Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NC SOFT, about the only..

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
NC Soft about the only MMORPG company that a mmo player can put some trust in.  I as of late have been looking at the many developers and game companies that have stayed true to its base.  NC Soft is the only one out of many which has stuck to its mmo guns.

What do you think of NC Soft?  Do you play any of NC Softs games?

I once thought Blizzard was the only game company I could put faith in.  But looking back since 1998.  NC Soft is the only company that has not let me down in a big way( I do miss Dungeon Runner"BLING").  But that is about it.  Blizzard is  a great company.  But they are a gaming company.  With a variety of different games.

NC Soft still holds true to just mmo's! 

Which company do you like?

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited March 2016
    Didn't they have a reputation to shut down games even if said games can beat operational costs?  Granted, Wildstar is still up (despite cutting costs recently) and GW2 is trying to be self-sufficient with what I would assume to be NCsoft's blessing (despite NCsoft stating it didn't do as well as it hoped with the mini expansion released and that they were looking at ways to improve it).

My own experiences with NCsoft have been relatively good.  They refunded mistakes made both on their and my own parts in the past.  Something that couldn't be said of some other companies who tried to take months to settle a case with a policy if you don't respond in 48 hours (each time they try to extend it with a message) the case is settled.  Blade N Soul is also doing fairly well and updating frequently (with giving customers free cash shop items as a thanks, of which prompted me to buy an outfit in that game from feeling like an appreciated customer as a whole).

They are also going to release the FFXI OSi application (Edit: Was thinking of Nexxon, as Wizardry noted), as well as (hopefully) Peria Chronicles, of which I have been looking forward to for many years.  They are experienced developers and publishers at the very least.

With that said, I suppose that I am a fan of NCsoft.  Same goes with Square in terms of their two western MMOs and how often they update FFXIV.  Blizzard is probably one of the worst companies when it comes to MMOs, as they don't support their expansions for half their life cycle with 15 month droughts, despite accepting money from paying customers.  No real integrity as they just focus on things that will make them more money (another $50 expansion and cash shop mounts).  Though their online game support besides that are top notch via Diablo III and old games such as D2 and WCIII (both of which are getting updates again despite being so old).
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2016
    Yes of course Lineage 1 and 2 have such a great track record of botting and corruption and very poor GM /support ,aside from the games the business itself is VERY shotty at best.
    After my time in L2 i had launched NCSOFT ahead of SOE and Frogster for being the worst dev/publisher on the planet,so i find it hilarious anyone could use the word TRUST in the same sentence as NCSOFT.

Oh did i mention the debacle with lord british and how they tried to cheat him of his money and closed down TR just to spite Lord British and his brother without giving a dam about the gamer's.
    I doubt they are handling the FFXI OSI,as that is Nexxon and Square collaboration,no need to use NCSOFT unless it is strictly for Korean purposes but that would be ok because i would be able ot stay clear of NCSOFT.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    As far as I know they had two games they shut down. Heroes and Villians and Dungeon Runners. Both of which were very good games.  There was internal conflicts between the developer and publishers.  They have done very well. Have worked with players to give them what they want. 
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    NC$oft does not give a DAMN about the player.  All they care about are the mega profits.  City of Heroes was profitable.  But not to NC$oft standards.  It doesn't make them mega-millions.  And yes, the whole Lord British debacle with Tabula Rasa.  And soon, Wildstar will be added to that list.  I will NEVER put my trust in NC$oft.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    NC$oft does not give a DAMN about the player.  All they care about are the mega profits.  City of Heroes was profitable.  But not to NC$oft standards.  It doesn't make them mega-millions.  And yes, the whole Lord British debacle with Tabula Rasa.  And soon, Wildstar will be added to that list.  I will NEVER put my trust in NC$oft.
    There is a lot of butt hurt in this post.
    Wizardry said:
    Yes of course Lineage 1 and 2 have such a great track record of botting and corruption and very poor GM /support ,aside from the games the business itself is VERY shotty at best.
    After my time in L2 i had launched NCSOFT ahead of SOE and Frogster for being the worst dev/publisher on the planet,so i find it hilarious anyone could use the word TRUST in the same sentence as NCSOFT.

Oh did i mention the debacle with lord british and how they tried to cheat him of his money and closed down TR just to spite Lord British and his brother without giving a dam about the gamer's.
    I doubt they are handling the FFXI OSI,as that is Nexxon and Square collaboration,no need to use NCSOFT unless it is strictly for Korean purposes but that would be ok because i would be able ot stay clear of NCSOFT.
      Ok, first, what is TR? Must have passed me by since the original Lineage.  Also, botting and exploits were very common among most mmo's back in the day.  I  also do not know of Lord British unless you are talking Ultima.  I do not stick to nerd politics too much.  So help me out here!
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    TR = Tabula Rasa
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    xpowderx said:
    NC Soft about the only MMORPG company that a mmo player can put some trust in.  I as of late have been looking at the many developers and game companies that have stayed true to its base.  NC Soft is the only one out of many which has stuck to its mmo guns.

What do you think of NC Soft?  Do you play any of NC Softs games?

