Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 1080 Now For Sale...All Out of Stock.

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    WolfClaws said:
    What is funny to me is that the 980s are still $600+ on sites like newegg.  even when a new card is running around out there, at the same price. Guess gotta wait a bit longer to get those deals.
    I was seeing that today when I was checking prices lol

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    WolfClaws said:
    What is funny to me is that the 980s are still $600+ on sites like newegg.  even when a new card is running around out there, at the same price. Guess gotta wait a bit longer to get those deals.
    I see $445:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125696

Yes, you can find some at crazy prices.  But you can always find that.  Here's a GeForce GTX 480 for $643.50:

http://www.pinnaclemicro.com/computer/dsku.php?g=GV-N480D5-15I-B&m=Gigabyte&c=NEW&elink=gpf&gclid=CO-QrNOi-8wCFcYkhgodG3QLQw

That was a crazy price six years ago, let alone today.  But that's why it's still in stock rather than selling out years ago when they were discontinued.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    Malabooga said:
    for the 3rd time everyone on both sides of this discussion knew that would happen

CORRECTION: Actually I didnt see that coming but I also didnt think they would be on the shelves for sure, I just posted what my email said nothing more on that specific

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited May 2016
    WolfClaws said:
    oh wow. I wonder if they just plan to dump the 980 completely out of the market place.

I have seen that happen with RAM several years ago where the new ram was priced the same as the old and the old didnt change so nobody bought the old or it might have been video cards I really dont recall which

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Quizzical said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Good has nothing to do with it.  Early supplies are going to be very, very low if you try to launch a card using a new memory standard just over two months after it started sampling--low enough that they'd sell out just from fanboy effects even if they weren't any better than the previous generation.
    True statement, however, are they good in your opinion or is it just a fancy new card with little to offer?
    It depends on what you're comparing them to.  If you're only comparing them to the 28 nm cards that you can buy today, then yes, they're excellent cards.  So will basically everything else in the Pascal, Polaris, and Vega lineups.

If you're comparing them to the other 14/16 nm cards, I expect them to be good cards that are competitive.  It looks like Nvidia is starting by launching relatively higher performance, higher power, large die cards than AMD on the new process nodes.  A few months from now, it will likely be that if all you care about is price and performance, if you want a $200 or $300 card, you buy AMD, and if you want a $400 or $600 card, you buy Nvidia.

A year from now, once AMD and Nvidia have filled out their entire 14/16 nm lineups, my best guess is that a GeForce GTX 1070 will be a reasonable option at $300, and a GeForce GTX 1080 will be a reasonable option at $400, but competing AMD cards will also be reasonable options at both of those price points.

I'm not saying that the GTX 1070 and 1080 are bad cards.  I'm only saying that, even if the GTX 1080 were bad enough that it's obvious that Nvidia lost the generation (say, same performance, but 600 mm^2, 300 W, and a 512-bit memory bus), they'd still have sold out with such meager supplies as could plausibly be available today.

The whole "of course they sold out" applies only to the GeForce GTX 1080, not the GTX 1070.  The latter is using GDDR5, so it's plausible that it could have a hard launch.  I'm personally expecting a soft launch (a lot of cards available, but not nearly enough to avoid selling out), with widespread availability a few weeks after launch.  But that's just a guess, and it wouldn't be a shock if they have a hard launch with wide availability on launch day, nor if it's basically a paper launch and takes a couple months before they're easy to find at MSRP.
    Thx,  gives me some things to think about.  My natural inclination is to buy updated/shiny stuff quickly.  As, I'm getting older, I'm making more of a concerted effort to get info before being sucked into the 'get new, get new' trap.  Not always successful, but better.  I really want the VR, but I'm pretty firm on waiting a gen or 2.

