Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community building for content?

How do you feel about unlocking content through public crafting?  Like building a bridge or portal to open up new lands by having the community put in time and resources to make it?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    No. I do not want my fun to depends on someone else. 
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    How do you feel about unlocking content through public crafting?  Like building a bridge or portal to open up new lands by having the community put in time and resources to make it?

I think that is a great idea. Just wow and kudos for thinking about it.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Do you realize the irony from a self-proclaimed non paying F2P player you do exactly that.  

You wouldn't want to contribute st all to a mmo experience? 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hmmm, interesting. You could even make it research based and have something civilization like where the game severs guilds/players could vote for unlocking new technology for the entire server with branches.

When I played Caveman2cosmos I decided to skip the napoleonic era and instead get knights and zeppelins as my bid for world domination, having servers to be able to make such choices would have some potential and could make interesting server Vs server PvP as well...

You do need some mechanics in place so that lesser populated servers can unlock your content though. Maybe having a variabel depending on how many accounts were online the last month to affect how much work the players need to put in to unlock something. Otherwise a low pop server would not build a single bridge (reasearch anything, unlock any race or whatever) while a high pop server would unlock it all fast.

You could also add it so certain things gets unlock when a group from the server first complete something really hard.
    Loke666 said:
    Hmmm, interesting. You could even make it research based and have something civilization like where the game severs guilds/players could vote for unlocking new technology for the entire server with branches.

When I played Caveman2cosmos I decided to skip the napoleonic era and instead get knights and zeppelins as my bid for world domination, having servers to be able to make such choices would have some potential and could make interesting server Vs server PvP as well...

You do need some mechanics in place so that lesser populated servers can unlock your content though. Maybe having a variabel depending on how many accounts were online the last month to affect how much work the players need to put in to unlock something. Otherwise a low pop server would not build a single bridge (reasearch anything, unlock any race or whatever) while a high pop server would unlock it all fast.

You could also add it so certain things gets unlock when a group from the server first complete something really hard.
    I know they were doing this with Horizons.  Not sure if the game it became went that route.  Always thought it would be cool to have mega projects in the genre.  

Even having old ruins overrun with monsters that have to be cleared before crafters can come in and rebuild it would be interesting.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Istaria used to do that.  Sometimes still does.  you had to build all the bridges actually.  Which unlocked the fae and satyr races.  They had to build their dungeon as  well. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Istaria used to do that.  Sometimes still does.  you had to build all the bridges actually.  Which unlocked the fae and satyr races.  They had to build their dungeon as  well. 
    Yeah that's the game Horizons became.  I always thought it was a good idea.  Wasn't sure of that made it in.  

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    A Tale in the Desert has a lot of this.  One down side of it is that unlocking particular things in particular places becomes the trendy thing to do, and people get mad at you if you want to do something else instead.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Yes  that why I am a die hard Chronicles of Elyria fan )))
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Do you realize the irony from a self-proclaimed non paying F2P player you do exactly that.  

You wouldn't want to contribute st all to a mmo experience? 
    Life is full on irony, isn't it? I do depends on whales to, in effect, enable the games to happen at all. I suppose the correct statement is

"no. i do not want my fun to depends on player interactions (i.e. creating content) inside games."

No. i do not play games to contribute to anything. I do that to be entertained. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I really dislike group crafting.  I really dislike group everything though, with the possible exception of dungeon runs.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I always advocate for things like building bridges and portals.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Some or a few games have already done stuff like that where the server unlocks,including my fave game of FFXi.
    I personally don't like it,i don't even like LOCKS,it is a non realistic design,it is nothing more than computer code designed to slow players down and force them to grind out some chore.

All i want from my mmorpg,is ideas i would expect to see in a role playing environment.Then i want to see those ideas done with depth,not just simple a+b=c.A prime example,i want to shoot a bow,but i darn well better see AMMO and i better be crafting that ammo,NOT some trash auto FAKE design like BDO tries to pull off.

If BDO designed this idea they would allow you to make bridges with no resources,just magically start building it.Oh and you don't even need be at your computer,just afk build it.That is the type of crap i do not want and will not accept,otherwise i could accept the idea if done properly even though i am not a fan of it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm all for anything that encourages the community to work together, so in essence, yes. 

LotRO did this on a couple of occasions iirc. Think the first time was to do with unlocking a new region before the release of the first expansion. Each server had to complete something before the zone unlocked (500 or 1000 handins / quests completed). Any server that failed to unlock it got it auto-unlocked when xpac released. Second time was to unlock a single boss raid.

In both cases, I don't think I bothered participating much. The tasks we were required to do were boring which is my primary reason for not participating, but also didn't really care much about competing against other servers.

However, make the activity fun or the unlock worthwhile and I'm there. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'm all for anything that encourages the community to work together, so in essence, yes. 

LotRO did this on a couple of occasions iirc.
    Yep, it was my first thought as well. Lat time they did it was the Bounder bounty event.
    In it the hobbits wanted to replace the old statue in Michel Delving, and they asked the players to gather bounties and offer them for the cause. Or not, since bounty was also a barter currency for cool stuff, like the Universal crafting tool. It ended up as a race between servers, who will hit the mark first :wink:  (not me, I'm greedy and I liked the old statue more, anyways :lol: )

A similar event (though meta, outside the game) was the recent Shadwen demo. Every playthrough of the demo lowered the launch price by a tiny amount, and it only lasted for a weekend. During the weekend, the players lowered the launch price to 14.5 bucks (from the starter 35 I think)

On a smaller scale, organised // coordinated guild crafting? Like building a guild city in AoC.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Stuff like this, in the right sort of game, would be an excellent idea. 

I would go a step farther and say that research and development could also be group activities. You character uses a dagger and there are a lot of dagger users in your area and so more advanced dagger skills become available to you and others in your area quicker then in another area where they spend their time using the sword. This could also apply to making daggers so if you want the highest quality dagger to be made not only would you need to find the area where daggers are made but look for the best dagger maker in the area. 

That is why I am watching COE closely as it seems a lot of these idea's are being thought about. Not spent any money yet but I am very tempted. 
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    If memory serves me well - Istaria did it.
    For me, it is an excellent idea. A chance to gather community. To tell: well, behind The Great Sea of Madness there is settlement of Dragons. if you build a special bridge (requiring all sorts of crafters) - Dragons would become friendly and available as a playable race.
    As Po_gg mentioned - Lotro had Bounders Bounty, some kind of crfating event too.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited May 2016
    I would go a step farther and say that research and development could also be group activities.
    TSW's ARG sessions before launch (and also after, in the first year) was something like that, a large community from around the world working together for solving puzzles, finding clues, etc.
    Most puzzles required a lot of different skillsets and abilities, so group effort was necessary. (Unless you know a dozen languages, math, has audio and video editing skills, etc. etc. :lol: )

For some extent the investigation mission walkthroughs are similar, at launch the community puts their heads together, solve the mission ("makes the bridge"), then put it online for those who doesn't want the hassle, or simply doesn't like the puzzle aspect of TSW ("opening the bridge to all").
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I like most anything that encourages people to do things together. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests