Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worse Grafics than most games from 2005

13»

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I will admit the first time I saw the project I thought 'Scam', and I am still not completely convinced the current pre-alpha executables could not have been easily developed by a skilled individual for a minuscule 10,000 USD.

But then again I can be quite paranoid at times, I have been told.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Any game that sports voxels will need to play that into their art style. It's worth the stylized graphics for what you gain with voxels. This type of tech changes how we play games and we need that more then top notch graphics that quickly becomes outdated. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wizardry said:

Obviously i can have my opinion changed easily if a game delivers,i am just not sold on anything so far.My main beef and concern is that they took the BEST idea in the game and just stuck it in a cash shop,others are ok with that because i am not.
    I would want to EARN my location,EARN my wares,EARN my castle,EARN my materials to build and improve my castle,i don't want my entire game play taken out for a cash shop. [...]
    The castles that you can buy in the cash shop can only be used in the Eternal Kingdoms (personal housing maps). The campaigns, where the real MMO game takes place, have item restriction: you can't bring castles and you can only bring a limited amount of items. In many campaigns, players can not bring any item at all, they have to start from scratch and collect/gather/trade/build/craft/ everything from A to Z.

The plan is to restrict the Cash Shop impact to the personal housing (EK) area, and severely limit its impact on the campaigns.

So far the type of campaign that is the most affected by CS is the RvR God's Reach, and the impact is still minimal: "only equipped gears can be imported". They're not selling gears or resources in the CS.

About 50% of all the campaigns allow 0 item import: those who want every players to start on equal footing can join those campaigns.
    Thanks ,unlike others,you did a good job at explaining even still i don't accept their cash shop.

When i play a game ,i want everything in game to be EARNED through the  game,i would ONLY accept a cash shop that is selling something OUTSIDE the game,like maybe real live figurines or signed posters or whatever.

Also i do not accept what the game is selling,imo it offers nothing you can't get better elsewhere,what exactly is the  selling point?

it is nice for this site that JTodd spends lots of money getting favorable advertising,but i always use my own brain and not listen to advertising.If i see something worth buying into ,i will mention it,if i see ho hum ,i will state it as such ,if i see low budget or a game that offers VERY little ,i will state  it as such.

I lol@ the guy trying to claim i never played Runes of Magic because i misspelled a word lmao,good try ..../NOT.I guarantee i will misspell words in almost every single post i ever make,i can't type and often am just plain tired making posts at 2 or 3 am in the morning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    How over-all are the character models is there even any in game pictures yet, and graphics are one thing ,but game-play is another too sometime like in BDO the graphics are great but the game-play sucks and its behind a pay 2 enjoy pay-wall...

I am hoping crowfall will be decent.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Wizardry said:

Obviously i can have my opinion changed easily if a game delivers,i am just not sold on anything so far.My main beef and concern is that they took the BEST idea in the game and just stuck it in a cash shop,others are ok with that because i am not.
    I would want to EARN my location,EARN my wares,EARN my castle,EARN my materials to build and improve my castle,i don't want my entire game play taken out for a cash shop. [...]
    The castles that you can buy in the cash shop can only be used in the Eternal Kingdoms (personal housing maps). The campaigns, where the real MMO game takes place, have item restriction: you can't bring castles and you can only bring a limited amount of items. In many campaigns, players can not bring any item at all, they have to start from scratch and collect/gather/trade/build/craft/ everything from A to Z.

The plan is to restrict the Cash Shop impact to the personal housing (EK) area, and severely limit its impact on the campaigns.

So far the type of campaign that is the most affected by CS is the RvR God's Reach, and the impact is still minimal: "only equipped gears can be imported". They're not selling gears or resources in the CS.

About 50% of all the campaigns allow 0 item import: those who want every players to start on equal footing can join those campaigns.
    When i play a game ,i want everything in game to be EARNED through the  game,i would ONLY accept a cash shop that is selling something OUTSIDE the game,like maybe real live figurines or signed posters or whatever.

Also i do not accept what the game is selling,imo it offers nothing you can't get better elsewhere,what exactly is the  selling point? [...]
    I understand your point and I also prefer to have spent time and effort to acquire an item in-game rather than just purchasing it in the store, otherwise I don't feel the same kind of gratification.

The monetization of games, especially MMO with small audience, is pretty complicated I think, because on one hand I agree that a Cash Shop is not ideal, but what are the other options? 1) Subscription, which requires a player base large enough to become viable financially, and it's pretty hard to launch new titles with this kind of pricing model since many high quality MMORPGs are free-to-play. 2) BuytoPlay only like Guild Wars 1. Pretty nice model and fair I think, but if they sell boxes for $50, they'll need to sell a lot to even cover the cost of the development. It often comes with expansions that cost about the same price as the original and if we don't purchase, new content is locked. 3) Free-to-play + Cash shop, that's what a lot of new games are going for, basically they let 3/4 of the players play for "free" and the rest are spending a lot of money in CS for cosmetics and gameplay advantages.

So that's pretty much the 3 big options we see nowadays I think, and only 1 would be viable for Crowfall I guess  and it's the free-to-play model with cash shop... and they didn't want that kind of pricing model (thanks ACE).

They went with a combination of B2P + optional sub (granting only reasonable benefits imo) + store selling things mostly for the personal housing area, so presumably not impacting too much on gameplay. I think it's one of the least bad alternative. Not ideal as I said, but they still have to make money somewhere, or the game will probably no exist long after launch.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Renoaku said:
    How over-all are the character models is there even any in game pictures yet, and graphics are one thing ,but game-play is another too sometime like in BDO the graphics are great but the game-play sucks and its behind a pay 2 enjoy pay-wall...

I am hoping crowfall will be decent.
    The combat is being worked on, they'll probably improve it a lot in the next few months.

Here's a gameplay video with 5 archetypes: Ranger, Confessor (fire mage), Knight (tank), Champion and Legionnaire (centaur).

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I think the game looks good. It's got a nice art style that will scale well with older hardware. Also, stylized graphics age much ,much better than more 'realistic' graphics. Just look at WoW and EQ2 side by side. EQ2 looks positively ancient, and while WoW's graphics are showing their age, they still look fairly good. 

Admittedly, EQ2 never really had good looking graphics. Technically impressive yes, but they stuck out like bad CG in a movie. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    this was my big gripe about WildStar and we all saw how that went..i do understand that grafix dont really mean much but imo if its that much of a turn off i for one wont play it..also it seems if their mechanics are soo great why go so uber cheap on grafix,surely they could go with a step up better or hell, even Shadowbanes grafix would be nice..but i guess they gotta sucker in the wow/mindcraft crowd..but look at every korean mmorpg thats comming out now ..its as pretty as a new day sun but once you play an hour of it your ready to beat your head on the corner of the desk because its soooooo bad ...i guess  all these things really go hand n hand but imo they could do a better look but imo you cant take a PVP centric mmorpg serious if it looks like sat. morning cartoons
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Way too early to make graphic judgements. They look decent so far...

• Shas_TraitorShas_Traitor Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:
    I lol@ the guy trying to claim i never played Runes of Magic because i misspelled a word lmao,good try ..../NOT.I guarantee i will misspell words in almost every single post i ever make,i can't type and often am just plain tired making posts at 2 or 3 am in the morning.
    I concede that I may have simply overestimated your ability to spell.

I will admit the first time I saw the project I thought 'Scam', and I am still not completely convinced the current pre-alpha executables could not have been easily developed by a skilled individual for a minuscule 10,000 USD.

But then again I can be quite paranoid at times, I have been told.

True story.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    this was my big gripe about WildStar and we all saw how that went..i do understand that grafix dont really mean much but imo if its that much of a turn off i for one wont play it..also it seems if their mechanics are soo great why go so uber cheap on grafix,surely they could go with a step up better or hell, even Shadowbanes grafix would be nice..but i guess they gotta sucker in the wow/mindcraft crowd..but look at every korean mmorpg thats comming out now ..its as pretty as a new day sun but once you play an hour of it your ready to beat your head on the corner of the desk because its soooooo bad ...i guess  all these things really go hand n hand but imo they could do a better look but imo you cant take a PVP centric mmorpg serious if it looks like sat. morning cartoons
    I can't take a PvP-centric mmorpg seriously if the max players in a battle is 40 because the performance suffers when there's more than that.

They aren't going "cheap" on the graphics. It's a conscious choice to have graphics that look good, yet don't overly impact performance in large battles. It has nothing to do with trying to lure in WoW or Mindcraft players. Seriously? Those games aren't even remotely similar to CF. The style they have chosen for CF is less realistic, but it's far less cartoony than WildStar or WoW. And difference in game play between them is night and day.
  • MyNameIsVMyNameIsV Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited May 2016
    Yes, because graphics make the game.
    I still think Daggerfall is the greatest RPG of all time, and that looks like crap.

What about MUD's?

I think graphics are important, but gameplay is king. 

Looking forward to playing this, the videos look great.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Goromhir said:
    Cartoon Style or not, the textures look cheap and are LowRes. I expect way better texture resolution in the year 2016 than this. 

Even Vanguard (SOE) and many other older game look better. 

Look at the amor of the Knight at the Character Creator Screen. No Details just flat armor and a boring flat Shield with a few scratches. 

No 16x Anisotropic Filtering and now SMAA or whatever will correct or improve the bad texture quality.

We have Grafic Cards with 3000+ Shader Processors  , SLI and whatall. This company is programing a game for stoneage computers.

If this Game really needs a good computer then just because of sloppy coding...... 

I did not jump the hype train blindly just because a new game is coming and some people founded it that are now super fanboy´s because they put their money into this game.

Either the developers and the responsible Game Lead Designer compares his overall LowQuality Textures to other actual games and starts improving the visible quality of the game or me and many other wont buy this Old schoolísh looking game.

If i want to play WoW i can do that right now pretty quick..................... 

CROWFALL needs HiRes Textures or it looks like a stoneage game ....   Thank you
    Graphics really don't matter that much.

All the most popular mmo titles are around 10 years old, all the new and popular mmo titles with amazing graphics are niche titles.  FFXIV, Tera, Black Desert, Blade and Soul are all small fry compared to WoW and Lineage 1.  If graphics mean that much to you, why don't you play the ones I just mentioned?
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    graphics are ... one of the last things that i am worried about...

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• aushmeeaushmee Member UncommonPosts: 18
    First of all ppl need to accept its not just a MMORPG. Crowfall brings something new with its design.  its linking moba+mmo+total war. If you thinking its same as old MMO you are wrong you need to check the game and learn more about game design. If you care graphics and you are playing MMO games you already know better graphics not going well with mass PVP. We are talking about over 300 ppl. Not 20v20 or 50v50.  And campaigns will include over 1000 people.  I dont know a good graphics in any game with voxel technology.

1) Nice game mechanics 
             -is it long term game?
                   You ll see Crowfall is long term game when you consider game play                        style. MMOish+MOBAish+Total Warish. 8.5/10

- Can this game seduce new players in future ? This is important. If a                          mmo not fit this criteria it will die eventualy

Yes. New comers has oppurtinity to catch old players 9/10

-fighting mechanics : İts not tab targeting its enough for me <3 9/10

2) being sustainable

-is it freezing during pvp or pve
                        8/10
             - pings?
                         8/10
    3) Cash shop?
            -types of product in there
                   only cosmetics 10/10
    4) graphics?

meh.But its voxel game . I didnt see any voxel game with realistic graphics so i dont really care graphics for crowfall. 6/10
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    tawess said:
    Having looked over the games released in 05.... I feel confident in saying that the OP´s sensationalist title is objectively wrong.  
    Well, MMO wise I think OP is making the misstake and comparing with games that have been made in 2005 and updated since, like LOTRO.

Vanguard did look great at release though but it didn't run well at all, it took 3 years for it to be playable so it isn't a great example. AoC from 2008 looks better but Crowfall surely looks fine enough to play for me at least if the gameplay is fun.

The thing with graphics is that it certainly is good with a great looking game but it is the gameplay that makes people play it, not looks. If you have to make either gameplay or graphics great and the other one average which would you pick?

There are certainly things about Crowfall to worry about but graphics should not be one of those worries.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Everyone's touting the Indie / Crowd Funded movement as what's going to bring life back into this ailing genre. Assuming it can actually be done, (and I have more than serious doubts that it can)  what do you expect?

As of this post, their site says they have raised just over $7M. If it takes 50-100 Mil to develop a standard AAA MMORPG, and someone comes along and promises everything you ever wanted in a game and they'll do it for a fraction of the cost. People are going to complain......It lacks graphics, The animations are choppy and recycled. It's too buggy and un polished.......

Again, WTF do you want from an MMORPG developed for under 10M?

Next thing that will be said is that you want it for free.............Oh wait..........
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Performance > graphic.

I like the base graphic, and since the game will handle massive battles and sieges i prefer ot as minimalistic as possible than play the game like a slideshow.

Crowfall graphic is ok for this kind of gameplay.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Try making happen like it does without destroying your computer with great realistic looking graphics.
    Gameplay over graphics any day for me