Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All of this and the Kitchen Sink?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    My phone didn't seem to post the first post hence the duplicate post.

And read my comments slapshot and you will see
    It's a yes/no question:

Are you trying to state that you actually believe that everything the developers have promised will be delivered in the timeline they stated (16 months)?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited May 2016
    I updated my last post and it's 18-19 months.
    31st Dec 2017 is 19 months 1st would be just over 18

And the other post wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of you inaccuracies. If you took it that way then that's how you read it not how it was meant.
    My phone didn't seem to post the first post hence the duplicate post.

And read my comments slapshot and you will see.

*edit*
    Actually I realised I had to post the answer in which I had said my view twice and I didn't make it clear the 2nd time.

Do I believe they can do everything in 18 months.  I am not sure.
    Do I hope they will make it, yes because I'm an optimist.

But just because I am unsure they can not make it does not mean that I will slander the game in every thread or on every post. I will support the dev team and offer criticism where I believe it is needed
    SO if you aren't sure they will do everything they say in the time frame they say it.... what are YOU basing that on?  According to you, in order to have an opinion on such things you would have to be the programmers themselves.

You are being contradictory unless you are one of the developers.

Or is it simply that you disagree with the EXPRESSION of such doubts?  That we can have them, but should not communicate those doubts?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

And the other post wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of you inaccuracies. If you took it that way then that's how you read it not how it was meant.
    It's 16 months.  The live game starts 3 months early when thousands start to play with no wipe.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    And the other post wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of you inaccuracies. 
    When you post a dictionary definition it's failproof.
    When he posts a dictionary definition it's inaccurate and a waste of time...
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited May 2016

It's 16 months.  The live game starts 3 months early when thousands start to play with no wipe.

But release is Dec. They haven't promised everything for expo.

Also if you read what I out I am not trying to act an expert. "I think so" means I am not sure. 

Also I didn't criticise his opinion I stated it was negative. You started to bring whether it was realistic or not. Since you insist on skewering what people write and confuse who puts what I again am going to stop opening your posts
    Dakeru said:
    And the other post wasn't a personal attack it was a statement of you inaccuracies. 
    When you post a dictionary definition it's failproof.
    When he posts a dictionary definition it's inaccurate and a waste of time...
    That would count if he had used the definition properly. He didn't therefore it was a waste of my time reading it
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Seems MANY posters are swaying way off topic,i don't mind if just doing it to add reasoning or some sort of proof or whatever but still i see no such case.
    I feel too many gamer's are or must simply be blind to what a developer CAN DO,i say that because so many are skeptical to game design ideas what seems to be judged on the fact they have not seen other devs do it.

EVERY single developer is not giving you their best effort,not even close,they have budgets and timelines.It is possible to do nearly anything you can think of in a game,if the developer is willing to do it,so we should NOT discredit any of the devs ideas for this game as being possible.

My only concern and the same one many should consider is the final implementation and how ideas impact from player to player.One concern i mentioned from day 1 ,long before anyone else even considered it was the idea of benefits from dying faster or what i call on purpose.We still do not know if this is the case,so many ideas that could go wrong if not done properly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Of course you are correct wizardry and for my contribution to that I appologise
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    SO if you aren't sure they will do everything they say in the time frame they say it.... what are YOU basing that on?  According to you, in order to have an opinion on such things you would have to be the programmers themselves.

Or is it simply that you disagree with the EXPRESSION of such doubts?  That we can have them, but should not communicate those doubts?
    Strangely enough Jeromy said the same thing,  He wants only positive comments so he will be able to maximize the amount of money kickstarter people will give him.

"During crowdfunding it can come down to a single backer. What if that backer was on the fence about funding the game and read your "they'll never deliver" comment and decided not to be supportive? I get that it makes you influential, but is it really worth dozens of people losing their jobs and people who've worked passionately on a project for years having to say good-bye to a dream solely so you can say "I told you so?"

