Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2 in development

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Distopia said:
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
    Who knows what plans are for TOR moving forward, maybe they feel 2018 or so is a good time for a follow up (different type of MMO design). With more of a current product focus (the new star wars timeline). These types of companies always tend to think along those lines. Especially EA, they're not exactly known for long term product support, they usually opt for yearly releases of a franchise. 
    You do realize that EA has been keeping Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot going for well over a decade, right? And that TOR is still one of the highest earning MMOs? They're not going to start a new game from scratch and franchise it, this isn't Madden.
    "Keeping going" and being a focus are two different things. 
    They spun the two games off into a new studio rather than letting them die with the travesty that Mythic Entertainment had become, and both games still have active development. It isn't a "focus," but they were at least nice enough to pass them off to someone who would support them.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Have to agree with MisterZeBub that there is no way they will have a name anything like SWG nor would they mention it in any way, which makes this rumor an easy prophesy to make because any SW open world game could be said to be the subject of this rumor.

So unless Daybreak and EA are talking there is no way it will be a sandbox MMORPG that is in any way a nod to SWG. I am enjoying the discomfort this thread is causing the SWTOR viewers (they aren't players they just watch movies).
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    We will get a Battlefront 2 for sure (with single player campaign this time..), that will (hopefully) end up being the game that Battlefront should have been in the first place.

SWG2 ?  I wish! I doubt it will be a true successor to SWG, but at this point, I would be happy with a Destiny in SW skin...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SWG 2, the only developers likely to create such a thing, is probably Konami.
     but don't worry, it will be a game of skill where you get to #pullthelever :p
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The minute they announce Raph Koster being involved in such a theoretical project, I might start to pay attention, as he was the architect of most of what made SWG good.

Lacking such an announcement, I couldn't care less about any "SWG2".

It would either never happen, or it would suck so badly, that no fan of the original game would care.

No Koster, no SWG2 that isn't just trying to put out shovelware based on the name to sell boxes.

And that is if the project even exists at all, which owing to the colored history of SWG, I doubt.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    We will get a Battlefront 2 for sure (with single player campaign this time..), that will (hopefully) end up being the game that Battlefront should have been in the first place.

SWG2 ?  I wish! I doubt it will be a true successor to SWG, but at this point, I would be happy with a Destiny in SW skin...
    I guess you haven't heard that BF2 is already scheduled for a 2017 release. There is chatter of a yearly release schedule (think COD) for Battlefront.. Which makes me think even shallower games TBH.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    No hope for this 
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Unsubstantiated rumor is unsubstantiated.  I would love to have a new and true sandbox SW MMO take place in the standard timeline (eps 1-9), but am not getting my hopes up.  Even if one was to be announced, I don't see how it would be released before 2019/20.  In our modern world, MMOs take a long time to develop and release and keeping such a project secret for long is highly unlikely.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    Ridelynn said:

scorpex-x said:
    Tiller said:
    Welp a new unsubstantiated rumor about a reboot being in the works and we should hear info on this e3 this year or next. No info on who is developing it for now other than EA will have it's hand in publishing it. Shooting for 2017-18 before the end of the new trilogy. I can't tell you how I know....this message will self destruct in ......
    Fake, SWG fans would hate a sequel that aimed at a wider audience and it would compete with their other star wars mmo.  Basic business sense means it won't happen.
    idk... EQ2, GW2, L2, RO2, FFXIV...

There have been a lot of sequels to MMOs in the past, with varying degrees of success. I've never bought into the notion that MMOs "eat" into the sales of other MMOs, and that it has to be a winner-take-all scenario.
    This is true. There are enough fans who want this that have little interest in playing anything else and more could be brought in; enough to create a substantial enough playerbase. There are people who love GW1 and will never touch GW2, there are others who play or have played both, and even more who never played GW1 at all but are huge fans of GW2. L1 and L2, same thing.  There is a market for it, it's just a mater of what they can do to bring the fans of the old game in and keep them.

For now all it is is just a rumor, but I did read that EA is not making it. Whether it's a sister company of EA or EA has some kind of publishing rights I have no  idea.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

@Tiller ;
    EA has the online games rights to the IP until like 2025 I think

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    God, if only this were true and not the ravings of a lunatic.

But you know what will happen. Som,e fucking greasy hipster-looking pony-tailed dev stand up and say:

'We heard what you wanted - and so we're brining back... SWG!!!'.

[THUNDEROUS CHEERS]

'But to make it practical we're making the following changes:

'Thirty-two professions will now be six.

'Everyone will be a jedi now because no-one wants to be Uncle Owen.

'Persistent player housing will be replaced by an anonymous doorway in an anonymous building beside the starport.

'The story will be linear now because no-one likes to make their own saga.

'The landscapes will be as enormous as ever - but thanks to our clever placing of mountains, walls and invisible barriers, you will only be able to travel in 2% of them.

'Crafting will be an exciting and dramatic minigame based on a half-remembered memory of the time I played Candy Crunch in an airport on my iPhone.

'The flight aspect of the game will not be free-ranging because you only think you want that when what you you really want is a guided arcade bomber game. Fuck you!'.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited May 2016
    Having a right to IP license and controlling the entire IP only for yourself are two different things some people seem to be failing to grasp. Lucas Art, now Disney if they wanted they can give their license to multiple companies to make a Star Wars MMO because they have a certain fee they charge to get a license of their product to use it, not to control it.

