Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you try out free fly week? Star Citizen

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    DKLond said:
    rodarin said:
    rodarin said:
    I gave this awhile to simmer, but after about 12 hours 18 people answered the poll. How many Citizens are they bragging about again? Yeah I know its a poll on a single forum and no one checks the forums. If that were the case then why is their number one PR guy posting here nonstop?

Either way its hilarious the way these guys throw these numbers around because if it didnt have so much hype the past 5 years most people would swear no one gave a shit about this game at all. The videos getting a couple hundred views and the polls getting 20-25 responses, and the same 5 or 6 people in every topic that pertains to SC basically.
    So basically this was a troll post....got it.
    Not hardly its simply pointing out that for a game that has been praised the way this one is getting almost zero attention these days.

You can spin it all you want but Twitch streams are empty (what view guys even bother) and from wathinc those few it seems like the 'alpha' is pretty empty as well. 

I commented on it during the time this fly free deal was going on. Prime time (as in pretty much prime time everywhere) there seemed to be no one playing or watching this game, despite there also being a patch.

If this weekend even had HUNDREDS (let alone the thousands a truly anticipated game would have) the pro camp would be chirping about it non stop and the CiG fun bunch would have a special video presentation hyping how many 'citizens' were enjoying the game pre release.

I think there are more people playing DayZ and that game is a complete disaster.
    I recently made a poll over in the World of Warcraft subsection - and 3 people answered it over the course of 3 days.

I guess that means WoW isn't really being played anymore, right?

But I'm glad to see yet another example of detractor-logic being destroyed utterly by reality.
    He said twitch streams are empty, not he made some shitty post on mmorpg.com forums and didn't get a turnout.

Twitch, like it or not, is indicative of how much interest there is in a game.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited April 2016
    Sephiroso said:
    DKLond said:
    rodarin said:
    rodarin said:
    I gave this awhile to simmer, but after about 12 hours 18 people answered the poll. How many Citizens are they bragging about again? Yeah I know its a poll on a single forum and no one checks the forums. If that were the case then why is their number one PR guy posting here nonstop?

Either way its hilarious the way these guys throw these numbers around because if it didnt have so much hype the past 5 years most people would swear no one gave a shit about this game at all. The videos getting a couple hundred views and the polls getting 20-25 responses, and the same 5 or 6 people in every topic that pertains to SC basically.
    So basically this was a troll post....got it.
    Not hardly its simply pointing out that for a game that has been praised the way this one is getting almost zero attention these days.

You can spin it all you want but Twitch streams are empty (what view guys even bother) and from wathinc those few it seems like the 'alpha' is pretty empty as well. 

I commented on it during the time this fly free deal was going on. Prime time (as in pretty much prime time everywhere) there seemed to be no one playing or watching this game, despite there also being a patch.

If this weekend even had HUNDREDS (let alone the thousands a truly anticipated game would have) the pro camp would be chirping about it non stop and the CiG fun bunch would have a special video presentation hyping how many 'citizens' were enjoying the game pre release.

I think there are more people playing DayZ and that game is a complete disaster.
    I recently made a poll over in the World of Warcraft subsection - and 3 people answered it over the course of 3 days.

I guess that means WoW isn't really being played anymore, right?

But I'm glad to see yet another example of detractor-logic being destroyed utterly by reality.
    He said twitch streams are empty, not he made some shitty post on mmorpg.com forums and didn't get a turnout.

No, he said this:

As for Twitch - are you saying that every single stream about a particular game is equally popular or what? I can just pick any Twitch about any game - and I'll know what kind of interest there is - no matter who made it and what it's about otherwise?

Sure, good luck with that theory out in the real world.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited April 2016
    Sephiroso said:

Hey, watch that 200 viewer Twitch stream if you like. More power to you.

You COULD also watch a Star Citizen Youtube video e.g.

like the other 64000 people  (example: Youtube - Star Citizen - this week - rank by number of hits)

Or the top 5 ranked fan made SC videos with a total of 3.139.070 views

But NO ONE IS INTERESTED .... you said so yourself. It MUST BE TRUE !!1!

Have fun

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Wizardry said:
    Found it to be extremely zzzzzzzzzzzzzz  boring but then again i have never found space sims to be much for excitement.
    space itself is just too cheap and easy to pull off,it will never look good no matter who does it.Ships,well you sit in a cockpit and then not much else to admire.
    I just got back from watching a live hockey game and it sent chills through my body,it was exhilarating,fun the crowd was electric,that is what a video game needs to do for me,it needs to make me excited to WANT to play.

I really don't know what Chris can do to make sitting in a cockpit exhilarating.I feel for a space sim type game the  fun/excitement will actually be when you land and enter stations and see other people around and action and take part in some interactive ideas.
    I look at it like this,imagine driving a car or driving a SeaDo,the car is boring,similar to cockpits in space,but a SeaDO is exciting fun,you ride the waves of excitement.
    Yea space games aren't easy to get into.  Once you learn where to find bads and kill them then loot their wrecks.  Then search planets and asteroid belts for minerals.  For some reason this isnt as easy as other games and yes its a pain.  Right now I own Elite Dangerous and my ship is floating outside of the station because i dont know what do to with it :proud: 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Erillion said:
    Sephiroso said:

Hey, watch that 200 viewer Twitch stream if you like. More power to you.