I self identify as a monkey.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited May 2016
    WolfClaws said:
    please put some pics when u have time, gpu-z, a card itself, box, etc, ... :)
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    who cares. no games need one
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    13lake said:
    WolfClaws said:
    please put some pics when u have time, gpu-z, a card itself, box, etc, ... :)
    Sure. I get it in tomorrow.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    no reason to get one, since no game need that horsepower or will need it in the next 2y probably. The cpu and gpu market are on a hold (good for us).
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited May 2016
    Its nice to have new things, but the 1080 is more for 4k, multi moniter set ups and 3d and VR.

It really depends on game developers and running things on max for the new games.

And even new games can run well on older set ups if put less graphics/effects to be processed on the screen like a console game would be customized to have.

So for those thinking about buying the 1080, i think to have a set up that properly uses its full potential (VR) otherwise for a simple 1080p screen set up a single 980ti should be fine for a while at a better price.

Ultimately its value for money. Without number crunching I think a 980ti has more value with lower prices

also 980ti vs 1080 perform very close to each other depending on the game and not a huge improvement.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited May 2016
    overclockers.co.uk has various custom cooler AIB 1080s listed for pre-order (some first week, some second, some third week of june) for lower prices than the founder edition.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080?sPage=1&sSort=3

It looks like i was correct with the way this was gonna play just not the exact numbers for the rate of stocking up after the first day.

uk had a little bit less 1000, canada surprisingly in stock longer than usa so maybe weirdly less for usa than uk or canada, compared to how many cards u'd think usa would get if u compared the population and average people willing spend, but in general it feels like eu+na+canada around 4000-5000.

And now there's staggered delay with a couple of hundred to a thousand coming every week or so depending on country like a steady stream (as soon as they're ready and without waiting to have a sizeable number in stock like Quizz said was the smart thing to do)

So about 2-3x more than i said would make it a real paper launch, but more similar to amd 290/290x semi-paper launch (with the situation not as bad because no bitcoin craze buying up every single reference edition piece, and with the custom coolers looking like they will come way sooner than the couple of months 290/290x custom coolers)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    That's what I was thinking, what game now or in the next 2 years is going to be coded to require or even take advantage of this power?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    That's not really true. Gaming at 4k can use the most powerful card or needs SLI/Crossfire. There still isn't a single GPU card, including this one, that can game at 4K at 60FPS.

But it all depends on the games, the settings you want to play at, and the rest of the rig, mostly display. For 1080p this card is overkill for most games out now. For higher rez gaming it will be a better card than what's available now.
    4K gaming, are they making computer monitors and laptop monitors at that resolution now?

Or is it strictly for TV gaming?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited May 2016
    We'll still see when they will stabilize in the shops, but there's 2 interesting things that happened :

1. Founders Edition cards were strictly at $699 and no seller in canada+us+uk at least upped the price for the first batch like they usually do (we still have to see if they up their margin for the next batches), so nvidia laid down the law that the only gouging on launch day was their gouging :)

2. There weren't gonna be hundreds of thousands of 1080 sold at launch, heck not even this year, and probably not at all for the duration of its generation, so there wasn't really any need to have any sizable stock of either 1080 or GDDR5x(they only put it on 1 card because of this).

So if nvidia could have its people accurately judge how many actual buyers for  the 1080 there would be for the first 3 months, and then just go with like a 1/3 of that number for when to start selling, and if they calculated that with the end of may+june+july time frame they should have enough, they could just do the exact thing they are doing now and do something not exactly paper launch, and definitely not hard launch but something in between.

similar to server scaling tactic mmo game developers employ : never have as much as you would need right away, always start less and build up depending on how the situation changes.

This way they don't have cards in stock collecting dust, the two dozen thousand or so enthusiasts in key world markets would all have theirs bought within 3-4 months, with the added anxiety and paranoia, actually boosting sales and making people who can't afford or didn't want to get theirs get psychologically manipulated to buy when they didn't want, shouldn't have, or couldn't afford to, and it's a win-win-win for nvidia if everything goes smoothly.

Extremely high risk-high payout tactic with emphasis on complete and over the top extreme market control, and extreme market perception manipulation.

Basically the staple of modern economics and management infused with parts of sun tzu's teaching, just invading a new market (nvidia, or third party economist/sales/management people must be really proud of themselves selves right now circle-patting each other on the back for breaking in a new market xD)

They better have had paid Micron and TSMC extra money cause they're the weakest link
    Post edited by 13lake on
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2016
    I also thought they would not be widely available at all until Q4 2016. Need another 4 months to show if thats right or not. I still definitely wouldn't pay more than $499 for the card. Just a waste of money as the card becomes more widely available.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    http://hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/founders_edition_early_adopters_paper_tax_for_20_minutes#.V0nXfUyEB10

UPDATE FROM NVIDIA - 3:47PM CDT:

Howdy, we shipped thousands of units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was in response to Hard OCP's sarcastic comment that only 36 cards would be available.  As there are several markups along the way, Nvidia is probably getting paid around $500 for each card that sells for $700 at retail.  So they made perhaps $1 million or a few million on GTX 1080s so far.

For comparison, Nvidia had over $5 billion in revenue last year, of which something like $4 billion is consumer graphics.  I'm not sure how many GTX 1080s they'll sell in the lifetime of the card, but it will probably be at least several hundred thousand and likely as high as a few million.  Remember that most cards are assembled by board partners who bear considerable expense in assembling cards themselves, and that doesn't count as Nvidia revenue.  Likewise, prices will eventually drop, so they could easily eventually get under $200 in revenue per GTX 1080 sold.

It's very highly probable that there will be days some months from now when thousands of GTX 1080s are sold in a single day.  To have shipped what may eventually be a less than a typical day's worth of inventory sales before launch does not make for a hard launch.

Furthermore, they said they "shipped" thousands of units.  They didn't say that thousands of units were received by retailers and put on shelves.  Cards that they've shipped to New Egg but are still physically in Taiwan at the moment can count toward that number.  It typically takes more than a month to ship cargo across the Pacific Ocean--which they have to, as the GPU chips are manufactured in Taiwan, and numerous board partners are based in that part of the world.

You can ship goods faster by having them flown, but that's more expensive.  There's a good chance that Nvidia is doing that for early inventory, as the difference between a $700 founders edition card and $600 for a later card exceeds the cost of sending cards by air.  But once they stop doing that, add a month delay for subsequent inventory.

Now, I have no doubt that Nvidia will continue shipping cards as they become available.  But if some tens or hundreds of cards show up at retail each day for a while, that's not going to keep them in stock at MSRP.  Eventually, they'll have the capacity to ship cards faster than people are willing to buy them, as any yield or capacity issues at TSMC and Micron clear up.  But we're not there yet, and probably won't be for quite some time.  There's certainly a shortage of GDDR5X at the moment, but it's not clear whether everything else would have been ready for a hard launch if not for GDDR5X shortages.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I HIGHLY suggest you get a nVidia card inspite of anything else with that monitor. Those particular panels, the 28" 4k 10-bit panels that are capable of 60 fps have a weird timing that AMD does not fully support. With a Nvidia GPU it will plug and play out of the box using a proper DisplayPort 1.2 cable.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Cleffy said:
    I also thought they would not be widely available at all until Q4 2016. Need another 4 months to show if thats right or not. I still definitely wouldn't pay more than $499 for the card. Just a waste of money as the card becomes more widely available.
    Thanks for the perspective. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    "Thousands" could, technically, mean 1001 units. And could include the pre-release cards shipped out for review.

I mean, maybe it was 999,999 - just a few shy of them being able to say Millions, but somehow I think it's on the lower end of that spectrum rather than the higher end.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Cleffy said:
    I HIGHLY suggest you get a nVidia card inspite of anything else with that monitor. Those particular panels, the 28" 4k 10-bit panels that are capable of 60 fps have a weird timing that AMD does not fully support. With a Nvidia GPU it will plug and play out of the box using a proper DisplayPort 1.2 cable.
    rofl, why are you lying?