Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I bought ESO.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
I wanted a MMO that I could use as a alt MMO with LOTRO(My main most BAD A$$ MMO ever to be played game).  I bought ESO for my PS4,  I like it, very themepark driven, lots of things to do.  I see players everywhere.  But I have a issue.  I feel like I am playing a single player RPG.  I know computers better than my console system's(Except my PS2).  How does one communicate in ESO?  Do I need to attach a keyboard to my PS4 to chat?  Is it voice only? Did not see a chat screen on the PS4 version.  Perhaps I should have bought the PC version?  Anyone have any idea how to chat in PS4's ESO. 

I can see why people play ESO. Very good game now compared to when I tested it in beta on my PC.

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I think it is voice com only on the ps4.
  • BisloboBislobo Member UncommonPosts: 27

Welcome to ESO traveller. Text chat will be implemented on the next big update, coming in August. Both PS4 and Xbox One will have that option. Like YashaX said atm you can only use voice chat in consoles. I have to agree with you ESO is a very good game, i play it since start and i still have a blast everytime i log in. I play on the PC version and there is ppl in all zones and PvP is VERY active on this game.    

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Even after you get text access don't expect a lot of chatter, and the PVE is still going to be largely a solo experience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Yes it is largely a solo game but still the game is good because the questing is well done.

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Enjoy the PVE aspects of the game while keeping away from the PVP. The PVP portion of the game is unbalanced and attracts an extremely toxic crowd.  
  • cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Glad you're having fun.  Text chat is coming to the PS4, but I don't know the details around that.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Did they ever fix the VR grind?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    PC is always going to be better than a console version, but a fine game on whatever the platform.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Funny I bought ESO key cheap online too not more than a week ago. After I first booted it up it felt strange. I checked when this game was released 'cause it felt like it's 15 years old or something very bland graphics and terrible animations it almost felt amateurish. After 1 hour I had to wipe it off my harddrive I couldn't stand that mediocrity.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Really enjoyed ESO overall but wanted to group more and the queue times were pretty dang long.  Probably it was because my character wasn't created as a tank (which I imagine have the insta-queues, given that healers and DPS definitely didn't.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Axehilt said:
    Really enjoyed ESO overall but wanted to group more and the queue times were pretty dang long.  Probably it was because my character wasn't created as a tank (which I imagine have the insta-queues, given that healers and DPS definitely didn't.)
    Tanky DK player here, 2 hour que and I got tired of waiting and logged out. I think the group finder tool is "just a placeholder" as everyone seems to love that term.......
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    LIOKI said:
    Tanky DK player here, 2 hour que and I got tired of waiting and logged out. I think the group finder tool is "just a placeholder" as everyone seems to love that term.......
    Man that sucks to hear.  I wonder what the problem was with their dungeon system then.  

All the way up through VR3 it still seemed like decent XP and periodic (though infrequent) good loot drops.  (And tons of disenchant stuff for most professions too, if I remember right.)   Seemed plenty rewarding, so it doesn't seem like good rewards was the problem.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Was going to give this a go until it kept telling me wrong username and password even though I was entering it correctly. Then I got locked out and gave up trying after that. PS4 is voice only as far as I know this is from someone who has only read 3rd party info so don't quote me on that. PvP, I can imagine the kind of talk that would go on there.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited June 2016
    filmoret said:
    Did they ever fix the VR grind?
    VR levels are gone.

Edit : The group finder was working great before Dark Brotherhood..Now it is broken again on all platforms.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Funny I bought ESO key cheap online too not more than a week ago. After I first booted it up it felt strange. I checked when this game was released 'cause it felt like it's 15 years old or something very bland graphics and terrible animations it almost felt amateurish. After 1 hour I had to wipe it off my harddrive I couldn't stand that mediocrity.
    It's always so easy to spot the people that bad mouth a game even though they've clearly never even played it.

1 LOL for you sir.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Well got stuck a little bit. Fire eles are bad for me.  That was until I got lucky and stole a frost bow :-D.  Now I think I can finish that mission !  WooT!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited June 2016
    OP, you are not alone. This was the single most complained about "feature" of the game, it was simply a single player game with a bunch of other people running around doing the same thing you are doing. Nothing wrong with that, just that there are better single player games. Obviously some people like it, stick with it and see if you will too.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Axehilt said:
    LIOKI said:
    Man that sucks to hear.  I wonder what the problem was with their dungeon system then.  

All the way up through VR3 it still seemed like decent XP and periodic (though infrequent) good loot drops.  (And tons of disenchant stuff for most professions too, if I remember right.)   Seemed plenty rewarding, so it doesn't seem like good rewards was the problem.
    I am not sure if this applies to your situation, but the group finder tool has always been really dodgy. I keep hearing that it has been fixed but it rarely worked for me. I found it pretty easy to just hang out near the dungeon entrance and find a team in chat though (not sure what you would do on ps4).
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    mmy condolences.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    I bought it a while back because it was ridiculously cheap like...$8?

