Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the most evolutionary game you've ever played?

13»

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I guess for a really evolutionary title i'd have to go waaay back.
    IMO evolution and innovation lies rather back in the beginnings of videogaming, before clones and decades of "more of the same" became the norm.

Back then there was a first title for everything..first time 2D, first time 3D, eventually levels became worlds, a joystick with a single button got replaced by a gamepad because games required more input...and games as software constantly required better hardware. I think that is where evolution happened.
    When was the last time a game did something for the first time? I mean in terms of "evolution". In recent years, not so much i think -and software is for long limping behind what the hardware is capable of.

That's at least how i look at it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    I would say SWG, yet nothing followed it's approach, so it didn't lead to anything at all. 

I'd probably have to go way back to GTA3 or Shenmue, as games that led to a evolution in design.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited May 2016
    I actually did a research project and wrote an article about the origin of various concepts in pet-related games.  A few of the games mentioned by other posters earlier in the thread show up here (e.g. EVO the search for eden)

A HISTORY OF PET-RELATED GAMES
    by sunandshadow

Pet games, both online and off, have a long history that may surprise people who have only played more recent games. It surprised me! In fact, pet games are almost as old as personal computers and handheld computer devices.

PART 1: PET GAMES ON ATARI, COMMODORE, AND APPLE/APPLE II (1982-1989)

Evolution (1982 Sydney Development Corp.) was an arcade game where you played a creature climbing the evolutionary ladder: amoeba, frog, mouse, monkey, human. Gameplay consisted of eating some animal-appropriate type of food while avoiding predators. This game could be considered a direct ancestor of EVO and Spore.

Dino Eggs (1983 MicroFun) While not a pet game in pretty much any sense, Dino Eggs did contain a related dynamic of the main character finding and collecting dinosaur eggs, and the eggs hatching into baby dinosaurs, which the main character was rescuing because they were suffering from sickness.

Savage Pond (1983 Starcade/BugByte) was a C64 arcade game where the player's goal was to build up a colony of frogs, starting with a single tadpole who needed to eat different kinds of food while avoiding dangers. This game could be considered a conceptual forerunner of SimAnt, although the actual gameplay was a different genre.

Oh Deer (1983 MECC) was a decisionmaking simulator with the goal of managing a heard of whitetail deer near a city. It's debatable whether this kind of thing is a "game", but I suppose it could be considered either a turn-based strategy game or an interactive story game. There are currently some free online decision-making simulators like this, including one about breeding chinchillas, and some dating-sims and Princess Maker-type games.

Fishies (Cognetics 1984) A fish tank screensaver. It had minor interactivity: food could be added to the tank and the fish would swim to the top and eat it, though they did not actually have hunger meters or stats of any kind. This is a conceptual predecessor of desktop pets in general and fish tank sims such as the Aquazone series.

ChipWits (1984 BrainPower) ChipWits was a robot simulation game where the player designed programs for the computers' behavior; the robots acted as pets, and could easily be substituted for with animal pets in a similar concept. A simplified game of the same concept was included in the Tour Of The Apple IIGS program which was designed to teach new computers how to use their computer.

T.Rex (1984 Keron) The playable character was a T-Rex hunting herbivorous dinos. The tyrannosaurus had food, health, and energy meters. There were dozens of similar games where the player controlled an animal.  I chose T.Rex to represent this category because it was the most sim-like. I'll mention a few others though: Frogger is the most famous; I probably don't even have to tell you that this was a game about hopping your frog across highways and rivers without getting squished, getting eaten, or drowning. Crush, Crumble & Chomp! Allowed the player to be a movie monster attacking a city. Fish! was a text adventure game where (most of the time) the player character was a fish, investigating a mystery in a cartoony undersea world. There were also several games where the player controlled a human character riding a dragon or other mount, including Dragon Breed, Joust, and Dragonhawk.

Little Computer People (Activision 1985) Tied with the following entry for the title of "first true pet game", even though the pets are humans, not animals. For anyone familiar with The Sims, Little Computer People was the same type of game, though much more primitive: the player could act with a single "little computer person" living in a premade house. It contained two of the features found in many pet games today: the player could play a minigame (poker) with their little computer person, and the computer person could get hungry or sick requiring the player to feed or heal them. In the mid 1990s Steve Grand, the designer of the Creatures game series, originally pitched the game that would later be known as Creatures as "Little Computer Ewoks", explicitly referencing the game Little Computer People as one of the inspirations. Will Wright, designer of The Sims, has stated that he played Little Computer People and in the late 1990s he received valuable feedback on his design of The Sims from the designer of Little Computer People, Rich Gold.

Mail Order Monsters (1985 Electronic Arts) Tied with Little Computer People for earliest pet game is EA's first entry into the field: a game where players could create monsters with 5 base stats, a few extra traits like additional tentacles or a stinger, and purchased equipment, food, and other supplies such as ammo rounds. This game allowed two players to battle their monsters or play capture the flag.

Odell Lake (1986 MECC) (sequel: Odell Down Under) was game with a "food web" theme where the game assigned you to play one of 6 types of fish, and then you encountered items such as food and predators and had to decide whether to try to eat them, ignore them, or run away; different responses were appropriate depending on which type of fish you were playing.

Invisible Bugs (1989 MECC) I consider this the first breeding sim. Invisible Bugs was an educational game explicitly intended to teach Mendelian genetics. This is the first game I found record of with such a breeding system, especially in that the genetics were expressed in the appearances of bugs owned and protected by the player. The player was given two bugs to start with, and a target pattern against which the final population of bugs would need to be camouflaged to avoid being eaten by a spider. The same company had produced an earlier piece of software (1986) called Ties: Elementary Genetics which contained an insect genetic simulator called Chromy Bug, but it wasn't actually a game.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited May 2016
    Everquest 1. It was my first online game ('98). My head almost exploded when I realized this was a thing. :)

Joined - July 2004

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    DKLond said:
    Of all the games you've played in your life - which game would you pick as the one that took gaming forward the most, whether within the genre or overall?
    This question assumes an intimate knowledge of the industry, technology, and a historical grasp of the social landscape.  This is the type of question that shouldn't even be approached without multiple advanced degrees across broad fields.

...ask it on an anonymous internet web forum?

...sure... why not...

Honorable mentions first:

Vendetta Online, for being the first truly PC-based multiplatform experience available on mobile.  We're talking a twitch-combat MMORPG coming to Android in 2010-2011.  At the time, this was unheard of.  Logging in to a virtual world I had spent years and years in on my Mac, on my phone, was a 2001: Space Odyssey Monolith-moment.  Now, I could log on to a persistent experience, complete with a history, relationships to other players, etc., from literally anywhere.  It was (and still is) a game changer.

Super Mario Brothers (1985); one of the earliest video games that included a video game character and expansive world that met with broad success, available on home consoles.  Whimsical, but also pushed the envelope of what video games could be.  Here was a hero (Mario) on a quest (save the princess) within a landscape that went on and on across multiple environments (water, "tree-tops", underground) with ambient music to match the scene, and detailed rendering.  Compare this to, say, Donkey Kong or Galaga; excellent games in their own rights with places assured in history, but with scopes that don't come close.  Other "adventure games" of the previous generation might be titles like Sword Quest for the Atari 2600; ambitious in scope, but without the fidelity.

But the one that took gaming forward the most... for me and in my own subjective experience, was...

Super Mario 64 (1996); One of the first games I ever played that matched an arcade-level of responsiveness with an expansive 3D world.  Never mind that it belongs to a genre known as the "platformer"; this redefined what a video game could be, for me.  It was not only fun to play, it was a technological marvel.  The camera was intuitive and followed Mario around (rather than remaining in a fixed position) with some basic level of AI.  Exploring the world was a delight.  The music was excellent and did a lot to enhance the mood.  Not only was it a very good game, it made me realize that video games had the capacity to render worlds as polygons including physics, and it was an experience that stayed with me for a long time, sparking my imagination for what was to come in future years.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's gotta be the classic WoW.  Did it invent it, no, as many people point out, there were games out before with similar capabilities.  However, WoW put out a product that put these elements into such a package that it propelled it and the genre to unparalleled success.

