Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall combat style?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks,

What's the combat style in Crowfall?  Is it super-twitchy, back-flipping, dodge-rolling, lightning reflexes stuff?  Or is it something a bit slower and more casual that an old timer like me can kick back and enjoy?

Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Nevermind, here's the FAQ answer:

1. HOW WILL COMBAT “FEEL” IN CROWFALL?

In deciding what we want combat to “look and feel like,” we are drawing a lot of our inspiration from other recent MMOs. We love the idea of action-combat – but we have to make sure the game doesn’t get too “twitchy” (i.e. require lightning fast reflexes or too much button-mashing).

Crowfall combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things like sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other components that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short “locked” animation sequences – chains that you can opt to continue or break - for a cost.)

The result, when combined with our voxel terrain and physics based movement systems. is combat sequences that look more fluid, feel more visceral and require more tactical thinking.

So MAYBE there's a chance for an old fart like me.  They took some inspiration from WildStar?  Yeah, good thinking, that did so well...

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nevermind, here's the FAQ answer:

1. HOW WILL COMBAT “FEEL” IN CROWFALL?

They took some inspiration from WildStar?  Yeah, good thinking, that did so well...

It says that movement includes sprints double jumps etc, which was actually one of the nice things about Wildstar, although I hope it doesn't have those big attack telegraphs on the ground, those things were awful (imo).
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited June 2016
    the telegraphs where basically a way to make it more obvious for certain animations on whats going on. If only animations are necessary for attacks then the attacks should be intuitive on how to react.

In some games that dont use telegraphs, might have another problem with buffs and defbffs when dealing with an encounter. You would have to be looking at your U.I. instead of the field of view, and ofc the buffs being microscopic as well, that it would be almost impossible to read as something natural for the first time, but would require experience and memorization to recognize the buffs and debuffs.

I found the telegraphs added an element of fun to raids, but they can be avoided with more intuitive animations. But then its an issue can regular PCs handle all the physics that it entails?

Moving into 2017, I think so, that a PC from 2010 onwards, should be able to handle that. So may be instead of telegraphs, we can expect more animations that are intuitive for the player to respond to.

For example of a complex telegraph that is not intuitive in some games. You have two mini bosses with telegraphs, and when their telegraphs touch, they become immune to damage. There is no added animation of them blocking all dmg, showing they are buffed from being together, just that their telegraphs are touching. So without telegraphs, you can have animations that would show that, and a person would immediately recognize the situation and adapt to the fight.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

the telegraphs where basically a way to make it more obvious for certain animations on whats going on. If only animations are necessary for attacks then the attacks should be intuitive on how to react.

In some games that dont use telegraphs, might have another problem with buffs and defbffs when dealing with an encounter. You would have to be looking at your U.I. instead of the field of view, and ofc the buffs being microscopic as well, that it would be almost impossible to read as something natural for the first time, but would require experience and memorization to recognize the buffs and debuffs.

I found the telegraphs added an element of fun to raids, but they can be avoided with more intuitive animations. But then its an issue can regular PCs handle all the physics that it entails?

Moving into 2017, I think so, that a PC from 2010 onwards, should be able to handle that. So may be instead of telegraphs, we can expect more animations that are intuitive for the player to respond to.

For example of a complex telegraph that is not intuitive in some games. You have two mini bosses with telegraphs, and when their telegraphs touch, they become immune to damage. There is no added animation of them blocking all dmg, showing they are buffed from being together, just that their telegraphs are touching. So without telegraphs, you can have animations that would show that, and a person would immediately recognize the situation and adapt to the fight.

I think animation telegraphs in games like Tera are fantastic, as are many of the telegraphs in GW2 which include sound cues, different movements, and visible status effects like blinds that put a dark cloud around a characters head, cripples that make characters switch to a limping animation, etc. 

However, I didn't like the approach to telegraphs taken in Wildstar. The various color swathes on the ground used to telegraph attacks just seemed liked a lazy and rather ugly way around what has been done significantly better in many other games. So I hope CF doesn't take the same approach.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Oh boy TERA self rooting...

I don't know why MMO devs have a burning desire go halfway.  Just make the game have free aim, damn.  The combat sounds like most of the other newer MMO's out there.  Maybe it will turn out better than they describe, I hope for their sake.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I must admit the rooting thing in Tear was jarring I disliked it a lot. However telegraphs by themselves are not bad it was bad the way it was done in Wildstar I felt. I think other games have done it better and from videos of Crowfall I have seen the telegraphs are not as crazy as in Wildstar.
    Chamber of Chains
    Yeah, Tera was a bit too stilted perhaps. My favourite animation/tell style for combat is something like Dragons Dogma, or maybe dark souls/Lords of the Fallen. Anyway, will be interesting to see how CF implements it.