Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aging and Perma-Death = RP Feature

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around role-playing. I don't mean role-playing in the sense of you progress and control a roaming inventory cache, but actual role-playing where you experience the events happening from some point of view a character, and are involved in how this affects the character's story.

It is known that Role-Players make up a small percentage of MMORPG players, and even among role-players there is often game time spent doing other (OOC/Meta) playing. A niche of a niche is where CoE is set to land I think, because what this game proposes to do is build a whole game for RP PvP.

RP PvPers are often ok with the idea of a character dying, because they know it furthers a story by adding drama (Game of Thrones) and suspense. RP PvPers like to win, but they can handle death because it allows for a new story to be played, or for a story to at least explain why the character seems to be serially immortal. The props of the world are less important than the story.

The actual RP players are at one end of the spectrum, while the other end contains the player who could not find the idea of inhabiting or empathizing with a character to be more absurd, and will immediately attack (in chat) any notion other than meta-play. If it does not convey a bonus, or if it is not a hard coded barrier it doesn't exist to the utility player. 

So to me the Perma-Death and Aging thing will be nothing more than an obstacle for many players, who would see it as nothing more than a constraint on their ability to gather goods and stats through the effective lifespan of the game to them, the player. 

I applaud Soulbound Studios for choosing this path, but I think it's important that people realize that this game seems to have been made for Role-Players first and foremost. The un-examined life is not worth living. They have taken Socrates to heart, and are building a game that can have an actual history because the endless day that most MMORPGs have, will not exist in Elyria. 
MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Comments

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Archlyte said:
    I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around role-playing. I don't mean role-playing in the sense of you progress and control a roaming inventory cache, but actual role-playing where you experience the events happening from some point of view a character, and are involved in how this affects the character's story.

It is known that Role-Players make up a small percentage of MMORPG players, and even among role-players there is often game time spent doing other (OOC/Meta) playing. A niche of a niche is where CoE is set to land I think, because what this game proposes to do is build a whole game for RP PvP.

RP PvPers are often ok with the idea of a character dying, because they know it furthers a story by adding drama (Game of Thrones) and suspense. RP PvPers like to win, but they can handle death because it allows for a new story to be played, or for a story to at least explain why the character seems to be serially immortal. The props of the world are less important than the story.

The actual RP players are at one end of the spectrum, while the other end contains the player who could not find the idea of inhabiting or empathizing with a character to be more absurd, and will immediately attack (in chat) any notion other than meta-play. If it does not convey a bonus, or if it is not a hard coded barrier it doesn't exist to the utility player. 

So to me the Perma-Death and Aging thing will be nothing more than an obstacle for many players, who would see it as nothing more than a constraint on their ability to gather goods and stats through the effective lifespan of the game to them, the player. 

I applaud Soulbound Studios for choosing this path, but I think it's important that people realize that this game seems to have been made for Role-Players first and foremost. The un-examined life is not aworth living. They have taken Socrates to heart, and are building a game that can have an actual history because the endless day that most MMORPGs have, will not exist in Elyria. 
    Yes. Yes it is and about time too

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Archlyte said:
    ... The un-examined life is not worth living. They have taken Socrates to heart, and are building a game that can have an actual history because the endless day that most MMORPGs have, will not exist in Elyria. 
    "The un-examined life is not worth living" - Socrates

"The un-sold spark needs better marketing" - Soulbound Studios
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Archlyte said:
    ... The un-examined life is not worth living. They have taken Socrates to heart, and are building a game that can have an actual history because the endless day that most MMORPGs have, will not exist in Elyria. 

lol. I would hope that not too many people are parted with their money on marketing promises that aren't reflected in game play. The problem I see will be handling meta-players in game because everyone who is just doing the usual schtick will take away from the experience. For that reason I am thinking there will be no general chat, or if there is then it is able to be turned off. With Identities working how they do a world chat would be stupid. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited June 2016
    Nothing could possibly be more immersion-breaking. If my character dies, their arc should be closed. To a true RPer, the idea of a constant succession of convenient ressurections is the antithesis of the hobby. It's deus ex machina run amuck... but it's worse than that, because it isn't just pathetically timely and hugely contrived, but completely predictable.

Frankly, this game looks like utter ****. This single mechanic, in cunjunction with a group of nasty, mean-spirited, amateur-hour developers, laughable budget, and promising to deliver the moon has left me actively rooting against it.
    Archlyte said:
    Archlyte said:

lol. I would hope that not too many people are parted with their money on marketing promises that aren't reflected in game play. The problem I see will be handling meta-players in game because everyone who is just doing the usual schtick will take away from the experience. For that reason I am thinking there will be no general chat, or if there is then it is able to be turned off. With Identities working how they do a world chat would be stupid. 
    Good to see your commenting on a game you don't have a clue about.

Nothing could possibly be more immersion-breaking. If my character dies, their arc should be closed. To a true RPer, the idea of a constant succession of convenient ressurections is the antithesis of the hobby. It's deus ex machina run amuck... but it's worse than that, because it isn't just pathetically timely and hugely contrived, but completely predictable.

