Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Relentless Legion - World of Warcraft Column

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe Relentless Legion - World of Warcraft Column

The Legion is coming, and it is relentless. No matter how many times they are driven back, the Fel Armies will not cease marching until all of Azeroth is consumed. No matter the defeats they suffer, the demonic swarm continues unyielding. They will probe and pursue any weakness or treachery in single-minded pursuit of a corrupting end.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    The phasing issues in Dalaran left asside, I find what they've got so far bland. Some classes and their quests have a really farfetched tie with the lore and look very uninspired. The questing experience is poor at best. Artifact talents won't matter since you'll get them all in the end. Class orders do feel like garrisons 2.0 .

All in all i look forward to playing other themepark mmo's more than WoW. Which in my opinion is pretty sad, considering WoW should be the king of themeparks.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited May 2016
    Well "Themepark" is a very broad term. While most Themeparks do actually feel like clones to WoW (better than the original these days), they are still that, clones.

However in the last few years we actually started getting "Themepark" MMOs, which feel completely different from WoW. You'd think they are in a completely different genre.

MMOs began improving the RPG aspect, which WoW was always lacking. They focused on making world feel more alive, immersive, and worthwhile visiting, rather than grinding through all the copy-pasted assets and recycled bosses (which apparently even keep coming back), and then grinding the same things at the endgame over and over again, like in an ultimate version of a dungeon crawler.

Let's be honest here, Raiding concept is dying out. Other MMOs offer now by far a better SP experience than WoW ever did. Whoever thinks that MMOs revolving around grouping will survive and thrive, couldn't be any more wrong. The average gamer today doesn't want to bother interacting with other players. They want a huge world (SP RPGs don't offer that yet or they would have killed the MMO genre years ago), which they can explore at their own pace.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

josko9 said:

Let's be honest here, Raiding concept is dying out. Other MMOs offer now by far a better SP experience than WoW ever did. Whoever thinks that MMOs revolving around grouping will survive and thrive, couldn't be any more wrong. The average gamer today doesn't want to bother interacting with other players. They want a huge world (SP RPGs don't offer that yet or they would have killed the MMO genre years ago), which they can explore at their own pace.

It is as if the players are the ones walking backward, not the genre. Looking at how BDO is being celebrated by "veterna' mmorpg players, i agree with you, players now just want a glorified single player game with "mmo" attached to it's name.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    edited May 2016

josko9 said:

Well "Themepark" is a very broad term. While most Themeparks do actually feel like clones to WoW (better than the original these days), they are still that, clones.

However in the last few years we actually started getting "Themepark" MMOs, which feel completely different from WoW. You'd think they are in a completely different genre.

MMOs began improving the RPG aspect, which WoW was always lacking. They focused on making world feel more alive, immersive, and worthwhile visiting, rather than grinding through all the copy-pasted assets and recycled bosses (which apparently even keep coming back), and then grinding the same things at the endgame over and over again, like in an ultimate version of a dungeon crawler.

The problem is not group. The problem is today that the Random people you get thrown into groups with are most of the time people you would never group with otherwise. Yes you can say well don't use the LFD/LFR/Duty Finder shit. The problem is 99% of the player base today uses it. So you are FORCED to use it to even find a group to do instances. For example when I was in large FC in FFXIV I was asking day in and day out for people to run instances with. Crickets, Rarely if ever did people want to run with others. It was often, nope just queue up. You know what? I queue up and here are people who want to run DPS Phasers (Even though I am the tank it dont matter to me) or people want to rush through, our hell people telling you to past on gear they want for the 6th Job. So Why the hell would I even want to run with these people? Before LFD I had never had a problem finding a group, I had many friends and run so much content it is not funny. Yet today I feel like I am playing a single player game.

Take what is left of my group of friends who are Today playing any game what so ever. We play Heros of the Storm right now. No MMORPGs anymore because none of us can agree on a game but HOTS ok. There are 6 of us. IF we cannot fill out a 5 man group we play vs AI and fill the rest of the group out with AI because again random people being thrown in your group 99 times out of a 100 not someone we want to play with. Often they are just ass holes and tell you what you need to do or how to play and the list goes on.

So what is the problem? Automated Group Finder Tools. People like me stopped using them 2 years ago and today cannot find people to play with people the games are so Treadmill driven if you dont use the Group Finder you're Fucked.

The problem IS NOT grouping. It's catering to the player that plays 2 hours a week and wants to be like everyone else. I played TBC casually and yet I got a lot done vs what today's content is. I had friends and people were respectful of one another for the most part. If you did get into a guild that was not suited for you Ok yea you got people that were ass holes and ruined your game. But that is your responsibility to find a group that fits your play style not for a game to change for your play style.

That is why grouping blows right now

Edit I will say that I do think Raiding is dying because even being a group player I dont want to raid anymore, I would do 10 man or lower number of players. I would like to see a game a little more like Neverwinter where players create 5 man content and other players can play that content. The problem I have with Neverwinter is the trinity is not there, its playing Diablo 3 basically. Give me a game which focuses on creating non linear 4 or 5 or 6 man dungeons and adding in 2 to 3 more dungeons every 4 to 6 months and no LFD tool. I am good. I would play that game.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

josko9 said:

It is as if the players are the ones walking backward, not the genre. Looking at how BDO is being celebrated by "veterna' mmorpg players, i agree with you, players now just want a glorified single player game with "mmo" attached to it's name.

That is more because the Genera turned towards the Single Player gamer back in 2009 and catered to them to bring them into MMOs. Because of that we have a large group of single player gamers that love the idea of BDO because it is nothing more than a glorified single player game. Yet they will learn quickly that BDO is not what they want. What they want is to by 5 RPG games in a year for their console and play all 5 then by number 6 and so on.

