Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what a game thread should look like ...

LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
Just thought I'd post this BDO game thread discussion going on Reddit.  Over 200 responses and not a negative post to be seen.  Everyone is discussing the game in a civilized and informative manner.  Would be nice to see this type of BDO discussion being held on MMORPG.com. Sadly that does not seem possible with the number of posters on this site who do nothing but criticize not only BDO, but every game that is released.   MMORPG.com is a great site but its forum community leaves much to be desired.  Only posting this with hopes that it will one day change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4atlqz/daum_qa_summary/

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I think the issue is that on a site where you have numerous people looking at numerous games, you get people who just have no issue in particular games. Then you get the people who have to say something negative every chance they get.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    There is nothing wrong with intelligent and/or constructive criticism. It's the flaming and White Knighting by Asstards that bring a good discussion into the gutter.

Now for an interesting read, thanks for the link.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited March 2016
    Literally the first comment I saw after scrolling past the initial post was negative, ending with "I am not sure if Daum/PearlAbyss are idiots or simply plain moronic ?". Lols

There is plenty of BDO hate on reddit, not sure how you're missing it.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Sovrath said:
    I think the issue is that on a site where you have numerous people looking at numerous games, you get people who just have no issue in particular games. Then you get the people who have to say something negative every chance they get.

I agree.  It's okay to voice a difference in opinion.  The intent here is not to silence an opposing point of view. I am all for a good debate.  The difference on this site being that some posters go on all out negative bashing crusades against a game.  It's like the game did something to their relative or something.  It's dumbfounding tbh lol
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2016
    You're biased.  It's Reddit and the game is new, so people are fanboying it.  A reply like "We shouldn't expect changes to happen fast" gets 100 upvotes.  Next highest reply with 32 upvotes is "Launch was smooth".

Criticism gets downvoted so you don't see it.  It's not like it doesn't exist- it's Reddit though so you don't see it unless you scroll way down or open replies that are hidden from being too downvoted.

You like the game so you want the forum to be the same way.

Nothing wrong with that- I fanboy games I like too.  It's natural but you can't expect a gaming forum to suit your preference in games.
    collekt said:
    Literally the first comment I saw after scrolling past the initial post was negative, ending with "I am not sure if Daum/PearlAbyss are idiots or simply plain moronic ?". Lols

You're taking the post out of context.  I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any differences of opinion being made.  Those types of remarks are perfectly normal in civilized discussions.  On any given day one might feel compelled to call a family member an idiot or simply plain moronic but that doesn't mean they don't love that family member.  Point being, that is a largely positive discussion being held regarding outstanding issues on the game.  You have to look pretty hard to find anything that would be considered flaming or toxic.  Everything is relevant and constructive.
    You're biased.  It's Reddit and the game is new, so people are fanboying it.  A reply like "We shouldn't expect changes to happen fast" gets 100 upvotes.  Next highest reply with 32 upvotes is "Launch was smooth".

Criticism gets downvoted so you don't see it.  It's not like it doesn't exist- it's Reddit though so you don't see it unless you scroll way down or open replies that are hidden from being too downvoted.

Nothing wrong with that- I fanboy games I like too.  It's natural but you can't expect a gaming forum to suit your preference in games.

Again, you're missing the point.  See my prior post. The discussion is largely constructive.  This has nothing to do with being a fan boy or a white knight.  It's about having civilized and constructive discussion.  Merely that and nothing more.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    collekt said:
    Rose tinted glasses, the fanboy's preferred apparatus.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Just thought I'd post this BDO game thread discussion going on Reddit.  Over 200 responses and not a negative post to be seen.  Everyone is discussing the game in a civilized and informative manner.  Would be nice to see this type of BDO discussion being held on MMORPG.com. Sadly that does not seem possible with the number of posters on this site who do nothing but criticize not only BDO, but every game that is released.   MMORPG.com is a great site but its forum community leaves much to be desired.  Only posting this with hopes that it will one day change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4atlqz/daum_qa_summary/
    "And now you've gone and fucked it up" (Angry Joe quote).
    edited March 2016
    Scambug said:
    collekt said:
    That really wan't the point of the OP's thread now was it?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Scambug said:
    collekt said:
    I wasn't quoting or answering the OP.
    edited March 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Scambug said:
    collekt said:

The thread is going over people's head.  I think the responses on this thread go further to make my point than my OP does.  Even a mention of civilized discussion gets flamed on this forum. Pretty ironic lol

I'm off to play the game.  Carry on with the flaming folks.  Make us proud.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    It was pretty easy for me to find toxic posts in there is all I'm saying. If you meant the majority were positive then fine, but that's not how your OP came off.
    Since when is calling someone a fanboy flaming? Do we have another term for "biased fan"? None that I'm aware of.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2016

Again, you're missing the point.  See my prior post. The discussion is largely constructive.  This has nothing to do with being a fan boy or a white knight.  It's about having civilized and constructive discussion.  Merely that and nothing more.
    Er, not seeing a lot of discussion to be honest.  Just a lot of "I agree with what the Devs said" "Hey bud, I agree with you." "Yeah man, I agree with your agreeing with that other guy!"
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    Scambug said:
    Pretty much this.

