Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game used Steam greenlight, got greenlit but insults all steam users calling them immature?

Comments

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    lunawisp said:
    I haven't found Steam users, in general, to be any better or any worse than most other 'communities' that exist on the internet. I suspect it has a younger base of members than most purely because it covers a huge number of games and a lot of them are cheap/free. I'm pretty ambivalent to releasing CoE on Steam, I imagine they probably will eventually so there's no point worrying about it.

Let's be honest though, there is nothing anyone could say that would sate the appetite of the game's detractors. They continue to post in a forum dedicated to a game in which they have no interest and I don't understand why they feel a need to do it. When I come across a game that doesn't interest me, I ignore it. I don't go to their forums and start stirring things up and trying to make trouble.
    I would guess it's because their game of choice has seen a decline in members and they were hoping to put these people off any new games hoping they will go back to their "dying" game.

It's the only reason I could think for that because personally I wouldn't even bother with any thread about a game I have no interest in

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited May 2016
    I'm not interested in this game in the slightest.  I believe they have over promised and will under deliver, just like most indie devs.  What do you expect when they only employ 2 programmers?  Some of what I've read and seen from them looks very amateurish.  They need someone who knows wtf to do when it comes to communicating with the public.  Keep it to one or two people at most and don't let one of their random artists or whatever make any sort of public comment.  Like, ever.  [mod edit]

That being said, the Steam community really is awful and I can't blame them being worried about it when games get negative reviews because the server is down for an hour or a day 1 patch needs to be downloaded.  It really is the Mos Eisley of gaming communities.  And LOL at the "integrity" of Steam Greenlight.
    Post edited by Vaross on

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    PK'ers will read open world PvP and want in, no matter if they see this on Steam or KS.  Goons from Eve are already interested, you know what that means.
    So what, that means more story and dynamics. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Vucar said:
    Part of the reason we put CoE up on Steam Greenlight was to gauge peoples' interest in having CoE available via Steam. 
    "So we posted CoE to Greenlight first and foremost to increase awareness of the project, as well as awareness of our Kickstarter.

Every person from the Steam community that learns about CoE and comes here and backs it, helps to make CoE a reality. "

"By putting CoE in front of more people now that we're at the 90% mark, and most of the Early Birds are gone, we've ensured a steady stream of interested backers who will not only help to raise us above our funding goals, but will also help add value to those who've already backed us."

"Does that mean you'll be selling on Steam? No. It means we've given the Steam community an opportunity to tell Valve whether or not they'd like us on Steam. At this point there's no commitment. It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community.

So how I understand it is that SS would have asked people to vote to get the game available on Steam, but their primary goal would have been to advertise the Kickstarter campaign to the Steam community.

It looks to me like SS is telling their CoE fans to not worry about Steam, that they share their concerns about the Steam community and use this platform primarily as advertisement, while at the same time they effectively inform the Steam community that they're interested in making the game available on their platform. (What is Steam Greenlight? Steam Greenlight is a system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam.)

You literally bring nothing up here.

The quote you actually refer to even says "PART of the reason". Of course they wanted extra publicity for their kickstarter. Where did they say they didn't? This might blow your mind, but sometimes one action can serve two different purposes at once, like gauging interest while also increasing exposure.

Now if he had said "The ENTIRE reason we put CoE up on steam greenlight..." you might have a point. 

But he didn't, so you really have got nothing but hot hair here.
    I'll rephrase my message, hopefully it will help. SS writes:
    1) "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community."
    2) "[...] first and foremost to increase awareness of the project, as well as awareness of our Kickstarter."
    3) "Does that mean you'll be selling on Steam? No. [...]"

Steam Greenlight FAQ:
    1) "[...] enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam.

So, as I mentioned, SS seems to use a system that is meant to let users pick new games being released on Steam, while at the same time telling their fans that the decision to go on Steam isn't made and it's mostly to get Steam users to back CoE.
    Yet again this argument that they misused greenlight.

Also from the stram faq
    There are two categories in Steam Greenlight: One for mostly-finished games seeking distribution via Steam and one for early builds and concepts that are simply seeking feedback from the community. You can choose the right category for your title when you post.

Therefore they didn't misuse steam as they used greenlight for publicity and as jeremy said feedback from the steam community as to whether they would be interested
    If they used the platform to get feedback with the intention to put the game on Steam if the feedback is positive, then I agree with you that they didn't misuse Steam and Greenlight.

However they have also reassured their fans writing that "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community." and "We are using Steam Greenlight as a marketing opportunity.". 

While at the same time encouraging the Steam community to support financially CoE on Kickstarter with the understanding that once a game is Greenlite, "Valve [reaches] out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam."
    Vucar said:
    Part of the reason we put CoE up on Steam Greenlight was to gauge peoples' interest in having CoE available via Steam. 
    "So we posted CoE to Greenlight first and foremost to increase awareness of the project, as well as awareness of our Kickstarter.

Every person from the Steam community that learns about CoE and comes here and backs it, helps to make CoE a reality. "

"By putting CoE in front of more people now that we're at the 90% mark, and most of the Early Birds are gone, we've ensured a steady stream of interested backers who will not only help to raise us above our funding goals, but will also help add value to those who've already backed us."

"Does that mean you'll be selling on Steam? No. It means we've given the Steam community an opportunity to tell Valve whether or not they'd like us on Steam. At this point there's no commitment. It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community.

So how I understand it is that SS would have asked people to vote to get the game available on Steam, but their primary goal would have been to advertise the Kickstarter campaign to the Steam community.

It looks to me like SS is telling their CoE fans to not worry about Steam, that they share their concerns about the Steam community and use this platform primarily as advertisement, while at the same time they effectively inform the Steam community that they're interested in making the game available on their platform. (What is Steam Greenlight? Steam Greenlight is a system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam.)

The quote you actually refer to even says "PART of the reason". Of course they wanted extra publicity for their kickstarter. Where did they say they didn't? This might blow your mind, but sometimes one action can serve two different purposes at once, like gauging interest while also increasing exposure.

Now if he had said "The ENTIRE reason we put CoE up on steam greenlight..." you might have a point. 

1) "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community."
    2) "[...] first and foremost to increase awareness of the project, as well as awareness of our Kickstarter."

Steam Greenlight FAQ:
    1) "[...] enlists the community's help in picking some of the new games to be released on Steam.

So, as I mentioned, SS seems to use a system that is meant to let users pick new games being released on Steam, while at the same time telling their fans that the decision to go on Steam isn't made and it's mostly to get Steam users to back CoE.

Also from the stram faq
    There are two categories in Steam Greenlight: One for mostly-finished games seeking distribution via Steam and one for early builds and concepts that are simply seeking feedback from the community. You can choose the right category for your title when you post.

Therefore they didn't misuse steam as they used greenlight for publicity and as jeremy said feedback from the steam community as to whether they would be interested
    If they used the platform to get feedback with the intention to put the game on Steam if the feedback is positive, then I agree with you that they didn't misuse Steam and Greenlight.

However they have also reassured their fans writing that "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community." and "We are using Steam Greenlight as a marketing opportunity.". 

While at the same time encouraging the Steam community to support financially CoE on Kickstarter with the understanding that once a game is Greenlite, "Valve [reaches] out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam."
    If the game is ready for release yes.
    CoE is not ready for release and therefore they used the greenlight for feedback not to move towards release. 

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited May 2016
    Ginaz said:
    I'm not interested in this game in the slightest.  I believe they have over promised and will under deliver, just like most indie devs.  What do you expect when they only employ 2 programmers?  Some of what I've read and seen from them looks very amateurish.  They need someone who knows wtf to do when it comes to communicating with the public.  Keep it to one or two people at most and don't let one of their random artists or whatever make any sort of public comment.  Like, ever.  [mod edit]

That being said, the Steam community really is awful and I can't blame them being worried about it when games get negative reviews because the server is down for an hour or a day 1 patch needs to be downloaded.  It really is the Mos Eisley of gaming communities.  And LOL at the "integrity" of Steam Greenlight.
    If you not interested in this game why you think anyone care what you think? or there is a mysterious hate cult on mmorpg "I hate this game so much so I must share my point of view of which no one give a shit "
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Hey All,

I noticed this thread and wanted to take a moment to provide clarification on a few different points.

First, Lindsey's remark about the maturity of the general steam gamer wasn't meant to be a dis, trash talking, or any other slight. Most of us at Soulbound Studios are Steam gamers as well (who's not?). 

When we made our announcement that we had joined the Steam Greenlight program, a non-trivial amount of concern was expressed both from within and outside of the Kickstarter community about the side-effects that might have on the game.

The concern was simple. Our game is designed for an audience that's a bit older. Systems like Bolstering, OPCs, etc. are designed to balance the game out to be equitable for people who have limited amounts of free time. As a result, our analytics continue to show we're most popular with the 30+ audience. Those people who grew up with the early MMOs like Ultima Online, or even played text-based MUDs.

That said, Steam is a huge audience, and not all of the players on Steam fall within our target demographic. The introduction of a large number of players to which the game wasn't inherently designed for can lead to negative publicity, unfair criticism, and even a shift in player dynamics away from our ideal toward something else entirely. Lindsey's remark was meant solely to re-assure players that we're aware of the impact a broader age range can have on the game, and we're considering that with regard to whether or not we ultimately sell via Steam.

That being said, while there was initially concern about the Steam player base's response to CoE, so far the responses have been nothing but positive. We're really pleased with how well received the game has been on Steam, and so far the sub-community there that has taken an interest in CoE are exactly the players we're hoping for.

With respect to us selling on Steam, we were undecided from the beginning. We made that clear in our initial announcement. Part of the reason we put CoE up on Steam Greenlight was to gauge peoples' interest in having CoE available via Steam. If there wasn't much interest, or if the response was negative or overly critical, it would suggest it wasn't the best idea. However, the response has been positive - extremely positive, and so we're taking that into consideration.

From a business standpoint, Steam is a huge market, which stands to greatly increase the number of potential players. On the other hand, sometimes more players isn't necessarily better. We're trying to build not only a game with CoE, but a community and an experience. We have to consider the impact having a larger, untargeted audience will have on the game. So far, I'm not overly concerned. Do I think we'll end up on Steam at some point? Most likely. The community response has been great thus far, and I'm confident the game's features speak for themselves. The players we attract will be the players who are truly looking for a game like CoE, which means there's really no downside to being on Steam.

Thanks!
    -Jeromy Walsh

Did you have this feeling with all this crap from these neck-beards ?

Vucar said:

Steam Greenlight FAQ:

Also from the stram faq

CoE is not ready for release and therefore they used the greenlight for feedback not to move towards release. 

To sum up: Steam is a platform used to distribute games. Greenlight is a system used by developers to get their game distributed on Steam.

My opinion is that:

1) if Steam is used to market a Kickstarter campaign without a genuine intention to have the game distributed there, it's a questionable decision because
           a) Steam users may pledge money based on the understanding that the game will be released on Steam
           b) Greenlight is not meant to be used primarily to promote a KS campaign

2) if Steam is used with the intention to distribute the game in the future, it seems contradictory with what the studio mentioned earlier:
           a) "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community."
           b) "We are using Steam Greenlight as a marketing opportunity."

3) if Steam is used while the studio is still undecided whether or not they want CoE to get distributed on Steam, then I consider it's more of less coherent with items 1.a and 2.a. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Vucar said:

Steam Greenlight FAQ:

Also from the stram faq

To sum up: Steam is a platform used to distribute games. Greenlight is a system used by developers to get their game distributed on Steam.

My opinion is that:

1) if Steam is used to market a Kickstarter campaign without a genuine intention to have the game distributed there, it's a questionable decision because
           a) Steam users may pledge money based on the understanding that the game will be released on Steam

2) if Steam is used with the intention to distribute the game in the future, it seems contradictory with what the studio mentioned earlier:
           a) "It's simply a way for us to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community."

3) if Steam is used while the studio is still undecided whether or not they want CoE to get distributed on Steam, then I consider it's more of less coherent with items 1.a and 2.a. 
    your wrong.

but more importantly you should not use steam or play any game associated with it

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    SEANMCAD said:
    your wrong.

but more importantly you should not use steam or play any game associated with it
    'I don't like Steam so the company I support has every right to abuse greenlight for advertising purposes.
    And Steam shouldn't be used anyway!'
    Harbinger of Fools
  • VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Company does a thing, learns from doing the thing, uses that knowledge to inform future business decisions. More at 11. 
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Vucar said:

Steam Greenlight FAQ:

Also from the stram faq

My opinion is that:

The op's quote was on the kickstarter.  So anyone from steam that decided to visit the kickstarter to see if they wanted to pledge should of read the actual kickstarter where they stated they aren't  sure if they wanted to launch on steam or not.

So your ok with a company going to steam and getting turned down by steam but not the other way around?
    st4t1ck said:

My opinion is that:

The op's quote was on the kickstarter.  So anyone from steam that decided to visit the kickstarter to see if they wanted to pledge should of read the actual kickstarter where they stated they aren't  sure if they wanted to launch on steam or not.

So your ok with a company going to steam and getting turned down by steam but not the other way around?
    Do you mean that before pledging, Steam users who have been invited on the Greenlight page to pledge money to CoE KS campaign should have read all the 27 updates posted on Kickstarter, in search of a caveat  explaining that the Greenlight was simply a way "to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community"? That seems unreasonable to me.

I'm ok with projects getting turned down on Greenlight by Steam users. I could find questionable that any studio would either use Greenlight primarily to advertise their KS campaign, use Greenlight if they don't have the intention to distribute on Steam or tell their fans not to worry, that it's simply to get more exposure, while at the same time effectively adding CoE on Greenlight (system used to pick games that will be distributed on Steam).
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I use Steam... but it's an application not a god damn team to be apart of. So what if he said that? 
    wormed said:
    I use Steam... but it's an application not a god damn team to be apart of. So what if he said that? 
    Lol brilliant just brilliant.

Steam for me is a place to have all games with easy access and not having to worry which site I got them from

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    st4t1ck said:

My opinion is that:

Do you mean that before pledging, Steam users who have been invited on the Greenlight page to pledge money to CoE KS campaign should have read all the 27 updates posted on Kickstarter, in search of a caveat  explaining that the Greenlight was simply a way "to get more exposure and to hear from the Steam community"? That seems unreasonable to me.

I'm ok with projects getting turned down on Greenlight by Steam users. I could find questionable that any studio would either use Greenlight primarily to advertise their KS campaign, use Greenlight if they don't have the intention to distribute on Steam or tell their fans not to worry, that it's simply to get more exposure, while at the same time effectively adding CoE on Greenlight (system used to pick games that will be distributed on Steam).
    No i mean by the time the KS is over if you did not read what you were pledging your money too then you did not make an informed decision.   Im  not saying it was right for COE to do it this way, but they did make it clear that they weren't sure if they wanted to use steam or not.

My post is mainly about what was stated below,   i dont think that they were out to dupe anybody into thinking it would be releeased on steam.  If you pledged you money without reading what you were pledging, thats on you.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Rhoklaw said:
    People are starving all over the world and a multitude of organizations claiming to help end this hunger advertise on media outlets regularly. You'd be surprised how little help they give, but no, here in America, it's more interesting to discuss the intricacies of marketing ploys used by game developers, whether intentional or not. Step 1 on how to create a mountain out of a mole hill. Pretend what you are arguing actually matters whether it's true or not.
    How dare we discuss video game related things on a video game forum!
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited May 2016
    Vucar said:

Steam Greenlight FAQ:

Also from the stram faq

My opinion is that:

No one gives a single fuck we all have steam account for exclusively steam game and I'm just fine with what they did saying that I also was Pro Promoting on Steam but against making the deal with steam .

Only those who bashed CoE from beginning of KS butt hurt on every thing SBS dose on every thing that why I think you point of view is worth nothing I don't care much what Forum neck beard think .

If your such a social warrior better for figure our real problems like why USA spends 15 time more money on Army than any other country including Russian whom USA tries to demonize  .And how many are stolen in pockets of those in charge...
    Or why USA bash Russia for killing terrorists ....
    Or Aram Migration to Europe ....
    and so on real life problems

OMG Indi company  used free promoting tool outrageous !!!!!

Just saying some food for brain

Dakeru said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    your wrong.

'I don't like Steam so the company I support has every right to abuse greenlight for advertising purposes.
    First time you said something reasonable xD
    If your such a social warrior better for figure our real problems like why USA spends 15 time more money on Army .And how many are stolen in pockets of those in charge...
    Or why USA bash Russia for killing terrorists ....
    and so on real life problems
    Rhoklaw said:
    People are starving all over the world and a multitude of organizations claiming to help end this hunger advertise on media outlets regularly. You'd be surprised how little help they give, but no, here in America, it's more interesting to discuss the intricacies of marketing ploys used by game developers, whether intentional or not. Step 1 on how to create a mountain out of a mole hill. Pretend what you are arguing actually matters whether it's true or not.
    Indeed, a lot of troubles around the world. It would surely be more productive to spend some time volunteering rather than discussing with other gamers on a gaming news website. 
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Agree most reviews from steam are no sense 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    vadio123 said:
    Agree most reviews from steam are no sense 

Yes they are. So knowing that, why do a Greenlight campaign there at all?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Vutar said:
    The steam community in general is immature. Not sure why people would be offended by someone pointing out the obvious. Then again most internet forums are immature.
    and nobody is offended. you just sem to wish they were

Dakeru said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    your wrong.

thanks for sharing!

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Vutar said:
    The steam community in general is immature. Not sure why people would be offended by someone pointing out the obvious. Then again most internet forums are immature.
    For the longest time i thought someone was misattributing a quote to me and spelling my name wrong, which is common.

I didn't realize there actually was a person named Vutar...

This is almost as traumatic to my sense of self-worth as that attack on my identity as a steam gamer was.