Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox Two

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52308/new-4k-xbox-support-oculus-rift-vr-headset/index.html

Because of 4K and VR. Will the price be out of reach for most gamers?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Not if they want to sell it. Would be nice to allow for a trade in for the Xbone as well.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52308/new-4k-xbox-support-oculus-rift-vr-headset/index.html

Today: yes

Five years from now : Maybe not

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited June 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

MS is planning to release a new version in less time than that (2-3 years iirc) so I highly doubt the prices will be significantly more expensive. They're going to want people to upgrade, not scare them away.

One way to think of it is similar to how Apple runs their products. The prices go up a little once in a while, but for the most part it's not so much that people wont upgrade. They're always backward compatible and older models are supported for a long time so not everyone will feel the need to upgrade either.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

so its a failure?

Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

MS is planning to release a new version in less time than that (2-3 years iirc) so I highly doubt the prices will be significantly more expensive. They're going to want people to upgrade, not scare them away.

One way to think of it is similar to how Apple runs their products. The prices go up a little once in a while, but for the most part it's not so much that people wont upgrade. They're always backward compatible and older models are supported for a long time so not everyone will feel the need to upgrade either.
    The components to run 4k today are expensive, so I'd expect a 4k capable Xbox be be pricey as well, my guess would be in the $1200-$1500 price range.

IMHO this price range is very marketable, but I also believe sales would most likely be around a 10% ratio to the numbers of standard Xboxes sales.SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

so its a failure?

On the contrary. I don't believe it will be a failure at all. They are actually moving in a direction where I might even be interested in buying one. Unless they fuck it all up (for me) with a dumbass greedy business model.

laserit said:
    Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The components to run 4k today are expensive, so I'd expect a 4k capable Xbox be be pricey as well, my guess would be in the $1200-$1500 price range.

IMHO this price range is very marketable, but I also believe sales would most likely be around a 10% ratio to the numbers of standard Xboxes sales.SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

so its a failure?

On the contrary. I don't believe it will be a failure at all. They are actually moving in a direction where I might even be interested in buying one. Unless they fuck it all up (for me) with a dumbass greedy business model.
    so having something 'mainstream' or affordable for the majority of gamers is not a requirement for success? 
    I would agree with that.

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

so its a failure?

so having something 'mainstream' or affordable for the majority of gamers is not a requirement for success? 
    I would agree with that.
    Lol... I believe Gucci and Bugatti would agree with that as well ;)

edited June 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I would agree with that.
    Now in regards to my prediction I dont think the Xbox demographics are those that wear Gucci or those that buy high powered PCs. Its not to say xbox might want to get into that demographic but that is currently not their demographic. Which is why my default assumption is that they are going to try and keep these costs as close to traditional Xbox prices as they can and still deliver good VR. Which leads me to believe that basically by this time next year because of advances in manufacturing of 4K technology that the cost of 4K is going to drop dramatically. I think this because if said 4K costs where expected to be extreemly high that both Sony and MS would for now stay away from the technology for the consoles. I think they both know something about soon to come manufacturing costs around 4K that we do not

EDIT: I should add to this prediction on the same day that it was written that the alternate prediction is that 4K will be for video only and not for gaming. The core of the prediction here is that the price point for the new xbox will NOT be far more than existing xbox prices on a release day. Will that happen because of new 4K gaming manufacturing that we dont know about or will it because the 4K will only mean video? not sure either or

that is my prediction. mark it and record it.
    as it where:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rc1QFFrcL._SY355_.jpg

:)
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Companies have sold consoles at a loss before to get revenue in other ways to get profit. They will try to be the top seller of consoles. MS could afford to do this to outsell Sony and claw it back from game companies and Xbox Live subs.
    edited June 2016
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    Companies have sold consoles at a loss before to get revenue in other ways to get profit. They will try to be the top seller of consoles. MS could afford to do this to outsell Sony and claw it back from game companies and Xbox Live subs.
    they very well could. However, the need good leadership around the xbox design.

Case in point, leading with the most important MS gaming news in almost a decade with an example of watching a basketball game (xbox one reveal) was not one of their better ideas. If they are going to have a collection of game experiences that gamers want they are going to need people on the leadership team that understand more about games then they do basketball

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I would agree with that.
    Now in regards to my prediction I dont think the Xbox demographics are those that wear Gucci or those that buy high powered PCs. Its not to say xbox might want to get into that demographic but that is currently not their demographic. Which is why my default assumption is that they are going to try and keep these costs as close to traditional Xbox prices as they can and still deliver good VR. Which leads me to believe that basically by this time next year because of advances in manufacturing of 4K technology that the cost of 4K is going to drop dramatically. I think this because if said 4K costs where expected to be extreemly high that both Sony and MS would for now stay away from the technology for the consoles. I think they both know something about soon to come manufacturing costs around 4K that we do not

as it where:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think your timeline is a little too optimistic.

My Gucci/Bugatti remark was just aimed at the fact that something doesn't have to be mainstream and affordable to be successful.

I also believe someone who is willing to shell out $600 for the goggles probably wouldn't shy away from a $1200 Xbox that could run them.

I believe it will be about 5 years before a standard $300-$500 Xbox will able to run 4K and I'd be happy to be wrong.

edited June 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I would agree with that.

as it where:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think your timeline is a little too optimistic.

My Gucci/Bugatti remark was just aimed at the fact that something doesn't have to be mainstream and affordable to be successful.

I also believe someone who is willing to shell out $600 for the goggles probably wouldn't shy away from a $1200 Xbox that could run them.

I believe it will be about 5 years before a standard $300-$500 Xbox will able to run 4K and I'd be happy to be wrong.
    I understood your Gucci example I was just borrowing it for my example. sorry for the confusion.

I personally disagree that the xbox demographic is the same demographic that will shell out $600 for VR Goggles, which is why I think unless MS has a plan to dramatically change or add to their existing demographic then they will want to keep that price point lower than what the PC VR nutcases like me are willing to spend 

Case in point. Rift will be my 3rd VR headset, I hate consoles. Am I a demographic that will spend $600 on a headset? yes. Am I the demographic that will buy an Xbox? hell fucking no, likely not over my dead body

• patlefortpatlefort Member UncommonPosts: 142
    There is no way it's gonna run games at 4K. Even a 1080 GTX struggle with 4K.
    edited June 2016
    patlefort said:
    There is no way it's gonna run games at 4K. Even a 1080 GTX struggle with 4K.
    unless MS and Sony know something about the future of 4K technology that we dont then its likely the whole '4K' part will be only for video.

I am not sure which of those two will pan out as fact but its one or the other.

and for the recorded I added a edit to my prediction above because I have no doubt people will refer to it 6 months from now if i dont make it as tight and clean as I can

http://www.thecountrycaller.com/41561-microsoft-corporation-msft-to-announce-two-new-xbox-consoles-during-e3-rumors/

my hunch is that the prices for the VR version will not be revealed next week

edited June 2016
    laserit said:
    Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

so its a failure?

I disagree completely on the price point. AMD is running the show for console graphics and their latest PC card at $200 runs VR and 4k (according to them). Sure it's a single component at $200, but the console version of the same chip would be manufactured differently and most likely more cost effective

I would not be surprised if MS placed it's price close to if not right at the original $499 price tag. Perhaps a touch more, maybe $599 or so, but if they do much more they're treading on low sales territory IMO.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    SEANMCAD said:

As with most other tech products, it is only expensive at the start because there isn't a critical mass yet and the inventors need to recover the development cost.

Once you are talking about mass producing at a scale such as Xboxes, it won't be out-of-reach expensive anymore (and the tech itself will probably become very cheap as a result, kinda like what happens to flatscreens and SSDs)
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

That's because Apple products are already at a premium.  If they wen't up too much more, they would see a bit of a drop of fm, I think.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Kilrain said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

That's because Apple products are already at a premium.  If they wen't up too much more, they would see a bit of a drop of fm, I think.
    Consoles are a different breed of product and to be honest, 500-600 $ is a premium price. They're not used in business, are not a fashion statement, etc, they're really just a medium for which to spend hundreds or thousands on games. Which is why most consoles were sold at a loss of profit.