Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Major issue with the flow of time

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Asm0deus said:
    whilan said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:
    4 days=1 year seems a bit quick to me, dunno but 1 week=one year sounds better to me off the bat.
    Honestly I think even that's too fast.

1 month = 1 year is my thinking
    That would be fine to me too BUT you kinda have to be careful when offering what you feel is constructive criticism  in this board.
    Can we avoid that, it's what starts the problems.

Now onto the discussion, we have to remember they want a 10 years story if each month is a year. that mean we get 12 years of story in a year.

That would take a 15 year character to 27 for the first year then 39 for 2, 51 for 3, 63 for 4, 75 for 5, 87 for 6, 99 for 7, (this is probably when the character would die of old age) 27 for 8, 39 for 9, 51 for 10.  They would have perma death exactly once in the entire storyline.  Not a very useful mechanic if it's likely to happen once or twice in the entire games lifetime.
    If you wanted to avoid this why did you reply when I wasn't responding to you.

See this is what I meant in my post and reply to howstupdisthis, it was meant to say I feel it's a little fast, I don't care about the exact numbering but 4=1 is too fast IMO  sadly we can't have discussion here with some people getting offended even if it not meant to be offensive.
    My firs line was attempting to keep it peaceful, like the OP asked to do and giving advice on how to do that. The math stuff was to Howstupidis this, which i'd hoped would have been obvious as he was the one proposing the 1 month to 1 year.  I only quoted you to get the entire context, so it wouldn't seem like I was talking to howstupidisthis in my first line.  I apologize if you thought this was against you, or trying to say howstupidisthis was wrong. It was to provide a scenario to show why they didn't go for the 1month=1 year.

Also it's fine to have an opinion. It's also fine for me to point out why that may not work (again to howstupidisthis, not you) due to other factors.  It's proving a point using the previous information to prove a point why they choose this over what he suggested.

It's not downplaying or ignoring everything said.  it was providing a what I'd hope reasonable arguement over why 1 month would be too long as it would stretch out the time before someone dies to nearly 75% of the entire games course.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Asm0deus said:
    OK lets try and explain it this way.

2.5 hours in real life = 1 in game day
    7 real life months (210 days) x 24 hours = 5040 Real life hours
    5040 REAL LIFE HOURS/ 2.5 hours (1 game day) = 2016 IN GAME DAYS

2016 IN GAME DAYS does not equal the 50 years.  It equals around 5.  So I think someone, somewhere has mixed up a decimal and it's a pretty big deal.

Instead if we take the 5040 REAL LIFE HOURS that we know are roughly equal to 50 years we can say that:
    5040/50 = roughly 100 real life hours = 1 in game year

100 hours / 365 means that  ROUGHLY 0.27 real life hours = 1 day in game

That is far from 2.5 hours = a day (which itself would be fast)

Seriously... if I am wrong just point it out and walk me through it.  Maybe I had a beer to much at the BBQ but it's a lot better to walk through the math which is something solid we can discuss (and point our an error if needed).

Again.. (a 3rd way):
    0.27 x 365 x 50 = roughly 5000 hours = roughly 210 days = 7 months
    2.5 x 365 x 50 = roughly 45,000 hours = roughly 1900 days = roughly 5 YEARS real time.

Maybe 1 year in game isn't 365 days?
    I know it isn't exact but I think they said it was supposed to be close.  It would have to be off by like a factor of 10 to make any sense.   If its 350 or 400 it's not going to make a difference to the math.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    LOL, too much math for a weekend. Think I'll just wait until it launches and see what happens.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2016
    Only two persons has bothered to even source their information.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Youre wrong because you are trying to make a direct equivalency for the time frame. It scales differently than Earth. There arent 365 days in an Elyrian year, there are 38.4 days per Elyrian year.

1 Elyrian year = 4 Real life days

4 * 50 = 200 : This is 4 Real Life Days * 50 Elyrian years, because 4 Real Life Days = 1 Elyrian Year. So every 50 Elyrian Years is equal to 200 Real Life Days. 200 Real Life Days is just under 7 months.

Each Elyrian day = 2.5 real life hours. So there are 9.6 Elyrian days per Real Life Day. So each Elyrian years is 38.4 Elyrian Days per Elyrian Year.

I really dont see how its that hard to see.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Asm0deus said:
    OK lets try and explain it this way.

2.5 hours in real life = 1 in game day
    7 real life months (210 days) x 24 hours = 5040 Real life hours
    5040 REAL LIFE HOURS/ 2.5 hours (1 game day) = 2016 IN GAME DAYS

2016 IN GAME DAYS does not equal the 50 years.  It equals around 5.  So I think someone, somewhere has mixed up a decimal and it's a pretty big deal.

Instead if we take the 5040 REAL LIFE HOURS that we know are roughly equal to 50 years we can say that:
    5040/50 = roughly 100 real life hours = 1 in game year

100 hours / 365 means that  ROUGHLY 0.27 real life hours = 1 day in game

That is far from 2.5 hours = a day (which itself would be fast)

Seriously... if I am wrong just point it out and walk me through it.  Maybe I had a beer to much at the BBQ but it's a lot better to walk through the math which is something solid we can discuss (and point our an error if needed).

Again.. (a 3rd way):
    0.27 x 365 x 50 = roughly 5000 hours = roughly 210 days = 7 months
    2.5 x 365 x 50 = roughly 45,000 hours = roughly 1900 days = roughly 5 YEARS real time.

Maybe 1 year in game isn't 365 days?
    ^
    This is most likely the answer.  No one has said it has to be based around our own.
    Asm0deus said:
    I know it isn't exact but I think they said it was supposed to be close.  It would have to be off by like a factor of 10 to make any sense.   If its 350 or 400 it's not going to make a difference to the math.

They never once said that a year is supposed to be anything like an Earth year. They have, from the beginning, said that the time scale is different. I would love to see a quote where any dev said that an in game year is supposed to be even remotely close to having 365 days or that it was supposed to mimic an Earth year in any way.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited May 2016
    I haven't went over slapshots math but if his numbers are right 2016 game days divided 50 is 40.32, so lets say 40 days = 1 year..still seem kind of quick to me.

I guess if you look at your characters as disposable placeholders for your soul this might make sense, i think lots of peeps will have trouble looking at it like this though.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited May 2016
    OK found a relevant Dev quote:

Now, an Elyrian year is 100 real-world hours. That equates to roughly 4 days. Doing the math, that means if I divide both 6,500 and 10,500 by 24 hours per day that ends up being between 270.8 and 437.5 days. If we drop the decimals you're looking at between 270 and 437 (avg. 354) days of play. At 354 average days of play, and 365 days per Earth year, it means you're looking at an average of a week and a half shy of one year of play, per Spark of Life.

OK.. so what i said was right.  100 REAL WORLD HOURS = 1 year in game

If the 2.5 hours per day is correct it would mean that each year consists of only 40 days?!?!?!   I suppose that is theoretically possible but then it doesn't match up with the whole 1 season = 1 day real life (do the math)

I'm telling you the math is not making sense here.  Fans, take a deep dive and look.  Don't just discount it.

Edit: I guess it kind of does if you say 10 days a season.  10 x 2.5 = 25 hours.

That seems CRAZY fast to me

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

All that doesn't take in the shortening of the souls life.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited May 2016

It does add up. It adds up just fine. There are 40 Elyrian Days per Elyrian Year. At 2.5 hours per day there are 9.6 Elyrian days per real life day. If they stick strictly to the 1 day(24 hours) = 1 season it would mean that the seasons and the years would slowly rotate.

If they stick with a direct equivalent it would mean that there are 25 hours per season, which is suspiciously close to a real life day if my math is right.
    All that doesn't take in the shortening of the souls life.  
    Haha maybe that how they plan on making the big bucks?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Deffcon_1 said:
    It does add up. It adds up just fine. There are 40 Elyrian Days per Elyrian Year. At 2.5 hours per day there are 9.6 Elyrian days per real life day. If they stick strictly to the 1 day(24 hours) = 1 season it would mean that the seasons and the years would slowly rotate.

If they stick with a direct equivalent it would mean that there are 25 hours per season, which is suspiciously close to a real life day if my math is right.
    Yes as I edited above, under that parameter it makes sense but think of the time dilation...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited May 2016
    Deffcon_1 said:

Yes as I edited above, under that parameter it makes sense but think of the time dilation...

This gets really fuzzy when we are trying to figure out how fast seasons should and should not last and how fast they change when we move away from Earth to another planet. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/The-Tavern/3340-Crazy-but-realistic-idea

Also, Ender, that's a nice idea. However, as you stated: This is Chronicles of Elyria, not Earth. I highly doubt the 10-year story that Soulbound Studios has planned will fit into Europe's history, much less the low to high-fantasy creatures planned to be implemented in the game. Gladly, Earth does not have a Trollmouth Salamander in existence.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

On the other hand if season are this fast maybe crops and food etc will be plentiful and it will be easier for me to get foodstuff when I murder people err...lol

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    edited May 2016
    The most basic error is the fact that people jump to the idea that there planet cycle is like Earth. 

Planet Elyria has a different orbit and rotation then earth.  To keep thing in real life...look at Mercury.

Mercury orbits the sun every 88 days.  That 1 year = 88 days.  In proportion, Elyria would be closer to the sun then Mercury is to earth.

