D120 One-hundred-twenty-sided Dice

blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
You've probably got the standard seven-dice Dungeons & Dragons collection of a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and that goofy 10-sided percentile die. Now throw them all away and put in an order for The Dice Lab's d120.

The Dice Lab calls its d120 "the first mass-produced injection-molded 120-sided die." The concept for this monster has been around thanks to a 120-faced geometric pattern called a disdyakis triacontahedron that uses an elongated triangle for each face. While there have been some 3D-printed attempts, it's been hard to get your hands on a d120. Until now.

Multi-sided dice are often used in tabletop role-playing games to build characters and determine the amount of damage in combat. The Dice Lab's fantastical creation is pretty substantial for a die. It has a diameter of 2 inches (50 millimeters) and weighs over 3 ounces (about 90 grams). It's available in red, black, green, blue and white. A single die costs $12 (£8.50, AU$15.80) and The Dice Lab expects to have stock available within a month or two.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIMember RarePosts: 9,103
    That's awesome.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 4,000
    You've probably got the standard seven-dice Dungeons & Dragons collection of a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and that goofy 10-sided percentile die.
    And the mighty d100? Don't forget the d100 :lol:

This 120 looks cool, but I admit I don't know any place to use it... true, I'm not following the p'n'p scene lately. Which game uses 120? I know about a 60, so probably for the rare cases of 2 x 60 it might be useful, but a separate dice for that seems odd. Is there a system with a lot of rolls against 120?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Peoria, ILMember RarePosts: 2,100
    120 would be more useful in a base 60 number system. The thing is cool, though, if only a novelty.
  • GhabboGhabbo Buenos AiresMember UncommonPosts: 263
    The rng god approves this.
  • mrputtsmrputts Beaver, PAMember UncommonPosts: 236
    Those are called golf balls.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,368
    mrputts said:
    Those are called golf balls.
    I rolled it and got a Fore!.........
  • doragamesdoragames Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I think 100 would be..
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I would still manage to roll a 1 :/

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,705
    Po_gg said:

This 120 looks cool, but I admit I don't know any place to use it... true, I'm not following the p'n'p scene lately. Which game uses 120? 
    I was thinking the same thing. What could this be used for?

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Not In ESOMember EpicPosts: 2,229
    Sovrath said:
    Po_gg said:

This 120 looks cool, but I admit I don't know any place to use it... true, I'm not following the p'n'p scene lately. Which game uses 120? 
    I was thinking the same thing. What could this be used for?
    Perfect for hurling at your little brother when he beats you in a Warhammer tabletop battle.

"To be frank, I think his world had vanished long before he ever entered it, but I will say: He certainly sustained the illusion with a marvelous grace!"

• ReizlaReizla 127.0.0.1Member RarePosts: 4,039
    edited June 2016
    You've probably got the standard seven-dice Dungeons & Dragons collection of a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and that goofy 10-sided percentile die. 
    I have also a d2 (okay flip that spacial coin :D ), d30 and d100. Have seen a d7 on a fair once but that one die was €10. Also seen a d24 somewhere, but don't recall the price of it.

Silly Q though - what's a d120 good for..?

[EDIT] forgot to mention that one loaded d6 I have :D
    Post edited by Reizla on

AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 2x HD monitor 1920x1080

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,085
    edited June 2016
    In a 4-dimensional space, you could have 600-sided dice.  That's the 4-dimensional analog of the 3-dimensional icosahedron that is customarily used for a 20-sided die.  But there isn't a 5-dimensional or higher analog of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/600-cell
    Post edited by Quizzical on
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,705
    Quizzical said:
    In a 4-dimensional space, you could have 600-sided dice.  That's the 4-dimensional analog of the 3-dimensional icosahedron that is customarily used for a 20-sided die.  But there isn't a 5-dimensional or higher analog of it.

Well that's a relief, otherwise everything would be all higgledy piggeldy.  O.o

• PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,826
    Still got a dice bag packed away somewhere, but, a D120, as a curiousity sure, but for anything else, there are more practical options that are less likely to roll off the end of a table. :p

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember EpicPosts: 7,802
    Quizzical said:

I uhh. was just umm, thinking that very thing myself.....yeah.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,422
    edited June 2016
    As others have mentioned, I don't really see a use for this. The d100, albeit mostly a novelty, could at least be used for percentile rolls. In what roleplay system would you be rolling a 120 sider?
    Post edited by Forgrimm on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember EpicPosts: 7,802
    Forgrimm said:
    As others have mentioned, I don't really see a use for this. The d100, albeit mostly a novelty, could at least be used for percentile rolls. In what roleplay system would you be rolling a 120 sider?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,609
    You've probably got the standard seven-dice Dungeons & Dragons collection of a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and that goofy 10-sided percentile die. Now throw them all away and put in an order for The Dice Lab's d120.

The Dice Lab calls its d120 "the first mass-produced injection-molded 120-sided die." The concept for this monster has been around thanks to a 120-faced geometric pattern called a disdyakis triacontahedron that uses an elongated triangle for each face. While there have been some 3D-printed attempts, it's been hard to get your hands on a d120. Until now.

Multi-sided dice are often used in tabletop role-playing games to build characters and determine the amount of damage in combat. The Dice Lab's fantastical creation is pretty substantial for a die. It has a diameter of 2 inches (50 millimeters) and weighs over 3 ounces (about 90 grams). It's available in red, black, green, blue and white. A single die costs $12 (£8.50, AU$15.80) and The Dice Lab expects to have stock available within a month or two.

You know people have been creative with the older dice and could roll all sorts of funny things.  Like using a d20 and d6 to roll d120.  Or a d20 to roll d17.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,693
    And I thought D14, D16 and D30 felt a bit too much...

I love dice but 120 is not really a good number for randomizing. A D100 is far more useful since it is so easy to get the percentage to succeed down.

I do guess you could use it in games like R.I:F.T.S for massive vehicle damage but the number is a bit too random for that, rolling 10D12 would average a far more logical result for that.

I prefer this dice:

Rolling a D3 is actually something I do in games. :)