Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial Kickstarter Tiers from IRC

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    3 month head start for 120 minimum in a full loot PvP game sure is....

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    How about a 13 year head start in a full loot PVP game? 

Eve seems to be doing well...
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited May 2016
    Vucar said:

Sure its doing so well they had to add the ability to sell skills to help new players wanting to play. 

Besides I was under the impression they were not going for a Eve like game and community.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Vucar said:

EvE was a one off game.  Same exact argument was made by Ryan Dancey for not wiping his Early Enrollment phase in Pathfinder Online.  He was actually from CCP and PFO very strongly resembled EVE in a fantasy game.  How'd that turn out?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Vucar said:

EvE was a one off game.  Same exact argument was made by Ryan Dancey for not wiping his Early Enrollment phase in Pathfinder Online.  He was actually from CCP and PFO very strongly resembled EVE in a fantasy game.  How'd that turn out?
    What did that "failure" have to do with a head-start phase though?, by all accounts the game itself was garbage anyway... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:

Sure its doing so well they had to add the ability to sell skills to help new players wanting to play. 

Besides I was under the impression they were not going for a Eve like game and community.
    Just using it to draw the comparison of open world sandboxes where players can join at any point in the game's lifespan and there will always be people who got there before them, have done something before them, or got to some deep part of the game world and claimed it first, etc. 

But then you have alliances and wars and those people who claimed the north pole lose their claim, sometimes to people who started the game long after them. The nature of a sandbox is that the sandbox can change

Its not a game-breaking feature and yet so many people seem convinced its "p2w".
    edited May 2016
    Vucar said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:

Just using it to draw the comparison of open world sandboxes where players can join at any point in the game's lifespan and there will always be people who got there before them, have done something before them, or got to some deep part of the game world and claimed it first, etc. 

But then you have alliances and wars and those people who claimed the north pole lose their claim, sometimes to people who started the game long after them. The nature of a sandbox is that the sandbox can change

Its not a game-breaking feature and yet so many people seem convinced its "p2w".
    I know what a sandbox is and how it goes. 

The soul system as described though sounds very much like TRing in ddo.  People that start playing ddo now will not catch up to those that have triple completionist etc etc and it has nothing to do with being a sandbox or themepark.

That said the only point I am saying is that I think you guys are underplaying the significance having "past lives" will have on the game. 

From CoE themselves, "Thus, going through your complete lifecycle, dying, and being reborn will be how your character will progress. This will also allow new players to enter CoE without feel liking they are too late to the game and can never catch up to other players, which commonly occurs in many MMORPGs."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Anging-and-Dying/4758-An-Overview-of-Death-and-the-Business-Model

I think this statement they have made is kind of contradictory as on the one had they say this "how your character will progress" yet then claim it will allow new play to avoid playing catch up. 

It has no logic..if you progress by going through a life cycle which then allows you to learn the same skills faster thus allowing to become more proficient by learning more specialized or simply more skills the only way for a new player to catch up is to go through the those lives too.

Sure in many mmos you have to play catch up but it's not as bad as you guys make it sound, generally hitting level cap isn't that hard nowadays and then for gear grind well you simply skip to the new best in slot.....frankly its far easier to "catch up" in most mmos than say in DDO where you have min/max builds using 36pt builds with triple completionist and XY epic past lives... and tbh the soul system sounds a whole lot like True/Epic reincarnation from ddo.

I am not saying this is the end of the world either but I am not buying the whole you wont have to play catch up in CoE.

I would like to back CoE I think it has some good idea  BUT no one is going to make me believe a 3 month head start is no friggin big deal in a game that has open pvp. 

In 3 months people will have had all that time to work on getting stronger via gear, communities/families/guilds, learning the ropes of the mechanics of the game and even building up their towns/villages defensive and offensive capabilities.

I don't see the point of backing now, at any price point under the 120$ mark to start 3 months after other KS backers like someone that never backed them period so for me it either back at 120$ mark or not at all and since I am not willing to back that much...I will wait and try it free. 

I am sure there will be plenty others that will feel like I do, it doesn't even really matter if I am right or wrong as its a psychological thing, though I do think I'm right about the head start.

Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:

I know what a sandbox is and how it goes. 

The soul system as described though sounds very much like TRing in ddo.  People that start playing ddo now will not catch up to those that have triple completionist etc etc and it has nothing to do with being a sandbox or themepark.

That said the only point I am saying is that I think you guys are underplaying the significance having "past lives" will have on the game. 

I'm gonna stop you right there because I don't think you're aware of one planned feature Caspian discussed briefly in the past - as the game progresses in its lifespan, as I understand it, there will be a higher chance for new-comers to the game to create an account that starts with an "old" soul that contains multiple past lives.

When you begin the game, you pick one of several souls to put your spark into. Maybe they have no past lives, maybe they have 3. Considering it might take 10-12 real life months for an entire lifetime to pass, starting the game with a soul that has multiple past lives is not missing out on any perceived opportunity for progress.

But even then -- having a soul with multiple past lives only gives a minor advantage in returning to that player's previous skill level in their respective profession. Its not like everyone is racing to hit 50 and old players will always get there faster. New players, who are good at combat, will be better than old players, on old characters with multiple lives if the long-time player isn't good at combat.

Player skill matters. Its not just about the character, or their past lives.
    Vucar said:
    ...snip...

I'm gonna stop you right there because I don't think you're aware of one planned feature Caspian discussed briefly in the past - as the game progresses in its lifespan, as I understand it, there will be a higher chance for new-comers to the game to create an account that starts with an "old" soul that contains multiple past lives.

When you begin the game, you pick one of several souls to put your spark into. Maybe they have no past lives, maybe they have 3. Considering it might take 10-12 real life months for an entire lifetime to pass, starting the game with a soul that has multiple past lives is not missing out on any perceived opportunity for progress.

But even then -- having a soul with multiple past lives only gives a minor advantage in returning to that player's previous skill level in their respective profession. Its not like everyone is racing to hit 50 and old players will always get there faster. New players, who are good at combat, will be better than old players, on old characters with multiple lives if the long-time player isn't good at combat.

Yes I know about that but I say baloney, two players of equal skill and it will come down to gear and past lives.

Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:
    ...snip...

Yes I know about that but I say baloney, two players of equal skill and it will come down to gear and past lives.
    Two players of equal skill will come down to gear and character development.

If Bob has 1 past life as a swordsman and Sarah has 3 past lives as a swordswoman, but Bob has twice the free time as Sarah and spends all of his time training, Bob's character becomes more developed than Sarah and Sarah's extra past lives don't help her.

Past lives may help someone return to their previous character development stage, but it won't necessarily help much more than that.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Head Start will be for testing the game bugs and griefs in first months .....I see no problem with that ^_^ I used to but I don't care I just want CoE to turn into a big success and by doing so giving a New Life to all mmorpg Genre . Who knows if CoE succeeds maybe Blizzard will stop making their same old repeatable expansion maybe we will have a chance to see WOW.2 in a new light and many other games but on a complete new lvl of MMORPG
    edited May 2016
    Vucar said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Vucar said:
    ...snip...

Two players of equal skill will come down to gear and character development.

If Bob has 1 past life as a swordsman and Sarah has 3 past lives as a swordswoman, but Bob has twice the free time as Sarah and spends all of his time training, Bob's character becomes more developed than Sarah and Sarah's extra past lives don't help her.

Past lives may help someone return to their previous character development stage, but it won't necessarily help much more than that.
    Your mincing words here but managed to trick yourself.   If bob has more time ofc he will have a more developed character..that's what I have been saying while you guys have been adamantly saying this is not true...lol

Again use logic and compare apples to apples not oranges. If bob and sarah both have the same skill level, the same time put in game have the same "builds" with only gear or PL being different I say the one with better gear or PL or both, based on what they are competing on, will "win" or have the advantage.

You have just flat out admitted time ( 3 month headstart) will give someone a huge advantage here.

I don't see the problem, no game is perfect so why not just admit that a 3 month head start will give peeps an advantage,  you all seem to lack faith in the rest of the game ideas and seem to think admitting this will sink the game somehow.

@MikePaladin

No.  Alphas and betas are for testing bug and finding exploits so they can be fixed.  From what I gather they claim the head start is for getting "in game infrastructure" up and running before the "masses" come in. Dunno why they seem to think we can't all get the "infrastructure" up and running together and why they feel the need to limit it to those that fork out 120$+ unless....

I think it more for squeezing people for money by selling an "edge" or advantage if you will. 

edited May 2016
    Asm0deus 
    It was a joke but in pre release often are many grifs exploits and many feature don't work well ....look back at ESO release or to Gw2 broken release or ArcheAge BDO with extreme exploits ....in 3 months this will be polished and work  like a charm
    Even ARK Survival being so polished and working like a champ was very unbalanced until recently after patch that adjusted dino stats PVP became more fair and new people with crossbow and rifle now stand a chance unlike before

right now there are like 1k players with head Start ....this is nothing compared to what game should be  from PVP point of view "Caspian mentioned many time that they want you to be carefully with your actions", huge world and Server capacity .