I self identify as a monkey.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    This is the type of question that shouldn't even be approached without multiple advanced degrees across broad fields.

I see no reason to say that.  No disaster will happen if 'wrong' answers are given.  It's interesting to see other people's answers, knowing that they are subjective personal impressions.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    edited May 2016
    This is the type of question that shouldn't even be approached without multiple advanced degrees across broad fields.

I see no reason to say that.  No disaster will happen if 'wrong' answers are given.  It's interesting to see other people's answers, knowing that they are subjective personal impressions.
    I agree.

I just think it's kind of comical to ask "[what game] took gaming forward the most".  It's a sort of 'intellectual Everest' in disguise.

This is not to say that questions like these shouldn't be approached, or can't have some lighthearted discussions surrounding them that are also productive, but if I were to seriously try and answer this, for a multi-billion-dollar industry, it would take years and years of research.

I agree that it's interesting to see other people's answers.

edit: if I were going to broach the topic, I would have asked something like "what game changed your perspective on gaming the most"?  I guess there's a camouflaged fallacy in the way the question is phrased, but it could be a facet of first vs second languages: there is the assumption in the question that a game respondents have played took the genre forward more than any other title.

In order to answer this, one would have to have total knowledge of any given title's effect on the overall industry: technologically, socially, historically...

Even if I could pick out one game from my subjective experience, and compare it to all other games I've played, how could I be sure that I have the appropriate background to hold it up and say 'yes, this game evolved gaming more than any other title I've played'.  How can I be sure any other poster here has the background?  And yet, the question is posed.  It's a Kafkian epistemological comedy-horror.

I find it on this site a lot; perhaps it's due to the nature of MMORPGs, but we are often talking about "the best", "the most", "the first" or even "the only", as though having comprehensive knowledge on a truly expansive field.

I guess the point of all this is to take things with a grain of salt, which perhaps is assumed, anyway...
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited May 2016
    These will cover 80% of evolutionary games... as in first to do something

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I'm going to go way off here.  Not my favourites but what I think affected things going forward

Offline: Ultima IV - typing responses and having to follow dialogue and make moral choices.

Online: The Realm  - Sierra took an online game and made it an online social game that actually worked without freezing the game to take turns (like the original Neverwinter and Darksun Onilne)  I left it for UO

As far as more current games

Offline: Deus Ex (original)

Online: Fallen Earth - character development, skill points assigned at levels, huge open world and proof for me that ONE DAY. . a western MMO could work.

I do agree mostly with everyone else as well.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

I agree.

I just think it's kind of comical to ask "[what game] took gaming forward the most".  It's a sort of 'intellectual Everest' in disguise.

This is not to say that questions like these shouldn't be approached, or can't have some lighthearted discussions surrounding them that are also productive, but if I were to seriously try and answer this, for a multi-billion-dollar industry, it would take years and years of research.

I agree that it's interesting to see other people's answers.

edit: if I were going to broach the topic, I would have asked something like "what game changed your perspective on gaming the most"?  I guess there's a camouflaged fallacy in the way the question is phrased, but it could be a facet of first vs second languages.  I find it on this site a lot; perhaps it's due to the nature of MMORPGs, but we are often talking about "the best", "the most", "the first" or even "the only", as though having comprehensive knowledge on a truly expansive field.

I guess the point of all this is to take things with a grain of salt, which perhaps is assumed, anyway...
    It does specify "that you have ever played".  I don't consider MMORPG.com to be my source of brain food :)  For me the value in the thread is maybe finding a game to try out that I missed at some point.

I do agree with the click-bait titles though.  Sadly I see those now in major news story headlines and then the actual content does not reflect the title.  I think, in this case, it does inspire a bit more discussion though.

DMKano said:
    Spore ;)

Really?  Maybe I didn't give that one enough of a chance.   I can't tell because the winky face makes me think there is more to that answer :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited May 2016
    SWG
    Planetside
    Morrowind
    Red Dead Redemption

Each one of those games managed to keep me immersed for many, many hours.  They also gave me a lot of freedom to express myself with the types of gameplay mechanics that matter to me most.  Also they each brought something evolutionary to the table as far as I am concerned. Such as:

1) SWG bringing a living, breathing Star Wars game to life with a lot of freedom in a scale I haven't seen before then. 
    2) Planetside for bringing massive, persistent, three way, sci-fi, combined arms warefare.  Which to me was head and shoulders above the current deathmatch fps's at the time.
    3) Morrowind for showing me a singleplayer game can have a massive 3D world
    4) RDR for putting the GTA formula to a spaghetti western themed game.  Who would have thunk it?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    League of Legends
    Aethaeryn said:

It does specify "that you have ever played".
    That's exactly why this thread is so successful; there's an added layer of subtlety, but the fallacy is still there.  I tried to address this in the edit to my post after you quoted me:

Even if I picked out a game from my subjective experience and compared it to all other games that I, subjectively, experienced, the question still asks what is the "most evolutionary game", which assumes complete knowledge of the medium as it relates to any given title.  It could be a language thing, for some reason it just tickles my funny bone, partially because this is the type of question I would like to see answered in a post-grad classroom, I believe it can be answered, and there are probably some here that hold a certain level of qualification for approaching this question, but there isn't really any way of knowing on an open web forum.

I guess it's due to having a philosophy major for a dad combined with an avid love of video games as an art form (see what I did there?).

The way the question is phrased subtly primes the resulting discussion for existential comedy, in my opinion.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited May 2016
    WoW - without a shadow of a doubt. The period 2004 - 2009 was a golden age. WoW was in the mainstream news regularly.

Some people on this thread say EVE. I totally disagree with this. If EVE had maintained its 2004 vision, i.e.- to be the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG, I might agree: maybe EVE might have gained enough popularity to no longer be considered 'niche'. However, CCP changed this vision in 2009 (after failing to implement 'Walking in Stations') to something far more mundane.

Elite Dangerous, and maybe Star Citizen, are taking EVE's original vision forward, but it's very early days. Sci-fi MMORPGs are still relatively 'niche'.

Most people have heard about WoW and have an opinion about it.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    After thinking for a few minutes, I guess I would say Grand Theft Auto 3. Everyone at the time was just amazed with the gameplay and world. Hell, GTA5 is basically the same game.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Everquest pre luclin, without it nothing that has came since would exist MMoRPG wise, but I also believe that the games that have come since using the EQ format have all missed what made it so good.

Godz of War I call Thee

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu. It's ahead of its time.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    bcbully said:
    Age of Wushu. It's ahead of its time.
    That terrible asian grinder? Ugh....
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    adjective
    1. pertaining to evolution or development; developmental:

Probably Darkfall because it was the first game to do several things for me.. and they added a bunch of content while I was playing that drastically changed everything too and it always felt like it was in development.

Biggest seamless world

Largest PVP battlegrounds

Mobs were able to level up and become stronger and could be controlled by a GM

Mounted combat

Naval combat

More skills/spells than my keyboard could handle, and a huge grind which made developing a character quite evolutionary

Hardest game that I have ever played (well the original one at least)

Adrenaline rush like no other game has ever provided because of no safe zones, the FPS combat and full-loot PVP

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited June 2016
    Oregon Trail redefined gaming.

Honorable mentions:

Half-Life for introducing narrative driven gameplay to the FPS genre.
    The Realm and Meridian59 for creating the first real MMOs
    Dune II for creating the framework for the next 3 decades of RTS games