You COULD also watch a Star Citizen Youtube video e.g.

like the other 64000 people  (example: Youtube - Star Citizen - this week - rank by number of hits)

Or the top 5 ranked fan made SC videos with a total of 3.139.070 views

But NO ONE IS INTERESTED .... you said so yourself. It MUST BE TRUE !!1!

Have fun

LMAO yeah because NO ONE clicks on You tube videos to make them get about 50 times the views they actually got.

5 trillion people have really watched that guy do a bunch of different dances....

But the good news for guys praying this game gets made, its another ship for sale video apparently so if a portion of the ACTUAL viewers spend money for it its a little more money into their pockets and a few more pennies thrown into the game itself (maybe).

You cant manipulate Twitch numbers.

As for what I said I used a combination of both, but now 24 hours later it has 47 (I think)  answers a large majority of them nos. So again no matter how you spin it no one is CURRENTLY interested in EXPERIENCING what they have to offer right now. But I dont think they really care as long as the money keeps flowing in.

Its  a perfect world for them they collect subs (for news) and donations on a project that is going up in flames, and they dont have any pressure to actually deliver anything now, not after that "MVP" video.
    Twitch - THE channel to judge games ?

Lets see.  Elite-Dangerous

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Elite: Dangerous

A breathtaking 73 viewers. For a released game.

or SWTOR

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Star Wars: The Old Republic

67 viewers. Another released game.

Twitch is interesting if there is something NEW. A new patch. A new DLC. A new expansion. A war going on in real time (e.g. EVE World War Bee).

Twitch numbers during "downtime" - when nothing new happens - are IMHO not meaningful. During these times i personally think that channels such as Youtube are of more interest to the community, as carefully prepared, edited and selected videos hold their interest longer.

Have fun
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    filmoret said:
    Right now I own Elite Dangerous and my ship is floating outside of the station because i dont know what do to with it :proud: 
    Now that is a title that deserves the wrath of you SC attack guys.  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nope. Not interested until it's near release. I'll try it then.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Saxx0n said:
    filmoret said:
    Right now I own Elite Dangerous and my ship is floating outside of the station because i dont know what do to with it :proud: 
    Now that is a title that deserves the wrath of you SC attack guys.  
    Why ?

Many of us own and play Elite Dangerous too.

And EVE.

And will soon get No Mans Sky.

And **insert plethora of favorite space games here**

Have fun

Erillion said:

Twitch is interesting if there is something NEW. A new patch. A new DLC. A new expansion. A war going on in real time (e.g. EVE World War Bee).

Have fun
    Oh like a 'fly free' weekend and a patch combined? Something like that? Yeah I said it on the first page, during prime time of the first day it was available it had 10 or 12 feeds and about 200 people watching those feeds, the next night it had 6 or 7 and less than 100.

SC is THE hypit has raised more money than every other kickstarter combined, and continues to do so (allegedly) so why dont you the savior and top PR guy of the game hold it to a higher standard on these topics? Why doesnt it have 100 channels during prime time and thousands of people not only watching it but actually playing it?

We are all smart enough to know that alphas and games not released and ones that still have some sort of hope for them get the most action. So comparing games still developing and released games that have shown they cant retain people isnt a fair comparison.

But even so ED has 75 players watching it, and I am sure they have a lot more than that actually playing it. SC is distanced by them on both fronts.

Like I said for a game that gets the accolades this one gets it, at least on the surface, looks like a game no one is interested in at all. Thus why I said the only people who are really worried about the game right now are people who bought ships for the sole purpose to sell them for real life cash (and hopefully profits). That assumption is also based on what I have heard from the few streamers who fly whatever ships are there that have been called 'limited edition' and their streams are more of a sales pitch than actual commentary on the game play. So even the few guys left streaming it are mostly doing it out of self interest and not for the game itself.
    rodarin said:
     Why doesnt it have 100 channels during prime time and thousands of people not only watching it but actually playing it?
    Personally i find 3+ million viewers for the Top 5 FAN MADE Star Citizen videos on Youtube in the last year not bad.

Personally I do not see a reason to watch Twitch when i could play the Alpha myself and do all the things that the guy does on Twitch. 

I see a reason to watch Twitch if the streaming guy is showing something i have not seen before. Currently there is nothing new to show that i have not yet seen. So personally i do understand why the amount of people watching Twitch is ...manageable.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
     Why doesnt it have 100 channels during prime time and thousands of people not only watching it but actually playing it?
    Personally i find 3+ million viewers for the Top 5 FAN MADE Star Citizen videos on Youtube in the last year not bad.

Personally I do not see a reason to watch Twitch when i could play the Alpha myself and do all the things that the guy does on Twitch. 

I see a reason to watch Twitch if the streaming guy is showing something i have not seen before. Currently there is nothing new to show that i have not yet seen. So personally i do understand why the amount of people watching Twitch is ...manageable.

Have fun
    Really thats where youre going to go? How many millions of views do other games have? That havent had nearly the same amount of hype or money poured into them (allegedly). And like I said half those views you cite are more than likely from NEGATIVE videos.

There arent that many people PLAYING it either. This poll (while not scientific by any means) does show that people didnt try the free weekend. What few bothered to answer it. So that sort of blows the whole:

"Personally I do not see a reason to watch Twitch when i could play the Alpha myself and do all the things that the guy does on Twitch."

comment you made completely out of the water, especially for people who HAVENT spent any money on it yet.

But I just checked now there are 9 streamers (what is it between 6 and 9 PM in Europe right now?) and there are 120 people watching those 9 streams. ED has 20 streams and just about 100 people.
    rodarin said:
    And like I said half those views you cite are more than likely from NEGATIVE videos.
    All Top 5 are POSITIVE.

:-)

Have fun
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I did not try it. I am waiting for a more complete game (if it happens) like many of you but just not bitching about it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Played in the weekend to try out some other ship's, did a couple of quests and engaged some fps pvp in that abandoned station. Looks very promising.
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i tried it. still amused that people are still falling through floors, going through doors and clipping through walls. oh, being ejected into space randomly while my spaceship keeps going was fun too. anyone who plays this and still thinks its coming out needs help.
    goobsnews said:
    i tried it. still amused that people are still falling through floors, going through doors and clipping through walls. oh, being ejected into space randomly while my spaceship keeps going was fun too. anyone who plays this and still thinks its coming out needs help.
    You just don't understand game development: Start here for enlightenment: http://kotaku.com/five-things-i-didn-t-get-about-making-video-games-unti-1687510871

Babuinix said:
    You just don't understand game development: Start here for enlightenment: http://kotaku.com/five-things-i-didn-t-get-about-making-video-games-unti-1687510871

That is a very enlightening article.

Thank you.

Have fun
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Wow, the white knights are strong with this thread.  As well as the overwhelming majority, I didn't try this out at all, merely cause I didn't think about it or remember it in any way.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Nope, why would I want to give this pipe dream a second look. I've got a ton of popcorn stored for when reality hits Chris Roberts herem members.

Erillion said:
    Babuinix said:

That is a very enlightening article.

Thank you.

Have fun
    Not really I think everyone understands all the things that guy said. SC development goes above and beyond those on a few levels, as have other games that promised more than they could ever dream of delivering.

What this guy conveniently forgets to comment on is what developers CLAIM they can do and what they actually DELIVER. Those extremes are the reason why he had the outbursts he used to have. Why didnt he say any of that? Because he is now or was when he wrote hat article working for the guys he was now trying to defend.

So its really no surprise he switched his position so dramatically, because it was a complete self interest piece.

In old term parlance he became a complete and total sell out and went from holding these companies accountable for delivering not only a quality product but something that remotely resembled what they originally promised.

To think he personally didnt understand these things BEFORE he started working in the industry is a complete joke. He knew and he understood it was jsut as he was writing tha article it was probably on a computer those guys paid for.
    Armchair development is one of those degrees every forum warrior as a masters on. Such is the inter-web ways.
    Babuinix said:
    Armchair development is one of those degrees every forum warrior as a masters on. Such is the inter-web ways.
    you dont need a degree to know good from bad or able to make and not make. And considering the developers (at least ones not looking for one shot deals) know that ability to consistently deliver a quality product is paramount for future successes.

Public perception cannot be and definitely is not (by people that are actual successes) underestimated. They afterall are the ones that will continue to support you going forward.

This game is a case study in that because as long as they dont actually deliver anything that public perception is still hopeful and optimistic, much like a political campaign is. But once delivered (elected) the truth is generally revealed, maybe not all at once but enough to know whether you were incorrect or not.

Like I have said this game will make more before its release (any version of it) than it will after it gets released.
    Not quite, it hasn't scratched the surface of their player base, most gamers don't:

1- Support Kickstarter/Early Acess games
    3 - Know Star Citizen / Squadron 42

We tend to assume that forums/gaming sites/reddit etc encompass the majority of gamers, they do not, they cater to the hardcore ones that have gaming as their main hobbie.

How this will go wil be something like this:

Squadron 42 will get A LOT of media coverage, (Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Dana Scully) and will set the lore and interest of the casual gamers that are not necessarily into mmo's/pvp/space sims. Those folks will eventually end up jumping on the Star Citizen bandwagon and become interested in continuing their adventure into the online world, something like Warcraft games set the lore and interest for non-mmo players to try World of Warcraft.
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Getting into it initially is tough but once you get the controls down the flying can be amazing!

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!