Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New way to raise money? - $15 account dispute fee

mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
edited April 2016 in Star Citizen
As a recent 'WTF is going on?' person, the more I look at Star Citizen, the more crazy it becomes.

There is now a $15 account dispute fee; 
Topic - https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4eweoz/account_locked_indefinitely_need_help/
CIG staff confirming this is real - https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4eweoz/account_locked_indefinitely_need_help/d240scn

Some of the things I've read indicates this is the Stripe's charge back fee.
Due to my job, I know banks won't let merchants pass on charges like this to their customers. And VISA/MC will certainly go 'WTF are you doing?' if they are informed. It just seems really short sighted that CIG would do this. I mean, is the amount of charge backs that high that CIG has to institute some type of 'fee' to try and stop it?

This whole thing makes no sense to me. Then again, I work at a bank so maybe 'i don't understand game development'?
Post edited by mr1602 on

Comments

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    edited April 2016
    I will give my opinion but only after you explain why I need 3 forms of Identification to put money INTO my bank account but only 2 to take money OUT....
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Hmm, apparently this is a variable micropledge, depending on your previous amount of backing and your involvement in the grey market. They freeze your account and recommend to pay the suggested micropledge. This fee can be debated with customer service, in which case expect 60-90 days of your account being frozen.

So... CIG is cashing in on grey market transactions? What am I reading?
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Ahh one more way to milk the fellow commando for more cash. LOL they just continue to entertain!

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Lol if this is true they will be shooting themselves in the foot. I mean I like to rag on SC but at least make it a challenge and don't just throw ammo at me
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Hmm, apparently this is a variable micropledge, depending on your previous amount of backing and your involvement in the grey market. They freeze your account and recommend to pay the suggested micropledge. This fee can be debated with customer service, in which case expect 60-90 days of your account being frozen.

No it is not CIG. It's Stripe.

https://stripe.com/docs/disputes/faq

"Stripe charges $15 per chargeback*(note: this fee is dependent upon the currency in which you receive funds - e.g., if you charge in USD and have those funds converted to GBP, EUR or CAD, the chargeback fee will be denominated in the converted currency), though this fee is refunded if the issuing bank decides in your favor."
  • mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    I'm just stunned that CIG (or any company) would try and pass on that charge back fee to someone else.
    The person who did the charge back isn't paying for this since his / her account is now closed and they got their money back.
    So CIG must be charging someone who bought a ship from the person who did the charge back.
    This whole thing just looks FUBAR.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited April 2016
    I will give my opinion but only after you explain why I need 3 forms of Identification to put money INTO my bank account but only 2 to take money OUT....
    to combat money laundering.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    And here we go again... money laundering, FUBAR, etc. cc.

"A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, generally directed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease. Platitudes are geared towards presenting a shallow, unifying wisdom over a difficult topic. However, they are too overused and general to be anything more than undirected statements with ultimately little meaningful contribution towards a solution."
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Adjuvant1 said:

No it is not CIG. It's Stripe.

https://stripe.com/docs/disputes/faq

"Stripe charges $15 per chargeback*(note: this fee is dependent upon the currency in which you receive funds - e.g., if you charge in USD and have those funds converted to GBP, EUR or CAD, the chargeback fee will be denominated in the converted currency), though this fee is refunded if the issuing bank decides in your favor."
    It doesn't say "Stripe" in the email.
    http://imgur.com/f2b5Rsr

The guy who vetted the email on twitter wasn't a Stripe employee and he didn't tell the reddit post op to contact Stripe customer service.

I understand the suspicion because Stripe charges $15 fees. I don't know if you're right or if this is something else.

Here's a scenario

Person A sells Ship1 to Person B
    Person B sell Ship1 to Person C
    Person A does charge back
    CIG charges Person C for the charge back cost.

If you know of another word to describe the above scenario other than FUBAR, by all means tell me.

And the 'money laundering' is not against CIG but towards the other guy who was asking why it took more IDs to put money into the bank. Putting money into a financial institution is actually a big risk for them as the institution at the time of deposit doesn't know if the money is 'clean' or not.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    mr1602 said:
    Here's a scenario

If you know of another word to describe the above scenario other than FUBAR, by all means tell me.
    Except Ship 1 can only be "gifted" once to another account and is then "locked" to that account according to the SC Gifting FAQ.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    mr1602 said:
    Here's a scenario

Except Ship 1 can only be "gifted" once to another account and is then "locked" to that account according to the SC Gifting FAQ.

Have fun
    Still FUBAR because someone did a charge back and you end up paying the 15 fee.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Sovrath said:
    If you need 3 for both I could understand that but the fact that someone, if they wanted to mess with my account, would find it easier to steal my money then to give me money...Don't care about the customer, gotta stop money laundering though!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Ugh, this is awful, CIG billing seem to be acting very questionably as of late.

The CIG employee response in the reddit thread is ludicrous "I wont be posting any further details, however my confirmation was more a case of a notice not to encourage people to post these things publicly when it is in regards to an individuals account that isn't even the OP - therefore its confidential information to the originator."
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    There is no way such a thing would be legal in the US.

The "chargeback" occurs between the bank, and the vendor. The customer is not even part of the transaction, except to request it in the first place.

Under the UCC in the US, a 3rd party can not be charged a transaction fee, for a transaction they were not even part of.

This is BEGGING for a lawsuit.

I am wondering if the company deciding to do this even has a lawyer on staff or on retainer....

If not, they need to get one.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Burntvet said:
    [...]
    I am wondering if the company deciding to do this even has a lawyer on staff or on retainer....

Ortwin Sam Freyermuth is a lawyer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortwin_Freyermuth

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Burntvet said:
    [...]

He's a "lawyer". You forgot to add the quotes in your reply
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kefo said:
    Burntvet said:
    [...]

He's a "lawyer". You forgot to add the quotes in your reply
    Better call Sam.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    CIG - making 'evil big publishers' look like charitable monks since 2013.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Sovrath said:
    If you need 3 for both I could understand that but the fact that someone, if they wanted to mess with my account, would find it easier to steal my money then to give me money...Don't care about the customer, gotta stop money laundering though!
    If it turns out you're money laundering: the bank loses money.  If it turns out someone was impersonating you to empty your bank account: you lose money.

Which do you think the bank cares more about?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    The email is rather vague I can't really discern what exactly it's saying other than you need to pay something. Is this a case of buying a second hand pledge (that was charged back) or what? Because if that is the case that wouldn't be much different than ZOS locking accounts purchased with questionable (G2A) keys, which no matter what, to get your account back you need to pay for a legit retail key.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Whats getting lost in all this  is that if chargebacks and scams are so prevalent how much of that 110+ million is getting effected?

It also makes it obviously clear theyre SELLING ships and ships arent just a 'perk' for pledging. Theyre closing accounts as a punishment they even closed another account (the guy made new) that didnt have any grey market issues.

If they werent selling ships all they would do in chargeback situations is take all the ships and leave the account itself alone. But theye not doing that and they are also in effect banning an individual person not simply an account.

Desperate times at CiG I guess.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rodarin said:

Desperate times at CiG I guess.
    Meanwhile .... 112 M$   ;-)

Desperate times indeed .....

Have fun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Sovrath said:

We could have quite a discussion on anti money laundering, Know Your Customer, and Sanctions screening as its been my job for the past 6 years, but this isn't the forum for it.

I will say laws around it are very stringent worldwide, and inconveniencing customers is of no concern nor are any rights to privacy.

I do think thus situation is part of the gray market charge back controversy and IMNHO only highlights the risks of such transactions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon