Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More problems with the Oculus Rift

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Why are half of the people in this thread either partial-banned or full-banned? lol
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I never considered that point but having something strapped tight to your face will leave an impression on the skin.  The longer and more you do it the longer the marks will remain.  Not saying it's good or bad just interesting.  I read somebody called it 'Rift rash'
    Just had to share this one.  

Hahahaaha proves that it does not cater for glass's wearers so at least were safe :)
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Forgrimm said:
    Why are half of the people in this thread either partial-banned or full-banned? lol

Is that what the bars on the icons mean? lol I just thought there was some inside trend going on that I am not cool enough for. If you have bars can you see them on your own icon? Do I have bars? If I had a VR headset on, could I see the rest of the cell if I looked around or are the bars in 2D only?
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited April 2016
    Like it or not SEAN, VR will be short lived. I know you like it and all but its just not gonna blow up like people think.
    Were you there back when they said sound wouldn't work in the movies, computers wouldn't need more than 1MB of memory, tablets are a silly idea, asked who needs internet on a phone and agreed with countless other short sighted opinions. Its people with vision that create and certain items are game changers. VR/AR is a game changer. There is no other way for people who cant get somewhere, to see that place as if they are there, than with VR.  The immersion makes the difference. Also for games its brilliant fun and I should know as I played Descent on a heavy chunky headset way back in 1998 when the graphics were SVGA or less I believe. Its anew way to look in to a game world, be part of it. You cant get that on a monitor. With 360 cameras its going to be used for everything from surgery to piloting drones with a simple glance around leaving more use for hand control. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited April 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    They have to keep us in order.  We are a vulgar bunch if left to ourselves.  There is a difference between being onto something and on something....
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    UgUgUg said:
    Like it or not SEAN, VR will be short lived. I know you like it and all but its just not gonna blow up like people think.
    Were you there back when they said sound wouldn't work in the movies, computers wouldn't need more than 1MB of memory, tablets are a silly idea, asked who needs internet on a phone and agreed with countless other short sighted opinions. Its people with vision that create and certain items are game changers. VR/AR is a game changer. There is no other way for people who cant get somewhere, to see that place as if they are there, than with VR.  The immersion makes the difference. Also for games its brilliant fun and I should know as I played Descent on a heavy chunky headset way back in 1998 when the graphics were SVGA or less I believe. Its anew way to look in to a game world, be part of it. You cant get that on a monitor. With 360 cameras its going to be used for everything from surgery to piloting drones with a simple glance around leaving more use for hand control. 
    VR much less so than AR.  AR will have quite a bit more usage.. with much less of the issues experienced with VR.  With the way VR is right now.. and even in the near future, they can't utilize a simple camera pass through to utilize the real world like AR does.  There will always.. ALWAYS be a delay, there will always be poor pixelation.. even with the best cameras currently on the market.  Utilizing AR such as how hololens has begun to do it bridges that gap between the real world and the virtual space.  

More importantly, AR devices in the future could easily change to run VR applications...(technically they can run VR applications now - such as hololens that is built on a version of windows 10)  but the current generations of VR devices could never function at the same performance ratio in AR.

As far as VR is concerned, better controls might help,  but real world applications will be a major hindrance.  It will forever be a locked down system.  Sure you might finally get a chance to play with friends in a virtual world... but... its only perpetuating the lonely gamer scenario.

When I was younger you could sit next to your friends and play a game at the same time.. share a pizza and hang out.

Then you had Lan games where you would have people bring over their systems and hang out.. order some food.. talk to each other.

Then MMOs came into the picture... where you played with other players in a virtual world.. but the best part was.. when I was tired of playing.. I could go over to my friends house and watch him play and talk to him about what he was doing.

Now, what.. we'll have VR? Where you could be right next to someone.. never see or hear them.  You can't order food or have a few drinks with your friends.. you're isolated in plain view.    You could have a sandwich right next to you and never find it.  Sure my dog might love that as she'd probably get a lot more people food, but I'd hate to have to stop playing something or take off a headset every few minutes when I want something to drink.

With AR, I see an expansion of this though.  All of my friends can go out to a park..  Thousands of people...  and play a game of "laser tag" or... do a kind of survival mode against aliens in the living room.   

I see a market for VR.. but to me.. it's more of a theme park market.  Like literally, you could go to a theme park and they would put together something awesome in a virtual world where you get all the "sights" and smells and feelings as an actual virtual world for a short time -- and that being the cornerstone of exciting VR entertainment.  

But for the everyday person...  you won't see a family sitting on a couch with a bunch of VR headsets.  You won't see someone sitting on a bus wearing a VR headset.  AR?  Sure... but no. Not VR. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Part that makes me laugh is the red marks are just the start. Think of the people really into this tech that end up having face calluses lol
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nanfoodle said:
    Part that makes me laugh is the red marks are just the start. Think of the people really into this tech that end up having face calluses lol
    I ride a motorcycle with a helmet on almost every day. I get those red marks.

world still has not ended

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Yes but some gamers game 10-12hrs a stretch, so calluses are more likely than from a helmet. Guys may not care but this could be a problem for women.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    UgUgUg said:
    I was there for 8 track tapes, HD DVD's, Betamax Tapes, MS Zune, Pepsi Blue, Apple Newton.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

UgUgUg said:
    I was there for 8 track tapes, HD DVD's, Betamax Tapes, MS Zune, Pepsi Blue, Apple Newton.  :-)
    ha!

and 5" is crazy talk size for a so called 'smart phone' I bet if we tried we could find a similar quote on this very site from 2008

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Forgrimm said:
    Hint: Star Citizen, CiG, Chris Roberts. B) B)
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    UgUgUg said:
    VR much less so than AR.  AR will have quite a bit more usage.. with much less of the issues experienced with VR.  With the way VR is right now.. and even in the near future, they can't utilize a simple camera pass through to utilize the real world like AR does.  There will always.. ALWAYS be a delay, there will always be poor pixelation.. even with the best cameras currently on the market.  Utilizing AR such as how hololens has begun to do it bridges that gap between the real world and the virtual space.  

More importantly, AR devices in the future could easily change to run VR applications...(technically they can run VR applications now - such as hololens that is built on a version of windows 10)  but the current generations of VR devices could never function at the same performance ratio in AR.

As far as VR is concerned, better controls might help,  but real world applications will be a major hindrance.  It will forever be a locked down system.  Sure you might finally get a chance to play with friends in a virtual world... but... its only perpetuating the lonely gamer scenario.

When I was younger you could sit next to your friends and play a game at the same time.. share a pizza and hang out.

Then you had Lan games where you would have people bring over their systems and hang out.. order some food.. talk to each other.

Then MMOs came into the picture... where you played with other players in a virtual world.. but the best part was.. when I was tired of playing.. I could go over to my friends house and watch him play and talk to him about what he was doing.

Now, what.. we'll have VR? Where you could be right next to someone.. never see or hear them.  You can't order food or have a few drinks with your friends.. you're isolated in plain view.    You could have a sandwich right next to you and never find it.  Sure my dog might love that as she'd probably get a lot more people food, but I'd hate to have to stop playing something or take off a headset every few minutes when I want something to drink.

With AR, I see an expansion of this though.  All of my friends can go out to a park..  Thousands of people...  and play a game of "laser tag" or... do a kind of survival mode against aliens in the living room.   

I see a market for VR.. but to me.. it's more of a theme park market.  Like literally, you could go to a theme park and they would put together something awesome in a virtual world where you get all the "sights" and smells and feelings as an actual virtual world for a short time -- and that being the cornerstone of exciting VR entertainment.  

But for the everyday person...  you won't see a family sitting on a couch with a bunch of VR headsets.  You won't see someone sitting on a bus wearing a VR headset.  AR?  Sure... but no. Not VR. 
    You'd be surprised; riding public transit is a case where I can definitely see jacking in to VR being an option: this is speaking from firsthand experience having ridden buses in both Japan and America.  Obviously, there would be considerations, but I can really see it being a desirable use-case.  At any rate, it's still a little early to be making predictions like this.

I expect AR and VR will overlap more and more in terms of hardware as time goes on.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I ride to. I've been riding on the trail since 1972 and riding the roads since 1980.

psst.  If your helmet is giving you red marks, it doesn't fit you correctly.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

UgUgUg said:

You'd be surprised; riding public transit is a case where I can definitely see jacking in to VR being an option: this is speaking from firsthand experience having ridden buses in both Japan and America.  Obviously, there would be considerations, but I can really see it being a desirable use-case.  At any rate, it's still a little early to be making predictions like this.

I expect AR and VR will overlap more and more in terms of hardware as time goes on.
    Riding public transit especially would not be an ideal situation... having spent a good portion of my time doing so in NYC, vancouver and portland,  in most cases it wouldn't make any sense.  Rides are short, the technology wouldn't really be there for it... and its doubtful anyone would want to not be able to see the others around them.  As much as I'd like to have closed off some of the people on the subway... it's the last thing I would do.

AR devices could lead into VR usage like hololens.  I can see it being completely possible.  VR devices how they are right now... they aren't going to work their way to the AR spectrum in a truly usable fashion. The technology won't be there, not even in the near future, for a completely closed of headset to be able to utilize a camera to give you a 1 for 1 realtime and realistic surrounding.

UgUgUg said:

Riding public transit especially would not be an ideal situation... having spent a good portion of my time doing so in NYC, vancouver and portland,  in most cases it wouldn't make any sense.  Rides are short, the technology wouldn't really be there for it... and its doubtful anyone would want to not be able to see the others around them.  As much as I'd like to have closed off some of the people on the subway... it's the last thing I would do.

AR devices could lead into VR usage like hololens.  I can see it being completely possible.  VR devices how they are right now... they aren't going to work their way to the AR spectrum in a truly usable fashion. The technology won't be there, not even in the near future, for a completely closed of headset to be able to utilize a camera to give you a 1 for 1 realtime and realistic surrounding.
    yeah i am not in agreeement with you on this either.

I used to take a transit bus for 45 mins a day and slapping on that VR headset to watch some news or a movie? yup...pretty much people doing that right now with cellphone and tablets anyway. totally would work.

as far as cross over goes because of the 'black light' 'white light' problem I think its much more likely that VR will cross over to AR before AR does to VR. VR just needs the camera that is basically already there..on and performance improved.

Although to be fair not very portable!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    By the way, anyone that thinks VR necessarily engenders an isolating archetype needs to check out The Machine To Be Another.  It seems like an amazing tool to foster empathy.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Actually they should be able to make it so you don't need glasses while wearing a headset.  Dunno how far away they are from that idea but its very possible.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    SEANMCAD said:

I used to take a transit bus for 45 mins a day and slapping on that VR headset to watch some news or a movie? yup...pretty much people doing that right now with cellphone and tablets anyway. totally would work.

as far as cross over goes because of the 'black light' 'white light' problem I think its much more likely that VR will cross over to AR before AR does to VR. VR just needs the camera that is basically already there..on and performance improved.

All you need to run VR on AR is a dark enough background.  That's simple to do... and can be accomplished by covered sunglasses.  

Meanwhile VR would need latency fixes from cameras and monitors that aren't even in existence yet.. .with resolution and real view displays... including peripheral vision cameras...   it isn't happening anytime soon.  So... a black piece of paper for AR to be VR... orrrrr... a whole host of technological breakthroughs for VR to accomplish AR on the same scale?

Anyways.  As stated I went into Best Buy and Frys Electronics.  One had a Galaxy VR set.. the other had a RIFT to try.  Funny enough they both had the same demo, the oculus also had a game test you could do which I think was shown in both demo videos... where you ran around in a mech.

The best of what I saw was in the demo.. where you were underwater and able to look around while they explained the abilities of the Rift.   You saw some sharks swimming around.. you could look down to see a school of fish and if you turned around near the close of the demo you saw a shark swimming directly at you.

While it was startling.. and watching other people go through the same demo.. the reactions were all the same.. It was a brief startle.  My girlfriend took the headset off and put it down at that part when I told her to turn around.  

Most of the rest of the demo was underwhelming.  Watching the same demo on the Rift as opposed to the Galaxy VR -- though not side by side.. the ride was about 20 minutes between the two stores -- the Rift didn't look much better in the demo.  Perhaps what was due to the demo being created specifically for the galaxy VR.. but it appeared to be the best demo available showing a number of different objects.

At Frys they had a mech game you could play.  I couldn't really tell if it was the exact one in the demo, and I didn't get the name of it.  I was able to hop on after other players were done with it.  In my short play time I didn't encounter anything really to kill, perhaps whoever had played it before me had killed the other enemies and I was able to walk around, boost up into the air and fire shots.  Looking around inside the mech would allow me to see out different window panels.  

So what is the verdict?   Despite what people sold it as, it isn't far and away that much better than what the arcade games of yesteryear were.  The graphics are better.. the ability to look up and down and pretty much anywhere was more fun... but mostly the immersiveness is due to the graphical upgrades.  Seeing the sharks would still have been startling even if the graphics were from 2002.  Now they were almost photorealistic and it was more exciting, sure.. which is where the most realism will be here.

I found I enjoyed the Galaxy VR much more than the Rift.  I wasn't tethered to anything at the store as they had one available that wasn't tethered to a desk.  I was standing there, able to look around.. it felt somewhat comfortable considering that -- after watching countless others try the same set on -- they looked foolish.  It is easy to forget that others can still see you... and I found myself looking up and down and everywhere... probably looking like you'd imagine a blind person wearing goggles would.

The Rift was tethered to a PC.. When I was watching the same demo and tried to turn around to my right to see the shark again, the cord snagged on the corner table and I was jerked back a bit.  It was heavier than the galaxy VR.   When I tested the Mech game, I just slid it on from what someone had already been using, and it didn't fit particularly well and I wasn't sure how to strap it properly seeing as how I didn't spend much time with the machine.

After all was said and done... I upgraded my girlfriends phone to the Galaxy S7 at Best Buy.  She had a lot of credit left over on her best buy gift card as all the money we planned to use for her phone upgrade had to be in cash to the phone carrier,  so all of that gift card money got to be spent on other things.

As she also tried Galaxy VR and it was already available on her phone I asked if she was going to buy a headset as it was fairly inexpensive.  Her response was simple... "I don't think I'd ever really use it.  My kids would like it,  but I can't afford to put it on and not pay attention to them. I think they'd really like it though."

I got into a conversation with a guy regarding the RIFT.  I asked him if he planned on getting one as none of them were for sale currently, there was only a demo rig setup.  He basically said he thought it was a cool idea but he had no plans to buy one.  He asked me what games I'm looking forward to that support the Rift.  I didn't have an answer for him.

When all was said and done, it's not like I don't have the opportunity now to try VR whenever I want using my GF's new phone.  (I decided not to upgrade to the s7,  I'll wait for some new releases from other manufacturers or at least until the note6 hits).  But when I start to think about it...what would I even use it for?  It's almost like when I go to the museum and watch an IMAX.  It would be awesome to see a dinosaur film where I can look around and see everything in the world... but like the IMAX movies, it's a fun experience at the time...  but I don't care to rewatch it everyday.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I see a couple of people talking about 360 cameras as if they are suitable for recording the real world for use in VR. I really cannot sse how anyone could reach that conclusion. VR requires objects to be in 3D space so that the paralex can be calculated for the viewers virtual location and head position. A 360 camera is not going to do that, I do not think there is anything available that will do that.
    edited April 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

All you need to run VR on AR is a dark enough background.  That's simple to do... and can be accomplished by covered sunglasses.  

are you being serious right now?

AR for the VR win because you can always put on sunglasses, pull down the shades, close the door and turn off the light? and people complained about how many cables are involved in Oculus, the price and the hardware requirements (aka suggested requirements of The DIvision and Quantum Break).

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

AR for the VR win because you can always put on sunglasses, pull down the shades, close the door and turn off the light? and people complained about how many cables are involved in Oculus, the price and the hardware requirements (aka suggested requirements of The DIvision and Quantum Break).
    Literally all you need is something to block your vision as a dark background.  A black piece of paper behind your field of view accomplishes that.  Hololens can already run VR applications.

edited April 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Literally all you need is something to block your vision as a dark background.  A black piece of paper behind your field of view accomplishes that.  Hololens can already run VR applications.
    we need light to not come in from the back, from the sides, from the top and from the bottom. a black shit of paper isnt going to do that. at best you would need a darkroom.

plus what darkmagic blackhole technology does Microsoft have that the entire world doesnt have that can allow for the equaviant of a 1080p, 6 degree of freedom image to cover 100% of your viewing space?

that same image of which oculus needs a super PC with a label slapped on it say 'This PC will run The Division'

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited April 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Man if your helmet is putting redmarks on your face it might be time for a new helmet, lol. I been riding dirt and street for over 30 years and can't remember ever getting my face marked up. Unless of course you're talking about goggles for riding dirt bikes

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

we need light to not come in from the back, from the sides, from the top and from the bottom. a black shit of paper isnt going to do that. at best you would need a darkroom.

plus what darkmagic blackhole technology does Microsoft have that the entire world doesnt have that can allow for the equaviant of a 1080p, 6 degree of freedom image to cover 100% of your viewing space?

that same image of which oculus needs a super PC with a label slapped on it say 'This PC will run The Division'
    You're being ridiculous now.  I spent enough time with Vr yesterday to realize if the galaxy s7 can do it ... a visor cover and the power of the Hololens is more than sufficient