You will be extremely lucky to meet one of these guys Except those 2 Kings with 10k pledge and few  and nobles . They also will be  charged a lot to stay in game because Legendary players have less life spawn significantly less

Asm0deus 
    It was a joke but in pre release often are many grifs exploits and many feature don't work well ....look back at ESO release or to Gw2 broken release or ArcheAge BDO with extreme exploits ....in 3 months this will be polished and work  like a charm

right now there are like 1k players with head Start ....this is nothing compared to what game should be  from PVP point of view, huge world and Server capacity .

You will be extremely lucky to meet one of these guys Except those 2 Kings with 10k pledge and few  and nobles . They also will be  charged a lot to stay in game because Legendary players have less life spawn significantly less

Sure that may be true, hopefully though COE will do alpha and beta properly unlike many games which do not fix all that much in those phases and wait till live release and for huge outcrys from the public before doing anything.

Also I am not saying headstart will doom the game but I dislike it when people try to blow marketing smoke up my behind.

open world pvp game
    finite resources
    etc etc

Pretty sure headstart will matter in the short term when "factions" will be establishing themselves.  Pretty sure some factions will be well established when the masses enter 3 months later and pretty sure many of these masses will just join or die so to speak.

Dunno how anyone can claim the head start will give only a "negligible" advantage...lol

Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus 

right now there are like 1k players with head Start ....this is nothing compared to what game should be  from PVP point of view, huge world and Server capacity .

Sure that may be true, hopefully though COE will do alpha and beta properly unlike many games which do not fix all that much in those phases and wait till live release and for huge outcrys from the public before doing anything.

Also I am not saying headstart will doom the game but I dislike it when people try to blow marketing smoke up my behind.

open world pvp game
    finite resources
    etc etc

Pretty sure headstart will matter in the short term when "factions" will be establishing themselves.  Pretty sure some factions will be well established when the masses enter 3 months later and pretty sure many of these masses will just join or die so to speak.

Dunno how anyone can claim the head start will give only a "negligible" advantage...lol

Don't bother much  Progression in CoE will not be like in WOW
    lvl 1     100 hp
    lvl 100  300k hp
    Also Dodge parry Block will play a huge role in fighting .
    And then many people start playing after release.
    Plus number of people with head start is very low very low!!
    If this will help COE get more funding so be it .....that's better than game not happening at all right? ^^
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited May 2016
    I was going ot write a whole spiel about how a 3 month headstart is an incredibly bad idea. But then I read this and realized it was basically a game breaking idea...

Fearless in its design, it embraces a character's ability to impact other characters. A closed economy, finite resources, non-repeatable quests, and a fully destructible environment means the world is experienced differently for every character.

How is it not gamebreaking if there are only x amount of resources on the map and at the end of 3 months, 60% (probably more) have already been harvested? Then add that to the 'closed' economy and its makes it doubly so. Want to be a miner? Says you can, says you can be anything you want. Well its hard to be a miner when every scrap of (finite) ore in the game has already been collected.

Hey I like the concept I like what they think they can do but a 3 month head start in a game like this and the stuff they have said about it just wont work. 

And dont come in and say "well on hard launch they can just restock the resources'' I will let all the geniuses riddle out why that just makes it worse.
    rodarin said:
    I was going ot write a whole spiel about how a 3 month headstart is an incredibly bad idea. But then I read this and realized it was basically a game breaking idea...

Fearless in its design, it embraces a character's ability to impact other characters. A closed economy, finite resources, non-repeatable quests, and a fully destructible environment means the world is experienced differently for every character.

How is it not gamebreaking if there are only x amount of resources on the map and at the end of 3 months, 60% (probably more) have already been harvested? Then add that to the 'closed' economy and its makes it doubly so. Want to be a miner? Says you can, says you can be anything you want. Well its hard to be a miner when every scrap of (finite) ore in the game has already been collected.

Hey I like the concept I like what they think they can do but a 3 month head start in a game like this and the stuff they have said about it just wont work. 

And dont come in and say "well on hard launch they can just restock the resources'' I will let all the geniuses riddle out why that just makes it worse.
    Again, if people are screwed by joining 3 months in there's no hope for this game at all (regardless of head-starts). Like your mining example, in SWG this was never an issue, when a person found a stake in that game, they kept it for as long as they maintained their factories and equipment. That never stopped other "miners" in their tracks, even considering excavation space was "finite". 

Finite or not it's a matter of being at least close to accurate in estimating how much space you will need to accommodate the player base as a whole. A failure to accommodate is a design failure, it would be an issue regardless of when people are starting. 

Also they don't need to "restock" resources, as with any game of this sort resources would be organic, meaning while one node dries up another forms elsewhere. That would have to be the case for a persistent world. Otherwise being a miner would only be viable at the start of the game, now what bit of sense would that make? 

edited May 2016
    Distopia said:

Also they don't need to "restock" resources, as with any game of this sort resources would be organic, meaning while one node dries up another forms elsewhere. That would have to be the case for a persistent world. Otherwise being a miner would only be viable at the start of the game, now what bit of sense would that make? 

Thats not anyones definition of "finite'. If that is the case they better clarify it but I dont think they will. I believe they are saying there is a hard cap on resources and once those are all gone theyre gone. Now they can have recycling to reintroduce raw materials but it still doesnt change the fact those raw materials stop being available in the open world.
    rodarin said:
    Distopia said:

Thats not anyones definition of "finite'. If that is the case they better clarify it but I dont think they will. I believe they are saying there is a hard cap on resources and once those are all gone theyre gone. Now they can have recycling to reintroduce raw materials but it still doesnt change the fact those raw materials stop being available in the open world.
    How would that work for a persistent living world? I'd assume when they say a resource is finite they'd mean per spawn, rather than a recurring spawn, or for rare material. Anything else would be a serious flaw in regard to an ongoing world.  

This could work for rarer resources as long as new ones are introduced periodically to keep some balance of power moving forward. Even then quantities have to be balanced toward potential population size. That said, rare is rare, so if this is in regard to that, that makes sense.

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Distopia said:
    How would that work for a persistent living world? I'd assume when they say a resource is finite they'd mean per spawn, rather than a recurring spawn, or for rare material. Anything else would be a serious flaw in regard to an ongoing world.  

This could work for rarer resources as long as new ones are introduced periodically to keep some balance of power moving forward. Even then quantities have to be balanced toward potential population size. That said, rare is rare, so if this is in regard to that, that makes sense.
    If the Guild of Wappy mines all of the iron out of Tatooine.  Then Tatooine no longer has iron.  You will then have to go to Hoth to look for iron.

That is precisely how this game has been billed since day 1.
    They said if you will go on rampage on some Mobs example flesh  eating rabbits than they will go completely extinct . Maybe they meant this and finite resources. ? If we will kill all population of flesh eating rabbits we won't have ingredient to make Stew from Flash eating rabbit ?

With BicycleWalrus  they given such an example that you can plant your trees and one day when you go cut them one of them might talk to you and this would Unlock a trait  and story line . So possible we can renew some resources we can plant plants for sure I think trees too . Maybe same with ore maybe it's not finite ?
    Maybe by finite they meant Wield life like  fur , or bone of different animals and so on.
    We know for sure we can grow plants so it's not a finite resource .
    Also we know for sure we can make a kind of population go extinct which means their loot like Fur pelts   bones  or teeth would be a finite resource .

Any way if those 3 month will have a huge impact on Server community might just demand a new server for release .

They mentioned many times that there will be different servers and all of them will end up differently and Caspian said he would play more than one to see different outcomes .
    Will see but I would not panic .....
    If you founded lay on back and wait for Dream MMO to come true .^ ^
  • jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Resources like iron are finite. All iron will be in game at launch, no will spawn later on. Items made out of iron will decay and the iron will be recycled. Resources like trees and animals are less finite, they won't respawn, but saplings grow into big trees and animals reproduce.
    jozeph said:
    Resources like iron are finite. All iron will be in game at launch, no will spawn later on. Items made out of iron will decay and the iron will be recycled. Resources like trees and animals are less finite, they won't respawn, but saplings grow into big trees and animals reproduce.
    If ore won't be 100% recycled at some point every one will run around in Leather Armor LOL
    Yeah obviously you will be able to breed animals and replant vegetation but ore is most definitely the most glaring issue and thus why I used it.

It is in fact a fatal flaw. Now some might say I am being hyer technical but not really. The simplistic example of not being able to be a miner after a certain period of time basically countermands their whole manifesto. Now that might take months or years to happen but it will eventually happen.

Of course they could always add stuff on the sly and make it out like it has always been there, that would depend on the world size and how diligent people are at searching every nook an cranny for stuff. But on the surface finite (non naturally recurring or man manipulated) resources to me is a completely game breaking issue.
  • garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343
    rodarin said:
    Yeah obviously you will be able to breed animals and replant vegetation but ore is most definitely the most glaring issue and thus why I used it.

It is in fact a fatal flaw. Now some might say I am being hyer technical but not really. The simplistic example of not being able to be a miner after a certain period of time basically countermands their whole manifesto. Now that might take months or years to happen but it will eventually happen.

Of course they could always add stuff on the sly and make it out like it has always been there, that would depend on the world size and how diligent people are at searching every nook an cranny for stuff. But on the surface finite (non naturally recurring or man manipulated) resources to me is a completely game breaking issue.
    All we would need is an iron meteor to fall...then we would have our resource to fight over.  :pleased: