Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cant do it

Comments

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Then wait for 4.0 to come back, it wont be story-gated then. lol
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I also had the same issue going back to the game but I was able to make it to the new expansion. I agree that they should only make you do the important story based main quests. I will say however that I did enjoy the new expansion, but I left again due to it feeling like a "been there, done that" scenario.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    If you think the quests leading up to HW take a long time (at least they give you good lvl50 gear now) just wait until you get there. And if you think the HW story / leveling takes a long time, just wait until you get to 'end game' (don't mention the anima quest)... Honestly FFXIV is journey, if all you want is instant rewards and an 'end game' that you can burn through in a few weeks then you are playing the wrong MMO.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I don't understand. You say you love this game but you never completed the previous content and got to level 50 is it ? So that is why you have to do the content now. Why are you playing this game if you never bothered to finish the previous content. If you love Final Fantasy you should know story is everything
    Chamber of Chains
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    cheyane said:
    I don't understand. You say you love this game but you never completed the previous content and got to level 50 is it ? So that is why you have to do the content now. Why are you playing this game if you never bothered to finish the previous content. If you love Final Fantasy you should know story is everything
    No. I made it to level 50 ages ago. But Heavensward requires you to complete around 200+ quest  at 50 before you can play. I'm playing because I want to ... and because I can, dafuq? I'm fine with the story, I just hate arbitrary bullshit, which this is.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    The 200 over quests are part of the first game and as someone who claims to love FF you never finished it. Got it.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Forced questing.  Im shocked there aren't more people complaining about forced npc errand running.  Im guessing people that play the game actually enjoy stories and linear quest hubs though.
  • LumiLumiLumiLumi Member UncommonPosts: 48
    FFXIV is a story focused  game, so I';m not sure what you were expecting :s Though I'll just say the story will get you pretty much 90% of the way until 60. It'll unlock all the content at level appropriate times and it also really fun to experience. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    There was a time when MMORPGs frequently locked content behind a gate, and players were forced to complete the prerequisites or they did not pass to the next dungeon, zone or even expansion.

But players complained, designs changed, and many either have forgotten or never experienced this so I imagine it is somewhat jarring.

The thing to do is either accept it, man up and push through it all (heck, might even be fun)  or walk away from the challenge.

People used to feel a sense of accomplishment even when plowing through disagreeable activities. Not so much anymore I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LumiLumiLumiLumi Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Mardukk said:
    Forced questing.  Im shocked there aren't more people complaining about forced npc errand running.  Im guessing people that play the game actually enjoy stories and linear quest hubs though.
    There are side quests that really suck but are 100% optional. Though it does lock certain things in the end like Expert Roulette (where you need to have certain dungeons unlocked) and other level 50 roulettes and more. 

Tbh the main story quests are pretty awesome. I get people don't like questing but I've always found that to be a fun and staple way of leveling and ... well.. part of MMO culture. FFXIV is not the game for you if questing is a thing you actively dislike. And that's okay :) 
    kitarad said:
    The 200 over quests are part of the first game and as someone who claims to love FF you never finished it. Got it.
    Well excuse me for actually having a life. Some of us have school, work, and friends and cant play games 24/7 like you. God forbid you actually take a break from an MMO and expect not to be penalized. This is why MMOs are dying, no one has time for this.
    Kyleran said:
    There was a time when MMORPGs frequently locked content behind a gate, and players were forced to complete the prerequisites or they did not pass to the next dungeon, zone or even expansion.

But players complained, designs changed, and many either have forgotten or never experienced this so I imagine it is somewhat jarring.

The thing to do is either accept it, man up and push through it all (heck, might even be fun)  or walk away from the challenge.

People used to feel a sense of accomplishment even when plowing through disagreeable activities. Not so much anymore I guess.
    Why would anyone derive pleasure from "plowing through disagreeable activities?" Isn't that a bit paradoxical? I hate math. Solving linear equations all day wont make me happy, no matter how much I achieve in doing so.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    That took me quite awhile to get through that and lots and lots of going back wards and forward over and over again. Good luck. Story wise though, worth it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    i love the game and i'm currently going through the heavensward content, i'm upto one bit

Lord of the Hive, where i have to complete a hardmode trial, that would be fine if however earlier today i didnt spend 173 minutes in queue waiting before i had to leave to pick up my son from school and having to drop the queue... 173 minutes i waited with duty finder up, played overwatch while i waited 3 hours is a ridiculous amount of time, i was queued on my Dark knight, i'm half tempted to actually try dps or healer to see if it pops quicker, but even so

you can't gate a story behind content that expect you to stay in queues for hours on end, it's unrealistic.. you need to remove the duty finder stuff and find another way to tell that part of the story.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I hear you about being forced to do story content, but you have to understand, this is a numbered Final Fantasy.  Skipping the story is not optional, nor will the devs ever make it optional.  I would rather they introduced a solo version of older content rather than forcing queues on folks that have no desire to do old stuff.  Instead they chose to heavily reward those that queue daily for old story content.

