Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter at 75% - just a quarter left :)

lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
CoE Kickstarter has reached 75% with 25 days still to go. The higher value 'early bird' options have sold out, a couple of the lower tier ones remain.
lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id

Comments

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I know a few people waiting for the end of the month to see what their finances are like before they pledge too.
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    You would think the game has failed with some of the haters I have seen, but this blows them away. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like their video.  Their office looks sparse which means they don't appear to spend a lot of money on office decorations.  Would really like to see the games UI.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Zultra said:
    You would think the game has failed with some of the haters I have seen, but this blows them away. 

I don't think it blows anything away. By your logic then Star Citizen is a super success and there is not even a real solid product out of it yet. (And yes I am fully behind backing star citizen and hopes it makes it)

The same can be said about this game. I hope it does well and what they advertise comes out of it. Yet, I have reasons to believe that it wont end exactly like they want it to. They (at this time) do not have the talent to pull off what they want to do. Maybe there $1mil will change that but to achieve what they want is going to take way more then just a million. Other companies have tried and spent WAY more and could not pull it off with $100 million +

So yes I hope I am wrong and the game comes out exactly like they want, cause I want to play what they are pitching as the game. But I won't invest money into it until I have full confidence that its just not going for waste like so many Kickstarter projects out there.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited May 2016
    Zultra said:
    Any kind of criticism seems to be hate to you.

You should get a more professional attitude.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited May 2016
    Dakeru said:
    Zultra said:

First sentence is agreeable but then you follow it up with something hateful.

So where is the logic in that?
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited May 2016
    I decided to back the team on this one. My first Kickstarter actually. If it works out, great...we have a new innovative game. If not, well, it's money I've already written off. I don't think you should view Kickstarter as an investment so much as a gamble and you should never gamble with money you can't afford to lose.

Having said that...go team - I'm rooting for you :)
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • ZephlykkZephlykk Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I can see why people would be skeptical about the success chance of this game. After all in the gaming world, 900k isn't that much money. But on another note, Caspian has invested 500k of his own money. Not only that but he has said that if the game gets funded on Kickstarter, that will open doors so that he can start talking to investors. So I am willing to bet that this game will have a fair amount more than $1 million invested in it by the time it launches. The ideas alone that they are producing, and the hype behind them, are enough to start making some waves in the gaming community. Even if the game isn't a massive success, it could help push the genre in a different direction and force other gaming companies to consider implementing some of their ideas. I couldn't be more excited to support their ideas, even if that means taking a risk that my monetary investment wont be returned immediately upon launch. Their ideas are good for the gaming community, and worthy of the support.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:
    Zultra said:

In all fairness.. he is still 10 times more professional than renfail though.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited May 2016
    Zephlykk said:
    I can see why people would be skeptical about the success chance of this game. After all in the gaming world, 900k isn't that much money. But on another note, Caspian has invested 500k of his own money. Not only that but he has said that if the game gets funded on Kickstarter, that will open doors so that he can start talking to investors. So I am willing to bet that this game will have a fair amount more than $1 million invested in it by the time it launches. The ideas alone that they are producing, and the hype behind them, are enough to start making some waves in the gaming community. Even if the game isn't a massive success, it could help push the genre in a different direction and force other gaming companies to consider implementing some of their ideas. I couldn't be more excited to support their ideas, even if that means taking a risk that my monetary investment wont be returned immediately upon launch. Their ideas are good for the gaming community, and worthy of the support.
    Talking to investors who might want to have a say on the games development could lead to a totally different game.  Investors want to see a nice return on their money and tend to be very conservative and want to go with what already works rather then blazing new trails.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZephlykkZephlykk Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Zephlykk said:
    Talking to investors who might want to have a say on the games development could lead to a totally different game.  Investors want to see a nice return on their money and tend to be very conservative and want to go with what already works rather then blazing new trails.
    Totally possible. But I would still hold firm in that their ideas are solid enough to warrant the support it needs. The more you show the investors that you are willing to throw money at these ideas, the more likely they will be to back them.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    900,000 seems kinda low. I know Caspian put in 500,00 but even that seems really low. What are they doing with this money? I'm guessing based on what most mmorpgs costs that even 10-12 million would be on the cheap to make something like this.. Is the 900k just to make certain aspects of the game?

Maybe galvanising the community and succeeding in their kickstarter will help convince a few investors to back the project further. While it's true to say that investors want a return for their money, a lot of them are entrepreneurs themselves and they know that you have to sometimes take risks in order to succeed.

If nobody ever took a risk, we'd still be eating berries and living in caves.
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Zultra said:

In all fairness.. he is still 10 times more professional than renfail though.
    Do do understand the Renfail has nothing to do with this game so bringing him up in a CoE thread is just funny as hell.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    900,000 seems kinda low. I know Caspian put in 500,00 but even that seems really low. What are they doing with this money? I'm guessing based on what most mmorpgs costs that even 10-12 million would be on the cheap to make something like this.. Is the 900k just to make certain aspects of the game?
    There's the rub, the game as envisioned can't be delivered with any semblance of completeness, so the real question is what is the plan to fund it to the end?

They may be planning on launching with a MVP build, and add to it later, or counting on post KS fund raising from fans, investors, or lottery winnings to flesh it out further.

