Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Xbox One Will Run Faster Than PS4 Neo !

SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
And so it begins... :D 

Sony have apparently caught Microsoft with their pants around their ankles. The upgraded Playstation consoles will supposedly be ready for launch (October) well before Microsoft can have a counter-console ready for sale. This adds insult to injury, seeing as XBone has already been lagging against the PS4 sales.

So MS seem to be fighting back desperately with everything they can muster, including anonymous "insider" leaks that claim the new XBox will be significantly better than the coming PS4 Neo !

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-xbox-one-will-run-faster-than-ps4-neo-report-c/1100-6440193/

E3 is going to be interesting...

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    you guys have fun with your console wars.

I remain with the view that neither one of them would be doing this is if wasnt because of what is happening in the PC space, not least of which VR

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:

I remain with the view that neither one of them would be doing this is if wasnt because of what is happening in the PC space, not least of which VR
    I'm a card-carrying member of the "PC master-race" ! :D 

But I've noticed that the "console wars" are starting to have the potential to affect my PC gaming, so I'm watching with great interest and considerable trepidation.

Microsoft are attempting to win the console wars by using Windows as their weapon-of-mass-destruction (via UWP). That's going to affect PC gaming as well.

Microsoft have also been mumbling about a possible shift to "modular and upgradeable consoles", which is just another way of saying "budget gaming-PC with a Microsoft logo". Naturally, they will try to force all game developers to make their games playable on whatever hardware configuration MS chooses...
    SEANMCAD said:

I'm a card-carrying member of the "PC master-race" ! :D 

But I've noticed that the "console wars" are starting to have the potential to affect my PC gaming, so I'm watching with great interest and considerable trepidation.

Microsoft are attempting to win the console wars by using Windows as their weapon-of-mass-destruction (via UWP). That's going to affect PC gaming as well.

Microsoft have also been mumbling about a possible shift to "modular and upgradeable consoles", which is just another way of saying "budget gaming-PC with a Microsoft logo". Naturally, they will try to force all game developers to make their games playable on whatever hardware configuration MS chooses...
    my take on the effects on the PC world is this

1. UWP is going to be irrelevant fairly soon because developers will not want to use it anyway.
    2. if BOTH consoles are upgrading then it means the day of so called AAA games not pushing the limits are over.
    3. As a PC gamer it doesnt matter which turns out the most popular, them both upgrading however is a win.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2016
    Nice downplay. 

"Polygon have since shared information that Xbox Scorpio will have approximately 6 Tflops vs. PS4 Neo's 4.2 estimated Tflops"

Scorpio here I come. 
  • FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Why are Sony Ponies so desperate?  Hey way to go you guys have sold more consoles apparently that's not good enough and you need to try and justify what console your mom bought you.   The only desperation I see is in the OP.
    edited May 2016
    DMKano said:

Sony have apparently caught Microsoft with their pants around their ankles. The upgraded Playstation consoles will supposedly be ready for launch (October) well before Microsoft can have a counter-console ready for sale. This adds insult to injury, seeing as XBone has already been lagging against the PS4 sales.

So MS seem to be fighting back desperately with everything they can muster, including anonymous "insider" leaks that claim the new XBox will be significantly better than the coming PS4 Neo !

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-xbox-one-will-run-faster-than-ps4-neo-report-c/1100-6440193/

With less and less companies attending e3 every year, Microsoft and Sony will be all that is left 
    Well if Sony doesn't stop losing BILLIONS every year they may not be around too much longer. 

To be fair they did less than a billion in 2015...after selling off a bunch of divisions. 
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

With less and less companies attending e3 every year, Microsoft and Sony will be all that is left 
    Well if Sony doesn't stop losing BILLIONS every year they may not be around too much longer. 

To be fair they did less than a billion in 2015...after selling off a bunch of divisions. 
    well to be fair again MS gaming side of its business is not as large as its enterprise, cloud, windows, office, sharepoint, SQL server etc.
    I found some numbers that I THINK are what i am understanding
    Xbox division $1.62 billion, rest of MS...$17.41 billion

SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

well to be fair again MS gaming side of its business is not as large as its enterprise, cloud, windows, office, sharepoint, SQL server etc.
    Not sure on your numbers but if I had to choose between being a division that's in the middle of a company that makes money or the top division of a company that loses billions a year I'd take the middle one...
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

Not sure on your numbers but if I had to choose between being a division that's in the middle of a company that makes money or the top division of a company that loses billions a year I'd take the middle one...
    ok as a programmer myself who interacts daily with Windows, SQL Server, Visual Studio, .Net, Office Products creating apps that are on servers runing with Windows Server products and in meetings talking about if we should go to SharePoint, the idea that MS profits and its gaming division are related to the point where game quality  is affects sounds asinine to me.

MS could loose their entire Enterprise business and its not related at all to its gaming division.

SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

ok as a programmer myself who interacts daily with Windows, SQL Server, Visual Studio, .Net, Office Products creating apps that are on servers runing with Windows Server products and in meetings talking about if we should go to SharePoint, the idea that MS profits and its gaming division are related to the point where game quality  is affects sounds asinine to me.

MS could loose their entire Enterprise business and its not related at all to its gaming division.

Yeah that had zero to do with my point...in my experience claiming you are something or what you do for a living on the Internet usually isn't a good way to try and prove a point.  

Btw I'm writing this from the international space station.  
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

Yeah that had zero to do with my point...in my experience claiming you are something or what you do for a living on the Internet usually isn't a good way to try and prove a point.  

actually the irrevelance of my example as a developer does not change my point at all.

This is not really up for debate.
    Microsoft, like Sony has a metric fuck ton of businesses not remotely related to gaming and evaluating the health of either of those companies in the gaming space by looking at their overall business is stupid. peroid

SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

actually the irrevelance of my example as a developer does not change my point at all.

Microsoft, like Sony has a metric fuck ton of businesses not remotely related to gaming and evaluating the health of either of those companies in the gaming space by looking at their overall business is stupid. peroid
    Really? So you get to decide what is debatable? So what you are saying is the sale of SOE had nothing to do with the health of Sony? 
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

Really? So you get to decide what is debatable? So what you are saying is the sale of SOE had nothing to do with the health of Sony? 
    you know exactly what I am saying and why you want to twist it is beyond me. Feel free to continue to look at Sony and Microsofts overall economic health as an indicator of their gaming strength all you want,. In fact I kind of encourage you do it, its funny to watch

But I am not talking about it anymore

HERE
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/15/xbox-not-a-core-part-of-microsofts-business-ceo-says/#48ed6c614480

Xbox Not A 'Core' Part Of Microsoft's Business CEO Says

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

you know exactly what I am saying and why you want to twist it is beyond me. Feel free to continue to look at Sony and Microsofts overall economic health as an indicator of their gaming strength all you want,. In fact I kind of encourage you do it, its funny to watch

HERE
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/15/xbox-not-a-core-part-of-microsofts-business-ceo-says/#48ed6c614480

Yeah you really shouldn't talk about it anymore because you still are not talking about what I said.  I never mentioned gaming division I just said division.  You then proceeded to go off the deep end about how the health of a company doesn't impact the gaming division then I asked about SOE and then you replied again with something that had nothing to do with the conversation. 

Funny to watch?  Well is scary watching you post random things then complain about your blood pressure...  You really Shouldn't get that worked up.
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

HERE

Yeah you really shouldn't talk about it anymore because you still are not talking about what I said.  I never mentioned gaming division I just said division.  You then proceeded to go off the deep end about how the health of a company doesn't impact the gaming division then I asked about SOE and then you replied again with something that had nothing to do with the conversation. 

Funny to watch?  Well is scary watching you post random things then complain about your blood pressure...  You really Shouldn't get that worked up.
    if you want to think Sonys PS4 is doing well because of reported earnings of the entire company you have the freedom do that, its just idiotic. Same is true for Microsoft.

If you like I can just make this a standard answer to every question you ask me on this subject until I read a question that might actually change the validity of the statement. would that work for you?

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    FFFG said:
    DMKano said:

HERE

if you want to think Sonys PS4 is doing well because of reported earnings of the entire company you have the freedom do that, its just idiotic. Same is true for Microsoft.

If you like I can just make this a standard answer to every question you ask me on this subject until I read a question that might actually change the validity of the statement. would that work for you?
    Yeah again not even the topic but it's amazing how you can try and switch the topics once you are wrong which apparently happens a lot or maybe today is just a bad day for you.  Either way I don't want to be the reason you drop dead with your high blood pressure as I could correct you with ease all day and I'm sure you have topics ready on a spreadsheet somewhere EVERYTIME you get put in your place.  So bud from the international space station you are my first ignore congrats and go take your meds.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    These Gaming giants have yet to produce a actual product. whos to say Sony or Xbox is showing/leaking the correct specs.  you know as well as I do they will make very very very similar systems. sony ps4 was just a very small tiny bit better than xbox 360. so we shall see the next round how things go.
    These Gaming giants have yet to produce a actual product. whos to say Sony or Xbox is showing/leaking the correct specs.  you know as well as I do they will make very very very similar systems. sony ps4 was just a very small tiny bit better than xbox 360. so we shall see the next round how things go.
    I am 99.999% sure the real reason behind these upgrades is because of VR, because it sure isnt because of ARMA 3 or Star Citizen

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    You're also extra sure that it takes an AAA budget to have the media campaign that No Man's Sky has so... Oh and there's the whole not knowing why somebody would want to have a keyboard and mouse on console thing too...
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Upgrading the power in consoles. Ok, but it doesn't change the older games, and the newer ones might not go for it due to the possible lack of compatibility with the standard models. This is a lets wait and see situation for both platforms imo. After all, it's the games that matter, not the cpu. (Unless you're a programmer for it, which the vast majority of gamers are not.)

Companies desperate? Maybe, but I agree that it's probably to try and catch the current VR wave/hype, and to try and woo more customers by claiming new spiffy ultra deluxe model. 

