Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft : First Movie Reviews - A Mixed Bag So Far

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I don't understand how this is a surprise to anyone. Video games and movies rarely mix.
  • z3ro111z3ro111 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    They should just announce that the movie was an open beta version.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    SBFord said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    Thupli said:
    Hollywood reviewers are reviewing this, not mmorpg players. Don't expect a pass or glowing review just because it spawned from a game.
    The butchering of the lore will make those players who care about and like that aspect of the games cringe. It's pretty awful what they've done compounded by the fact that Metzen himself signed off on it. Blergh.

Again, I'll still see it but not as "Warcraft", but as generic fantasy movie #65.

Well if the movie disappoints hardcore WoW fans due to botched lore, and your average Joe who doesn't know anything about WoW lore is not the target audience either,I have to ask

Who was this movie made for exactly?

Honestly, I can't swear that most players give a darn about lore. I happen to care about it and have read all quests and most outside books, manga, short stories, etc. Even saying that, however, even casual players will know that Garona is Medivh's lover, not Lothar's -- it's embedded in even the Warlords of Draenor storyline that she is the mother of a child produced in that relationship. And, seriously, that's just the beginning. :/
    That's disheartening to hear. I just signed back up for WoW and decided to give it another go. I stopped playing in vanilla and have been enjoying the game/lore. I have been reading everything. Slow but worth it. Although some of it is a bit of a mess. Learned about Garrosh Hellscream and how he is the current leader of the Horde, only to find his grave shortly after? Certain zones are entirely different and I have no idea why. I know it's from the 'Cataclysm' but I have no idea what that means. A bunch of inconsistencies but it's still enjoyable so far.

As for the movie, I will still see it eventually. Especially since I very rarely agree with critics. I can usually tell if I will hate a movie if I know critics are in love with it. Thanks for the heads up though so I can go into it with an open mind instead of taking it as another piece of concrete Warcraft lore. I love campy fantasy movies though so I will probably enjoy it. Hell I liked the Dungeons & Dragons movie and it's universally panned.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Movie reviewers. What can I say? Pretentious, uptight idiots would be a fair description I think. Movie reviewers are useless in my opinion. They always downplay action and fantasy films, the typical big, summer blockbusters. 
    No, not really. The very same "pretentious, uptight idiots" gave the 2014 summer blockbuster Guardians of the galaxy a RT score of 91% and Mad Max got a 97% last year. Why? Because they were damn good films.

If you'd said that about Oscar nominations, I'd be inclined to agree, Hollywood politics being what they are, but aggregate critic review sites like RT get it right much more often than not.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Why not just do the whole movie like the games cinematics and stick to the lore. Only 2 complaints. Still a good movie though if you know nothing abot Warcraft.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Iselin said:
    Movie reviewers. What can I say? Pretentious, uptight idiots would be a fair description I think. Movie reviewers are useless in my opinion. They always downplay action and fantasy films, the typical big, summer blockbusters. 
    No, not really. The very same "pretentious, uptight idiots" gave the 2014 summer blockbuster Guardians of the galaxy a RT score of 91% and Mad Max got a 97% last year. Why? Because they were damn good films.

If you'd said that about Oscar nominations, I'd be inclined to agree, Hollywood politics being what they are, but aggregate critic review sites like RT get it right much more often than not.
    Moreover, some of those low reviews like Superman v Batman were, from a critical point of view, fair. That doesn't mean such movies are unworthy of watching or paying for.

I don't know about the rest of you but personally many of my favourite movies I would say are technically quite flawed and yet somehow greatly enjoyable.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    SBFord said:
    From Kotaku's review (http://kotaku.com/the-warcraft-movie-is-not-good-1778550679)

Rather than tapping into the goofy core that makes a game like World of Warcraft interesting, the Warcraft movie aims for grittiness, missing the mark quite a bit. It just doesn’t work. The lore is too campy. This is a world where a mage’s most popular spell transforms his enemies into sheep, yet Warcraft acts as if it’s a green-screen version of Game of Thrones. At my theater, the biggest laughs came not from the occasional bouts of slapstick comedy but from the miserable archmages of Dalaran, whose CGI-enhanced eyes look especially absurd when you’re supposed to take them seriously.
    Yeah but "that's the thing", it's the goofiness in the game that keeps me from playing it. I just can't stand it.