I once thought Blizzard was the only game company I could put faith in.  But looking back since 1998.  NC Soft is the only company that has not let me down in a big way( I do miss Dungeon Runner"BLING").  But that is about it.  Blizzard is  a great company.  But they are a gaming company.  With a variety of different games.

NC Soft still holds true to just mmo's! 

Which company do you like?

Nice try NCSOFT PR guy! 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited March 2016
    I think NC Soft is the best in the business and have been saying this for years. I love their games but their Western division is a joke when it comes to  Bots, Cheaters and Gold Sellers. They just dont care at all.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited March 2016
    1. Lineage 2 - bot infested, gold sellers, spam bots, almost no support, back in 2006 I think there was an article about NCsoft activly working with botters and gold sellers. They had contracts with those guys and banned ppl who activly killed bots. fe: EverRed
    2. CoV/CoH - shutdown
    3. Aion - bot infested, gold sellers, spam bots, almost no support
    4. Guild Wars 2 - shitload of bots on release and hacked accounts. My GW2 account was hacked, when game was still new. Support was so god damn slow, that they needed a bit over 2 weeks to ban the guy who used my account for botting and then another 1.5 weeks to give me my account back with no items and no restoration at all. During the process my case switched 6 different support guys, and every single one of them wanted to hear my story anew. great time
    5. Blade and Soul - they waited for 4 fucking years to port this game. Most of the content are ig shop items. A stupid costume skin costs around 15€. You whine about Blizzard being greedy with their mounts? At least you can use them on all your characters and servers, while you can use your BnS costume only on the character you bought it for. Also, you dont need to buy mounts in wow, because that game is fkin full of em..hundreds of farmable mounts, while BnS only has a limited set of costumes you can get for free and that AFTER 4 YEARS!

First ncsoft game that I played was Lineage in 2004 I think and I played a lot of their games(la2, gw, gw2, cov, coh, aion, bns, ws).

To sum it up:
    NCsoft doesnt give a shit about bots, gold sellers and spambots. They refuse to hire more support.

Nope, not a fan at all.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The next game from NCSoft looks really fun and I cant wait to play it. Lineage Eternal is going to be huge also.

MasterXMaster

So, now we are clearing the air.  What mmorpg company is successful and does not have the complaints stated above?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    They cancelled City of Heroes. So I'm not their biggest fan. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Gaoxin said:
    1. Lineage 2 - bot infested, gold sellers, spam bots, almost no support, back in 2006 I think there was an article about NCsoft activly working with botters and gold sellers. They had contracts with those guys and banned ppl who activly killed bots. fe: EverRed
    2. CoV/CoH - shutdown
    3. Aion - bot infested, gold sellers, spam bots, almost no support
    4. Guild Wars 2 - shitload of bots on release and hacked accounts. My GW2 account was hacked, when game was still new. Support was so god damn slow, that they needed a bit over 2 weeks to ban the guy who used my account for botting and then another 1.5 weeks to give me my account back with no items and no restoration at all. During the process my case switched 6 different support guys, and every single one of them wanted to hear my story anew. great time
    5. Blade and Soul - they waited for 4 fucking years to port this game. Most of the content are ig shop items. A stupid costume skin costs around 15€. You whine about Blizzard being greedy with their mounts? At least you can use them on all your characters and servers, while you can use your BnS costume only on the character you bought it for. Also, you dont need to buy mounts in wow, because that game is fkin full of em..hundreds of farmable mounts, while BnS only has a limited set of costumes you can get for free and that AFTER 4 YEARS!

First ncsoft game that I played was Lineage in 2004 I think and I played a lot of their games(la2, gw, gw2, cov, coh, aion, bns, ws).

To sum it up:
    NCsoft doesnt give a shit about bots, gold sellers and spambots. They refuse to hire more support.

Nope, not a fan at all.

While I already mentioned shut down games and agree with their botting issues (as well as having my own problems with GW2), when it comes to Blade N Soul there are a number of fallacies regarding your statements.  Namely, costumes are around $10-15 each depending on the set, how new it is and if any sale is going on.  They use the stereotypical cheap tactic of only selling their currency in $5 increments, which could in fact lead you to spending $20 when you only wanted to spend $11, which is definitely a negative in my book.

Though through actually playing the game, I've noticed there wasn't a lot of reason for me to buy costumes at all, simply because there are so many available through gameplay.  In fact, I got my first set after a few hours of playing.  In one of the first areas, you can farm a mini-boss that spawns every minute and gives you 2-5 gambling tokens.  Use these tokens on a wheel and you get costumes from it.  I managed to get three costumes and two hats in 30 minutes.  To go into further detail, if you use the outfit system, you will see how many outfits are available via similar systems and dungeons.  The number available greatly exceeds the very limited Cash Shop section, which it also plainly states.

Additionally, there was a post from NCsoft stating they are working on a system to be able to transfer bought costumes.  Though I feel $10-15 is appropriate -- much better than $30 costumes of other games -- when the game is F2P as a whole.  In fact, I buy a new costume every time I make a new character just for those few hours prior to being unable to unlock additional ones from the gambling system since it matches or is lower than a monthly fee as a whole.