The point I'm making is, when it comes to indy companies and crowd-funded games, what you say about a game - for good or ill, has a real impact and can quite literally be the difference between success and failure. Every time you post on a forum about a game that's crowdfunding, you're talking directly to their investors. "

That was one of the posts that made me do a doubletake.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Strangely enough Jeromy said the same thing,  He wants only positive comments so he will be able to maximize the amount of money kickstarter people will give him.

"During crowdfunding it can come down to a single backer. What if that backer was on the fence about funding the game and read your "they'll never deliver" comment and decided not to be supportive? I get that it makes you influential, but is it really worth dozens of people losing their jobs and people who've worked passionately on a project for years having to say good-bye to a dream solely so you can say "I told you so?"

The point I'm making is, when it comes to indy companies and crowd-funded games, what you say about a game - for good or ill, has a real impact and can quite literally be the difference between success and failure. Every time you post on a forum about a game that's crowdfunding, you're talking directly to their investors. "

That's just saying, don't say the game will fail or it's impossible or say things like the developers are incompetent. Not that you can't say you don't like X feature or you think they should change Y because it might not work in the game, they don't want to instill doubt of the viability of the project because you feel due to previous projects that it won't succeed. Let's be honest, people don't usually do extensive research and will even take posters word with or without proof.  They are just asking to avoid statements like what they are doing will never come to fruition not that you can't talk negatively about the project.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• JonrilusJonrilus Member UncommonPosts: 30

Really, Timberhick?  That is all that was required to elicit a double-take from you?  What he said was just common sense, given the design and goal of crowd funding.  I thought it was just candid.  What revelation did you find there?

J
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Timberhick said:

Do you have a link for that? That is absolutely hilarious read...
    Gdemami said:
    Timberhick said:

It also explains the recent trend of guys responding to criticism of the game by attacking the critic and not the actual issue.  Sounds like of like something Ryan Dancey tried to cultivate in the PFO community.  Didn't end well for them either.  the Us vs Them mentality sounds great in the echo-chamber but never really resonates beyond it.

Honestly I think there have been 2 very successful developer efforts around building and managing community in a crowd funded game.  One is Camelot Unchained as MJ is just the master at this.   The other IMHO is Pantheon because Brad has faced the music for his prior mistakes, not made excuses or unreasonable claims, and trudged on.   I haven't supported Pantheon yet (I was an original Kickstarter backer but that failed and I never pledged after that) but I have been impressed.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't think anyone would have an issue with someone sharing some doubt, it's repeatedly doing it that becomes questionable. As well as can become damaging to public perceptions. As I was saying earlier in the thread, there's no real payoff in that for anyone. Unless you're trying to spread that doubt of course. As an admitted backer you should be able to see and understand that... Public perception is everything to them at this stage, without some type of positive outlook, there is no hope in something like this becoming a reality. The more doubt that is spread the worse the chances become. As we all know they're going to need/want more money at some point. 

I don't see what is hard to understand about this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Torval said:
    whilan said:

That's just saying, don't say the game will fail or it's impossible or say things like the developers are incompetent. Not that you can't say you don't like X feature or you think they should change Y because it might not work in the game, they don't want to instill doubt of the viability of the project because you feel due to previous projects that it won't succeed. Let's be honest, people don't usually do extensive research and will even take posters word with or without proof.  They are just asking to avoid statements like what they are doing will never come to fruition not that you can't talk negatively about the project.
    It's their job to prove they're competent and can bring the project to fruition. People should err on the side of caution and not throw their money at them unless they understand the risks and are willing to lose it.

If people don't do extensive research, like you point out, and take the word of a stranger without proof, then they could be throwing their money away for someone, some project, that can't deliver.

In the context of those two paragraphs they are asking people to blindly trust them with money without any skepticism or critical thought whatsoever. They are asking people raising critical questions about their ability to succeed not to raise those questions so they can get donations without thought.

It is unacceptable to ask for money without scrutiny or to face criticism without question. The right thing is to be able to withstand those criticisms with facts and planning. Along those same lines I think Timberhick should supply a link and source to that. It's also the appropriate thing to to when citing a source.

