Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Ideas to get SWTOR´s Combat System out of Stoneage >

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited April 2016
    This would ruin CC, Tanking, Healing, and everything else.  They would have to rewrite the entire skill system, as well as the A.I., and encounters, etc.   It's just not going to happen.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    As much as I've always wanted Tera style combat in SWTOR.  This is a really unrealistic idea.  The amount of work this undertaking would require would make more sense to just make a completely new mmo.  As I've gotten older I've come to the realization that both combat systems offer something.  I doubt either one will ever usurp the role of mmo standard.  

Just a bit of advise.  You can post your opinion without having to bash a system (tab target) that many here love.  Bashing that system comes off as pretentious.  The world doesn't revolve around you.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    TOR is fine in the same way WOW is fine. Just because all the cool kids are doing "semi twitch based" combat does not mean that every mmo should now do the same. What works for one game may not for another. In this case TOR works fine with the current combat system.. there are other issues that should be looked at.. combat isnt one of em. Change combat you have to change the entire game. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I recently cancelled the next purchase of time for SWTOR.  I definitely agree that the combat needs work, but the changes the OP suggests aren't going to get my money back.  As it stands, there's really no risk at all.  Any companion, on any setting, seems to be capable of handling all but the world bosses without much help from me.  It will keep me healed, keep mobs out of the fight and blast away at the mobs for me.  Sure, it would be a lot slower if I didn't help out, but I think the companions are simply game-breaking.  At least, that's the way my money voted.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I just re-subbed to SWTOR and can't wait to get back in and play.  H ave been hearing good things from many people who I know who went back to play!
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I'd rather just see a new Star Wars MMO altogether, preferably one that has nothing to do with EA/BW.
  • RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    The game does have a target center of screen option which targets the closest target to the center.  It also has a cycle targets in screen space and show next targets.  I for one have never had an issue with targeting
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited April 2016
    Horusra said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    1. Get rid of god awful 1999 tab targeting
    2. Get rid of clicking icon then sitting with your thumb up your ass while combat takes place.
    3. Implement Batman/Shadow of Mordor/Mad Max combat system.
    4. Problem solved

So you want to make it like the other failed action fad games that have come out the last few years? What's the point of updating to a failed system?
    Failed?  That's hilarious.  Those games I listed have sold so much that EA wishes they made them.  SWTOR is small beans compared to the box copies those games moved.

In fact, Arkham city ALONE has doubled SWTOR's sales figures between launch and F2P, and then EA went totally dark and silent on sales after that which can only mean piss poor figures.

So sure, this "fad" has failed so hard that dozens of titles are copying one of the best combat systems ever devised.
    But which made more money?
    Oh don't waste your time with desperate swtor haters like him.  He has been jumping on every thread And crying about swtor for five years now.  You know they are desperate when they start comparing single player games to mmo and going silent when total money made is brought up.  

If you jumped on their precious game and compared it to a single player game I can GUARENTEE they would be crying non stop. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    2. Get rid of clicking icon then sitting with your thumb up your ass while combat takes place.
    4. Problem solved

So you want to make it like the other failed action fad games that have come out the last few years? What's the point of updating to a failed system?
    Failed?  That's hilarious.  Those games I listed have sold so much that EA wishes they made them.  SWTOR is small beans compared to the box copies those games moved.

In fact, Arkham city ALONE has doubled SWTOR's sales figures between launch and F2P, and then EA went totally dark and silent on sales after that which can only mean piss poor figures.

So sure, this "fad" has failed so hard that dozens of titles are copying one of the best combat systems ever devised.
    I'm confused, i thought we were talking MMORPG's here?  What the fuck does Arkham City or Shadow of Mordor have to do with anything?  Single player games designed for short term play are much different animals than a genre designed for long term play.

Calling SWTOR's combat 'Stone Age' is like calling having a phone conversation stone age.  Yes, we can now get the quick fix of texting, which is great for when we only want to exchange a few lines of conversation or make plans.  But when you want a long meaningful conversation many would argue making a phone call (or meeting face to face, even more ancient) is preferable.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    syriinx said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    4. Problem solved

I'm confused, i thought we were talking MMORPG's here?  What the fuck does Arkham City or Shadow of Mordor have to do with anything?  Single player games designed for short term play are much different animals than a genre designed for long term play.

