Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Without a single product to spend my $ on...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited June 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I ask the community, over these last 5½ years, do you believe any newly released product set the tone, made an example and simply set the standard on what is to come if not for gaming, at least for that particular genre? In other words a product that you believe was evolutionary and the future for what we should be receiving more of?

The first and only product for me that comes to my mind for the single player genre that was at least revolutionary was Skyrim. Now, this game I wouldn't spend $ on because I'm sick of NPC quests and stories that feel far too familiar to me in these mainstream games, and I moved on from single players when I start enjoying multiplayers far more but the way they made it free for players to mod their product and make it a far better overall experience than it already was as well as the fact the user felt at least somewhat immersed with a total freedom to approach and play the game in different ways, I believe Skyrim was the only product that separated itself from everything else we've had and again thanks to Bethesda realizing and acknowledging the reality that player created/modded game would deliver far more features and better experience than they could ever deliver. This is why afterwards we see others trying to do similar things, possibly Fallout 4 (never played it, but I heard it can be heavily modded)

I believe it is essential if not all of us, but many who see games like Skyrim that are the future for their genres to spread the word or vote with our wallets, because pushing gaming forward is the only way we will receive better than what we've had before.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited June 2016
    Kopogero said:
    I ask the community, over these last 5½ years, do you believe any newly released product set the tone, made an example and simply set the standard on what is to come if not for gaming, at least for that particular genre? In other words a product that you believe was evolutionary and the future for what we should be receiving more of?

Yes.  The Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 980.  Each was a clearly superior gaming product to all that preceded it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Oh, its this guy again. Main page needs to show who started threads so I know not to click them.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Go play second life.   You want income from a game, you want modding...   Second Life gives that to you, so take it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Dullahan said:
    Oh, its this guy again. Main page needs to show who started threads so I know not to click them.
    It does. You are not paying attention.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Love how quizzical just totally ignored the rest of the topic you posted about. 

You may consider The Witcher 3, it's a good game. Other than that... I don't have any games I'm actually interested in. Gaming is at a low point in all genre's at the moment. The only game I might be interested in is Citadel of Sorcery but it's been ten years in the making and unlikely to be released any time soon considering the last front page update they did was in October. It's like the game companies have just decided to stop trying and keep giving us more of the same crap until we finally just stop buying. 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Skyrim was in no way particularly "revolutionary" or "defined a new standard", except maybe in auto-generated generic quests, exactly the thing everyone complains about in MMOs. Besides this, it was just like Morrowind or Oblivion. As i never manage to play through the TES games, i'm not sure if i really want more of it, but if, Morrowind would be the one who revolutionized the genre.

It already had open world (except for the exact same things that Skyrim also uses instances..), modding, classless gameplay etc.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    @Anireth, the difference though is unlike Morrowind or Oblivion Skyrim was also a full package as in it had far better voice over, graphics and other game mechanics that these other two were lacking.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Dullahan said:
    It does. You are not paying attention.
    He means this page:

http://www.mmorpg.com

Not this one:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/the-pub-at-mmorpg-com
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Moirae said:

You may consider The Witcher 3, it's a good game. Other than that... I don't have any games I'm actually interested in. Gaming is at a low point in all genre's at the moment. The only game I might be interested in is Citadel of Sorcery but it's been ten years in the making and unlikely to be released any time soon considering the last front page update they did was in October. It's like the game companies have just decided to stop trying and keep giving us more of the same crap until we finally just stop buying. 
    I wish I had that problem TBH, as it stands there are just too many games, expansions as well as mods to play through. Wasteland 2 still on my HD still only about an hr in, Pillars of eternity + expansions (what I mostly play on the SP front right now), Dragon's Dogma's Dark Arisen content, Total War: Warhammer (yet to purchase),  Dark souls 2-3 (yet to purchase).... Fallout 4 DLC..so on so forth. Not to mention countless multi-player titles. 

Low point? Certainly not for me..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited June 2016
    Dullahan said:
    But Kopo's threads are hilarious... =/
    I always click them, and then see just how long it'll take for him to bring up the money. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2016
    Since Kopo cant find games to play anymore i will only answer to the title.

In the last 3 months i've bought around 25 games, including a few classics for Playstation 1 and 2. I haven't bought anything on PC in a while except for The Division that came with my GTX970.

If Steam doesnt have enough games for you to choose you can always go to GMG, Good Old Games, Origin(its improved a lot over time), Uplay(...*cough*?), humble bundle, etc.

Im sure if you take a closer look you will find something fun to play.

.....errr scratch all that, i totally forgot you just don't like to pay for games. Go out more often then :awesome:

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Not liking to pay for games and not paying for games that offer more of I already have access either for free or I'm already paying are two totally different things. If anything I'm on a very special journey, a journey that I know many around here would gladly be part of, to have such vast amount of gaming experience, to be such an avid gamer, yet somehow to manage to enjoy as much if not more gaming through these last 5½ years while not needing to spend $ on anything new that came.

That partially why this thread was brought and as you can see so far it just proves, people don't have much to say about specific titles and what exactly are doing that are revolutionary and evolutionary in what they offer that I've already experienced or still have access to experience. The way things are headed it will most likely be a full 6 year home run for me of hardcore voting with my wallet and no I'm not proud of it, I'm sad....I'm sad that business which job is to find ways for potential customers to open their wallets have failed doing it in my case. That's their job to do, to entice me to spend with their products, since they are putting their $ and investing in what they believe will pay off.

@Distopia, I'm glad you have a whole list of single player games you will be enjoying, and that just is another example, how once a MMORPG player that's been part of this community find himself going back to single players to pass the time until that great MMORPG arrives again, that I know many have been waiting it for many years now.