Frankly, this game looks like utter ****. This single mechanic, in cunjunction with a group of nasty, mean-spirited, amateur-hour developers, laughable budget, and promising to deliver the moon has left me actively rooting against it.
    Actually there is a lot of rpers who are looking forward to this game me included and I come from an era where the only decent rp available was pen and paper d&d.
    It's simple your not role-playing the soul just the successive people it goes into.
    So please don't tar a whole group of people with your brush.

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Honestly the biggest disconnect for me and roleplaying in this game is the time dilation.  1 whole season passing in 1 real day is just crazy and 1 year every 4 days...    

I think stories need time to develop.  

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about time... there is another thread for that. Just wanted to point out that I personally like the concept of ageing and permadeath.  I just have an issue with the time dilation and think it detracts from what could be a defining feature.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Yeah it will be a success
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    A game that dares to be different and make its own mark will always have a better shot, than one trying to copy an already overdone formula that's frankly already been perfected.
    edited June 2016
    Drakenhoff said: 
    Actually there is a lot of rpers who are looking forward to this game me included and I come from an era where the only decent rp available was pen and paper d&d.
    [mod edit]
    150% of its goal, I'm happy, and since there was those who couldn't back it on ks waiting on the website donations to start up...

This comment doesn't actually answer what I stated that you don't speak for all rpers so don't assume to. The thing is only time will tell

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Archlyte said:
    I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around role-playing.
    I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around monetization.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Archlyte said:

I applaud Soulbound Studios for choosing this path, but I think it's important that people realize that this game seems to have been made for Role-Players first and foremost. The un-examined life is not worth living. They have taken Socrates to heart, and are building a game that can have an actual history because the endless day that most MMORPGs have, will not exist in Elyria. 

OP, you sound to me like:   "HI like MMOrpgs but why do MMOrpgs have RP in them?  COnfuzing now in-it!"
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Ceryshen said:
    Archlyte said:
    I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around role-playing.
    I'm starting to think that the main issue with the use of this system is that it is essentially based around monetization.
    Would you rather it had a wow style subscription which would be more expensive? 
    Or ftp with a P2W shop?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Aging is a roleplay feature, permadeath is not. There are huge numbers of players who only want permadeath for PvP reasons. If as has been suggested you can buy your way out of this, it is little more than another cash shop gimmick, this time for the pawned crowd.
    Scot said:
    Aging is a roleplay feature, permadeath is not. There are huge numbers of players who only want permadeath for PvP reasons. If as has been suggested you can buy your way out of this, it is little more than another cash shop gimmick, this time for the pawned crowd.
    There is no possible way to buy yourself out of the permadeath feature

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited June 2016
    Scot said:
    Not for me it's going to be the driving force behind making hard decisions become hard decisions in a game such as this. In your everyday cookiecutter mmorpg what does it mean to go on an adventure? It's the travel time, killing some random dudes, fancy quest text, and should you die along the road you just walk back to your corpse and rinse & repeat. 

They want going on travels and expeditions in Chronicles of Elyria to be filled with excitement and danger. Where heroes truly are heroes, they are risking their character's life literally. Confrontations between players become impacting and you feel you need to choose your battles carefully. To me, that's something that is rarely done and might be for a niche crowd but at least that niche crowd is thankful. There are a lot of MMORPGs out there that offer the same old experience you might be looking for but let this one be different. Please.

Thanks
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Scot said:
    It is physically impossible to buy out of permadeath, however there are in-game methods to extend your life, but they require.....certain tasks. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    It has positive and negative points, one of the positive points of permadeath in the game, is that if someone is being a bit of an 'arse' you can gather a few friends together and chain kill them to extinction, thereby removing that character from the game and forcing them to start from scratch again, which hopefully will teach them the error of their ways, although obviously it could also go the other way and you end up with a blood feud, if players holding positions of power in the game becomes a thing, it can also be a mechanic for removing players from said positions in order create opportunity for advancement, actually thats probably also a negative.
    The negative side of course is that you can be permanently killed just for the hell of it, its a purely PVP orientated feature and players are likely to make maximum use of it where possible.
    Having a cash shop item to 'avoid' the whole permadeath thing, well, that could actually be quite lucrative for the company, as i suspect it will be needed fairly often. :p
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    waynejr2 said:
    Archlyte said:

OP, you sound to me like:   "HI like MMOrpgs but why do MMOrpgs have RP in them?  COnfuzing now in-it!"
    Actually he doesnt sound like that at all, he's presenting the realities of any mmo community. But of course anyone who raises valid concerns about your beloved cant be doing so objectively.

The funny thing is, I should be in the group this team hopes to market to, and I dont think the most adamant supporters here have the slightest idea what theyre in for if the devs do what they set out to do. The OP to me sounds like someone who also might fall into the target niche, but shares some of the same concerns I do.

Which is why this idea the devs put off that theyve already identified their audience and are catering to them is absolutely ridiculous. There will be more non-rpers that play this game than anyone because that is the reality of mmos. There isnt some hidden mythical group out there that this game is going to conjure to fill its ranks and its coffers and all exist in a cosy rp friendly biosphere. Rpers tend to be imaginative people but they're not typically dense. It-wont-happen. 

