Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial Kickstarter Tiers from IRC

Comments

• Hellmoon1500Hellmoon1500 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I remember his discussions here.  I wish him well.  I really think they may need to take into consideration those who are dedicated gamers but are not part of the core player group.  When the game launches they will come flooding in and adjustments usually have to be made.  Perhaps a link to surveys to get a feel for casual players reactions and thoughts.  

It's just a feeling I have.  I've notice a lot of new games run into this and feel the need to mention it in advance, just as I often feel the need to ask what is being done about gold sellers and botters, everyone knows they will come but most give it a low priority and don't even consider it at all until it becomes a problem.
    Unfortunately, issues like gold sellers and botters just need to be answered once there's something to test which is why it's probably given low priority in pre/alpha/beta...both more commonly occur on release when the game is available to everyone and there's more to gain.

Along the lines of gold sellers though, people have already theorized that there will probably still be some at the start of the game looking to make a quick buck but they are probably going to be different compared to other games (and have a much harder time).

Since there won't be an in-game general chat where anyone in the world can reached and gold isn't the only currency (many expect bartering to be far more common early-game as money has to be minted and circulated), plus the fact that a person can be killed or knocked out just about  everywhere - what's to stop a player from figuring out who is selling gold, getting a group of friends together and stealing that money from the gold seller instead of paying for it. Risk is huge in COE and gold sellers & botters will have equal if not higher risk in the game. In other games, players see a person, maybe even record a video of someone botting/cheating, and then they have to leave it up to the developers to do something about it...at least in COE the players have some power to see someone cheating, spread the word, and have some effect on that player - whether that's hunting them down, not selling things to them, not performing any sort of trade with them, or banishing them from a town/village. 
    Tekkon
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Since there won't be an in-game general chat where anyone in the world can reached and gold isn't the only currency (many expect bartering to be far more common early-game as money has to be minted and circulated), plus the fact that a person can be killed or knocked out just about  everywhere - what's to stop a player from figuring out who is selling gold, getting a group of friends together and stealing that money from the gold seller instead of paying for it. Risk is huge in COE and gold sellers & botters will have equal if not higher risk in the game. In other games, players see a person, maybe even record a video of someone botting/cheating, and then they have to leave it up to the developers to do something about it...at least in COE the players have some power to see someone cheating, spread the word, and have some effect on that player - whether that's hunting them down, not selling things to them, not performing any sort of trade with them, or banishing them from a town/village. 
    I think this concept is being overly inflated by CoEites.

The game isn't far enough along to have this be anything but pie in the sky dreams.
    Tekkon
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    OP was 100% spot on in his assessments of Pathfinder Online, another open world pvp type MMO.  I think I'll defer to his judgments and opinions of this game rather than the rabid fanboys at this point in time.

There's some really, really salty people in this thread.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Hellmoon1500Hellmoon1500 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I think this concept is being overly inflated by CoEites.

The game isn't far enough along to have this be anything but pie in the sky dreams.
    Exactly, which is why I said that it's low priority to the post I was quoting. It's all theories until there's something concrete to test.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    It's interesting how SP made its way from Revival into CoE now. They will be needed for a different purpose but the principle of how to obtain those points will be the same.

Professional organised gold sellers might leave CoE alone. On the other hand, it is still likely that some people will fill that role by selling stuff from the game on third party websites or even inside the game if it is not monitored by game masters. I predict this will become a way for some people to get money for renewal of their sparks of life. One way or another, there will always be "whales", even in games like CoE. I have seen this before even in games with no bots or gold sellers.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Ginaz said:
    OP was 100% spot on in his assessments of Pathfinder Online, another open world pvp type MMO.  I think I'll defer to his judgments and opinions of this game rather than the rabid fanboys at this point in time.

There's some really, really salty people in this thread.
    To be clear I am not suggesting these guys are PFO2 (yet at least..) but I do think they have overly ambitious plans and I do think they need to be open to commentary from beyond the echo chamber.  The Kickstarter is the first test as far as I am concerned.   If they really launch with a promise that donors of a certain level can play the game with no wipe for 3 months before everyone else joins... that would be a bad sign because that is very MUCH like PFO

We will see...

23 hours to go!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Nice to see your counting down more than the rest of us
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Maric said:

It comes down to this... if you want a different kind of game made, you need a different sort of team working on it. Going back to the same people over and over again to make your games is only going to result in the same games being re-made multiple times.

This.  1000x this.  While OP would rather troll and attempt to cause doubt in an effort to sway potential backers, people are sick of playing the same damn MMORPG year after year.  

This dev, to their credit, is attempting to offer something different for the genre.  Not only that, they are coming to Kickstarter with much more than a proof of concept.  Soulbound has produced design documents, well fleshed out systems, Lore, a playable combat system, aging system overview, etc.  

Looking back at like Kickstarters, many failed because they had no where near this amount of content up front.  Pantheon, had it had the demo it displayed a month or so back, would have funded.  You have exceptions like Camelot Unchained that funded on concepts alone for $2 milion (no disrespect to Mark Jacobs.  I backed the project bigtime based on his reputation and prior games).  

My point is, based on what Walsh and Soulbound have shown, I'd be shocked if this Kickstarter isn't funded.  They have provided enough material, both in concept and demonstrative, tangible gameplay, that unless something about the design turns people off, CoE will get the backer support it needs.  I mean, look how much money people threw at Ryan Dancey's Pathfinder game.  And it looked horrible from the start.

