Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAMember RarePosts: 1,813
    MaxBacon said:
    When you throw more money and people at a project the expectation is less time to complete the project.
    That'd be the case, if what was to be completed didn't increase in the number of features/scope, countering the effect it would have if you had a fixed scope given more resources.

It's not even much even in scope, they do a lot of R&D on everything, they are willing to redo, to refactor, prioritizing the design of how they want things to be over what their current engine and codebase can handle, hence the big push on engineering on the tech front.

That has a HUGE cost in time budget, but also what the backers support and allow them to do.
    Problem is those were self created changes. Totally unnecessary. Because what he wants to do isnt possible. Yet he has tried and tried and tried to make it possible. They reinvented the whole engine (twice) that didnt work. SO then They partner with Amazon (almost 2 years ago now) and that was when the defenders all came out and said 'watch how fast things get done now'. Yet its been a year since they admitted they joined with Amazon (after claiming they had been working secretly with them for a year before the announcement) and if anything stuff has slowed down.

The CLAIMS have gotten bigger and the lists  have gotten longer but actual DELIVERED 'product' has all but stopped.

SO now that the huge costs have all been diminished because (according to them) they finally have the 'right' engine and delivery system why do they need more money? Why are they taking loans out against themselves? Why the constant push for more and more funding? Doesnt make logical sense to me.

if the biggest cost is the tech that has been 'fixed'. Or has it?

Like I always say I just take the claims the pro camp makes and uses them as examples of the failure to deliver, and thats even taking into account hype.

This is just rehashing the same nonsense over and over.

So its awaste of time. I am going to go back into hold mode for another few months and then come back (like I generally do) to comment on how despite all the talk nothing new has been DELIVERED from this project.

My suggestion to you and all the other drones here that cheer lead  Roberts and company is this. STOP talking about promises and videos like its actually available. It isnt. Until its on the PTU it doesnt exist. Despite all the claims and video. I mean the secret testers still dont have it so its still way way way out there. I guess if you wanted to play the semantics game (which is your favorite) then when the testers get it you could claim it exists. But right now they dont even have it.  So thats that.

But you wont because its not the agenda. But since I am not getting paid I am not going to be on these sites posting non stop until the project finishes. I have already posted too much on it now. 
    DarkpigeonGdemami
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 4,079
    rodarin said:
    But you wont because its not the agenda. But since I am not getting paid I am not going to be on these sites posting non stop until the project finishes. I have already posted too much on it now. 
    Contentless rant... 

Man CIG should be paying people like you, such obsessions with the game do actually keep this game in the frontpages in many places across the internet with such regurgiated drama-llama for ongoing for years. What a great strategy.
    ErillionGdemami
  • sgelsgel Member RarePosts: 1,521
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:
    Contentless rant... 

Man CIG should be paying people like you, such obsessions with the game do actually keep this game in the frontpages in many places across the internet with such regurgiated drama-llama for ongoing for years. What a great strategy.
    lol it's not in the frontpages in many places... and when an article is posted, there's a myriad of negative comments underneath.
    If you enjoy that kind of publicity then good on you.
    MaxBaconOdeezee

..Cake..

edited October 4
    sgel said:
    lol it's not in the frontpages in many places... and when an article is posted, there's a myriad of negative comments underneath.
    If you enjoy that kind of publicity then good on you.
    When a negative article is posted, the armies are ralied, you see sites that have little readers and little attention, but when a SC article is posted, oh boy it shall rain clicks and flame wars in the comments sections! It's thanks to the people who stalk every SC article to talk down the game and those who do so to counter those people, fueling the SC topic through the web.

It's one brilliant epic marketing campaign of SC Drama that certainly has made millions aware of Star Citizen without CIG literally having to spend a dime!

The more they talk SC down, the more they say how much it is a scam, a failure, how bad it is, the more will SC bounce back as the game develops and reaches delivery milestones that will speak by themselves (a recent example being NMS).
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Gdemami
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 grenobleMember UncommonPosts: 316
    How about you guys stop fighting and we speak of how amazing Squadron42 will be instead?
    ScotchUp
  • Turrican187Turrican187 WernigerodeMember UncommonPosts: 633
    MaxBacon said:
    When you throw more money and people at a project the expectation is less time to complete the project.
    That'd be the case, if what was to be completed didn't increase in the number of features/scope, countering the effect it would have if you had a fixed scope given more resources.

It's not even much even in scope, they do a lot of R&D on everything, they are willing to redo, to refactor, prioritizing the design of how they want things to be over what their current engine and codebase can handle, hence the big push on engineering on the tech front.