I'm surprised how SWG 2 has not been in the making over the years, especially how great it was Pre-CU. They don't even need to be innovative or creative, just copy paste everything the way it was on a far better engine and less bugs (hopefully) with some slight changes so there is some sense of exploration, discovery and a learning curve.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Many of the things that sucked about SWTOR were not in there because EA hates to see people having fun but because of the limits of the Hero Engine. 

I'm optimistic about the prospects for a new Star Wars MMO.
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    With Disney now owning the rights, the chances of SWG 2 went way up!
    But they are not stupid enough to give it to EA, they will simply rename and retool it.
    Here's hoping!!
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Back in 2014  there was a SWTOR 2 rumors on reddit. It was rather detailed and it wasn't exactly wrong. It's just that it wasn't SWTOR 2 but the KoTFE expansion it was detailing (well most of it, we never got a new engine).

This SWG2 rumors might just be something similar. New content for SWTOR in the making.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    Why would they make another SW mmo to compete with their current SW mmo?  It makes no sense and I highly doubt this is even a rumor.  Unless by rumor you mean OP starting one.
    Who knows what plans are for TOR moving forward, maybe they feel 2018 or so is a good time for a follow up (different type of MMO design). With more of a current product focus (the new star wars timeline). These types of companies always tend to think along those lines. Especially EA, they're not exactly known for long term product support, they usually opt for yearly releases of a franchise. 
    You do realize that EA has been keeping Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot going for well over a decade, right? And that TOR is still one of the highest earning MMOs? They're not going to start a new game from scratch and franchise it, this isn't Madden.
    They spun the two games off into a new studio rather than letting them die with the travesty that Mythic Entertainment had become, and both games still have active development. It isn't a "focus," but they were at least nice enough to pass them off to someone who would support them.
    You do realize that EA is responsible for the travesty that Mythic became?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Archlyte said:
    They could move their focus to the era that the movies are covering, which essentially is more merchandising saturation for Disney and can result in sales of E-products (real money store). They can sell ewok back packs or BB-8s or Rogue One Blasters. 

SWTOR may bring in its nut but it can't capitalize on the new movies because of the visual, story, and canon disconnect. To bring in new dollars they would have to do a game in the actual Star Wars setting
    You're absolutely right, except they can do all you said without making yet another mmo to compete with their own mmo by making a single player game or FPS.  There literally is no business sense to build another mmo so soon that conflicts with the current money maker.  EA 101.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Don't worry guys as soon as the OP self destructs the rumor will be gone. No such thing in the works... Nothing to see here.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    How does an obvious bait thread garner so much attention?
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Archlyte said:
    Jonnyp2 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ridelynn said:

As for SWG 2.. it's not getting released while Swtor is still profitable, if ever.  If anything it will be some kind of crappy survival sandbox dayz clone, which would sadly make significantly more money than an actual swg mmo.  
    If this were true car companies would just make one model of car. 
    Wrong, car companies make cars that fit different styles (coupe, 4 door, truck, wagon etc.).  Its no different with EA making a single player game, FPS and MMO in a SW skin.  You don't see mulitiply versions of the same type of cars with most makes.  Again, the idea that SWTOR only launched in 2012 and EA is making another SW mmo is ridiculous.
    Archlyte said:
    They could move their focus to the era that the movies are covering, which essentially is more merchandising saturation for Disney and can result in sales of E-products (real money store). They can sell ewok back packs or BB-8s or Rogue One Blasters. 

SWTOR may bring in its nut but it can't capitalize on the new movies because of the visual, story, and canon disconnect. To bring in new dollars they would have to do a game in the actual Star Wars setting
    You're absolutely right, except they can do all you said without making yet another mmo to compete with their own mmo by making a single player game or FPS.  There literally is no business sense to build another mmo so soon that conflicts with the current money maker.  EA 101.
    Except that why would you not build something new that could potentially double what you make from the current game? Is the overhead on SWTOR so onerous that EA is paralyzed until the mortgage is paid? If the thing would bring revenue the shape of it is of little consequence. I am trying to picture the boardroom champion of the status quo arguing that the game will make money but it must not be an MMORPG, no anything but that because we would be causing our twinkies to sell less when our amazing cupcakes sell out.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Last time any official related source referenced to SWG we ended up with just another zombie survival game, H1Z1.

Can't get any worst than that can it?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    There is no way I would get excited for SWG if EA is doing it. They cater to every one (people who have no business even playing MMORPGs). They don't even try to stick to canon. They push social justice issues. They still have broken things in game. Classes are revamped too many times. And on and on...

I really miss SWG. Would rather leave it be a great memory, before letting the title get destroyed.

If made by EA, it will fail. Then they can say, "see guys, we gave you SWG and nobody played it". 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Distopia said:
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    EA do not run UO and DAoC; Broadsword do.
    EA do now own Broadsword; they are independent of EA.
    Broadsword includes several original Mythic folk who - amicably - parted ways with EA.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    gervaise1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Omali said:
    Distopia said:
    EA do not run UO and DAoC; Broadsword do.
    EA do now own Broadsword; they are independent of EA.
    Broadsword includes several original Mythic folk who - amicably - parted ways with EA.

I don't think the would change anything for me. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"