Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's Gate MORPG

Comments

• Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited October 2016
    First I was WOHA!! Want to play this hard..
    but then.. I stopped...
    Want to give it chance, but im old mmogamer, who spend most time on "today" mmos. And I'm a bit fear about mouse click gameplay instead wsda (only played after long time in albion online - need still practice) 
    Also I love "empty" games, but for me this looks more empty then I think.. in videos I didn't see any world chat etc - love to speak in global chats ^^ 
    Graphic for myself is beautiful...
    And combat looks for me a bit clunky... (damn you modern mmos)

Hard to decide ... T__T
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    First I was WOHA!! Want to play this hard..
    but then.. I stopped...
    Want to give it chance, but im old mmogamer, who spend most time on "today" mmos. And I'm a bit fear about mouse click gameplay instead wsda (only played after long time in albion online - need still practice) 
    Also I love "empty" games, but for me this looks more empty then I think.. in videos I didn't see any world chat etc - love to speak in global chats ^^ 
    Graphic for myself is beautiful...
    And combat looks for me a bit clunky... (damn you modern mmos)

Hard to decide ... T__T

It doesn't compare too well with modern MMOs in terms of pace. It's much closer to the good old Baldur's Gate, except without the "pause" button. Well, it's based on Neverwinter Nights 2, after all.

Baldur's Gate Online is set many decades after the events of Baldur's Gate games... but here's the place where Sarevok through the poor guy from the roof. O.o

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535
    edited January 2017
    Figured out the problem, deleted post
    Post edited by drakes821 on
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm just vouching this is a good version of the game.  It is even a little difficult to start out too, which was a nice surprise.  My only complaint (which I'm sure will be a huge positive for most people) is too many people interact with me.  I like playing in an only world with other people, but by myself mostly.  I want to clear a dungeon at my pace my way, which is a little ocd.  Also, people in this server are very into roleplaying, and out of character communication is discouraged and there is no world chat other than for DM messages.

Another good server is trinity.  A lot less RP focused and more crazy character building focused with leveling up to I think lvl 40 and lots of class and prc super item sets and just tons of stuff and content.  Lots of DM events, etc. 
    Last week the Baldur's Gate server was full with 96/96 players. Yeah, there are some other nice servers too with different rules, features and settings.

The picture below shows the situation and player numbers on the most popular servers a week ago on January 21.

kuva.png 118.9K

Some more screenshots from Baldur's Gate Online.

An ogre camp.
    A dragon in the Underdark.

A demon portal in Dragon Spear Castle.
    Forest edge

Doron Amar

The Temple of Doron Amar

A book in a crypt

Troll Claws

A shop

A Temple of Auril

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited January 2017
    Looks interesting
    Post edited by kitarad on

kitarad said:
    So the 96 players play with each other and you cannot solo much not that I am asking to solo but just wondering how this works.

It works just like any open world MMORPG. The world is really big. You can travel alone or meet someone, join up and travel together. You can join or leave a group whenever you want. When the server is filled up like that with 96 players, it means there are lone wolves, small groups, and possibly even one or two really big groups with up to 20-40 player characters scattered all over the game world. Big groups usually form when there are some dungeon masters lurking behind the scenes organising something.

For example, once there was a group of 15-20 player characters deep in the Underdark participating in some epic battle event, while 10-15 other players were on the surface in Baldur's Gate watching some bard performances in a theatre, while 40-60 other players were scattered alone or in small groups elsewhere throughout the world.

edited January 2017
    Sorry I edited that out felt it was phrased badly thank you for responding. Is it point click or wasd ?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Looks interesting.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited January 2017
    kitarad said:
    Sorry I edited that out felt it was phrased badly thank you for responding. Is it point click or wasd ?

You can move with the mouse or using WASD. When you select a target, you can use a key to "tab-target" or you can click with the mouse.

The game has a lot of nice old school features. Here are just a few out of hundreds of such features.

* Wizards and clerics have to memorise a certain number of spells per day and they have to rest when they run out of spells. In some dungeons you cannot rest, so sometimes you need to manage your spells carefully on your run into and out of a dungeon if you want to get out of there alive.

* Clerics must have same alignment as their deity or their spells will sizzle. For example, a cleric of Torm has to be lawful good or a cleric of Bane has to be lawful evil.

* Items can be dropped on the ground and picked up.

* Some items are cursed and will stick to your inventory if you wear them until you use a "Remove Curse" scroll, potion or spell.

* Damage and hit points have small numbers. For example, a long sword does 1d8 damage plus whatever other modifiers. Classes gain from 1d4 to 1d12 hit points per level.

* Characters can be multiclassed freely with up to four different main or prestige classes. For example, you can create a Fighter/Thief/Cleric/Wizard. There are probably a million or more different possible character builds because of this feature. However, some classes cannot be combined. For example, monk needs lawful alignment but druid and bard can have only neutral or chaotic alignment, so they cannot be combined. Maximum character level is 30.

Thank you for explaining in so much detail I appreciate it.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited February 2017
    nvm got it working

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Wow this actually looks really cool. Giving it a shot!
    The Walking Dead Campaign  (The Reaching Woods Campaign of 1351)

Found some footage made by a dungeon master, shows some of the dungeon master team's work on the server and how some of those huge campaigns are developed (in co-operation with the content team), how they play out and progress on the server.

There was an MMORPG in development (Revival) that was going to have something similar but unfortunately it was cancelled.

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Yanocchi said:
    kitarad said:

You can move with the mouse or using WASD. When you select a target, you can use a key to "tab-target" or you can click with the mouse.