That has a HUGE cost in time budget, but also what the backers support and allow them to do.
    He said this in the famous vote that was responsible for the scope change it was in line of "Do you want a better game without having to wait longer? Yes/No"

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member RarePosts: 681
    Star Citizen/Squadron42 can't be good because it's not released/finished yet. But it can be bad because it's not released/finished yet.

Announced and Pitched since 2012 it amassed ton's of media exposure and backers money, yet there's still nothing in the gaming market that comes close to what's playable in it's Alpha version.

Not even talking about graphics but the way mechanics are integrated and seamless interconnected. I'd be happy to play a "Star Citizen" universe with all that entails even with minecraft graphics, unfortunately there's no such thing. That's why all the attentions keep focused on Star Citizen.

It's good in a way that Star Citizen is always on the top of discussion forum's instead of being forgotten like most other games.

Whille 3.0 is cooking things will just keep going round and round so might as well ignore the downers and focus on gaming.

https://gfycat.com/faroffcalmhoopoe

ZandogKefoGdemami
  • ZandogZandog Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 45
    @MaxBacon don't bother bro. They have a bigger vested interest in seeing the game fail than you do convincing them otherwise. I just got back from a 3 week break from Star Citizen content. It was refreshing. I'll post again once 3.0 arrives. Regardless of what's said, no one will stop it.
    Gdemami
    Opinion only matters when accompanied by logic. 
  • hfztthfztt GlostrupMember RarePosts: 1,242
    edited October 4
    Just realized something.

SC is already an incredible success.

Probably one of the biggest MMO's out there and already released. (Fact!)

Half the players are P2W, or should I say paying to win.

Half the players are F2P, and as usual bitching while playing a free product.

Made me smile...

Enjoy you immersive RP PvP MMO gaming experience.

:p  B) >:)
    Post edited by hfztt on
    But Star Citizen is delivering features way ahead of other space games. It already has some of the most difficult stuff to pull in a space game like meaningful Space Legs, EVA, Multicrew all seamless integrated thanks to dozens of ship's already built inside and out with dynamic components, Highly detailed Space Stations you can walk on and mingle, planets coming next...

Plenty of games released years and years ago have tried and failed to pull that off while Star Citizen already has it while still in Alpha. 
    ErillionGdemamiFrodoFraginsOdeezee
    Babuinix said:
    But Star Citizen is delivering features way ahead of other space games. It already has some of the most difficult stuff to pull in a space game like meaningful Space Legs, EVA, Multicrew all seamless integrated thanks to dozens of ship's already built inside and out with dynamic components, Highly detailed Space Stations you can walk on and mingle, planets coming next...

Plenty of games released years and years ago have tried and failed to pull that off while Star Citizen already has it while still in Alpha. 
    Bleh. StarMade have them beat by years. Sure no shiny gfx, but the gameplay is there. Actually they have way more SC features up and running than SC have.

Just saying.
    ErillionOdeezee
    hfztt said:
    Babuinix said:

Bleh. StarMade have them beat by years. Sure no shiny gfx, but the gameplay is there. Actually they have way more SC features up and running than SC have.

Just saying.
    Not really a "simulation" or a "living breathing universe" makes it another Space themed Lego building game alike.
    Gdemami
    Zandog said:
    @MaxBacon don't bother bro. They have a bigger vested interest in seeing the game fail than you do convincing them otherwise. I just got back from a 3 week break from Star Citizen content. It was refreshing. I'll post again once 3.0 arrives. Regardless of what's said, no one will stop it.
    What possible interest could anyone have in the game failing?
    I'd lose ~50$
    Odeezee

..Cake..

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Sugar Grove, VAMember RarePosts: 2,213
    edited October 5
    MaxBacon said:
    [mod edit]?
    Where are they getting the money to back that project? Backers? I mean they beg every chance they get for more cash for themselves as it is..
    Post edited by Vaross on

edited October 5
    [mod edit]
    SlyLoK said:
    Where are they getting the money to back that project? Backers? I mean they beg every chance they get for more cash for themselves as it is..
    Someone likely who backed a KS project and logged in with the wrong account, the RSI one, then it appears to everyone as a project RSI backed, oups!
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • barasawabarasawa Eugene, ORMember UncommonPosts: 526
    Bored of the wait, bored of the haters, bored of the rhetoric, bored of the hype. Just let me know when they are launching a real product, or when they crash and burn if that happens too. 
    Unless you're talking about DS. I'll jump on to repost that he's a, err, toxic individual that I wouldn't trust as far as I can jump on a galactic blackhole.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Turrets have been one of the frustrating bits, the 1:1 movement with the mouse would be much better but already have people salty at balance cause fast ships gg
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,758
    MaxBacon said:

Essentially you are talking about the iron triangle.