Likewise, all of these costumes are optional, and the vast majority of them are available by playing the game according to their outfitting system.  In addition, they're releasing actual content and until they stop, BnS is vastly superior to WoW and their mandatory $180/year plus their plans of "yearly $50" expansions with absolutely no new content beyond that (as seen via WoD, as well as MoP and Cata in their last 12-15 months).

There's no feasibly way to deny this beyond preferring one game over the other and absolutely neglecting the facts on both games.  With WoW being my game of choice if I had to choose between it and BnS (with me losing interest in BnS by level 30 before starting a new character) what with me genuinely believing it was / is an amazing game that has little to no content support.

xpowderx said:
    So, now we are clearing the air.  What mmorpg company is successful and does not have the complaints stated above?

I'm pretty sure this is moreso rhetorical, as every MMO has some sort of problem, especially the ones stated in this thread.  Nothing wrong with being a fan of NCsoft or to objectively compare one game to another while bringing publishers into the matter.  Though some people usually let their bias show in both matters -- either their hatred for one or the other without looking at the whole picture.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Them closing down City of Heroes/Villains was rather upsetting. Their games have a huge number of bots too so I'm not saying that they are bad but not that they are very good either.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    They killed Dungeon Runners, Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa (in a very underhanded fashion), City of Heroes (despite the fact it was still making money), and have a reputation of treating western developers and customers like absolute crap. They're the Electronic Arts of the Koreas, and given their xenophobia, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out it was actually owned by that little toadie Kim Jong-Un. 

Even Nexon looks good compared to them, IMO. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Yeah sorry, but they ruined Aion with lack of updates, too little, too late. By time they started to switch things around to a decent model of game play, the players had already left. They also keep Arena Net on a very short leash, I can only imagine that is one of the main reasons GW2 is slowly going under, as they've lost all their main talent recently, and cancelled new features that players were excited for.

They are also about to shut down Wildstar just like their other games even though it's still turning a profit, it's just not enough for them. I don't think it will take them very long to put Blade and Soul on hiatus either. If it's not making more cash than it should, it gets the plug pulled.

I don't trust ANY publisher companies to be honest, I trust some development studios, but I don't trust publishers, they are all shady in my opinion. There's a few companies I have my eyes on, and my fingers crossed that they do a good job, like CSE (Camelot Unchained), or CIG (Star Citizen), but I can't trust Brad with Pantheon yet, I hope he does great though. I also can't trust Lord British on Shroud of the Avatar, plus I've already seen gameplay and it looks like another flop to me, I hope it does great, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not even holding my breath on Star Citizen, even though I support it constantly.

The only MMO game on the horizon that I have any hope for anymore is Camelot Unchained, I guess we will see what it's like once Beta 1 starts. Crowfall really turned me off the last two weeks with their class teaser videos, where Thomas Blair was telling us how to play the classes by saying, "just mash the 6 key and you win this fight." 
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    edited March 2016
    They killed Dungeon Runners, Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa (in a very underhanded fashion), City of Heroes (despite the fact it was still making money), and have a reputation of treating western developers and customers like absolute crap. They're the Electronic Arts of the Koreas, and given their xenophobia, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out it was actually owned by that little toadie Kim Jong-Un. 

Even Nexon looks good compared to them, IMO. 

I find it hard to believe the OP didn't remember any of this before posting NC Soft is the best trash or troll thread.  I find NC Soft to be one of the companies I avoid like the plague as they will shutdown anything.

BnS?  Requires game guard.  nuff' said
    Linage Eternal?  Please it'll be botted and a festering nightmare.

This and Ubisoft are in the same manner of crapastic developers/publishers that are still around.  Actually it would be a boon of EA had the ability to buy out the company.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Is this supposed to be a joke? There's no MMORPG publisher out there I trust LESS than NCSOFT. The MMORPG graveyard has a separate section just for NCSoft games.

• City of Heroes
    • Tabula Rasa
    • Auto Assault
    • Dungeon Runners
    • Exteel
    They've been accused of stealing source code, the shutdown of Paragon Studios was extremely shady, and they were even successfully sued by Richard Garriott at one point.

Seriously, $#%^ NCSoft.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What is this trust thing you speak of?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Only game i played for decent amount of time is Lineage 2 for obvious reasons. All their games are bot infested and usually fail at launch in the West.
  • subitodansubitodan Member UncommonPosts: 5
    How can you say "I don't follow nerd politics" and then throw all of your proverbial weight towards a player in that field?

That's like saying I don't/havent watched or read any news or articles at all but I like Political Candidate A because he wears blue suits.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Realizer said:

The only MMO game on the horizon that I have any hope for anymore is Camelot Unchained
    Or you can play other types of online games. There are tons of good ones. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Realizer said:

The only MMO game on the horizon that I have any hope for anymore is Camelot Unchained
    Or you can play other types of online games. There are tons of good ones. 
    I picture you with long unkempt hair and beard, wearing a dirty white robe, standing on a street corner with a sign that reads "MMORPGs are dead!"
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure, should not trust any company. They all very shady the way they do things. More trust you put in a company more money they take from you. People would say that would never happen, then they are the first in line to get burned.