Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO or FFXIV Population

BonejokerBonejoker Member UncommonPosts: 67
What game has more population?
ESO or FFXIV 

looking for a game that is not dying like ArcheAge every time are less player,
I want to play Black Desert but I can not by blocking IP.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    It's a better question do you want more PVP or PVE type game.  If you want PVE FFXIV is your choice if you want PVP ESO.  
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    edited April 2016
    Bonejoker said:
    What game has more population?
    ESO or FFXIV 

looking for a game that is not dying like ArcheAge every time are less player,
    I want to play Black Desert but I can not by blocking IP.

They're both doing well, you can't go wrong with either.  ESO has more of an explorative feel as well as character customiztion.  FFXIV is more linear but alot of fun rides if you play with friends.  Both are very solo friendly if you're into that.

Also buy to play (ESO) vs pay to play (FFXIV). 
    Post edited by vandal5627 on
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Someone would have to play both and be very unbiased to give you a useful answer. ESO is anything but dying. No clue about FFXIV but I highly doubt that it is either. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Also if you end up playing FFXIV and looking for someone to play with, my wife and I will run stuff with you if you jump on our server.  We also joined grievance a large multi game guild that is been good to us.  
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited April 2016
    If you're more into free-form then ESO is the right choice (the skill system is very open and experimental in nature).  If you like tight, well-tuned experiences then FFXIV is right for you.
    Based upon your AA history I would say ESO. 

Population wise both are healthy.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited April 2016
    For someone like you there is only one choice, the amazing world of warcraft.  

Enjoy your orgy of millions of players you will never interact with, look on in awe as people do content on servers you are not on. 

Wtf does population have to do with anything?  you can only be on one server, just pick a busy server on any game and play it...  oh wait, eso has that single server system doesn't it?  ESO then I guess... or just be a normal person and play the one you find the most fun irregardless of max population.
  • BonejokerBonejoker Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited April 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    For someone like you there is only one choice, the amazing world of warcraft.  

Enjoy your orgy of millions of players you will never interact with, look on in awe as people do content on servers you are not on. 

Wtf does population have to do with anything?  you can only be on one server, just pick a busy server on any game and play it...  oh wait, eso has that single server system doesn't it?  ESO then I guess... or just be a normal person and play the one you find the most fun irregardless of max population.
    I played wow for 6 years approximately, I have no intention of returning.
    consult on FFXIV and ESO I do not want to know the popularity or population wow, aa, bd or another game and I want to know that because it is boring to be traveling alone maps or know that I'm playing something that is almost dead.
    if you do not know or do not want to answer my question. Your message is just to upload your amount of Posts.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Elite: Dangerous
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2016
    scorpex-x said:

Wtf does population have to do with anything?  
    A LOT!

im not paying for a game that will shut down when i least expect it. Both ESO and XIV... and WoW, require money. So yes, population is important when you have to pay.

TO answer the OP post, both are doing well. Cant go wrong with either.

THe one advantage XIV has over ESO is that it is cross server between PC, PS4 and PS3. ESO is not cross server between platforms so you will always see more people on XIV. But ESO is packed too.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    OP, do you prefer vast, huge open zones and exploration? If so, then ESO is for you. And if you want ALL characters with voice acting (not just the main ones), ESO is for you too. If you enjoy action combat like Tera, ESO is for you. I have tried both games, and to me, FFXIV is a tiny world, and is on rails, and that bugs me.

There's really no exploration in ESO either unless you're on console.  On PC everything is mapped out via addons lol.

• ElloaElloa Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited April 2016

There's really no exploration in ESO either unless you're on console.  On PC everything is mapped out via addons lol.

Not everyone is using addons. Actually there is a LOT of poeple that refuse to use addons.

ESO and FFXIV are so different it's difficult to compare.
    The most important difference are:

1. The combat system. Either you like one or the other. Or maybe you enjoy both. but the combat is opposite. ESO being action combat, face paced, very intuitive, and FFXIV being slow, tab-target, very dependent on rotations.

2. The atmosphere. FFXIV is a happy little game, while ESO is darker and less cute. 

I disagree with the statement than ESO is dying. It's not. But I think FFXIV is more populated.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    ESO is basically a single player game that requires an internet connection.

Not much different than Quest or MOB grinding in DA:I and then doing multi-player to do dungeons.  It feels basically the same, except less fun.

FFXIV is a better MMORPG experience than ESO, by far, and it has a much much more palatable playerbase.  However, they charge you for every platform you want to play it on, and it's not cheap when you factor in the expansion.

You can hardly get help in ESO as a new players without your questions sparking PC vs. Mac vs. Linux or Donald  Trump debates that go on for 15+ minutes.  Other low level players don't even talk to you, they're just running around mindlessly attacking things.

Also, ESO isn't just about overall player population.  It's a RvRvR game, so your faction population can affect your gameplay  negatively if the balance is off, even if the overall game player population is "find."

Lastly, I'd wait until they remove VRs before getting into it, if you're "new."  Otherwise, you're just going to waste a ton of your time.  But time may not be worth much to you...
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited April 2016
    FFXIV always feels like more people are around. Period. They also seem like they're having more fun than you for whatever reason.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    donjn said:
    OP, do you prefer vast, huge open zones and exploration? If so, then ESO is for you. And if you want ALL characters with voice acting (not just the main ones), ESO is for you too. If you enjoy action combat like Tera, ESO is for you. I have tried both games, and to me, FFXIV is a tiny world, and is on rails, and that bugs me.

ESO is just as much on rails.  Unless you go grind mobs then it's a completely linear progression via quest grind.  The fact that the world is bigger, just means it will waste more of your hard drive space.  Much of that world is empty.
    edited April 2016
    scorpex-x said:
     or just be a normal person and play the one you find the most fun irregardless of max population.
    Something tells me the general population isn't going to play just because of how large the max population is. Maybe you try and never use irregardless ever again in a sentence, though?

Thanks for taking this note to heart.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh not much exploration on both typical MMO maps nowadays, if I have to choose btw ESO and FF14 I go with FF14, I consider it the better game, now if you want anything new try blade and soul kinda nice and you choose if you want pvp or not. eso pvp is not that big anyway, btw tehre is still a waiting list for people becomming a vampire to pvp? or they finally fixed that one?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited April 2016
    Fuck it, nevermind.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited April 2016

This is the best, non-biased, decision maker

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    They both have huge populations, and they are both good games. Just comes down to which you feel better align with your taste.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288

ESO is the better game imo. If you want World of Warcraft Final Fantasy Version then play FF14. Still its a good game and does feel like you are playing a FF MMO.

If you want a game that is unique with engaging combat mechanics and voiced quests plus (now) its updated quarterly then ESO.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Like others have said, they both have good populations. It's just a matter of picking what you enjoy doing and go to that MMO.

I self identify as a monkey.

Darksworm is so full of shit it's hilarious.  Won't waste time responding to everything, someone else probably will.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    If you like lag in pvp and bugs and lag in pve then eso is for you. If you like less bugs and lag ffxiv is perfect.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I have recently put much time into both titles, I am currently playing FFXIV game has a alot to offer and a great and growing playerbase, some servers are lower pop but if you find your way onto one of the busier servers like bahamut, sarg, excaliber etc.. you will find a very much alive game.  ESO is a hard game to judge population by due to the single server tech but id say the population is healthy and it has a great business model.  The only reason im not more into eso is for one reason the classes got stale for me ffxiv has unique and fun jobs to get into.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    donjn said:
    What a load of bullshit putting eso and the word vast in the same sentance.