There is also the idea the idea of critical path to consider. The idea of certain tasks that must be completed in a certain order before the project can be complete, and whatever path of tasks is going to take the longest being your critical path.

Sometimes you end up with tasks that throwing more manpower at it doesn't effectively reduce the time as well as it should. I'm sure anyone who's ever worked a real job or taken part in any kind of significant group project has run into situations where if you put too many people on the same task you end up getting in each other's way. In a company with lots of resources, once they go to put workers on the critical path they're going to discover that fairly quickly the tasks you can't really just double up workers on and get done faster will become your new critical path.

I'm assuming that's why they keep widening the scope. They are probably at a point where whatever their critical path is, is something they don't want just throw more bodies at. In the case where you have too much budget but can't effectively cut time, looking back at the iron triangle, that would be a good time to allow some scope creep into the project.
    Gdemami
    Babuinix said:
    hfztt said:
    Babuinix said:

Just saying.
    Not really a "simulation" or a "living breathing universe" makes it another Space themed Lego building game alike.
    We were talking actual delivered gameplay. SC currently neither sports that kind of gameplay. 

You moved the goal posts mate. Not accepted.
    ScotchUpOdeezee
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy DublinMember RarePosts: 2,506
    From the Origin X1 Q&A
    Is uh… this apartment in the background going to be for sale sometime, too? Because that is a REALLY nice place. Love that ultra-minimalist furniture scheme.

No announcement on this just yet! We’re pleased you like it, though!

The view in question.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16155-Q-A-Origin-X1

From the Origin X1 Q&A
    Is uh… this apartment in the background going to be for sale sometime, too? Because that is a REALLY nice place. Love that ultra-minimalist furniture scheme.

No announcement on this just yet! We’re pleased you like it, though!

The view in question.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16155-Q-A-Origin-X1

CIG selling in-game real-estate? 
    Star Citizen players asking to buy it?
    Colour me surprised!

..Cake..

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 7,956
    edited October 5
    sgel said:
    Colour me surprised!

Guess what all the work about planetary base building was all about ?  ;-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7022-Star-Citizen-Planets-Survival-amp-Base-Building

Or all that hangar decorations ? I would compare it with the level of decorations in SWTOR (with a limited number of location and orientation choices)

It is not quite on the level of Star Wars Galaxies interior design yet, but getting closer. In SWG you were able to freely place and rotate all manner of parts, which allowed the player to create new and creative pieces that no developer has ever thought of.

http://www.onlinewelten.com/image/7040919631f3c918e913e0f901461204/title/screen0/1000/800/newsinline/pic-1391.jpg

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAMember RarePosts: 1,813
    edited October 5
    Erillion having to work over time since Max got a vacation. He has the last responses to every current SC topic right now. Other than this one of course. Which he did have before I made this post.

I took a screenshot to preserve it. A lot of red 'banned' placards and a lot of rabbits with sunglasses.

It really does highlight the amount of 'interest' there is here when there are 9 topics with activity in past 48 hours and Max or Erillion started or had the last post in 7 of them. Probably would have been 8 but one of them was closed and i am sure Max was banned during his repsonse....
    Post edited by rodarin on
    Odeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,717
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    Colour me surprised!

Guess what all the work about planetary base building was all about ?  ;-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7022-Star-Citizen-Planets-Survival-amp-Base-Building

Or all that hangar decorations ? I would compare it with the level of decorations in SWTOR (with a limited number of location and orientation choices)

It is not quite on the level of Star Wars Galaxies interior design yet, but getting closer. In SWG you were able to freely place and rotate all manner of parts, which allowed the player to create new and creative pieces that no developer has ever thought of.

http://www.onlinewelten.com/image/7040919631f3c918e913e0f901461204/title/screen0/1000/800/newsinline/pic-1391.jpg

Have fun

SWG did have a great idea.  Drop down permissions list.  You could place vendors in your home to sell you goods.  Anyone could enter if you wanted and have a look around at how well you decorated the place.  You could pack it up and move to another planet.  Anyone with the money could buy a guild hall and use that as a home or create a mall for several vendors.

"Change is the only constant."

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy DublinMember RarePosts: 2,506
    edited October 5
    Dual Universe is also making use of a permission system that I thought looked quite interesting, 6 mins 30 secs in.

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on
    SlyLoK