If they really wanted to not face the scrutiny all they would have to do is show us they are capable of it. Put out a actual demo of more then just a 1v1. Show us working concepts of what they are saying they can do. Not just 2d artwork that any 2d artist can put together in a day or twos time.

No one is asking for anything that would be wasted time or anything like that. Show us examples of what they can do that can / will also carry over into the MMO. Show us a working demo of the aging process speeded up. Show us the combat demo with 100 people all fighting together.

Things like that would go along ways to closing up the scrutiny since that is all most of us is asking for anyways. Show us you can pull this off and we will open our wallets and there small 1 mil will go way up.
    Distopia said:

I don't think anyone would have an issue with someone sharing some doubt, it's repeatedly doing it that becomes questionable. As well as can become damaging to public perceptions. As I was saying earlier in the thread, there's no real payoff in that for anyone. Unless you're trying to spread that doubt of course. As an admitted backer you should be able to see and understand that... Public perception is everything to them at this stage, without some type of positive outlook, there is no hope in something like this becoming a reality. The more doubt that is spread the worse the chances become. As we all know they're going to need/want more money at some point. 

Brother.. as someone with just shy of 19k posts on here, I am fairly confident that many of those repeated the same criticisms or praises of a title.  That said,  SOME of the supporters have actually claimed that the game will be released on time with all the features because we don't know if this dev team is made up of geniuses that have revolutionary methods of programming.  I also think what Timberhick quoted from very relevant and it explains a lot of the responses to criticism of the game.

As far as myself, the reason I can honestly be critical of certain aspects of the game (while a backer) is that I consider it a GAME and not something I am personally invested in.  When one criticizes a game I back (Star Citizen, Crowfall... a dozen others) I have absolutely ZERO compulsion to attack that poster.  I don't feel like someone has wronged me or attacked me because they criticize a game I like... I don't even feel compelled to prove them wrong.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Gdemami said:
    Timberhick said:

It also explains the recent trend of guys responding to criticism of the game by attacking the critic and not the actual issue.  Sounds like of like something Ryan Dancey tried to cultivate in the PFO community.  Didn't end well for them either.  the Us vs Them mentality sounds great in the echo-chamber but never really resonates beyond it.

Honestly I think there have been 2 very successful developer efforts around building and managing community in a crowd funded game.  One is Camelot Unchained as MJ is just the master at this.   The other IMHO is Pantheon because Brad has faced the music for his prior mistakes, not made excuses or unreasonable claims, and trudged on.   I haven't supported Pantheon yet (I was an original Kickstarter backer but that failed and I never pledged after that) but I have been impressed.
    errm Slap...that Us vs Them mentality is in every game on this forum.  Did you forget so fast the GW2 vs SW:ToR debates? That was two big development companies that didn't even talk to any of the community here (as far as i know) That was crazy, the Us vs Them mentality is just a symptom of this board not what some developer did. They even had to induce increased mod for those two forums to the extent that if you even said anything even remotely down the negative path such as questioning a development decision you would have gotten suspended.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Distopia said:

Brother.. as someone with just shy of 19k posts on here, I am fairly confident that many of those repeated the same criticisms or praises of a title.  That said,  SOME of the supporters have actually claimed that the game will be released on time with all the features because we don't know if this dev team is made up of geniuses that have revolutionary methods of programming.  I also think what Timberhick quoted from very relevant and it explains a lot of the responses to criticism of the game.

As far as myself, the reason I can honestly be critical of certain aspects of the game (while a backer) is that I consider it a GAME and not something I am personally invested in.  When one criticizes a game I back (Star Citizen, Crowfall... a dozen others) I have absolutely ZERO compulsion to attack that poster.  I don't feel like someone has wronged me or attacked me because they criticize a game I like... I don't even feel compelled to prove them wrong.
    How many people are actually attacking others though? The guy that was truly doing that is banned the last I saw of him (the rest are on their way behind their bars). Most people are simply trying to reason with the negativity, as I am. Why focus on a small contingent of those taking part in this discussion? Why not focus on the reasonable arguments which is the vast majority of the posts you'll see?