I focus more on watching tv series over single player games, since if I'm for the story, I find tv series just as good, minus the grind in between that I'm fed from, and go fetch quests.

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    The only game that has genuinely thrilled me, as in the "days of yore" in the past 5 years was Valkyria Chronicles, which I would rate as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

As far as MMOs are concerned? Nope. Nothing. I have modest hopes for Crowfall, though.
    Kopogero said:
    Not liking to pay for games and not paying for games that offer more of I already have access either for free 
    @Distopia, I'm glad you have a whole list of single player games you will be enjoying, and that just is another example, how once a MMORPG player that's been part of this community find himself going back to single players to pass the time until that great MMORPG arrives again, that I know many have been waiting it for many years now.

I focus more on watching tv series over single player games, since if I'm for the story, I find tv series just as good, minus the grind in between that I'm fed from, and go fetch quests.

Nah I still play ESO, Just subbed to play through the Thieves guild as well as Dark Brotherhood content. I've also always played other genres along side MMORPGs. I also play a lot of Mount & Blade warband, Chivalry , Company of Heroes 2, and other strategy games online. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Distopia said:
    Moirae said:

I wish I had that problem TBH, as it stands there are just too many games, expansions as well as mods to play through. Wasteland 2 still on my HD still only about an hr in, Pillars of eternity + expansions (what I mostly play on the SP front right now), Dragon's Dogma's Dark Arisen content, Total War: Warhammer (yet to purchase),  Dark souls 2-3 (yet to purchase).... Fallout 4 DLC..so on so forth. Not to mention countless multi-player titles. 

None of those are MMOs, much less MMORPGs.

Your response is no more relevant than if you listed a bunch of other hobbies such as stamp collecting, wood carving, and ping pong.

Sure, they keep you entertained, but the fact is you walked away from the genre and its current offerings.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Steam Summer Sale is right around the corner, will be plenty of RPGs and other good SPGs for sale, even if the MMORPG genre currently sucks (which it does).

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Dude, you are literally entering some type of twisted obsessive compulsive downward spiral with how you think about and consume VIDEO GAMES.

YOU NEED THERAPY.

edited June 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Distopia said:

Your response is no more relevant than if you listed a bunch of other hobbies such as stamp collecting, wood carving, and ping pong.

Sure, they keep you entertained, but the fact is you walked away from the genre and its current offerings.
    @kyleran I guess you didn't see my post right above yours :P.. Or the line near the bottom of the post you quoted  "countless Multiplayer titles"..which would include ESO.. I also plan on playing through TOR's DLC additions I've missed at some point. No I have not walked away from MMORPGs. Speaking of which Life Is Feudal's MMORPG servers will be going into testing soon.

As for those games I listed not being MMO's, no they're not, I used those as examples to say there's more than the Witcher 3 to choose from (in terms of SP games) they also emphasize the point that I have plenty of games to play. And so very little time.
    Post edited by Distopia on

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

So? Just expand the genre. Problem solved. It is not like MMOs defined on THIS site are all massively multiplayer anyway. 

Plus, we are here to discuss the MMO genre. No one says we have to stick with it. If there are other fun games, is there a reason not to play them just because they are classified as something else? Clearly, many here are not so bone headed, as you read what they play. 
    Kyleran said:

So? Just expand the genre. Problem solved. It is not like MMOs defined on THIS site are all massively multiplayer anyway. 

Plus, we are here to discuss the MMO genre. No one says we have to stick with it. If there are other fun games, is there a reason not to play them just because they are classified as something else? Clearly, many here are not so bone headed, as you read what they play. 
    Kyleran's post was erroneous anyway, as I haven't walked away from MMORPGs. People read into things they want to hear in them, that's all his post was. If I were to do the same to his posts all they would say to me is, he was never really into MMORPGs in the first place (he likes what EVE is, as well as liked what Mordred was, which share little in terms of what most MMORPGs have been about).... 

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Congrats on your monthly, "I haven't spent any money in 5 years post." I thought I was going to miss it this month but here we are.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kopogero said:

The first and only product for me that comes to my mind for the single player genre that was at least revolutionary was Skyrim. Now, this game I wouldn't spend $ on because I'm sick of NPC quests and stories that feel far too familiar to me in these mainstream games, and I moved on from single players when I start enjoying multiplayers far more but the way they made it free for players to mod their product and make it a far better overall experience than it already was as well as the fact the user felt at least somewhat immersed with a total freedom to approach and play the game in different ways, I believe Skyrim was the only product that separated itself from everything else we've had and again thanks to Bethesda realizing and acknowledging the reality that player created/modded game would deliver far more features and better experience than they could ever deliver. This is why afterwards we see others trying to do similar things, possibly Fallout 4 (never played it, but I heard it can be heavily modded)

I believe it is essential if not all of us, but many who see games like Skyrim that are the future for their genres to spread the word or vote with our wallets, because pushing gaming forward is the only way we will receive better than what we've had before.
    I will answer it this way.

I dont think Fallout 4 would have had a style one might call free form building if it was not for early access.

does that hint at an answer?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Distopia said:
    Kyleran said:

Kyleran's post was erroneous anyway, as I haven't walked away from MMORPGs. People read into things they want to hear in them, that's all his post was. If I were to do the same to his posts all they would say to me is, he was never really into MMORPGs in the first place (he likes what EVE is, as well as liked what Mordred was, which share little in terms of what most MMORPGs have been about).... 
    Actually you appear to play so many different games that you really don't play any games. (at least not for long enough to matter)

In addition to your examples I enjoyed Lineage 1 and 2 and Shadowbane. Underlying theme, territory control and denial of same to others.

But you are correct, I no longer enjoy "games."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon