Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

starter info

ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Getting off a vanilla wow kick and looking to start eq2 for something new. I need some help.

If I go TL, do I have to Sub right away? Or can I buy the latest xpac and play it?

I am looking to make 2 characters, one a dwarf, the other something bad to see the other half of the world.

1. What race would be good for the evil side for soloing?

2. For my dwarf, I am rolling a mining, treasure hunter. I'd like him to be able to open locked chests and the like. Tackling dungeons solo would be good as I want to push the limit and sneaking treasure.

a. If I pick a rogue, can he pick lock? Hoe viable is stealth for solo loot hunting?

b. If I pick a paladin, how good will it be for soloing/multiple mobs?

c. Any other classes that would be good for what I want out of this dwarf? I don't know eq2 classes at all.

Thanks!

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I would suggest a neutral race the Aerakyn which were added in an xpac a ways back.  They are one of my favorites.  And you choose your starter type evil or good with them.

If you truly want evil then I started with an Iksar myself but it is mostly up to you.  My favorite class was a shadowknight think evil paladin.  Pretty much will never die, a very good starter class for someone new to the game.  Shadowknights have some nice aoe's, and can tank many mobs at one time. 

Can't comment on rogue no my play style. 

Your UI can become a mess until you figure out what skills you actually want to use, this isn't one of those games where they only give you 4 or 5 there are many skills and levels of skills.

Henchmen are really nice as they can allow you to solo some older group content.  I usually take a healer of some sorts.

You do not have to sub right away but the benefits are actually pretty good.  I can't remember how many days it is but you can actually exchange the tokens you get daily for a bag of silver which is really good for a first time player.  The daily tokens are sub reward.

Overall the game is very deep and has a ton to do if you have never played it, it can be a little overwhelming at first.  Think it has 12 xpac's worth of stuff now maybe more.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Thanks, very helpful.

anyone with advice on what rogues have to offer would be appreciated. Trying to see if it would fit my dwarf.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To play on TL you have to have one of their subscriptions.

Race matters little but depends on what class you intend to play.Example an Erudite is great for a mage type class and a Ogre/Troll is good for a Strength type class.The game is really dumbed down now to one stat and every class utilizes STA for HP.You can see what stat is needed for each class and each race.

IMO your going to get the exact same game as Wow,sure a tad better with housing and such but overall an identical game that is linear questing.
    It is too bad Square Enix was always an obscure type developer,never advertising much and seldom noticed because every gamer owed it to himself to play FFXI at least for a couple months during it's vanilla stages.Even now is estill offers a completely different experience than what you see as normal mmorpg's go.

I am not currently playing FFXI anymore but to me it is a game i always love to go back to because all other games are just so generic and boring.I have a strong urge to play the upcoming mobile FFXI game being designed by Square and Nexxon but i detest mobile gaming but since nothing eslse in the industry looks promising,it is my only hope.

Long winded point is that you SHOULD have played EQ2 instead of WOW,i am sure other than "popularity" you would have scoffed Wow as a second rate game,as i did when i played EQ2.I have seen the BEST of both worlds EQ2 for linear questing and FFXI for grouping.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Thupli said:

1. What race would be good for the evil side for soloing?

2. For my dwarf, I am rolling a mining, treasure hunter. I'd like him to be able to open locked chests and the like. Tackling dungeons solo would be good as I want to push the limit and sneaking treasure.

a. If I pick a rogue, can he pick lock? Hoe viable is stealth for solo loot hunting?

b. If I pick a paladin, how good will it be for soloing/multiple mobs?

c. Any other classes that would be good for what I want out of this dwarf? I don't know eq2 classes at all.

Thanks!

1. If you play on TLE, you are subbed. Strong solo class for evil beginner characters is Necromancer. Undead knight will tank for you well enough, until you learn to better use other abilities. For race, it doesn't matter much in the long run, and it sucks to play something you don't like to look at, just for the value in racial skills. Pick one you like wherein the description says, "make good mages".

2. Everyone mines and every other type of harvesting. They're skills you level up. Higher tier zones have minimum skill level to pop a rare harvest. It's 5x the 8s of level tiers, so to get t3 rares you need 90 in a given skill, t4 is 140. Everyone opens locked chests. Disarm is another question so a trap doesn't blow up in your face. All scouts get disarm trap, as do a couple races. Gnome necro would start with bonus to intelligence and disarm trap.

Rogues don't solo super well in confined spaces without alot of practice, early on. Swashbuckler is arguably slightly more suited with an extra stun, but brigand tops out higher in raid parse, if that matters to you. If by "rogue" you also mean predators as ranger/assassin, they're much better outdoor kite classes using good bows.

a. Generally, unless you're very practiced, you're not going to "solo loot hunt" to the efficiency of a summoner (conjurer/necro) , crusader (paladin/shadowknight) or enchanter (illusionist/coercer). Later on, with practice, choosing your fights well, most classes solo "ok", but I take "loot hunting" to mean same level, named, good stuff and you want a necro. (This is, of course another story on older servers if you have the merc expac and anyone can solo anything, because it's effectively a pet. TLE does not yet have it unlocked)

b. Paladins, with some practice and decent gear, are great soloers and solid teammates. Later on, they fall a bit in the "jack of all trades, master of none" category, but still solid. Dps on multiple mobs is much stronger on their counterpart, shadowknight.

c. You keep saying you want to solo, the most efficient are crusader, summoner, or illusionist without extensive practice. The coercer side of enchanter, illusionist counterpart, can be good with little practice, but prone to a degree of rng when your mind control breaks. Some people have it down to a science. Some people have berzerker, ranger or mystic down to a science. Those classes take a little more practice. You don't want to try beginner soloing as templar/inquisitor, guardian, warlock, or bard. It looks cool when people do it, but it will make you quit in the process of learning.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Whats TLE?
    wesjr said:
    Whats TLE?
    Time lock expansion. They took the code and broke it down a bit so people are "re-living" periods of time before all expacs are out. Right now they're in the era just before the release of Echoes of Faydwer, which incidentally, is an awesome expac to start on as a new player.

Some things they just could not roll back to vanilla, because it would have been too much work to remove and subsequently replace. It was a decent honest shot, tho.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Ahh, like they did on EQ1
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Thanks all.

Wizardry- I do like WoW, and maybe I should have played EQ2 instead, but I didnt.  Now I want new fun content similar to wow, and I think this could be good.

Others- Thanks for all the advice.  I shouldnt have said "solo" per-se.  Just that I want something with the tools to deal with a lot of situations when I am by myself.  Ultimately I like healing and tanking.  I do have a like of rogues for stealth running chests in wow too, so I'm not sure if there is anything comparable, but wanted to ask.

Thanks all, will probably check the F2P version before a TLE, unless there is a strong opinion here regarding this?  I do really like the old group play style of vanilla and TBC wow, if that helps...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited April 2016
    Playing the f2p on older servers is ok, if not a bit lonely. Try to be social and meet people as soon as you have an opportunity, get into an active guild. You don't get to see much content early on, unless you willfully avoid grouping. 90+ toons, even mentored down, cut through content like air and you're basically chasing behind a helpful person, scooping up loot to high 80s.

I like the articulation of a same-leveled group fighting stuff 4-8 levels higher, myself, where you need cc and discipline. I'm a little EQ2'd out now, though. I've played it off and on since release.

edit: I guess I made that sound odd. F2p level very slowly, unless someone is carrying you, but when you're powerleveled, things go so quickly, you miss much of the cooler aspects of story line and atmosphere. The lower levels, while not ghost towns, aren't populated so much as the top end and finding a similarly leveled person at any given time can be challenging. Being in a guild gives a number of benefits, not the least of which for crafting, huge time saver there.