Good luck Walsh I hope you make your goal.
    Kudos to you sir .
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Backed Camelot Unchained heavily and likely will buy a few warrior packs for a couple friends , good chance will do the same here , the side bonus is seeing the rage from peasants without large amounts of disposable income who worry about those of us who do have it spending it however we want.

To some people 150 dollars isn't even covering dinner out for the family , dinner and movie is over 250 easy ,chump change for entertainment I enjoy.

(hopefully Pantheon will prove to me worth it to back also)
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dahkoht said:
     the side bonus is seeing the rage from peasants without large amounts of disposable income 
    People like you are reason enough for me never to support any pay to win kickstarters like this one.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited May 2016
    Dahkoht said:
    Backed Camelot Unchained heavily and likely will buy a few warrior packs for a couple friends , good chance will do the same here , the side bonus is seeing the rage from peasants without large amounts of disposable income who worry about those of us who do have it spending it however we want.

To some people 150 dollars isn't even covering dinner out for the family , dinner and movie is over 250 easy ,chump change for entertainment I enjoy.

(hopefully Pantheon will prove to me worth it to back also)
    This is called being out of touch with reality when it comes to the middle class, 250 for supper at the restaurant and a movie...lol

2 adults and one child/teen = 100/120 cad  and you have a really good meal at a nice restaurant (no fast food joints here) and with wine.

3 people at movies 30/40$ max.

Sometimes I think people don't know the value of the food they are eating and feel privileged to eat small dainty plates and be served by snotty waiters in tuxes and then think they had fair value for the meal that left them hungry.

Which sadly seems to lead them to have weird ideas on what pixels are worth, not to wonder why SC made 100mil.  This kind of reasoning is why crowdfunding is starting to have a bad name.

I was in the Pathfinder alpha and this attitude was prevalent and even made some of us  leave their forums as these "reasonable" people made it clear how little our input was "worth" and look how that failed miserably.  Niche games like this can't count on a few whales to float the boat it wont work or very very very rarely does, same thing for Revival.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:

I was in the Pathfinder alpha and this attitude was prevalent and even made some of us  leave their forums as these "reasonable" people made it clear how little our input was "worth" and look how that failed miserably.  

This is all that I have been trying to warn about but the diehards always take it as a personal attack.  Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  The echo-chamber crew always does more damage to a game than some random internet "troll"...

It is known...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Dakeru said:
    Dahkoht said:
     the side bonus is seeing the rage from peasants without large amounts of disposable income 
    People like you are reason enough for me never to support any pay to win kickstarters like this one.
    This isn't a pay to win kickstarter. All the kickstarter offers is a quicker way to get housing and stuff. 

If you actually consider that I'm looking at the village package not for me solo but for my guild as well, this is just to help us establish a home where we can start the game.

Will I lock starting there in one of the Npc families to my guild? No

Pay to win is paying for something that gives you and unfair advantage against other players that you can not lose this game doesn't offer you this.
    Even if you got the relic item from the ks you can lose that item which even if it was pay to win, those 3 players that just jumped you now have your relic item. Also who says that relic would be a combat item? It may be house decoration 
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    As was stated before, the tiers had already been updated by the time the "leak" happened. Wait until tomorrow to check out the latest tiers. I suspect people will be pleasantly surprised.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    edited May 2016
    Caspian I might be surprised but I was always doting a set amount and that won't change no matter what I get.
    Just if I get more than I previously thought brilliant.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    As was stated before, the tiers had already been updated by the time the "leak" happened. Wait until tomorrow to check out the latest tiers. I suspect people will be pleasantly surprised.
     B)  B) B) 

Yahoooooooooo!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Caspian I might be surprised but I was always doting a set amount and that won't change no matter what I get.

I just hope that slapshots ego doesn't make him think he made you change things
    Hence the words..by the time the leak happened. Which means his information was already outdated by the time he hit the Post Comment button on this site.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

whilan said:

I just hope that slapshots ego doesn't make him think he made you change things
    Hence the words..by the time the leak happened. Which means his information was already outdated by the time he hit the Post Comment button on this site.
    Yes I know that's why I said " hope slapshots ego doesn't make him think he changed things" when caspian posted. I saw that he had put that
    Combat looks fun. I noticed a new combat video was uploaded on Youtube today.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yanocchi said:

LOL looks exactly like the setting in Princess Bride where Roberts and Inigo dueled.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Yanocchi said:

LOL looks exactly like the setting in Princess Bride where Roberts and Inigo dueled.
    It has to be a conspiracy! :mrgreen: So many other similarities and now this revelation. Main developer of Revival, Adam Maxwell, used to make a lot of examples with Princess Bride too. 

It is from the princess bride.
    Was confirmed in irc
    edited May 2016
    Did not see the 3 month head start with no wipe. Glad to see the developer listened to reason. 

Still think 900k is high,  We shall see!!

edit: never mind saw the 3 month headstart oh well

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Did not see the 3 month head start with no wipe. Glad to see the developer listened to reason. 

It's a huge advantage 3 month headstart....lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Asm0deus said:

It's a huge advantage 3 month headstart....lol
    Headstart is P2W yo...
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240