 1% of all Esport gamers.  So how is the other 99%+ going to pay for carpal tunnel surgery if they get it from playing games all day and dont have a good enough job that pays well and has health insurance?  
    [mod edit]

ok hold a second

first off, that is hard. give yourself some credit. not saying people shouldnt do it and I am not saying it being hard is an excuse, but I am saying exercise every day while working a sit down job is something to be proud of its not easy. I do it so I know.

second off, to be fair some people have a genetic disposition to gain weight in ways other people do not. again that doesnt justify not exerciing and not eating right but it is a fact 
    Post edited by Vaross on

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    In other news ESPN2 will be televising Street Fighter V live from EVO 2016 

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/748919853457612801

Somebody do something, add some RNG and gear to the game to protect the 5000+ entrants from injuries. Think of the hundreds of thousands of viewers. =X
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Baitness said:

Anyways, outside of shooters I think esports are a huge waste of time.  
    Obviously not everyone has the same preference as you. You certainly can think that playing starcraft is a waste of your time, but I am sure the Korean pros would disagree. 
    Obviously not, that is why I wrote "I think."

I also think I am not the only one that feels this way.  I imagine that the more technical skill is involved, the more it will be accepted in the mainstream.  Viewers need to be able to appreciate the difficulty of a good play without having every possible bit of background information.  It is easier for a viewer to understand that a long range headshot is skillful, while it is more difficult to understand why consistent creep denial is skillful.  It is easier for a viewer to understand that a 3 pointer with a defender in your face is skillful, while it is more difficult to understand why black threatening ko to take a group is skillful.

Which is probably why CS:GO is on TBS in primetime.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cymdai said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cymdai said:
    I don't see where you're going with this? I hardly feel like the old "My dad owns a dealership...!" gag has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited July 2016
    People appreciate physical gifts far more than mental ones (and no, I am not even willing to concede that e-sports pros are 'gifted' in any way - most just happen to have an absurd amount of time on their hands and a very high tolerance for repetitive actions. So, too, does your average panhandler), and that isn't going to change any time in the future.

Show me a major league baseball player slugging a home run over 400 feet, or an NFL quarterback hitting a receiver mid-stride 60 yards downfield, while the QB is running to escape a loose 300lb defensive end, and you're going to color me impressed. Show me some 20-something college dropout who happens to be really good at LoL and funds his greasy one-KFC-meal-a-day lifestyle with Twitch hits and... I'll be embarrassed on his behalf, I guess, but not much else.

Add to this the fact that many e-sports are 1v1 contests, don't come with a speck of notoriety outside the hobby (or even in it - I played WoW since launch and couldn't tell you the name of a single 'pro' Arena player or team), receive little-to-no TV coverage (and what is covered is mocked by the most powerful people involved in sports), and yet have the gall to set themselves on a pedestal as the equivalent of real sporting leagues, and you have a recipe for abject failure.

I don't think e-sports are going away. But I don't believe they are going to grow any larger than the restrictive bounds of video games in general. Fifty years from now, nobody will be tuning in on Sunday night to catch the latest grudge match between a washed up 30 year old gas station attendent "making the comback of his life" and the hot up-and-coming tween recently expelled from school for a shabby attendance record. Sorry.
    Baitness said:

I also think I am not the only one that feels this way.  I imagine that the more technical skill is involved, the more it will be accepted in the mainstream.  
    Sure in a world with billions of people, you are not alone. But on the flip side, e-sport is getting big, so there are also enough people who like to watch games being played.

Heck, the whole concept of twitch tv is to watch people play games ... even the non-pros. 
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    fodell54 said:
    danwest58 said:
    @Kopogero

I somewhat agree with you.  Playing games endlessly causes major health problems.  At 34 I had carpal tunnel release surgery for my wrist, I also gained 100 lbs over the years of playing WOW 20+ hours a week.  Now you can say well I am an IT guy and also was on the computer for work and for my classes online.  Thats true however the stress of trying to compete at a high end put more stress on my body than playing floor and roller hockey nearly 10 times a week.  The problem with Esports is you have to do repetitive actions over and over for hundreds of hours and it will lead to worse health problems than I have/had.

People say there is no medical proof.  But look at brain injuries from sports, people still say there is no proof but if you look at it objectively with some  medical information you can say yea there is a problem.  Take carpal tunnel for example people who type all day at work are highly likely to get it from being on the computer.  You can easily come to a conclusion that playing an Esport for more hours than a person works will cause carpal tunnel.  

Here is the problem with Esports.  How many people who play them that will get carpal tunnel will get paid for playing like they will get paid for being an accounting which will get carpal tunnel?   less than 1% of all Esport gamers.  So how is the other 99%+ going to pay for carpal tunnel surgery if they get it from playing games all day and dont have a good enough job that pays well and has health insurance?  
    [mod edit]

ok hold a second

first off, that is hard. give yourself some credit. not saying people shouldnt do it and I am not saying it being hard is an excuse, but I am saying exercise every day while working a sit down job is something to be proud of its not easy. I do it so I know.

second off, to be fair some people have a genetic disposition to gain weight in ways other people do not. again that doesnt justify not exerciing and not eating right but it is a fact 
    First off it's not hard. It's not hard at all. It just requires you to not be lazy.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this but it is certainly not a fact. The vast majority of the human race can be lean with a clean diet and exercise. Saying otherwise is irresponsible and one of the reasons that the level of obesity is on the rise in the US.

What you're saying is not different then how doctors over medicate for ADHD. If you can blame your children's bad behavior on a medical issue to relieves all blame on the fact that your a bad parent. Then it's a good trade off. The same applies here. If you blame all your problems on genetics or other medical issues it relieves all blame on your poor choices. Not saying that there are people that don't have true medical issues but they are few and far between. Honestly, many of the medical issues that are on the rise in today's world are brought on by the fact that people eat like shit and are lazy. Again, that is a fact and not an assumptions.

Also, if someone does have a medical disposition and they still choose to live a unhealthy life style then they deserve what's coming to them and shouldn't be putting the blame on video games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Baitness said:

I also think I am not the only one that feels this way.  I imagine that the more technical skill is involved, the more it will be accepted in the mainstream.  
    Heck, the whole concept of twitch tv is to watch people play games ... even the non-pros. 
    Yeah, definitely a concept I can't get my head around, why?

But then I don't watch professional sports either, same reason, why?

Would much rather be playing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Welcome back Kopo, it seems your main account is active again  =)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Id rather they call it something other than e sports...It isnt a sport in any way, shape, or form
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Id rather they call it something other than e sports...It isnt a sport in any way, shape, or form
    Does it matter what they call it?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Grats on getting your account back.  That being said, you need to put the word OPINION in your titles from now on.
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    So-called "e-sports"is already big, and will in all likelihood continue growing, right along with the amount of people playing games globally.

So what ?

The rise of MOBA's didn't "kill" RPG's... 
    World of Tanks didn't "kill" CoD...

Human beings can be very single-minded at times, but one thing that will never lose its attraction is variety.

You can wish. Many would like to define MMOs in a stricter way too. What can you do when the larger population don't care enough to oblige?
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I disagree with the original premise, forum-PvP (which I hereby categorize as e-sport) is definitely the future.
    My proof are all the posters who seem to be spending more time here than in any game.

;)

• SSJTankSSJTank Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I agree with what you are saying, because after over 10 years of on and off competitive FPS/TPS gaming, i find I don't enjoy it that much anymore unless I am playing my best and improving. It doesn't make for relaxing gaming, so I'm sticking to RPGs, adventure, and story based gaming in general. At least more often. 

But just like athletes, you can't keep up your dexterity forever. Esports will continue to grow, but as it is now kids (12-18, maybe a little older) will dominate competitive gaming. Just as men typically 24-32 dominate the major pro sports in North America.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well financially it seems esport is exactly the future and Twitch proves it as the esport games are dominating.

It doesn't matter to me anyhow,i couldn't care less what is popular nor do i follow everyone else like a panda,i make my own decisions and play the type of game i want to play.
    Only bummer for me is unbelievably,the mmorpg market is stagnant with clone after clone,nobody is offering up diversity or able to think for themselves,choice is NOT an option right now,except to choose NOT to support all these clones that do little for the genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.