As for needing revolutionary methods, I don't think that's the case, I also don't expect more than a framework of the game to come in about a year. AS for methods, just look at Project Gorgon. Most of that work has been done by one guy more or less right? Crappy graphics/art aside, there are a lot of interesting systems at work in that game. For the most part such features aren't breaking ground in terms of development, they're just the product of imaginative creation. 

I'm obviously not saying that will be the result here, I'm just using it as an example to say you don't need a huge team, nor revolutionary methods to churn out an MMORPG. 

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:

How many people are actually attacking others though? The guy that was truly doing that is banned the last I saw of him (the rest are on their way behind their bars). Most people are simply trying to reason with the negativity, as I am. Why focus on a small contingent of those taking part in this discussion? Why not focus on the reasonable arguments which is the vast majority of the posts you'll see?

As for needing revolutionary methods, I don't think that's the case, I also don't expect more than a framework of the game to come in about a year. AS for methods, just look at Project Gorgon. Most of that work has been done by one guy more or less right? Crappy graphics/art aside, there are a lot of interesting systems at work in that game. For the most part such features aren't breaking ground in terms of development, they're just the product of imaginative creation. 

I'm obviously not saying that will be the result here, I'm just using it as an example to say you don't need a huge team, nor revolutionary methods to churn out an MMORPG. 

The difference IMHO with Gorgon is that it was (is?) fully playable without putting down a single penny.  He has demonstrated his ability to deliver what he says.  It will be a small, NON-REVOLUTIONARY game that is not trying to invent all kind of new game ideas.  Its also done by someone who has a proven industry track record.  It's also done by someone just looking for small amounts of money (less than 100k) to keep going.

Speaking of which, you just reminded me I have't stopped in to Gorgon in a few months.  Time to update and see what's new!

Distopia said:

The difference IMHO with Gorgon is that it was (is?) fully playable without putting down a single penny.  He has demonstrated his ability to deliver what he says.  It will be a small, NON-REVOLUTIONARY game that is not trying to invent all kind of new game ideas.  Its also done by someone who has a proven industry track record.  It's also done by someone just looking for small amounts of money (less than 100k) to keep going.

Speaking of which, you just reminded me I have't stopped in to Gorgon in a few months.  Time to update and see what's new!
    That certainly highlights the question moving forward, if they do release a small bare-boned version next year, as they have with Gorgon: Free, playable, an insight into what's to come... That will go a long way in quelling negativity, if they do so and charge for it, the opposite will result... it sucks to say, but we have a long while before this actual discussion can move forward and those questions get answered.

That said I just realized I don't want to argue with folks for a year, see you guys then...

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Gdemami said:
    Timberhick said:

Don't have exactly that quote but a similar one.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/449916/unofficial-kickstarter-tiers-from-irc/p4

Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. While I doubt someone who leaks information like this to the public cares much about the lives of the people it puts at risk, the least you can do is be a bit less cavalier when talking about the potential failure of a project that has a real impact on peoples families.

We take the success or failure of the Kickstarter very seriously. We ask that you do too. Or if not, silently gloat to yourself.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited May 2016
    As a person well versed in software development in multiple industries and  environments I pretty well know what is possible and what is not.

This title as well as most others are relying more on elven magic than practical development practices, and their feature list is too large for the proposed budget and timelines.

History will prove me correct, that I'm sure of.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Gdemami said:
    Of course I have a link
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/442179/so-this-game-has-alpha-classes/p1
    It's rather fascinating to read.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Dakeru said:
    Don't have exactly that quote but a similar one.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/449916/unofficial-kickstarter-tiers-from-irc/p4

Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. While I doubt someone who leaks information like this to the public cares much about the lives of the people it puts at risk, the least you can do is be a bit less cavalier when talking about the potential failure of a project that has a real impact on peoples families.

We take the success or failure of the Kickstarter very seriously. We ask that you do too. Or if not, silently gloat to yourself.
    Timberhick said:
    Of course I have a link
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/442179/so-this-game-has-alpha-classes/p1
    It's rather fascinating to read.
    Thanks for both links. Seems like the scene is getting new Jason Appleton...