Guild Wars Came Out 11 Years Ago Today

blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
So Today marks the 11 year anniversary of Guild Wars.  April 26th 2005 Guild Wars came out and presented a really challenge to how MMOs are played. 

A marketing summary:

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder. You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

I think GW was and is one of the best online RPGs to ever come out. What are your thoughts? Did you love the game? Have you ever played it?

Regardless of what people think about the game(s) Guild Wars will always be placed in history as one of the most successful online RPGs to ever grace a computer screen.

Happy Birthday Guild Wars!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,729
    I still love and play this game. When and if they ever decide to shutter official servers I hope they have a plan for locally hosted servers. I would purchase a server package so my family, friends, and myself can still play together.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • vomomotovomomoto Member UncommonPosts: 51
    They need to host a sale. I would actually log back in and buy more merc slots so I can have all my chars as mercs lol.
  • ComanComan Hattem, AKMember UncommonPosts: 2,168
    edited April 2016
    An we are still discussing what an MMO is and whatever game X is an MMO. Seems like nothing change on MMORPG.com in 11 years :pleased: 

Edit: Damn.....realised I am getting old :anguished: 
    Post edited by Coman on
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    Torval said:
    I still love and play this game. When and if they ever decide to shutter official servers I hope they have a plan for locally hosted servers. I would purchase a server package so my family, friends, and myself can still play together.
    Agreed. Eye of the North remains one of my favorite expansion to an MMO. Almost everything they did with that game was perfect. Great PvE content and great PvP content and they bucked convention at the time and made a game unlike any other. Classic for sure. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,729
    What I find fascinating about the PvE content is how mobs mostly use the same skills as players which is kind of like training for the pvp area. EotN and Factions are my favorites, but not by much.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    Torval said:
    What I find fascinating about the PvE content is how mobs mostly use the same skills as players which is kind of like training for the pvp area. EotN and Factions are my favorites, but not by much.
    Yeah the PvE content isstill some of the best in an online RPG. I love the PvP in GW much more than GW2. Factions is awesome!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ElalandElaland Lake Charles, LAMember UncommonPosts: 17
    GW was my first MMO love.  I enjoyed taking every profession through every campaign, setup a guild and guild hall for my wife,  grandkids, and other family.  I still keep screen captures of my wife and I with one of my grandsons playing in game.  I know I'm spoiled now with the improved graphics quality of newer games, but GW was great for its time (I was awestruck the first time I saw the Jade Sea).  The game has so many nice features - the best beginner area I've seen to date, the good cut scenes with your characters in them (way before Bioware's SWTOR came out), pets that you could name, the endless tinkering with skill builds, earning reputation to get that cool looking armor you wanted, good story lines, the fun of getting a rare black or white dye, and the various holidays - especially listening to the bad jokes of Mad King Thorn for Halloween.  Too many fun features to count.  Definitely good times.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp knob noster, MOMember UncommonPosts: 119
    Man I'm old :/
  • ceratop001ceratop001 canyon lake, CAMember RarePosts: 1,247
    Sadly everything good about gaming seems to be a distant memory...I wish I could find a game that could capture my imagination and motivate me to play on a consistent basis like guilds wars did back in the day.

• ElalandElaland Lake Charles, LAMember UncommonPosts: 17
    Maybe the VR interest can go retro and redo some of our old favorites!  That could be fun all over again.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,959
    Wow, has it really been that long.  I had a lot of fun playing that game and the expansions.  I even returned for a short while to get some legacy items for GW2 that I was very close to getting but just never did.  I still have it installed so will have to login and take a look around.

"Change is the only constant."