Calling SWTOR's combat 'Stone Age' is like calling having a phone conversation stone age.  Yes, we can now get the quick fix of texting, which is great for when we only want to exchange a few lines of conversation or make plans.  But when you want a long meaningful conversation many would argue making a phone call (or meeting face to face, even more ancient) is preferable.
    Yeah he doesn't have to make sense he has been jumping on every swtor thread for five years and crying about the game.  Clearly his desperation is at an all time high with this latest round of QQing. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Gorwe said:
    Goromhir said:
    1. HUD Auto Targeting instead of Stoneage TAB targeting, AutoTarget doesnt work well in SWTOR....  far to inconvient to target something in groups (look at  Guildwars 2´s new targeting... its awesome )

1. Agreed. I'd prefer something like when in TSW you press...X(eh...a bit of help here @Po_gg ) and then it turns into semi third person. That'd be nice yes.
    You press T for that :wink:  (same goes for STO ground combat when you go into shooter-mode)

Besides that, I agree with the majority (even if I don't really care about combat), TOR's combat doesn't need a change.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The engine is terrible - and there's no way to turn it into a playable action game.

Personally, I think SWtOR is a very mediocre game at best - and the engine is just making it worse. The best part of the game is clearly the story and high quality voice acting - and the sad thing is that the story isn't that great, and to put an epic Star Wars story together with drone-like MMO gameplay was a very bad choice. Definitely, the game is much better with the increased XP - but I think it's a bit of a joke that it only really works when you enable players to skip 80% of the content to make it bearable.

What we need is a new Star Wars game with a new engine - but I very much doubt we'll be seeing that anytime soon.

Seems the suits and the AAA mindset has moved away from MMOs - and so there's never going to be enough money for a proper game.

Maybe if Star Citizen works out, it will pave the way for AAA production values for the crowdfunded model - but then I doubt Disney would want to be involved.

Essentially, what we have right now is the best we can hope for - for a very long time.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Personally i think Swtor has the most fun combat of any mmo on the market ,the choice of skills has been well thought out and the balance feels just right .start messing with cooldowns and ruin balance of the game ,tho i do agree about the companions why ? did they make them all do the same things .
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Torval said:
    As much as I've always wanted Tera style combat in SWTOR.  This is a really unrealistic idea.  The amount of work this undertaking would require would make more sense to just make a completely new mmo.  As I've gotten older I've come to the realization that both combat systems offer something.  I doubt either one will ever usurp the role of mmo standard.  

Just a bit of advise.  You can post your opinion without having to bash a system (tab target) that many here love.  Bashing that system comes off as pretentious.  The world doesn't revolve around you.
    Yeah, you really nailed it. I would love combat like Tera, Neverwinter, Shadow of Mordor, or Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in my Star Wars MMO. I love that stuff. But I'm also happy with TOR and the combat. It's become of my favorite mmos.

Once a game has a combat system in place it's really hard, if not impossible, to change that without changing the entire game. It's just not going to happen for so many reasons.

I also agree that points can be made without trashing an entire combat style - tab target, action, hybrids.
    All those are fantasy games where most combat is being done either by mashing swords at people or spells. Most people in the Star wars IP actuually uses a blaster so I kinda feel that demands a rather different system to really fit the IP well. I guess TORs system is acceptable but it lacks the Star wars feeling for me.

I kinda feel that Star wars should have active aiming to be closer to the movies but changing TOR to fit that probably wouldn't work anyways, the mechanics is so tied in with the game that you would have to do a massive change and we seen a certain other SW game that tried to change it's mechanics and it upset the fans rather much.

How many people in the movies actually uses melee weapons? The heroes who do is basically just Luke and Ben. And yet TORs mechanics seems totally focused on melee to me. Lightsabers certainly is one of the thing that makes SW SW but having everyone and their mother using one takes away the point of it.

Still, I wish someone made a SW game that felt closer to the movies, TOR feels far more like clone wars to me then real Star wars, both storywise and the combat. That doesn't mean I think TOR should close down or anything but the IP could easily hold 2 MMOs.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

If you want an MMO with twitch-based combat then go play Terra, Guild Wars 2 or ESO. Tab Targeting may be old but I think it works best for MMO's and it works well in SWTOR.
    GW2 is far from twitch based.  In fact the only game I'd say is twitch based is Darkfall UH.  ESO is just really fast paced and Tera well idk about that one.

immodium said:
    Vutar said:

Okay, i'll use your reasoning then. WoW has had more subs than all the action combat games combined. Tab target wins by your reasoning. Next...
    No it hasn't.

EDIT: Oh I get it, single player games don't have subs so WoW wins by default.
    Actually over 50% of the forum users on this website prefer tab target....

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446322/your-pick-between-these-3-combat-styles-fps-tps-eso-tera-tab-targeting-eq-wow/p1
    Are you onto something or just on something?