More info to come in time I'm sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

There are quite a few people complaining about not being able to pledge because Kickstarter doesn't accept the method of payment they want to use. Soulbound Studios have confirmed that they will be adding additional payment options once the Kickstarter goal has been reached...they obviously don't want people avoiding KS and have it fall short of the goal.
    We really haven't a clue how much they're going to end up with from the community and how much more they're going to need from other investors...but then that's a business decision and probably not something they want to share at the moment.
  • Z[MMOsmart]Z[MMOsmart] ATITD RepresentativeMember UncommonPosts: 82
    Kyleran said:
    They may be planning on launching with a MVP build, and add to it later, or counting on post KS fund raising from fans, investors, or lottery winnings to flesh it out further.

So many studios depend on Lotto winnings now days O.o
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Good for them.  I wish them luck.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Like Isaid they are doing the kickstarter to entice investor(s) that they have already talked to and gotten turned down by. This kickstarter was basically a way for them to show something concrete to these guys and may have been a prerequisite for these investors to come on board.

They had about a million already put itno it before the kickstarter the 900K was going ot get them to about 2. What they have claimed they want to do couldnt be done for 100, so they obviously need more money. They can either get investors or start selling stuff, more than likely both.

Anyone that thinks they will have anything playable for the money they have spent and raised so far are pretty naive.

It does look like theyre going to make it, I was pretty skeptical at first but I am glad theyre going to get there now we can see where it goes. I would put the likelihood of an investor other than pledged by kickstarters at about 90%. I would also not doubt they have a publisher also come in which will add another wrench to this whole thing.

This could dtart to get as entertaining as Star Citizen except on a much smaller scale. Although I really think these guys want to make the game theyre xelling and have a semi realistic shot at doing some of it.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Zephlykk said:
    Investors are not publishers... and they can always have an agreement of 'hands off' for the most part.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    edited May 2016
    Maygus said:
    Zephlykk said:
    Investors are not publishers... and they can always have an agreement of 'hands off' for the most part.
    Investors can be publishers though.  As to agreements and sticking to their guns.  I don't really know the people who are making this game so I don't know how much integrity they have or how good they are at managing a working game or handling lots of money.  I don't know if someone comes alone, likes what they'er doing and wants to put down say two hundred million on the game but demand some say over how the game is made what they will say.   This is all academic at this point so and just pure opinion, nothing else.  I wish them well and love to see something different in gaming and perhaps this is it, or perhaps not as it's to early to say.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    TBH if I hadn't been burned about 3 times already from backing a game on KS I might have backed this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    rodarin said:
    Like Isaid they are doing the kickstarter to entice investor(s) that they have already talked to and gotten turned down by. This kickstarter was basically a way for them to show something concrete to these guys and may have been a prerequisite for these investors to come on board.

They had about a million already put itno it before the kickstarter the 900K was going ot get them to about 2. What they have claimed they want to do couldnt be done for 100, so they obviously need more money. They can either get investors or start selling stuff, more than likely both.

Anyone that thinks they will have anything playable for the money they have spent and raised so far are pretty naive.

It does look like theyre going to make it, I was pretty skeptical at first but I am glad theyre going to get there now we can see where it goes. I would put the likelihood of an investor other than pledged by kickstarters at about 90%. I would also not doubt they have a publisher also come in which will add another wrench to this whole thing.

This could dtart to get as entertaining as Star Citizen except on a much smaller scale. Although I really think these guys want to make the game theyre xelling and have a semi realistic shot at doing some of it.
    It's interesting to me that just because Star Citizen wants to make 3 or 4 games in one that everyone now assumes you need 100 million dollars to build a MMO based on the Unreal 4 engine, which is essentially a free engine in terms of development.  I think you folks don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  Sure, they still have to develop the server side technology, but to assume they need 100 million to do that is naive in the extreme.
    I have to agree, I also think an important distinction is that these guys really aren't trying many things that are seemingly pushing the boundaries of what's possible in a given game engine (like SC is). While they have a lot of systems planned, none of them seem overly ground breaking in terms of R&D..  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Distopia said:
    rodarin said:

It's interesting to me that just because Star Citizen wants to make 3 or 4 games in one that everyone now assumes you need 100 million dollars to build a MMO based on the Unreal 4 engine, which is essentially a free engine in terms of development.  I think you folks don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  Sure, they still have to develop the server side technology, but to assume they need 100 million to do that is naive in the extreme.
    I have to agree, I also think an important distinction is that these guys really aren't trying many things that are seemingly pushing the boundaries of what's possible in a given game engine (like SC is). While they have a lot of systems planned, none of them seem overly ground breaking in terms of R&D..  

I think daily dynamic story is a long shot promise. 
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    it just mean peoples never learn, many of the peoples you call ''hater'' me included would have think after get fooled 1 times peoples would have learn
    ( many more time actualy, we are still waiting for one finish mmorpg to release on kickstarter... )

but it just prove peoples never learn, if the game dont release with all these features ect... and you want blame someone ? look at yourself....

im still happy this game got the kickstarter goal but the realist of this game to release with the features they promise and the money they got way more small that star citizen.......

well that not with my money !! but will watch, they got amazing dream and idea...

im just not someone who buy dream with no serious evidence behind them.