This game will be filled with your run of the mill mmo players, and the devs WILL cater to them if they have any interest in survival. Rping will be as rare here as it is on any other game, which is to say nonexistent.

Anyone who tells you different is selling something..Etc.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    CoE is a RP'ers dream-come-true !

Unfortunately, it's also a griefer's dream-come-true...

It remains to be seen how much the griefers are prepared to pay for the privilige of harvesting buckets full of carebear tears...
    CoE is a RP'ers dream-come-true !

Unfortunately, it's also a griefer's dream-come-true...

It remains to be seen how much the griefers are prepared to pay for the privilige of harvesting buckets full of carebear tears...
    The developers expect day 1 to look like the last 10 minutes of Field of Dreams.

I expect day 1 to look like the first 10 minutes of  Dawn of the Dead. 

I wish them luck teaching zombies to play baseball.

waynejr2 said:
    Archlyte said:

Actually he doesnt sound like that at all, he's presenting the realities of any mmo community. But of course anyone who raises valid concerns about your beloved cant be doing so objectively.

The funny thing is, I should be in the group this team hopes to market to, and I dont think the most adamant supporters here have the slightest idea what theyre in for if the devs do what they set out to do. The OP to me sounds like someone who also might fall into the target niche, but shares some of the same concerns I do.

Which is why this idea the devs put off that theyve already identified their audience and are catering to them is absolutely ridiculous. There will be more non-rpers that play this game than anyone because that is the reality of mmos. There isnt some hidden mythical group out there that this game is going to conjure to fill its ranks and its coffers and all exist in a cosy rp friendly biosphere. Rpers tend to be imaginative people but they're not typically dense. It-wont-happen. 

This game will be filled with your run of the mill mmo players, and the devs WILL cater to them if they have any interest in survival. Rping will be as rare here as it is on any other game, which is to say nonexistent.

That's strange because all I'm seeing in my kingdom and on the forums is people prepping history's and setups for their towns and villages.

Even goon squad have declared themselves a house rather than a guild.
    What your forgetting is that rp means different things to different people. Just because people don't follow your idea of something doesn't mean their wrong.

It actually seems to me you know nothing about the game 

waynejr2 said:
    Archlyte said:

That's strange because all I'm seeing in my kingdom and on the forums is people prepping history's and setups for their towns and villages.

What your forgetting is that rp means different things to different people. Just because people don't follow your idea of something doesn't mean their wrong.

So people are on forums talking about stuff and that somehow trumps 15 years of observable mmo history. Que.

And goonsquad are now part of the mature targetted audience the devs keep rambling on about. And also rpers. That's very exciting news.

It actually seems to me you know nothing about mmo's.

edited June 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    Archlyte said:

So people are on forums talking about stuff and that somehow trumps 15 years of observable mmo history. Que.

And goonsquad are now part of the mature targetted audience the devs keep rambling on about. And also rpers. That's very exciting news.

It actually seems to me you know nothing about mmo's.

I'm talking rpg. And I didn't say goon squad was targeted by the devs. Wow I think you need to go back and reread my post.

Also I have played mmorpg's for the past 13 years. I was based on EU defiantly brotherhood on wow for the rp. Enjoyed playing a knight in doc and have always roleplayed a paladin type character.

I think you really need to find out about someone's history and read their posts thoroughly before you personally attack them.

I'm talking rpg. 
    The OP makes the topic of the thread very clear, thats what were talking about. Goonsquad is as far from being considered rpers as one can get. Your logic is because they're calling their guild a 'house' they're now some kind of rpers, by this very wide vague definition you have. Because you're talking rpg or something.

lol What?

I read your post, and I fully stand by my statement that you dont know what you're talking about. If you want to consider that a personal attack be my guest. I dont consider you saying I know nothing about this game an attack, it's just a cliche fallback when you wish to argue but dont really have an argument.

Your lack of knowledge on this topic is demonstrable with the bizarre and irrelevant things youre saying. 
    I'm talking rpg. 
    The OP makes the topic of the thread very clear, thats what were talking about. Goonsquad is as far from being considered rpers as one can get. Your logic is because they're calling their guild a 'house' they're now some kind of rpers, by this very wide vague definition you have. Because you're talking rpg or something.

lol What?

I read your post, and I fully stand by my statement that you dont know what you're talking about. If you want to consider that a personal attack be my guest. I dont consider you saying I know nothing about this game an attack, it's just a cliche fallback when you wish to argue but dont really have an argument.

Your lack of knowledge on this topic is demonstrable with the bizarre and irrelevant things youre saying. 
    And as I clearly stated in the first post wheb you decided to attack my knowledge of mmos and rpgs. RPG means different things to different peoplease.  So some people may consider being part of a house rp. Others may want to love their character to the fullest.  Neither person is wrong.

As for your attack on my knowledge of mmo, well that's a simple definition it's a online multiple game with lots and lots of people on one server.
    But then hey what do I know, obviously if someone disagrees with you they are obviously wrong.