Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE on greenlight

drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
Title says it all

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2016
    Interestingly enough I don't know what being Green lighted on Steam really means. 

What are the benefits of it?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    Interestingly enough I don't know what being Green lighted on Steam really means. 

What are the benefits of it?
    Publicity

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Exactly what's being said on ks comments
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    People submit their games to Steam Greenlight and the Steam player base gets to vote on whether ot not they'd like to see that game on Steam itself. Steam has a huge player base so it's more publicity which is just what you need during a kickstarter event.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Greenlighting though can be fickle.

Say these guys are looking at a 4 year dev cycle. If it's not on steam asap players will moan. It's what we do.

You pretty much have to commit to steam to save face. On release.
    Which means you have to give Valve a ??% of anything gained.

It's very much locking yourself into a digital distribution publisher before you've even secured proper funding.

We gamer types hella begrudge everything.
    Here's a comment from Soulbound Studios on the Kickstarter page.

First, no, we are not at ALL committed to selling on Steam, and if we do, not for Beta/Alpha. We view that period as for true game testing, not casual gamers who want to play something only to complain that it's not fun/stable/good. We also share your concern about casual Steam players, and will definitely take that into consideration when discussing a potential (and by no means certain) Steam release. We also have to consider the fact that Steam takes a percentage of profits, which we're not too keen about. So lots to think about there.

Second, this is really about publicity for the Kickstarter project, to get more eyeballs to the page and help us toward our goal. So if you'd like to help us out there, this gives you another avenue. If not, feel free to skip.

lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Steam users tend to be a lot more critical of MMOs, it's really hard to get an overwhelmingly positive on any MMO title so it's kinda risky other than you will get more visibility. The average Steam user (not all) isn't really a diehard MMO player, or they know or care very little about them.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I use steam all the time but not for MMOs.  The only one I wished I had gotten there was EVE because of the sales they have.  As far as paying a % etc. for most games the amount of volume they will see on Steam should more than make up for that and if the subs are coming in from your game or in game purchases then it should be fine from my understanding.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

lunawisp said:

First, no, we are not at ALL committed to selling on Steam, and if we do, not for Beta/Alpha. We view that period as for true game testing, not casual gamers who want to play something only to complain that it's not fun/stable/good. We also share your concern about casual Steam players, and will definitely take that into consideration when discussing a potential (and by no means certain) Steam release. We also have to consider the fact that Steam takes a percentage of profits, which we're not too keen about. So lots to think about there.

Second, this is really about publicity for the Kickstarter project, to get more eyeballs to the page and help us toward our goal. So if you'd like to help us out there, this gives you another avenue. If not, feel free to skip.

Thank you, very helpful, much appreciated.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Exactly what's being said on ks comments
    Useless as the OP.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Astropuyo said:
    Greenlighting though can be fickle.

Say these guys are looking at a 4 year dev cycle. If it's not on steam asap players will moan. It's what we do.

You pretty much have to commit to steam to save face. On release.
    Which means you have to give Valve a ??% of anything gained.

It's very much locking yourself into a digital distribution publisher before you've even secured proper funding.

We gamer types hella begrudge everything.
    No it means that steam is willing to sell their game.  COE is not obligated to go forward with it and they have a few years before they even need to act.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    lunawisp said:

Thank you, very helpful, much appreciated.
    So they're not really serious about the Steam community. They're just fishing for pledges and milking the PR. Classy and professional.
    Advertising for free...smart I say.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited May 2016
    Tiller said:
    Steam users tend to be a lot more critical of MMOs, it's really hard to get an overwhelmingly positive on any MMO title so it's kinda risky other than you will get more visibility. The average Steam user (not all) isn't really a diehard MMO player, or they know or care very little about them.
    I noticed that too, you tend to get rather lukewarn reception for MMOs, kind of like here (okay I kid, mostly). I see this as pure and simple publicity (get your name out there to as many people as possible) like Slapshot said.

What is weird about them is you'll get lukewarm receptions for MMOs but then get Overwhelmingly positive for those choose your own adventure text based no sound games.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:
    It's hard to get anything better than "mixed" for most of them.
    Most of them aren't that good, are still in development or they're extremely old, so that makes sense. The ones we'd expect to, all seem to have mostly or very positive ratings, ESO, FFXIV and TSW as an example. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    If this means they will be doing some sort of early access buy pre-alpha type of deal I will cancel my pledge. 

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

They're said there's no alpha or beta planned for steam and they haven't even committed to using steam as a platform. They've put CoE out there to see how popular it woul dbe to steam users, and for the extra publicity it receives of course. Jeromy Walsh explained the reasoning behind it on Kickstarter Update 11.
    Yesterday's pledges were up quite a bit on the previous two days. Wonder if that had anything to do with the greenlight announcement :)