Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will people quit falling for cash grabs?

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
1) Ask for 900k and promise more than 20 million dollar AAA+ MMO's
2)???
3) PROFIT!

When small time indy firms basically promise the moon from the sky and promise to do it with one tenth of an AAA+ budget, you know you're set for an disappointment.

Comments

• khavu11khavu11 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited May 2016
    You're right, just let me play the other 10,000 MMOs out there modeled after a very select few successful MMOs for the next 10 years as I bask in AAA+ production values masking the derivative smell of good ol' boredom.

Yea I think I'm gonna go with the indy guy that's at least gonna try something, and even if it's total bullshit, at least I felt good about taking the chance to try and get out of the current MMO shit land I'm sinking in.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    (They're both selling horseshit, they smell the same but one pile is prettier than the other.)
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Thanks for today's positive thought. I bet you're a fun guy to be around...
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454
    This is certainly not an intended cash grab. If they will deliver as promised remains to be seen however.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I trust this company more than I'd trust any AAA game company out there. Too full of shit.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Damn how many beers will they get out of my $25? :open_mouth: 
  • PrometPromet Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'm with @khavu11 here, I don't mind donating a few bucks towards an interesting idea. The MMORPG scene needs something new, and as I like the genre, I like to support the companies that try.
    As a backer of CoE I'm extremely skeptical about the promises made, I'm not even expecting a good game out of this. I just hope they can release a game that drives the genre forward by exploring new ideas.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I'm thinking about making this game but in space can I have 2 million dollars plz k thnx
  • drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Yet another silly threat saying the same thing the other nay sayers on these forums have said. Getting boring now 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Sadly this is the state of mmorpg gaming. Real money wont invest and it takes us to fund anything that might be fun, and the realistic chances it will be made are very slim.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Sadly this is the state of mmorpg gaming. Real money wont invest and it takes us to fund anything that might be fun, and the realistic chances it will be made are very slim.
    It will only take one.    If a crowd funded game thats really different comes out and is very successful then the real money will try to jump on board.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    st4t1ck said:
    It will only take one.    If a crowd funded game thats really different comes out and is very successful then the real money will try to jump on board.
    Let's pray this will happen...

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    My wild guess is that OP will not be COE backer. Maybe butthurt from Pathfinder kickstarter? 
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    I'm thinking about making this game but in space can I have 2 million dollars plz k thnx
    Sure, but before you do that we need the following.

To see your team of dedicated people.
    In-progress work with showing the team working on the projects.
    A good amount of videos showing your work in-game.
    A playable demo at Pax East.
    A website that wasn't made just yesterday, and has a large amount of people talking.

At the very least you should have these 5 things. I mean that's at the very least what Soulbound had.  We'll wait (it will probably be a few years for you though

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    kishe said:
    2)???
    3) PROFIT!

When small time indy firms basically promise the moon from the sky and promise to do it with one tenth of an AAA+ budget, you know you're set for an disappointment.
    And you're an expert in game design because???  At least the devs have put their money where their mouths are by investing $500 thousand of their own money first to develop the Souldbound engine and the infastructure of the game BEFORE doing a KS. Plus he already has another $500 thousand in other funding to continue the development once KS ends. So NO it's not a cash grab. He's spend the last 10 yrs working on development of the game if you'd bothered to do even a little research first, you'd know that...
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    kishe said:
    2)???
    3) PROFIT!

I would suggest reading the founders profile and how he has funded the project up til the Kickstarter campaign.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    st4t1ck said:
    Let's pray this will happen...
    The problem is they will exactly that: Jump on board with copy-cat games just like they did with WoW. These will fail just, just as all the WoW clones did. Then the investors will all stop investing again.

Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is...
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Nibs said:
    The problem is they will exactly that: Jump on board with copy-cat games just like they did with WoW. These will fail just, just as all the WoW clones did. Then the investors will all stop investing again.

Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is...
    I know this is the current 'sermon' being preached around.  It, however, isn't actually true.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Nibs said:

I know this is the current 'sermon' being preached around.  It, however, isn't actually true.

Actually, REAL INVESTORS look at track record. If a game designer really hasn't produced ANYTHING in a specific genre then why should they invest?

Crowdfunding is just a way not to be beholden to anyone (not even the crowdfunders), just getting cash thrown at you. It is basically what is happening.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just like anything else I want to try it out before I invest in it.  Even if it is a good game it may not agree with my playstyle so I'll wait and see how alpha and beta go before I jump in.  It sounds interesting but a lot of games sounded interesting until I actually played them and found they were not for me.  Nothing against this game I hope it succeeds,  I've just learned patience.  If you want to donate, enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Nibs said:

Except you're completely wrong as the available evidence overwhelming shows that it is true.
    Except I'm not.
    botrytis said:
    Nibs said:

Actually, REAL INVESTORS look at track record. If a game designer really hasn't produced ANYTHING in a specific genre then why should they invest?

Crowdfunding is just a way not to be beholden to anyone (not even the crowdfunders), just getting cash thrown at you. It is basically what is happening.
    You also have investors who will take on "risky, innovative" ideas, if, they believe in the product or person or the money to be made.

There is a lot of moving parts to all of this, but for some reason the Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is... Fallacy is the excuse most often used.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    cash grab or not, i have come to the conclusion that alot of people hate their own money. I mean all you have to do is look at twitch streaming for example. people actually PAY somebody else to play a video game so they can watch.

I remember back in the days when it sucked to sit there and watch somebody else play the game, i remember I wanted to play the game, not watch. now people pay to watch?? insane
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    DrunkWolf said:
    cash grab or not, i have come to the conclusion that alot of people hate their own money. I mean all you have to do is look at twitch streaming for example. people actually PAY somebody else to play a video game so they can watch.

I remember back in the days when it sucked to sit there and watch somebody else play the game, i remember I wanted to play the game, not watch. now people pay to watch?? insane
    Good ol' back in the days. Yea...  Everything just made more sense. Todays upside down and all. 
  • drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Nibs said:

Except you're completely wrong as the available evidence overwhelming shows that it is true.
    Except I'm not.
    botrytis said:
    Nibs said:

You also have investors who will take on "risky, innovative" ideas, if, they believe in the product or person or the money to be made.

There is a lot of moving parts to all of this, but for some reason the Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is... Fallacy is the excuse most often used.

Financial expert again I see
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    kishe said:
    2)???
    3) PROFIT!

I suppose this depends on individual expectations. Personally, I have 4 of 8 KS projects I backed sitting on my desktop right now and I've enjoyed every minute of them. On top of that, I have another 2 (Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin) which I missed out on at Kickstarter and have enjoyed immensely. In fact, I'd say that they've been some of the best experiences I've had in my past 5 years of gaming. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have had little or no disappointment with the games I've backed.

Personally, I feel like it's people who don't understand the process and feel like they will be making a game for $900k. I actually find that somewhat funny. That might do a dev team of 5-10 people for 1 year. There is more funding involved, but I think that's just a matter of educating the masses that needs to happen rather than your own fault. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

This discussion has been closed.