Once it is praising the game, it is considered "constructive" discussion but if you dare to say anything supposedly negative, you are imediately hater and bashing the game...

It isn't the first and won't be the last time on these boards...
    Gdemami said:
    Scambug said:
    Pretty much this.

Once it is praising the game, it is considered "constructive" discussion but if you dare to say anything supposedly negative, you are imediately hater and bashing the game...

Hardly. 

There is a contingent of people who "think" they are being constructive in their criticism but it always falls miserably low of the mark.

This is not to say that there aren't apologists in gaming communities. Then again maybe the issues brought up aren't issues for them and maybe they are the true audience for those games?

In which case why do the "haters" constantly circle around and inject their thoughts into the discussion when they have no interest in the game or really any interest in a real debate.

"oh wait" I just answered my own question.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited March 2016
    Not sure how you take idiotic or moronic out of context...

More to the point, I see plenty of hate on reddit more so than I have ever seen on this forum recently tbh.  Having said that, you should have been here before they really started moderating these forums.  You think I am an Ass and difficult, abrasive, there were people here that made me look down right civil.  No joke.  Be happy this forum is what it is today, it used to be so much worse.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited March 2016
    Even with a total member count of 3,274,406 ( ha ha ha), the forum activity still comes down to only a few people. Many of them are vets that came to question the genre in general. With the games released in the past ten years, there was alot of room for critic and negativity.

In terms of BDO the general mood is rather good for this website and i like that so many people agree to each other and that the whole conversation has a surprisingly positive drift altogether.

I guess all it takes for a more positive discussion is the industry starting to make good games again.
    Until then, people will be calling crap when someone serves them crap.

Hatefull said:

More to the point, I see plenty of hate on reddit more so than I have ever seen on this forum tbh.  Having said that, you should have been here before they really started moderating these forums.  You think I am an Ass and difficult, abrasive, there were people here that made me look down right civil.  No joke.  Be happy this forum is what it is today, it used to be so much worse.
    People are missing the point here. 

The OP is not staying "look, redditt is a bastion of manners and civility and there we see a civil discussion about a game".

He is saying "there is a discussion on reddit that is civil. This is what discussions should be like".

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Sovrath said:
    Hatefull said:

More to the point, I see plenty of hate on reddit more so than I have ever seen on this forum tbh.  Having said that, you should have been here before they really started moderating these forums.  You think I am an Ass and difficult, abrasive, there were people here that made me look down right civil.  No joke.  Be happy this forum is what it is today, it used to be so much worse.
    People are missing the point here. 

The OP is not staying "look, redditt is a bastion of manners and civility and there we see a civil discussion about a game".

He is saying "there is a discussion on reddit that is civil. This is what discussions should be like".
    Oh I get his point, my point is:

This forum has come a long way and while there are bad seeds every forums has them, this one isn't nearly as bad.  You have a large amount of people discussing a large amount of games you will have disagreements.  Some times very passionate disagreements.  However, I can't remember the last time I saw a big FU fest take place on these forums.

If you want examples go here  That is the highbrow conversation that is Reddit.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Sovrath said:
    Scambug said:
    collekt said:

The thread is going over people's head.  I think the responses on this thread go further to make my point than my OP does.  Even a mention of civilized discussion gets flamed on this forum. Pretty ironic lol

I'm off to play the game.  Carry on with the flaming folks.  Make us proud.
    Why even bother making this thread?

"Hey MMORPG.com community, stop communicating like cavemen. Look at how constructively reddit talks about BDO."

I'm sure you knew how this was going to turn out. 
    edited March 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Hardly. 

There is a contingent of people who "think" they are being constructive in their criticism but it always falls miserably low of the mark.

This is not to say that there aren't apologists in gaming communities. Then again maybe the issues brought up aren't issues for them and maybe they are the true audience for those games?

In which case why do the "haters" constantly circle around and inject their thoughts into the discussion when they have no interest in the game or really any interest in a real debate.

"oh wait" I just answered my own question.
    Yep, because:

If you have no issue with the game, no one else does.
    If you do have issue with the game, then you are not the "true" audience.
    If you are not a "true" audience, you have no interest in "real" debate and "inject your thoughts" into discussions.

You demonstrated OP's point fairly well - he is not interested in any constructive discussions but echo chambers.
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Gdemami said:
    Scambug said:
    Pretty much this.

Lol, right on spot!
    It always amazes me how criticism in gamer community is called "hate" - like someone would ever hate any game for real!?
    edited March 2016
    Balticthunder said:
    Lol, right on spot!
    It always amazes me how criticism in gamer community is called "hate" - like someone would ever hate any game for real!?
    To be honest, some people here seem to truly have "hate problems". But it swings both ways, biased fans can be equally blindedfolded...