Vets like myself want nothing to do with BDO because I know its a Glorified single player game and I want to play with other people. You cannot have that in BDO. Hell if I want to craft who the hell am I crafting for? Myself. Yea no that is not a MMO, I can do exactly that on Neverwinter Nights 2.

MMORPGs need to be for the players who want to play with other players. Single Player games like Dragon Age need to be for single player gamers. We keep trying to bridge these 2 generas and it is failing because they are too drastically different games
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited May 2016
    Fel, orcs and green fire...yawnzzzZZZzzz

"All the demons we’d fought and defeated – Lord Jaraxxus, Balnazzar, Tichondrius, and many more – were there, summoned by Gul’dan, and stronger than ever. Their message was clear: no matter how many times they were defeated or destroyed, they would learn from it and come back. "

To me the message is rather that WoW lore became lazy and uninspired story writing.
    Post edited by Volgore on

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I personally am looking forward to seeing what this expac will bring. I will enjoy the game in the honeymoon phase and I'll see how long after that I will stay. Either way, I won't be getting bent out of shape before the expansion even launches lol.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Volgore said:

"All the demons we’d fought and defeated – Lord Jaraxxus, Balnazzar, Tichondrius, and many more – were there, summoned by Gul’dan, and stronger than ever. Their message was clear: no matter how many times they were defeated or destroyed, they would learn from it and come back. "

To me the message is rather that WoW lore became lazy and uninspired story writing.

So basically all the bad guys Azeroth and its inhabitants sacrificed so much to destroy are back, and Blizzard has basically decided to even more blatantly copy Games Workshop and gave demons the Necron ability to regenerate themselves and keep coming back.

What's next? Orcs that shout, "WUUUGH!" and speak with a foreign accent? Night elves turning into hedonistic, sadomasochistic fetishists with a thing for black? Stormwind issuing magical power armor to their elite troops? Underground creatures named Skeven?

/facepalm

They introduced the whole 'alternate dimension and timeline' thing for WoD just so they could do this, didn't they?

Sad thing is, I'll probably still buy the damn thing eventually.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

Volgore said:

So basically all the bad guys Azeroth and its inhabitants sacrificed so much to destroy are back, and Blizzard has basically decided to even more blatantly copy Games Workshop and gave demons the Necron ability to regenerate themselves and keep coming back.

What's next? Orcs that shout, "WUUUGH!" and speak with a foreign accent? Night elves turning into hedonistic, sadomasochistic fetishists with a thing for black? Stormwind issuing magical power armor to their elite troops? Underground creatures named Skeven?

/facepalm

They introduced the whole 'alternate dimension and timeline' thing for WoD just so they could do this, didn't they?

They are nethrazim, they don't die. Did you guys never read the lore of nethrazim? It was loud and clear in warcraft 3.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ZeroColdXZeroColdX Member CommonPosts: 1
    It will be the same like before new expansion same raids mechanics and after 1 year content will stop and next expansion they cant even make something new only same raids with same kill 1xxxxxx adds heal aoe and kill boss and after 3 raids new expanaion will come. Blizzard have to think something new not to just remaster old content. Very few remember old days in wow how fun was everythink not like now its just so easy and not fun
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    WoW never offers much to the non-raiders.  To progress your gear, you need to raid.  To have anything that is mildly interesting to do and level-cap, once you have done all the pve quests, you have to raid as it's just a bland rinse and repeat, as is the raiding, but at least it's something I guess.  Would be good if they could come up with something beyond farmville that actually involved working with players.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited May 2016
    Kane72 said:
    WoW never offers much to the non-raiders.  To progress your gear, you need to raid.  To have anything that is mildly interesting to do and level-cap, once you have done all the pve quests, you have to raid as it's just a bland rinse and repeat, as is the raiding, but at least it's something I guess.  Would be good if they could come up with something beyond farmville that actually involved working with players.
    It's already a joke in first place that the game offers not much more than chasing for gear when you look for challenging, reasonable progression.
    Yes, there are achievements, pet fights, collecting mounts (very exciting when everyone already has like 150 and the rest has a drop chance of  0,0002%), do old content (that you did for 10years and with 100 alts already) and all that blablabla...
    I however wouldn't pay a sub for that and some month after WoD about 7mio players thought the same.

The only relentless thing about Legion will be that it's going to be relentlessly boring and uninspired for millions of players after 3-4 month.
    A relentless rehash of the stuff people were bored of 5+ years ago and a relentless stubborn repetition of mistakes on Blizzard's end that costed the game 7mio players the last time.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Volgore said:

/facepalm

They are nethrazim, they don't die. Did you guys never read the lore of nethrazim? It was loud and clear in warcraft 3.

Can't expect everyone to master Nerdism to max level rofl.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I really don't care what the people on this site think, I am stoked for the new Xpac from WoW, and its gearing up to be one of the best ones yet IMO.

I would complain that I have to wait so long, but then again, I have Heroes of the Storm/Overwatch/Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/SWTOR/Total War: Warhammer/ Ark: Survival Evolved to keep me busy in the mean time. :D

And yes, Nethrazim are a race of vampires per say, so they are pretty much immortal. Mal'Ganis is a bad ass and I can't wait till Arthas' Nemesis makes it into the Nexus.

BTW they are changing Dungeons to be much more meaningful, so it may not be all about the raids if you want to progress your gear. Though the raids are awesome and easy to que for so I am unsure what the bitching is all about. Also, no one is making you play, and their fans have every right to be excited about it even if you think its stupid, and despite what you may believe, I am not the only fan. Just the only one that bothers to comment on it on MMORPG.com I guess. Even I don't keep a sub running indefinitely, as I have WAY too many other games to play, so who cares if people pick it up for a few months, then unsub, then come back later? Do you develop leprosy or something? Is it illegal?