Anyways, I felt the same about the single player experience. TES games do it better with better graphical fidelity and questing...

it almost makes me feel like they were trying to just milk the money out of the Tes player base by releasing a sub par, online only, elderscrols game which required a monthly subscription fee.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Nitth said:
    I bought it a while back because it was ridiculously cheap like...$8?

Anyways, I felt the same about the single player experience. TES games do it better with better graphical fidelity and questing...

it almost makes me feel like they were trying to just milk the money out of the Tes player base by releasing a sub par, online only, elderscrols game which required a monthly subscription fee.
    I do not believe Elder Scrolls is sub par.  Although beta was very shaky.  Then again that is beta.  The game is very good now.  But, the only drawback is PC users get all the benefits of both voice chat, regular chat.  Xbox1 and PS4 users only get "Local" voice chat.

I should probably buy the PC version and just be done with my only real issue for the game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Viper482 said:
    OP, you are not alone. This was the single most complained about "feature" of the game, it was simply a single player game with a bunch of other people running around doing the same thing you are doing. Nothing wrong with that, just that there are better single player games. Obviously some people like it, stick with it and see if you will too.
    Exactly how I felt about it, had some friends I joined up with, became quickly obvious we were not going to be playing together much, especially for the PVE but even for the PVP so I left.

I don't play single player games. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    Exactly how I felt about it, had some friends I joined up with, became quickly obvious we were not going to be playing together much, especially for the PVE but even for the PVP so I left.

I don't play single player games. ;)
    Honestly if you weren't grouping doing world bosses and group dungeons, you were missing some of the best parts of the game IMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Chat improvements on console - coming as mentioned.

A single player game? Unlike a lot of mmos which are accused of "becoming single player" the history of ES games are single player and as a result ESO does play well as a single player game (opinions vary as to how well of course). 

As a result of the megaserver(s) (1 per platform, US & EU) there is almost always someone around and so it plays naturally well as a co-op game. 

Crafting has always been rich in ES games and ESO has multi-player dungeons - that are multi-player not solo walk throughs - so it plays as an mmo as well. Sadly the dungeon finder tool has / has had problems which means it gets / has gotten a bad rep so people don't / stop using it and ask in chat / guild chat etc which means people don't use it and the cycle continues.

And it has PvP. Realm based PvP in the base game campaigns and solo / group PvP in the (DLC) region called Imperial City. With all the issues that PvP brings - there is good and bad. 

And for anyone who hasn't played: the base game is huge; well polished (two years on); you don't need to sub or buy the DLC to give it a try or continue playing. (This is not a f2p game that puts blocks in place to make you sub. 
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    xpowderx said:
    I wanted a MMO that I could use as a alt MMO with LOTRO(My main most BAD A$$ MMO ever to be played game).  I bought ESO for my PS4,  I like it, very themepark driven, lots of things to do.  I see players everywhere.  But I have a issue.  I feel like I am playing a single player RPG.  I know computers better than my console system's(Except my PS2).  How does one communicate in ESO?  Do I need to attach a keyboard to my PS4 to chat?  Is it voice only? Did not see a chat screen on the PS4 version.  Perhaps I should have bought the PC version?  Anyone have any idea how to chat in PS4's ESO. 

I can see why people play ESO. Very good game now compared to when I tested it in beta on my PC.
    ESO is basically a single player game, even in the PC.  Also every one in the world is grouped always, so your never gonna get any kind of meaningful grouping. What you will get is a bunch of people going for the same target, and you only have to hit it once. I never made it to end game, so there might be some kind of grouping going on there, but don't expect people to want to talk with you. 

Also since every one can craft everything, there really isn't a whole lot to trade at the start for crafting. You can craft in a group though, and get more exp for braking down other people stuff, but I spent hours trying to get some one to be social with me, and raise crafting levels, it never happened. People just seem to want to do their own thing. It is enough for most just to see random people running around silent next to them. 

What you should also be prepared for, is people ruining your immersion, due to every one doing the same thing. So its a bad single player game, due to you never are able to get into the flow of the thing, because as your getting into the game,  8 people will run by kill the thing before you get there, and then you have to wait for it to re spawn. I also hope you don't get a guy that decides he wants to just randomly follow you around, and kill everything you are, with out talking its rather creepy lol. 

People seem to like it though :). Good luck with ps4 voice chat though ;) I can only imagine due to some things people type into chat lol. 

I would of played ESO, if I could of blocked every one in the game, thousands of people weren't running around besides me. I mean 90 percent of the stories make no sense, because they try to make it sound like your the super god that will save the world, like all ES games. There is  a problem though there are 10000 others just like you, and you see them all the time.