So this reviewer finds the making of the movie in a serious vein a bad thing and I find it a relief.

Though, in truth, being humorless is bad as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I don't care... Blizzard is the best company in the world and WOW is the best game in the world and Warcraft is the best movie in the world.  Stop making me think about that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited May 2016
    rarely care about review about anything, my taste are my taste and i can judge by myself if im going enjoy something or not, unless we talk about hardware or something more special, the review about games and movie are all about taste and who know if this ''reviewer'' got the same that me ??!!! .

i have play games with realy good review and realy hated them, and played game with realy bad review and enjoyed them !! same for movie.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    You can't spin gold from garbage I'm afraid.

Warcraft as a franchise has always thrived from its gameplay above all other things. The story, the "lore" has always been garbage, so when you make a movie which is ONLY story, it's not going to be much of a surprise that it's garbage.

If you didn't see this coming, your head is in the sand.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    To compare any movie to Battlefield Earth, is like the kiss of death.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly I expected it to be at best a mediocre film with just enough brainless fun that it would be worth a watch. Will say so far I'm not surprised with the view on it and it probably is entertaining enough to maybe watch once.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Purutzil said:
    Honestly I expected it to be at best a mediocre film with just enough brainless fun that it would be worth a watch. Will say so far I'm not surprised with the view on it and it probably is entertaining enough to maybe watch once.
    That's my take away. I'd also have to agree with Sovrath above, I'll take a serious approach over "Wizards turning folks into farm animals" any day of the week. Regardless of what that lore is meant to represent.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited May 2016
    I figured it would be. Still gonna see it. Much like the game this movie isnt made to be very "complicated." Its made to impress audiences with its special effects and action sequences while keeping silly things like intriguing plots and characters to a minimum. Thats what im going in expecting, not the next Lord of the Rings... ill probably enjoy it more.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    From Kotaku's review (http://kotaku.com/the-warcraft-movie-is-not-good-1778550679)

Rather than tapping into the goofy core that makes a game like World of Warcraft interesting, the Warcraft movie aims for grittiness, missing the mark quite a bit. It just doesn’t work. The lore is too campy. This is a world where a mage’s most popular spell transforms his enemies into sheep, yet Warcraft acts as if it’s a green-screen version of Game of Thrones. At my theater, the biggest laughs came not from the occasional bouts of slapstick comedy but from the miserable archmages of Dalaran, whose CGI-enhanced eyes look especially absurd when you’re supposed to take them seriously.
    Yeah but "that's the thing", it's the goofiness in the game that keeps me from playing it. I just can't stand it.
    Wait, you don't find the numerous "dig in poo" quests funny??

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Aeolyn said:
    Aeolyn said:
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

I believe it would matter to anyone who has followed the lore or played the game, if it doesn't fall in line with either of those then Blizz will have not just shot themselves in the foot.
    From my experience in WoW I don't think many people play WoW with lore in mind as a priority.

People play WoW to max level as quickly as possible, get geared up, so they can show off their gears or gank folks. Lore only got interesting after they got bored of the above.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    In all fairness though.  Someone criticized the way wizard's eyes looked and I wonder if he is speaking from experience.  Battlefield Earth was a good movie.  I do believe the critics are being too harsh perhaps because it is based on a game and they are too embarrassed to admit they once played it.  But this is just a theory since not many open minded people have watched it yet.  Just to note they gave mad max a high score and yet what exactly was that story?  It was action packed crazy movie for sure but story was bleh.  I just think they are probably being too harsh considering what they have called good movies in the past.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Well that settles it for me. Just about anything the critics hate I love. If I see good reviews from critics I don't waste my time on the crap. So I guess I will love the movie, even if I am not so fond of the mix of CGI with real action. Wish it had been totally CGI from the in house guys.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    alas, not too much of a surprise. I was expecting the worse.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well since most movie critics are idiots, must be a great film.  Just look at the past few years at what was up for awards at the oscars.   I think most of the critics don't grasp that people go to movies to be entertained.  You can pick apart any movie if that is your thing, but where is the enjoyment in that unless you have a twisted mind.  Spotlight put me to sleep and I could not even finish The Room and Brooklyn.  All three had zero entertainment value for me and were lauded by the critics.  Granted some people liked them, but since box office for those films was miniscule, it fairly supports my contention.

I'll wait and make my own judgement, I could care less if it follows the lore, just hope it is entertaining.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    filmoret said:
    In all fairness though.  Someone criticized the way wizard's eyes looked and I wonder if he is speaking from experience.  Battlefield Earth was a good movie.  I do believe the critics are being too harsh perhaps because it is based on a game and they are too embarrassed to admit they once played it.  But this is just a theory since not many open minded people have watched it yet.  Just to note they gave mad max a high score and yet what exactly was that story?  It was action packed crazy movie for sure but story was bleh.  I just think they are probably being too harsh considering what they have called good movies in the past.
    When I finished reading that review I noticed "From Kotaku" below it and assigned a relevance rating of zero to it. 

That said the first two are pretty damning.  It's one thing saying it's bad for a movie, it's another thing to say it's bad for a video game movie which are usually terrible. 
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited May 2016
    Aeolyn said:
    Aeolyn said:
    I'd like to know if these reviews are comparing the movie to the lore/books or the online game... or based solely on what in their personal view a fantasy warcraft movie should be?

Does it matter?  A crap movie is a crap movie.  If you have to be familiar with wow's goofy lore to see the movie then they kinda failed at making a good movie didn't they?

I believe it would matter to anyone who has followed the lore or played the game, if it doesn't fall in line with either of those then Blizz will have not just shot themselves in the foot.
    From my experience in WoW I don't think many people play WoW with lore in mind as a priority.

People play WoW to max level as quickly as possible, get geared up, so they can show off their gears or gank folks. Lore only got interesting after they got bored of the above.
    Not everyone plays for those reasons.... I don't.

I like to have an open world I can explore and live in at my pace that allows me to encounter different races and their environments in it that gives me the means to do so(knowledge, gathering mats, crafting, taming, etc) all following a story line that gives the world and its inhabitants relevance. 

That doesn't mean just ez mode game play where you never encounter danger and blithely flit through dark underground passages or sail carefree across oceans to reach other continents.  Interacting with different races and environments all come with inherent dangers that a character would need to become educated about and prepare for, whether it be by skilling up so you have the right equipment to protect yourself and possible companions from wild beasts or enemy factions, or by gathering enough resources for sustenance, shelter or even for trade to open up shorter or safer routes.

I recall the first time my low level(14 iirc) night elf, before TBC(back when you had to be level 40 or 50 to even get apprentice riding), tried to cross through enemy lands to get to Ratchet so I could gather some recipes for armour that I couldn't afford to just buy from the auction house.  Anyway, a higher level orc warrior spotted me as I tried to stealth my way to the Barrens and instead of killing me right then and there, waited until I got all the way to just before the border just because it obviously amused him.  I ended up rezzing just outside at what I later learned was Warsong Gulch(Crossroads would have been so much better...and what I was hoping for if I was going to get killed on my journey), talk about lost, I didn't even have the map opened enough to see which way to go and ended up having to recall all the way back to Shadowglen because I had forgotten to change my save point to Darnassus let alone Auberdine. :/

Point is, some of us actually enjoy the journey more than the endgame.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    reeereee said:
    When I finished reading that review I noticed "From Kotaku" below it and assigned a relevance rating of zero to it. 

That said the first two are pretty damning.  It's one thing saying it's bad for a movie, it's another thing to say it's bad for a video game movie which are usually terrible. 
    I have to agree with you there.  Kotaku died as a quality site ages ago.  I quit visiting them long, long ago.  It's just garbage nowadays.

Still, an overwhelming consensus deriding something is usually a sign.

I really don't think anybody is surprised by what we are hearing.  There were so many clues/signs working against the film.  Not the least of which being the time it took to keep a director/script and actually make the film.  Haven't they been trying to make that movie for like 8 years?

Still, when it comes to DVD, I'll check it out and just remind myself, if needed, that "Hey, it could be worse.  You could be sitting through Episode 7 again."
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    oh shit. the storm comes

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    SBFord said:
    Aeolyn said:
    My guess would be that these reviewers have little or no knowledge of lore. Based on what I've seen, however, they lore is utterly butchered in the movie -- I mean Garona and Lothar? O.o She was Medivh's lover. And that's just the beginning.
    wait wtf?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design