The game has a lot of nice old school features. Here are just a few out of hundreds of such features.

* Wizards and clerics have to memorise a certain number of spells per day and they have to rest when they run out of spells. In some dungeons you cannot rest, so sometimes you need to manage your spells carefully on your run into and out of a dungeon if you want to get out of there alive.

* Clerics must have same alignment as their deity or their spells will sizzle. For example, a cleric of Torm has to be lawful good or a cleric of Bane has to be lawful evil.

* Items can be dropped on the ground and picked up.

* Some items are cursed and will stick to your inventory if you wear them until you use a "Remove Curse" scroll, potion or spell.

* Damage and hit points have small numbers. For example, a long sword does 1d8 damage plus whatever other modifiers. Classes gain from 1d4 to 1d12 hit points per level.

* Characters can be multiclassed freely with up to four different main or prestige classes. For example, you can create a Fighter/Thief/Cleric/Wizard. There are probably a million or more different possible character builds because of this feature. However, some classes cannot be combined. For example, monk needs lawful alignment but druid and bard can have only neutral or chaotic alignment, so they cannot be combined. Maximum character level is 30.
    Is there any pvp?
    edited February 2017
    Borluc said:

Is there any pvp?

Full PvP is enabled almost everywhere except for a few maps (maybe the map where you start the game is the only location where PvP is disabled).

PvP works like in most TV shows, films, books or drama plays. Before you can bump someone off, you have to hatch a plot. In Baldur's Gate Online every player is basically both a player and an actor when it comes to PvP. You need to create at least some context why your character is going to bump off the character of another player and make this antagonism between the characters known to the other player before any PvP can occur.

The context can be based on alignment (example: good vs evil), race (example: human vs drow), religion (example: follower of Selune vs follower of Shar), some comitted offense (necromancer summons an undead near a paladin or a rogue picks someone's pockets and steals gold or some item etc.), faction allegiances (example: a harper agent vs a Zhentarim ), more indepth role-playing reasons and so on.

There are some situations when PvP is allowed without any reason. For example, if you see a drow from the Underdark travelling on the surface and not covering his or her face with a hood, you can attack and kill them on sight, and they will even receive permadeath if they get killed like that on the surface three times in total during the drow character's life.

Nowadays there are also two choices when you PvP someone. You can just knock them out unconscious or you can deliver a lethal finishing blow.

edited February 2017
    Yanocchi said:
    ... a rogue picks someone's pockets and steals gold or some item

... speaking of which...

As you can also see in the video in the logs, the game informs you when you are in a full PvP area (which is probably 90-99% of the game world).

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Full PvP enabled eek I won't play then was looking at this until I read that answer.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited February 2017
    cheyane said:
    Full PvP enabled eek I won't play then was looking at this until I read that answer.

There isn't actually much PvP in it or any PvP at all for players who are strongly inclined on PvE. PvP usually occurs when both players decide to play along at antagonising their characters with each other. It's not easy for a PvP player to antagonise a PvE player without some penalties from dungeon masters if PvE player decides not to play along or doesn't respond to provocations.

Btw, 97 users online there a moment ago on the forum and almost full server! :surprised:

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I avoid PvP I play BDO but I will not level past the PvP cap. Back to looking at this game again.
    Chamber of Chains
    Today I noticed that the community has grown even more. A new prestige class (Blade Singer) will be introduced to the game in one of the upcoming updates in March or April. 

Speaking of classes, here is the complete list of all classes available in the game.

1.png 201.4K
    2.png 220.5K
    3.png 228.8K
    4.png 225.9K
    4.png 225.9K
    5.png 232K
    6.png 221.5K
    7.png 228K

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I keep meaning to check this out NW servers were some of the best online gaming I have ever enjoyed. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    I keep meaning to check this out NW servers were some of the best online gaming I have ever enjoyed. 

What's really cool and unique about it is that it plays like MMORPGs but it has managed to get amazingly close to the gaming experience in text-based MUDs and pen-and-paper RPGs.

https://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52574

"BG:TSCC is currently made up of 54 staff members. This includes 10 developers and administrators, 23 Dungeon Masters, 5 forum moderators, and 16 quality control testers. Each of these individuals works for free, in their spare time, out of their love of Neverwinter Nights 2, BG:TSCC, and the Forgotten Realms. Together, with our hundreds of players, we are building a persistent world that spans the Sword Coast and beyond.

We have approximately 350 exquisitely-detailed and expertly-built area maps in game for you to explore, dozens of custom classes and feats, scores of new spells -- and as we grow we continue to add new areas, better monsters, unique features, quests and more."

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited March 2017
    Yanocchi said:
    Aethaeryn said:

What's really cool and unique about it is that it plays like MMORPGs but it has managed to get amazingly close to the gaming experience in text-based MUDs and pen-and-paper RPGs.

https://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52574

"BG:TSCC is currently made up of 54 staff members. This includes 10 developers and administrators, 23 Dungeon Masters, 5 forum moderators, and 16 quality control testers. Each of these individuals works for free, in their spare time, out of their love of Neverwinter Nights 2, BG:TSCC, and the Forgotten Realms. Together, with our hundreds of players, we are building a persistent world that spans the Sword Coast and beyond.

We have approximately 350 exquisitely-detailed and expertly-built area maps in game for you to explore, dozens of custom classes and feats, scores of new spells -- and as we grow we continue to add new areas, better monsters, unique features, quests and more."

Going to set it up tonight and check it out tomorrow likely.

Oh. . one of your screenshots on the first page is now a couch . . it is very nice looking but I think that is an error?  Sorry. . I think it is a futon. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!