Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Golden Age or ARPG's

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
edited May 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Well with so many ARPG's out right now.  As well as some really good ones.  Just wondering what your favorite ARPG is.  Some of you who have seen my posts before know I am a HUGE Grim Dawn fan.  To me it is almost the "Do all, Be all" ARPG for me.  I love this game very much!  I play this much more than I ever played POE or D3.

Although if I were to rank my ARPG's , top 3 of course.  Would look like this.
1. Grim Dawn
2. Path of Exile
3. Diablo 3

So if you were to pick you favorite ARPG, please post!  Also if you have a good argument post that aswell :-P!

Oh, and Suzy is right!  I agree with her as well.  I as well have it on all my PC systems!  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1047/view/reviews/load/430/A-Stellar-ARPG-Set-in-a-Dark-Gritty-Steampunk-World.html

Comments

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I feel like Grim Dawn is way too easy post release. After the nerfing of Fabbius, Nightmare, Mogdrogen as well as Elite and Ultimate difficulties I feel like the devs are intent on chipping away at what little difficulty is left in the game. Using melee also feels very terrible in the game if you have any sort of latency, or if you're trying to hit a target that moves at nearly the same speed as you.

Path of Exile is more around the area of difficulty I like to see in my games, however the balance in that game is complete shit. There's no reason to play melee if you ask me. Totems always seemingly stay strong, trapping is at an all time high, and wanding is top tier stupid broken op right now. Balance in this game has always been a mess, however it also seems to shift quite significantly with each major update. However that's not the problem I have with the game. The game in a way totes itself as a competitive game with its leaderboards, leagues, and races. However as of this year they've been adding massive quality of life improvements to trading in the game that are only available through the cash shop. While I have monetarily supported GGG throughout each major update from closed beta, I simply cannot anymore.

Diablo 3. . . is Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is like the joke that keeps going, but the punchline is seemingly forever absent. Also fuck Star Metal Kukiri, while I do I put in around 100 hours every season, and have accumulated up to paragon 800, I have never seen an SMK drop.

As far as favorite ARPGs go, I'd have to go with PSO2. An active population of 200,000ish with around 100-200 active English speaking players on ship-2. Now with the main story finally concluded all future content will be the product of lysergic acid diethylamide.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Mount & Blade Warband.

Directional Combat, Directional Blocking, Damage based on part hit, Equipment with specific values per body part, Damage based on speed or how long you hold the swing, Blunt/Pierce/Cut actually having a purpose, Gravity on ranged weapons and maybe more.

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I'm predictable, but for it is still WoW. If I could enjoy ARPGs anymore I'd be raiding. The crispness, the flood of dopamine rewards, and the sheer breadth of available mechanics is more than enough. However, one significant factor preventing me from moving on is simply the time invested already. Feels so silly playing anything else when I could go play that same toon in WoW.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Diablo 3. . . is Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is like the joke that keeps going, but the punchline is seemingly forever absent. Also fuck Star Metal Kukiri, while I do I put in around 100 hours every season, and have accumulated up to paragon 800, I have never seen an SMK drop.

ouch .. i do have a SMK though and my WD is not even my main :P Sorry .. i don't mean to gloat.

I am more or less skipping this season though (mostly because i don't like the wiz meta .. may be i will play a little).
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited May 2016

ouch .. i do have a SMK though and my WD is not even my main :P Sorry .. i don't mean to gloat.

I am more or less skipping this season though (mostly because i don't like the wiz meta .. may be i will play a little).
    LOL,I like WD in D3. Heck I like my Witch in POE.  But my E-Z mode D3 character is my Crusader.  In Grim Dawn I run a Warder.  Reminds me of Crusader with the right spec and gear.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Divine Divinity
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I had a lot of fun with Sacred 2.
    Forgrimm said:

Forgrimm said:
    I still play Sacred2 on my ps3;-D
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    edited May 2016
    moosecatlol said:
    Diablo 3. . . is Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is like the joke that keeps going, but the punchline is seemingly forever absent.
    Yer sort of....dumb...aren't you?

The game has been a blast since it came out. Like it or not...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I personally casually play Marvel Heroes 2016.  It's a fun ARPG/MMO and it's a fair f2p system.  The variety of heroes with each one basically being their own class brings a lot of replay value.  If you haven't played it yet, it's worth a look.  After all, it's free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I personally casually play Marvel Heroes 2016.  It's a fun ARPG/MMO and it's a fair f2p system.  The variety of heroes with each one basically being their own class brings a lot of replay value.  If you haven't played it yet, it's worth a look.  After all, it's free.
    Yes I did. They have a Civil War promotion, and if you log in (may be it ended now), it will give you a free Captain America, or a free Ironman. 
    Another great, but short indie ARPG is Victor Vran. You can wear a suit & a top hat fighting with a shotgun. It is a blast. 
    Another great, but short indie ARPG is Victor Vran. You can wear a suit & a top hat fighting with a shotgun. It is a blast. 
    I wondered about this game...thanks for the info

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    i got 2000+ hours in both marvel heroes and poe, never played grim dawn and i play diablo 3 at the beginning of each season and when there is nothing else to play (rarely for more than a week though, because it gets boring pretty fast).
    i still play poe everyday (gotta love earthquake ! it made melee somewhat viable) but i stopped playing marvel due to lack of time (and having all heroes red prestiged).
    i like all 3 of them but if i had to chose one over the others, i'd go for path of exile.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'd say:

1. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
    2. Grim Dawn
    3. Diablo 3
    Honorable Mention: Titan Quest

:)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited May 2016
    I would have added Diablo 2.  I have it on my main PC.  But I have played it since the early 2000's.  Great replay ability with different characters.  But after 100's of times going through it over the years.  Had to switch.

Surprised no one has mentioned Torchlight or Torchlight 2.
    xpowderx said:

because they are already a bit older than the other games being mentioned? (aside from Titanquest, of course).
    xpowderx said:

because they are already a bit older than the other games being mentioned? (aside from Titanquest, of course).
    Am I really that old!  I must be catching up to Wizardry!
    xpowderx said:
    xpowderx said:

lol .. i have not heard of that game for such a long time. 
    xpowderx said:
    xpowderx said:

Haha,im talking about our fellow forum user Wizardry ;-D
    xpowderx said:
    xpowderx said:
    xpowderx said:

Haha,im talking about our fellow forum user Wizardry ;-D
    lol .. my mistake. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

xpowderx said:
    I would have added Diablo 2.  I have it on my main PC.  But I have played it since the early 2000's.  Great replay ability with different characters.  But after 100's of times going through it over the years.  Had to switch.

Torchlight is a great game. Torchlight 2 for some reason just did not really click with me. I like all the mods to the game you can make through Steam but I always felt 'eh' about the game for some reason.
    Same here. Torchlight 1 was great. 2 I couldn't get into and is still somewhere in limbo in case I want to download it :D