At the end of the day, I'd rather they called it Final Fantasy Online instead of giving it a number.  Then they wouldn't have been limited by that design decision at all.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    mbrodie said:
    i love the game and i'm currently going through the heavensward content, i'm upto one bit

Lord of the Hive, where i have to complete a hardmode trial, that would be fine if however earlier today i didnt spend 173 minutes in queue waiting before i had to leave to pick up my son from school and having to drop the queue... 173 minutes i waited with duty finder up, played overwatch while i waited 3 hours is a ridiculous amount of time, i was queued on my Dark knight, i'm half tempted to actually try dps or healer to see if it pops quicker, but even so

you can't gate a story behind content that expect you to stay in queues for hours on end, it's unrealistic.. you need to remove the duty finder stuff and find another way to tell that part of the story.
    Ah, the old what class are you playing question?

I play healers - primarily WHM, but also the other two classes (Astrorologian added in HW) - and have never had to wait longer than 15 minutes for, well basically anything.
    Also helps of course that I play in popular times (for eu).

Really surprised to see a tank queue that long.

Oh by the way, hope you love the music in that trial. For those who aren't playing this game, or have already done this, here it is: [WITH SPOILER WARNING]

wanderica said:
    I hear you about being forced to do story content, but you have to understand, this is a numbered Final Fantasy.  Skipping the story is not optional, nor will the devs ever make it optional.  I would rather they introduced a solo version of older content rather than forcing queues on folks that have no desire to do old stuff.  Instead they chose to heavily reward those that queue daily for old story content.

At the end of the day, I'd rather they called it Final Fantasy Online instead of giving it a number.  Then they wouldn't have been limited by that design decision at all.
    oh i understand and i thoroughly enjoy the story... the one i'm speicifically talking about is a level 53 quest so it's not even old content, it's current.. and i still waited for almost 3 hours before i had to give up.

i had no other option, i couldn't find anyone in chat, in FC or anything.. all i had was the duty finder and after 3 hours of queuing as a tank, still no duty.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I am really surprised at the number of people saying the pre HW quests were worthwhile.  While I enjoyed the HW storyline, and quest writing in FFXIV is generally good, the pre HW quest line was tedious and awful.

This is the first time I have ever seen players saying they enjoyed it.  I have seen players say it is worth it to get to the HW content, seen players say they liked the questing before and after this set, seen players say that they appreciate the games dedication to story... but never before that they enjoyed the pre HW questline.

All that said, this complaint comes up often, there is no way around the questline, just slog through it.

as reference, here is a screenshot.. i just remembered i took one near the 80minute mark
    kitarad said:
    Well excuse me for actually having a life. Some of us have school, work, and friends and cant play games 24/7 like you. God forbid you actually take a break from an MMO and expect not to be penalized. This is why MMOs are dying, no one has time for this.
    Hyperbole. I have had all of those distractions you mention plus raising s family, yet have played nothing but MMORPGs for almost 15 years now.

You learn to make time to play when you can, in my case no more than 2 hours most days. (longer on weekends of course)

Pro tip: sleep is for the weak. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    That was one of my main gripes as well. It felt like a running back and forth simulator.
    That's exactly what is it. They are sending me on quest across the map to talk to someone, then back again to deliver the message, and back again to talk. Its an endless loop of useless fetch quest that have no merit or substance.
    They should have those kind of quests turn in quests through the linkshell device in the game and get the reward in the mail.
    Kyleran said:

Why would anyone derive pleasure from "plowing through disagreeable activities?" Isn't that a bit paradoxical? I hate math. Solving linear equations all day wont make me happy, no matter how much I achieve in doing so.
    You are confusing receiving a sense of accomplishment, which humans have been achieving through all sorts of disagreeble activities such as mountain climbing, building pyramids or training mercilessly for a sport with pleasure also known as "fun."

I play MMORPGS for a sense of accomplishment, which a title such as EVE has in spades, even though few EVE players would say any of the game mechanics are fun, rather they are more like real life chores you do in order to achieve your goal.

Not for everyone I realize, but it is what motivates me to login, and why for the most part I have no interest in modern day games.

I don't "play" games, I "live" in virtual worlds, and fun is what you make of it.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    That was one of my main gripes as well. It felt like a running back and forth simulator.
    That's exactly what is it. They are sending me on quest across the map to talk to someone, then back again to deliver the message, and back again to talk. Its an endless loop of useless fetch quest that have no merit or substance.
    They should have those kind of quests turn in quests through the linkshell device in the game and get the reward in the mail.

This.  If all you're going to do is go from conversation to conversation there is NO reason to have to slog across map after map to progress other than wasting time.

If this was optional, cool.  As a requirement for actually playing the expansion you paid for?  Not acceptable.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    mbrodie said:

as reference, here is a screenshot.. i just remembered i took one near the 80minute mark
    Yea I made a new character on jenova recently and it was taking forever for me too.  I think it would be a good idea for all the dungeons below end game to have a single player mode, I know they have a mode where I can co-op with at least one other person but still.  Its just not only to get past these dungeons for the story but to actually enjoy them on your own pace especially for new players going through the story for the first time.  But of course, you wont get as good loot as you would from doing them in groups.

And have the daily tutorials be group only so new players can learn to work in groups.
    edited June 2016
    Oh god, the ques are still that long? Even at endgame? That's part of the reason I left, I used to spend hours in ques for pvp and dungeons. As a healer. I know its not because of lack of players, the matching algorithm is just horrendously bad for some reason. I'd hope this would be fixed by now.