The game divisions are only a lesser segment of both companies, but actually, the overall health of the company does affect those divisions. And yes, if the company gets desperate, it may sell off that division, since they both claim it's not a core division, and profitable divisions tend to sell for a LOT more than the moneysinks. I've heard it referred to as 'Pairing Down to your Core Competencies'.  Companies have done it before, and I've specifically seen Sony do it as well. 
    Anyhow, the point is that if the company is shaky, they will be issuing internal edicts to the game division to stop trying risky things, pull back the expenses, and concentrate on what will make us more money. (I doubt either of those two companies will go for the pie in the sky go for broke ideas.) 

Overall I see this whole move as both marketing one-upsmanship, and an attempt to extend the relative lifecycle of the platform before needing a complete refresh. Let's see how it plays out.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

edited May 2016
    You're also extra sure that it takes an AAA budget to have the media campaign that No Man's Sky has so... Oh and there's the whole not knowing why somebody would want to have a keyboard and mouse on console thing too...
    lol...this statement is actually hysterical. avoiding news and hype on all available channels for No Mans Sky is like trying to avoid Prince News. Its one of the biggest marketing projects I have seen even for any game game let alone AAA which of course all happened by 'word of mouth' based on zero game play and  a video of a space ship flying around a planet'...lol

ok well sorry back on topic.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Ok im getting off topic but doesn't No Mans Sky look boring? i'll wait for reviews for that game im in no hurry. I have fallout 4 to finish, Witcher 3, BDO to try for 7 days if I can get it working, Elite Dangerous for my space bug. and lets not forget Ultima Online the second Age that I'm playing on a private server :)
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Ok im getting off topic but doesn't No Mans Sky look boring? i'll wait for reviews for that game im in no hurry. I have fallout 4 to finish, Witcher 3, BDO to try for 7 days if I can get it working, Elite Dangerous for my space bug. and lets not forget Ultima Online the second Age that I'm playing on a private server :)
    It is a little off topic..  I think NMS could be really cool... it all depends on what things you can do aside from.. just exploration.   A never ending universe to explore is a great idea... but what good is an exploration adventure if the findings are meaningless? 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited May 2016
    People are blowing this way out of proportion.

The only reason why Sony is releasing PS4 Neo, is for their VR headset. As extra bonus they drop in 4K output support, so people can watch movies in 4K on their 4K TV's.

That's it! There is nothing more to it! Developers still need to develop their games for the regular PS4 and are not allowed to develop for the PS4 Neo only, unless it's PS-VR game.

So I don't see anywhere nor any reason why you think Microsoft has been caught with their pants down, as they don't have a VR headset (nor one in the works. Hololens is very expensive Enterprise bussiness peripheral).
    They also knew for a very long time that Sony was going to release a VR headset this year that required extra power the current PS4 doesn't have.

So there is absolutely no suprise that Sony is coming out with PS4 Neo at all! Everyone and their grandmother saw it coming.

And if Microsoft is really going to release a new XBOX One this year that is almost twice as powerful as the current one (as that article states), then the backlash from the XBOX community is going to be severe!

All hell will break loose for sure! It's not going to be pretty.

As what in Earth are they expecting to do with a twice as powerful XBOX One? Unless they offer free trade-ins for current XBOX One owners lol. /shrug
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    JeroKane said:
    People are blowing this way out of proportion.

The only reason why Sony is releasing PS4 Neo, is for their VR headset. As extra bonus they drop in 4K output support, so people can watch movies in 4K on their 4K TV's.

That's it! There is nothing more to it! Developers still need to develop their games for the regular PS4 and are not allowed to develop for the PS4 Neo only, unless it's PS-VR game.

So I don't see anywhere nor any reason why you think Microsoft has been caught with their pants down, as they don't have a VR headset (nor one in the works. Hololens is very expensive Enterprise bussiness peripheral).
    They also knew for a very long time that Sony was going to release a VR headset this year that required extra power the current PS4 doesn't have.

So there is absolutely no suprise that Sony is coming out with PS4 Neo at all! Everyone and their grandmother saw it coming.

And if Microsoft is really going to release a new XBOX One this year that is almost twice as powerful as the current one (as that article states), then the backlash from the XBOX community is going to be severe!

All hell will break loose for sure! It's not going to be pretty.

As what in Earth are they expecting to do with a twice as powerful XBOX One? Unless they offer free trade-ins for current XBOX One owners lol. /shrug
    Hololens is not an Enterprize Business Peripheral, it actually hasn't released to anyone apart from developers.

PS-VR will work on the current generation of PS4's despite some possible performance issues.  I have not read anywhere where it says that PS4 developers CAN build VR games for ONLY the Neo.

Xbox is transitioning into a new business model regarding their Xbox Hardware, they mentioned that months ago.  They will utilize it alongside their windows store as that transitions into an app store built for devices instead of operating systems, with cross compatibility. 

Of course that includes support for VR devices as well as 4K, likely keyboard support and expanded items as well.  Listening to Microsoft talk about the new windows store it actually makes sense. Microsoft will likely do something regarding current XB1 trade ins as well as they did with the 360 before it.