Mercury rotates 1 time every 58 Day, 15 Hours, 30 Minutes.  In proportion to earth its spinning about 58.5 times slower then Earth.

So Elyria is closer to its sun then mercury, and spins about 10x the speed the earth spins on its axis.  I see no problem with the orbit of Elyria .  Elyria's sun must be much smaller and not put off as much heat as our sun for the planet to be that close to it.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They should look at Life is feudal. They have an easy to follow day/night cycle and it is also changeable. 

But math I saw being thrown around doesnt make sense here. If an in game day night cycle is 2.5 real hours, then there are 9.6 in game days to one real life day, so how can 4 real life days equal an in game year? Unless an in game year is only 38 day and 6 hrs in game time.

Now if the decimal point or time has been miscalculated by a factor of 10 them it makes much more sense, but it makes an in game year around 381 days not 365.

Problem is they talk about how epic the game is and 'realistic' it is yet they want to compress time in some completely unrealistic way. If they want to keep it semi realistic and semi 'epic' it would be about 1/4, but they cant do that because the main source of income is selling sparks of life, so if they made a real life year only 4 in game years people would live (best case scenario) about 20-30 real life years.

So theyre coming up against a mechanic that doesnt mesh with their income model. So they will be scrambling to try and figure out some way that they can make a persons life cycle around 12 real life months (best case scenario) and still make the time in game seem 'realistic', but it aint going to happen because if a person lives an average of 80 in game years then each real life month is going to be about 6.7 in game years and thus make each real life day equal to about 80 in game days. 

Basically they have a major math issue here trying to make the game seem normalized but also age people fast enough so that they will die soon enough to make sure they buy sparks of life to continue playing the game.
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    edited May 2016
    rodarin said:

But math I saw being thrown around doesnt make sense here. If an in game day night cycle is 2.5 real hours, then there are 9.6 in game days to one real life day, so how can 4 real life days equal an in game year? Unless an in game year is only 38 day and 6 hrs in game time.

An Elyrian year is only 38 Elyrian days and 6 Elyrian hours which = 4 Earth days.

The is no problem with a planet orbiting the sun every 38 days.....in game or real life.   All the planets in our solar system have different days at which it orbits the sun.  Mercury is 88 days.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    So when they say they have a 10 years story is it earth or elyrian years ?
    Azoth said:
    10 Real life years.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Deffcon_1 said:
    Azoth said:
    10 Real life years.
    ok good thank you
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Azoth said:
    When discussing in IRC we tend to refer to "10 years" as earth years and Elyrian time is referred to as "Elyrian Years / Elyrian Hours" etc. 
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    rodarin said:
    They should look at Life is feudal. They have an easy to follow day/night cycle and it is also changeable. 

Now if the decimal point or time has been miscalculated by a factor of 10 them it makes much more sense, but it makes an in game year around 381 days not 365.

Problem is they talk about how epic the game is and 'realistic' it is yet they want to compress time in some completely unrealistic way. If they want to keep it semi realistic and semi 'epic' it would be about 1/4, but they cant do that because the main source of income is selling sparks of life, so if they made a real life year only 4 in game years people would live (best case scenario) about 20-30 real life years.

So theyre coming up against a mechanic that doesnt mesh with their income model. So they will be scrambling to try and figure out some way that they can make a persons life cycle around 12 real life months (best case scenario) and still make the time in game seem 'realistic', but it aint going to happen because if a person lives an average of 80 in game years then each real life month is going to be about 6.7 in game years and thus make each real life day equal to about 80 in game days. 

Basically they have a major math issue here trying to make the game seem normalized but also age people fast enough so that they will die soon enough to make sure they buy sparks of life to continue playing the game.
    With open world PvP it's going to be a lot shorter then 80 years.  Sounds like one character per account so maybe an alt who stayed well fed never left the city and didn't die from a raid or natural disaster might live a long life but then that's multiple accounts, imo.

Void425 said:
    The most basic error is the fact that people jump to the idea that there planet cycle is like Earth. 

Planet Elyria has a different orbit and rotation then earth.  To keep thing in real life...look at Mercury.

Mercury orbits the sun every 88 days.  That 1 year = 88 days.  In proportion, Elyria would be closer to the sun then Mercury is to earth.

Mercury rotates 1 time every 58 Day, 15 Hours, 30 Minutes.  In proportion to earth its spinning about 58.5 times slower then Earth.

So Elyria is closer to its sun then mercury, and spins about 10x the speed the earth spins on its axis.  I see no problem with the orbit of Elyria .  Elyria's sun must be much smaller and not put off as much heat as our sun for the planet to be that close to it.

Must be hot as all that if its that close to a star.  How does human life support the heat?