Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The mmorpg community and the few toxic members

drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
Ok I look on the site because I love mmorpg games. I use it to find new games to play and through it found my next passion Chronicles of Elyria.

Now its a game that is not everyone's cup of tea. For some it's the opposite of what they want. And you know what that's fine, everyone has their own gaming style and love, but.....

And it's a big but...
The good community on here seems to be out weighed by those few haters, trolls and down right ignorant people. 

So why do these people go to forums about a game they have no interest in and polite the threads with their words of hate?

I don't go to other games and say "chronicles of elyria is the only game to play all others the devs have no idea what they are talking about"
So why happens when I answer their negativity back with arguments about how they are ignorant of the game and can't back their arguments with valid evidential points. (Or call them inbred ingrates which is sometimes needed) I get a warning.
But when they do it to any member of the community that sticks up for the game. .. They get a gold star.

It's about time these forums moderated their moderators and cleaned house.

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

...when I answer their negativity back with arguments about how they are ignorant...

...(Or call them inbred ingrates which is sometimes needed)...
    My guess would be the personal attacks is why you got a warning.

I do agree, though.  The trolls need a heavier hand than they get currently.  Some of the people on this forum literally do nothing but sit around and troll and add nothing constructive.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited May 2016
     (Or call them inbred ingrates which is sometimes needed) I get a warning.

Completely not needed and the fact that you deem it necessary and "sometimes" needed is why you got a warning and will more then likely earn yourself a banning (if you keep doing it.) If you think someone is trolling then report them. Don't become a troll yourself and personally attack them. That will only get yourself into trouble. 

Look at it this way. If you had a disagreement with someone face to face in real life. Would you tell them that they were inbred scum? Probably not because you couldn't handle the more then likely beat down you'd receive. Same goes here! Except you have to handle the more then likely beat down the mods are going to give you.

Also, if you take issue with how you are being moderated you should probably take it to private message with mod or contact the community manager through email at [email protected]. As posting a topic about it is not really the best approach and could be frowned upon. You should also may want to read the mmorpg.com User Agreement/ Terms of Use at http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct  as it could save you a lot of headaches down the road.

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I tried both of them with the mods.

And that was rather excessive I never actually called anyone that.  I just used it as an example because I was mad. The worst I did was point out that someone was indeed a troll
    Just wanted to say thanks for the link. Hadn't seen it before but now I can report the trolls for half their posts
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Get used to it.. the game you refer to has "forced" PVP... people are going to hate it for as long as its around.

I've had to put up with people complaining since I started visiting forums... and was the reason that I started posting.. to call out people on their bullshit.

The very first time that I came into the forums I wanted to read about and get excited for the game that I was playing. Instead all I found were people complaining about it. It really was a downer.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

yeah its the same for Chronicles of Elyria.

I just don't understand why they don't bother
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited May 2016
    You have to understand not everyone sees things the same way, take CoE for example it has some very cool features but there's so many ambitious ones it will attract so many people but they may not like every single feature or how certain features are being planned out.

It's therefore quite normal you might have different opinions of a strong nature due to all these people wanting the game to be fun in how they want to play it, this doesn't even go into more subjective stuff like p2w or mechanics some might feel will be exploited.

It happens in every game forums were one group will be labeled a "hater" and another "white knights"...doesn't matter how careful you try to be eventually you will be labeled as on or the other at some point.

You need to figure out how much your going to let that kind of stuff bother you and figure out for yourself when to step back otherwise the mods do it for you.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

@Asm0deus ;

I have no problem with people putting a discussion over in a constructive and decent way.
    Take you for example if I remember you have concerns over CoE but I don't see you hijacking every thread with hate.

It's those people that I mean, that's the reason there was a warning in the coe forums because people are hijacking all the threads.
    Why can't they put forward a constructive argument in a passive way and actually have discussion.

I have got myself plenty of warning because people here have riled me up, not with their dislike of the game but on the personal attacks and campaign of hate
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    What's scary is the CoE forums on their site are probably worse......
    Not sure what forums you have been on but in my opinion their are not. I've found nothing but decent people on there.

But saying that since the kickstarter theactivity of members has shot up.
    As I said I didn't actually use the phrase inbred. That was just me being slightly dramatic when I made this post.

I think things like calling them stupid, trolls and other things is the worst I ever got.
    I deserved my moderation warnings but the whole conversation should have been taken in context and they should have received a warning too.

I now just report them for trolling or going off topic and put forward an argument.

Like a comment I made about the negativity and someone said it was realism and said i needed to know he difference. So I posted a definition of negativity to show I was right to use the phrase.
    No doubt he will argue the sky is green that he is right and I am wrong. Just another troll on a forum.

The main point is the mods on these forums need to be a little more proactive and a little less bias
    Really? That's a bit harsh but fair enough.

Thanks for the support prices not everyone here is as bad as in the coe forums
    Sorry I meant the not criticising the mods on the forums
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Wasn't his first offense obviously.
    Evidently, it wasn't drake's either.  The irony of this thread...
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Lokero said:
    Wasn't his first offense obviously.
    Evidently, it wasn't drake's either.  The irony of this thread...
    Tried to warn him. 
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    As long as people struggle with differing opinions, trolls will be commonplace :)
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I think a solution would be to create a Speak-Your-Mind thread (not confused with Off-Topic).  And only hand out infractions/bans/restrictions/etc if trolls keep repeatedly appearing in the main forums.  It would help if moderators were perceptive enough to recognize a troll - a person that is not interested in the game or making relationships but just wants to insult or insight a riot.  I also think anyone whose forum avatar/image is the troll face should be told they are not allowed to post in the main forums as long as they are sporting that image.

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    edited May 2016
    I don't think he cares as long as he is defending a game he belives in

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    One thing I have learned with my entire time on different forums.  For the past 20 years.  Often when other people accuse someone of being a troll.  It is a attempt to censor or use censorship to hide dissension among common view.

I have much experience with this type of thing.  Once upon a time this forum had political chat. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    xpowderx said:
    One thing I have learned with my entire time on different forums.  For the past 20 years.  Often when other people accuse someone of being a troll.  It is a attempt to censor or use censorship to hide dissension among common view.

I have much experience with this type of thing.  Once upon a time this forum had political chat. 

IMO, you are just Orcing..  :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"